Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 AM   #701
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Truthiness? Where have I heard that before... is it from a book?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #702
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
make sense to whom? The majority?
basically

Quote:
ahh, but you don't like majority rules (unless you agree with that particular issue...)
there are many things i like and don't like, and i'm not afraid to express my opinions... but i also support the rules of the majority in the end... it's the basis for democracy... are you implying that you can not both respect and disagree with certain laws at the same time?

Quote:
The enlightened? But how do we determine who is enlightened if truth is relative?
who are these enlightened you speak of?

all i'm saying is that it is my impression that most people don't take the bible as literally as they may have 1000 years ago... they pick and choose and interpret for themselves, as opposed to letting preachers do it for them

is this a scientific observation? no... but i think it is an accurate one, at least in the united states
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #703
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Everything is absolutely relative, eh, BJ?

I disagree, but then you knew that. However, if I were to accept your view for argument's sake, kill you because you annoy me with your views, and then revert to absolute relativism, should I have to do penance or get the Congressional Medal?
no... everything is relative... it is the absolute you must free yourself from

any of our personal morality is tempered by the fact that we live in a society with other human beings... our own personal existance and survival depends upon this very society and functioning within it in a peaceful manor... that is why you would just be hurting yourself if you choose to hurt others
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #704
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins

any of our personal morality is tempered by the fact that we live in a society with other human beings... our own personal existance and survival depends upon this very society and functioning within it in a peaceful manor... that is why you would just be hurting yourself if you choose to hurt others
Avoidance, avoidance, BJ!

I think I would get the Congressional Medal. And, relatively, it's only what I think that counts. Your attention to society is merely sneaking in the absolute by another route and asserting its applicability because of the (now) absolute role of society.

Gotcha!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #705
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
And, relatively, it's only what I think that counts.
no, it's what you think and the society you live in thinks... you are not an island... but if you don't believe me, you can try an experiment i guess

Quote:
Your attention to society is merely sneaking in the absolute by another route and asserting its applicability because of the (now) absolute role of society.

Gotcha!
society is not absolute at all, it is actually very fluid... at any slice in location an time there are certain moralities basically held as "good for society" by the majority... but these moralities are often very different, and sometimes contradictory from place to place and time to time

you see this in humanity's past, and will see it in our future, not matter what supposed "absolutes" were penned in antiquity
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #706
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, BJ, but you are no less absolute because you profess 'fluidity'. You merely assert the absolutism of societies current judgment. How is that less absolute in function than my professed acknowledgment of absolute truth? It is not. I submit to the Tao because it is universal. You make the present which you happen to agree with universal.

A rose by any other name is yet a rose, old man!

And, by the by, you dis the majority where you disagree and assert it where you agree. Notice a non-sequiter there by any chance?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-17-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #707
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
absolute
noun
1 absolute

something that is conceived to be absolute; something that does not depends on anything else and is beyond human control; "no mortal being can influence the absolute"
it is different because society can change... your "absolute truths" can not... barring a "second coming"

and i'll refer to what i said to R*an:

Quote:
there are many things i like and don't like, and i'm not afraid to express my opinions... but i also support the rules of the majority in the end... it's the basis for democracy... are you implying that you can not both respect and disagree with certain laws at the same time?
expressing one's opinion is not the same as disregarding the will of the majority... but one who views the world as absolutes has a hard time making that distinction... which brings us back to obi-wan's statement to annakin
Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #708
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Is that statement absolutely true or relatively true?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-17-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #709
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Is that statement absolutely true or relatively true?
relatively true as far as humanity is concerned... if there are any absolutes in this universe they are far beyond our ability to perceive
Old 01-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #710
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
if there are any absolutes in this universe they are far beyond our ability to perceive
Are you absolutely sure about this?
(you relative guys keep making absolute statements!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #711
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
relatively true as far as humanity is concerned... if there are any absolutes in this universe they are far beyond our ability to perceive
That's a contradiction in terms, though saying what you were saying was absolutely true likewise would have been self-contradictory. Either way, it's self-contradictory.

If the statement that "everything is relative" is relatively true (or fairly true), then it's also relatively untrue, and if it's relatively untrue, then it cannot be "everything" that you're talking about, but only those parts of reality about which what you're saying is true. Therefore you're no longer talking about "everything" but about "some things," saying, "some things are relative," rather than "everything is relative."
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #712
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure about this?
(you relative guys keep making absolute statements!)
of course i'm not absolutely sure... at least not i the way you imply... if you mean "am i convinced that i'm right"... yes... if you mean "do i hold this as some universal truth"... no

there are no universal truths... whether you can see it or not

i'm just trying to answer lief's question... any opinion i hold, any opinion you hold, and any opinion lief holds, is relative to personal experience and personal interpretation of that experience

even something as "set in stone" as the bible can be interpreted quite differently by two different people... why, because perception is relative
Old 01-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #713
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
That's a contradiction in terms, though saying what you were saying was absolutely true likewise would have been self-contradictory. Either way, it's self-contradictory.

If the statement that "everything is relative" is relatively true (or fairly true), then it's also relatively untrue, and if it's relatively untrue, then it cannot be "everything" that you're talking about, but only those parts of reality about which what you're saying is true. Therefore you're no longer talking about "everything" but about "some things," saying, "some things are relative," rather than "everything is relative."
now you are arguing semantics

let's say "everything that humans know about the universe around us is relative to our ability to perceive that very universe"
Old 01-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #714
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
... any opinion i hold, any opinion you hold, and any opinion lief holds, is relative to personal experience and personal interpretation of that experience

even something as "set in stone" as the bible can be interpreted quite differently by two different people... why, because perception is relative
Excellent point.

Quote:

let's say "everything that humans know about the universe around us is relative to our ability to perceive that very universe"
MOST Excellent.

Let us try to read and digest what a member has posted before we get upset about it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #715
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just don't buy this wholesale perception problem thingy. If it's true, then I shouldn't be graded down in math class if I perceive that 1 + 1 is 3.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #716
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
There you go again, BJ, making an absolute statement.

or

Ereht uoy og niaga, JB, gnikam na etulosba tnemetats.

or

Tnemetats etulosba na making, JB, niaga og ouy ereht.

There is in fact a moral grammar of the universe to which you constantly appeal in favor of your argumentation - which if it exists belies your argument.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #717
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I just don't buy this wholesale perception problem thingy. If it's true, then I shouldn't be graded down in math class if I perceive that 1 + 1 is 3.
You get problems like that in math class!!!
Quote:
I'm pointing out that things can't be all relative, for if they are all relative, that still leaves the absolute truth that they are all relative. If one says that there is no absolute truth that they are all relative, then that means absolutes exist. So all things can't be relative. Explain to me how that doesn't make sense.
Quote:
This seems to make sense. I can't very quickly think of a counter-example. By "perceive," I'm assuming that you mean through any of a broad range of ways, including logic, deduction, observation, faith or other. There also can be a significant amount of error in the knowledge we gain from those different sources. However, this is not relativity in the state of things that you're pointing out, but rather an error factor in human understanding.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-18-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #718
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

kudos everyone, quite an amusing debate.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #719
Rían

Quote:
Words are important; they mean things: they convey ideas and information.

Quote:
Yes, but if you aren't willing to grant the basic reliability of the senses, on which all of science is founded, then why bother to talk?

Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #720
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
There you go again, BJ, making an absolute statement.
it's only absolute if you define it as such... you are giving me far too much credit