Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #681
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

...I live in a 200+ year old house....

K, not quite the same.

Happy: Work is out!!!! Sound the whistle, start up the car, get me home now!!!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #682
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
holy smokes! What a deal THAT was!!!

We have a friend who left his 1800's bible with us...
I once was within seven seconds of getting a Rituale Romanum printed in, if I recall, 1612 for around a hundred dollars. Things like that are what make me love ebay.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #683
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm happy because my brother sent me the soundtrack to Rent (with the original cast) for my birthday.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 08-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #684
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I got a 5-volume set of the Summa Theologica in Latin a few months ago for under 50 dollars, inc. s&h; today I found out that it's approximately one hundred twenty years old. This makes me very happy indeed, especially since it's in very good condition.
*JEALOUS*
Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #685
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oooh. Lots to be happy about today.

I'm not so gud with the actual phonetic -sounds- of the IPA alphabet, but I know the letters and their specific names, which no one else did. BOOYA! Of course, knowing the names is pointless if you can't actually use the alphabet, but that's aside from the point.

I've been really diligent about practicing every day since last Thursday, and I'm seeing improvement. Tomorrow I'm going to bump it up to two practices a day, since tonight when I finished vocalizing for 20 solid minutes, I didn't even have the slightest hint of a raw throat, which I do still get a tiny bit of usually.

Also my voice has always sort of 'stop/started' every time I move from a pitch below middle C to one at or above it, and tonight it finally stopped doing that! My voice still gets really thin sounding... but that's going to take more time to fix.

And what I'm most proud of...

My mommy is still makin' SUPER progress with the singing! I'm really excited, and hopefully she still is too! In three and a half months she's learned to detect pitch with excellent accuracy (and she used to say she was tone deaf ^_^), she now -naturally- flips into the head voice (thank the Lord who is almighty and obviously wants her to sing soprano in choir just as much as I do ), and she's gotten much more confident about her voice.

She got a bit annoyed with me tonight, I think, because I kept interrupting her in the middle of her song to fix little things, but they needed fixing as soon as possible to insure they don't become ingrained habits. And hey... we fixed 'em! She still needs to learn to listen to herself a little better, and to feel what's going on more, but heck... three and a half months of lessons (with a student vocalist, no less), and this much progress?

Can I get a HELL YAW?!

She's a natural-born singer, whether she wants to admit it or not. I wish she had the time/money to see a real voice teacher, but... maybe eventually. I can only imagine the progress she could be making with someone who wasn't 'feeling around in the dark' for techniques to help her.

Tonight she sang a soprano line that we worked on from the very first day, and then stopped for a while. It stays comfortably low in the soprano range, but when she first sang it she had to breath every five to seven seconds, and barely made the 'high' note. Well, tonight she sang it again after a long break away from it, and her voice just rang out beautifully--the high note was gorgeous and resonant... it made my ears ring, which is KICKASS!

Also... (I know... THERE'S MORE?!)

I totally am making friends. Tons of friends. FRIENDS OUT THE WAZOO!

Sopranos, baritones, tenors... you name it, they're mah friends . I get to be around people who are as passionate about music as I am all day, and most of them are TOTALLY sweet and amazing. Some as asses, but hey... they can kiss my baritonal tembre.

I'M SO HAPPY!

Last edited by Tessar : 08-27-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #686
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Good for you, Tessar! And for your Mom .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I got a 5-volume set of the Summa Theologica in Latin a few months ago for under 50 dollars, inc. s&h; today I found out that it's approximately one hundred twenty years old. This makes me very happy indeed, especially since it's in very good condition.
Cool!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #687
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

*thumbs up to Tessar*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 08-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #688
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
...I live in a 200+ year old house....
Anmd you haven't told me this in all the conversations we've had! I feel betrayed..like I don't know you anymore or something

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #689
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh Hector. You're such a drama queen .

I met my new voice teacher today!

