Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 05:56 PM   #681
Huan
Elven Warrior

I just read a very funny book about the White Album. I'm currently reading The English: A Portrait of a People, by Jeremy Paxman. It's extremely entertaining; it turns out the English are interesting! Recently finished Michael Moore's Stupid White People and Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island and I'm a Stranger Here Myself (I think those are the correct titles). Still plowing through Stephen Pinker's The Language Instinct and just started A New Comparative Grammar of Greek and Latin. Sounds like a real page-turner doesn't it?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #682
Phooka
Hobbit

I'm reading a compilation of assorted haunted house tales, yes, I love this stuff.

It's one in the "Mammoth" series.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:58 AM   #683
Millane
The Dude

Marilyn Manson's autobiodraphy The Long Hard Road out of Hell ... well what can i say the bloke is a tad wierd but he is undeniably a genius and this shows through in this book... ummm its very intelligent philosophically and raises many issues about the society we live in... im only about halfway through and it is dominated by drugs and all sorts of weird sex and his rejection of christianity... f***ed yes, good read though
Old 03-31-2003, 06:15 PM   #684
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I am now reading "Stargirl" for my light reading, when I need a break from Count of Monte Cristo. It's a book about nonconformity (), and someone told me that I should read it, because I reminded her of Stargirl. I don't know how, since I'm not nearly the individual Stargirl was...we'll see, I haven't reached the end of the book.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:46 PM   #685
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Starr, are you enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo? My friend recommended it to me and I hope to read it soon. Right now I'm starting Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Old 04-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #686
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

It's okay. I liked Wuthering Heights better.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #687
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
Old 04-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #688
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Right now I'm reading The Unicorn War by John Lee. Not really 'high' fantasy but surprisingly enjoyable.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:48 PM   #689
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I am reading Doctor Zhivago, Siddharta, and Canterbury Tales.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:37 PM   #690
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

The Count of Monte Cristo is extremely slow sometimes! It's infuriating. I'll get through it though. I've heard it gets better after some slow spots in the middle.

I finished Stargirl the first day I got it, so now I'm reading Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison. It's supposed to be a good, quirky book. I also have two more books I bought today for when I'm done with that.

I love books.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:34 PM   #691
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Books rock.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-03-2003, 08:00 PM   #692
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Just finished Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Definitely can relate some of the events in the story to my freshman year in high school (not all of them, thank goodness.) A good, depressing book. It was an Edgar Allen Poe Award Finalist.

Hmm...should I start on J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century, or actually read Count? It's sooo boring. Blah.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #693
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Shippey's Author of the Century is probably the best Tolkien analysis I've read. I urge you to wolf it down right away.

But don't leave a book unfinished if you're already on it. It's near impossible to get back to it afterwards...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
Old 04-04-2003, 12:50 PM   #694
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

"The Crusades", by Hans Meyer- it just seemed appropriate for these times- but that's another thread altogether

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 04-04-2003, 06:04 PM   #695
Earniel

I finished the Unicorns so now I'm reading From Aegir to Ymir by Paula Vermeyden and the Lays of Beleriand. It's obvious the holidays have started.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #696
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

I'm reading A Ring of Endless Light by Madeline L'lengle. I usually chose books with higher standards, though it is a fairly good book, but at my school, we have to get a certain amount of "points" by reading and then taking a test on a book, and I'm only reading it because I'm in desperate need of points.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #697
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I'm reading The Two Towers (again). I've only 30 pages to go, then I'm off to read The Return of The King again.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #698
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
....and the Lays of Beleriand. It's obvious the holidays have started.
Oh, let me know what you think of Lays of B! Enjoy the hols Did your practical (?) get finished?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 04-05-2003, 05:06 PM   #699
Earniel

Yep, practical got finished, not without SOME serious prodding myself to get it (barely) finished in time. (I discovered a typing error just before handing it in. whei!) But holidays it is! And when I should actually also be doing some studying I can't help it but catching up with my reading and I've been ogling the Lays of Beleriand for half a year now. I just couldn't help myself anymore. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:23 PM   #700
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I got to write a book report on the Silmarillion earlier. I got an honours, which is the Public School equivalent of an A.
I was happy. He said I took a very confusing book and wrote a very concise and clear summary.

Considering that I really only summarized two chapters, and it's impossible to summarize in one page in it's entirety, it's pretty good.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Closed Thread