Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #701
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl nodded, and set off at medium pace towards an area she had noticed earlier, where edible plants, roots, and wild fruits and berries had seemed abundant. She would be able to collect enough to last her a few days at least, if she had room enough in her bag to carry it all.

Only a few minutes after they had left the camp, Tabrîl stopped, and turned to Haldis. In truth, this was partially to make sure the woman could keep up with her, as Tabrîl did not intend to walk too quickly and leave her trailing too far behind. There was also, however, something she needed to ask.

'Do you know what to look for? If you do not, I will show you.' A reassurance of sorts, that Tabrîl would not look down on her for not knowing. She had no reason to assume Haldis was familiar with this sort of work, and there were many plants in the forest. Not all of them were nourishing.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #702
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis appreciated the slower pace, for she was indeed still a little tired and she had started to lag behind, just a tad, when Tabrîl stopped.

The questioning of her knowledge was said kindly enough that she was not quite offended, but still, her answer came out ever so slightly sharp.

"It is possible you may know of something edible that I do not," Haldis said, "But I have lived alone in the forest for many years and my neighbors do look to me for herb lore. I can tell a poisonous plant from an edible one."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #703
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Her response made Tabrîl smile. She very much doubted that what Haldis termed 'many years' would mean very much to her, but it seemed there was an odd pride in her answer. She would allow Haldis that, at least.

'Good.' It was all the answer she needed to give, and so she continued onward. When they had reached the spot in the forest she had been looking for, Tabrîl immediately set about her task. The land was fruitful here, and sustaining, and for this reason it did not seem as hostile to Tabrîl as it did earlier.

She had collected her third handful of berries before she thought to glance over at Haldis, just to make sure that she fared well with their work.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #704
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis was faring quite well, perched rather precariously in a crabapple tree, so as to reach the fruit in the higher branches. She had tied her cloak into a bag and was swiftly filling it.

This was familiar work to her, having done it both as a girl, as a wife, and more recently as a widow (though all those years since was old enough to join in the foraging and the harvest were little more than a blink of an eye to an elf, numbering not yet a score and five), and Tabrîl had chosen an excellent spot, one Haldis had missed passing by earlier.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #705
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Although she was satisfied now that Haldis did indeed know what she was looking for, Tabrîl was a little concerned by her methods.

'Take care that you do not fall,' she called to her. To drop from such a height would likely do Tabrîl no great damage, but mortals were fragile creatures, and she did not want to have to carry Haldis back to camp should she do herself an injury.

Her note of caution aside, however, Tabrîl was enjoying her work. It was familiar enough to her now that even in a land she had never walked through before, she knew precisely where to look, and her bag was filling rapidly. She made sure to take a number of different foods, since it was only herself she needed to provide for, and she would want variety.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #706
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis nodded, though her response went unseen, and when she thought she had gathered enough of the fruits, scrambled down. She had seen a hazel tree not far off, and made for it, stopping briefly to pluck a handful of leaves from a plant she knew to be good medicinally.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #707
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

For an uwindon, Tabrîl was beginning to think, Haldis was quite good at this. She worked quickly, and did not interrupt with needless questions or chatter. She would not mind taking her to forage again. Which was for the best, since really she had no choice in the matter..

She put the last of the leafy plants she had harvested in the top of her bag, which by now was full almost to overflowing, and waited for Haldis to collect the last of what she required before looking to her with a slight smile.

'We have done well tonight,' she said.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #708
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis smiled, checking her bag and scanning the area for anything usful she might have missed. They had done well. The fruits and nuts she had found would keep for a long time once dried, and she had found several plants that would be needed in the event of illness or injuries.

Finally, she looked up at Tabrîl, nodding, "I think I am ready to return for the night, if you are done," she paused, "You know that you are welcome to share food with the rest of us, yes?" she asked, "The supplies were mostly brought by my arrangment, and replenishing them is not so difficult at this time of year."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #709
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim sighed odviously Abasi had no more to say, he turned and walked off deciding to patrol the camp.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #710
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl shook her head. 'I can provide for myself,' she told Haldis. Did she doubt that, even after what she had just seen? Tabrîl did not need their assistance, and she couldn't help wondering if Haldis meant to offend her, for her words seemed to be said kindly. Then again, it seemed to be a talent of these uwindi, these lightly offered insults.