OMG YAY!!!!!!!!!!! So 'cited! She's really awesome, and showed me how to stand better when I sing, and told me that I have a really beautiful voice, and that I have a large range, and that my diction is horrible, and that I don't place my voice correctly, and that I have a large voice for someone of my age/vocal range, and that I have a really good legato, and that my low notes are awesome, and that I have way too much jaw tension, and that my tongue is way too tense in my mouth, and that I need to fix the way that I 'attack' the note in the first second of sound production for each new note, and that my voice is really flexible...

AND THAT I GET TO BE ONE OF THE FIRST STUDENTS TO SING IN FRONT OF THE OTHER STUDENTS THIS NEXT THURSDAY. EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Now I have to practice, practice, practice, because no way I'm going to remember all of this from just a few practices, and I want to put some of it into effect by Thursday, and I need to write down everything that she said so that I can remember it.

I AM SO EXCITED.

Also she guessed that I was a lyric baritone, which is pretty much what everyone has been telling me lately (except for a few people who think I'm a tenor).

ALSO, I get to sing tenor in the choir because the tenor section has no self confidence, and I don't mind screeching out wrong notes. And a bunch of the tenors told me my voice was awesome. Which is one of those 'grain of salt things' since I wasn't good enough to get into the audition choir . So apparently I'm really good for a non-music major, but kind of sucky for a music major. That's okay. I can work with that.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! *runs around in circles till he falls down*

But omg. So much homework... o.O It burnzzzz us. This is really hard, but at least I feel like it's a 'hard' challenge that I can actually handle.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #690
hectorberlioz

Tessar, sounds like you're having a blast! Just don't impose your rigid happiness on us. Not good form

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 08-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #691
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Our son's football team won last night - they're 2 and 0! And I'm really enjoying the games and understanding a lot more. He starts at right guard, and I finally know what that is. I don't even watch the ball - I just watch him, and it's really fun to see how what he does affects the entire play, esp. when he slips out and blocks, and then "suddenly" there's "magically" a hole for the runner to run through - that would NOT have been there if he didn't make his block down field. You never see those things if you're just watching the ball.

Tomorrow I'm having the entire offensive line over for an all-you-can-eat burrito bar and swimming and Madden08 on the Wii and watching the game film. Am I insane or what? I'll prob. need at least 20 pounds of ground beef, plus all the other stuff But he loves when I do burrito bars for his teams.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #692
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yay! The pool repair guy just left and fixed the pool pump in time for the party tomorrow! He made a special effort and some extra phone calls and got it done Yay!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:53 PM   #693
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
But omg. So much homework... o.O It burnzzzz us. This is really hard, but at least I feel like its a 'hard' challenge that I can actually handle.
I know exactly what you mean. This year, homework is consuming so much more time than it ever did freshman and sophomore years! But it's still something I can handle; it's not so much that the material is incredibly hard (not most of the time, anyway), it's just the sheer quantity that befuddles me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #694
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Gosh, I've missed this thread.

Best town fair ever. And people love me. *happy sighs*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #695
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

I'm so glad college is in my distant past.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #696
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie
I'm so glad college is in my distant past.
Maybe future, too?

Life is long, Old One.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 09-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #697
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

Experiences are my teachers now Sis. (May I call you that?)
Old 09-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #698
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
Maybe future, too?

Life is long, Old One.
Wish I had enough money and stamina to keep on studying for the rest of my life!
I want to learn Russian, Norwegian, native-level English, improve my German, study business management, human resources, economics, psychology, playing contra-bass, piano, learn how to sing properly (teach me oh mighty Tessar!), learn how to read even faster, learn how to properly and effecitvely talk to people on a formal level. Also want to learn Korean, more Japanese, Arabic oh and I should learn proper Dutch >_<

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #699
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie
Experiences are my teachers now Sis. (May I call you that?)
If you're really an old hippie, experiences were your teachers, then, too.
Sis is fine, although longtime posters sometimes save that for SisterGolden Hair, I believe. I also go as siscuz, and Lief thinks I'm a man named Earl, due
to confusions unique to him.

Just don't call me late to dinner.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #700
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

SisCuz it is. Thanks. Although Earl kinda cracks me up a bit. HMM, maybe I'll go with Earl just 'cause.

Last edited by OldHippie : 09-03-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Closed Thread