'And I am finished. We will return, then.' It was all she could say. Haldis' remarks had left her entirely confused.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #711
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"I did not mean to offend you," Haldis said, she was beginning to recognise Tabrîl's 'insulted' tone, "It would be a grave breach of courtesy on my part not to offer. You may accept or not as you please."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #712
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

At this Tabrîl relaxed. 'It would seem that courtesies differ, between our peoples,' she explained. It was difficult even for her to explain it. Among the Kindi it would have been straightforward, that the m'haid, the warriors who went out away from home, would provide for the rest. But how was Tabrîl to determine who was a warrior among uwindi, and who was not? To offer to her, in any case, was to assume that she was incapable.

'Do not worry,' she said at last, awkwardly. 'It was meant well.' The fact that Haldis showed her courtesy at all did not go unnoticed, even if it was not in a fashion she understood. She slung her bag over her shoulder, and turned to make her way back to the camp.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #713
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi looked up when Tabrîl returned, followed by the strange uwindi woman. He frowned, then stood in one fluid movement, and joined them.

'You should have told me you were looking for food. I would have helped.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #714
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"How do they differ?" Haldis was asking as they reached the camp, curious, "You have not said, but you seem offended by many things which even the strangest of this group consider normal. Beorning steadings are scattered and I am a widow, is it really so strange to you that I should know how to provide for myself? Furthermore, I am a Galdorwyf; I am accustomed to providing for many when there is little and I must travel the woods alone simply to see the neighbors I must care for. Do you have no women among you who do this?"
The woman's tone was of honest confusion and she sincerely hoped that this time Tabrîl would give even a partial answer.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 05-11-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #715
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami turned and looked at the beautiful deer in the clearing. It was almost and shame to kill it, it was so peaceful in the clearing. Nami thought of the meal they would shortly have off the dear and smiled, "Almost a shame" she wispered to her self as she draw her bow. Taking a moment to aim and steady her hand, Nami waited for the right moment to release her arrow. In the stillness of the forest Nami released her arrow and watched its track to the deer.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #716
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

It had been inevitable, Tabrîl thought. Haldis was asking her to explain. She frowned slightly. 'I am offended by that which insults me,' she stated, 'whether intentionally or otherwise. I will not accept such things.' What uwindi found insulting was no concern of hers, and she was entirely puzzled by Haldis' talk of women travelling in the woods.

'I do not know you,' she said then. 'And so I did not know how much you knew. Among the Kindi, those who do not fight do not provide, it is too dangerous for them to walk the lands as we who are m'haid do.' It was a brief explanation, but all she intended to give, she was not about to discuss the workings of her society.

Abasi approached them then, and Tabrîl blinked in surprise at his words. She had not thought to ask him, she had been under the impression that he wished to spend time alone. It was a desire she could understand, and so it had not occurred to her that he might have thought otherwise.

'I did not know you wished to help,' she said slowly. 'It appeared to me that you did not want company.' Particularly not her company, after the way he had left earlier.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #717
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis frowned, puzzled, "You do not grow things? Or keep animals for milk or eggs? Surely you have some among you who keep the bee-hives and know which plants are good for healing, even if you live so close that they need not wander."
She was addressing both Tabrîl and Abasi now and pressing the questions a little more insistantly.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #718
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

'We do not participate in farming. We hunt and gather, but that is done by the m'haid, and the m'haid alone. Why does this seem so odd to you?'

He crossed his arms and looked at her for a moment, uncomfortable, as was Tabrîl, of elaborating on the structure of his society.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 05-11-2008, 05:43 AM   #719
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"You hunt?" Haldis wrinkled her nose, "We rarely hunt. Only when there is no other choice. The skin-changers do not approve of it," she paused as a horrible thought ocurred, "You do not hunt bears, do you? I know some think their meat is good," this last was said with obvious disgust.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #720
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi looked at her with something very close to disgust.

'We do not eat warm-blooded flesh. We hunt snakes and fish. That is all.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Closed Thread