Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #681
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Actually the "good guys" knew that Darth Vader wasnt entirely and completely evil. And that redemption could occur...
Luke was the one who thought that. Ironically, Obi-Wan, the one who said that thing about absolutes, disagreed with him on that point. And the Emperor was pure, undiluted evil .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #682
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well sure. The emporer was the devil. And Darth was the fallen christ. And Luke was the resurected christ who only through him could the father be saved. And in the end he was. And we had the father, son and obi's ghost.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 01-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #683
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Actually the "good guys" knew that Darth Vader wasnt entirely and completely evil. And that redemption could occur...
You never read my posts

That's why I specifically did NOT say THEY were "entirely and completely evil" themselves; I said they were "doing bad things and need to be stopped".

And the good guys (or FOGALs, as we call them in our rpg) certainly seemed to have NO problem with calling some of the things Vader and the emperor were doing "evil" or "wrong" or other such bothersome, absolute-y terms, and NO problem doing whatever could be done to stop them.

Riiiiiiiiiiight?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #684
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Sense of humor alert...

So can we explore the Theology of Star Wars then?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #685
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, you responded to my comment seriously with "Actually the "good guys" knew that Darth Vader wasnt entirely and completely evil. And that redemption could occur..."

why can't I respond to YOUR comment seriously without triggering SOH alarms?

(prob. because I'm right and you have no other defense except to claim lack of SOH? )

I think that Star Wars "sith" line is one of those lines that SOUND reeeeeeeally intelligent and profound (and can lead to some grave errors) but completely falls apart upon examination; therefore IMHO it should be commented on so people can see how self-contradictory it is.

And I agree with what you said, btw, that "Actually the "good guys" knew that Darth Vader wasnt entirely and completely evil. And that redemption could occur..." - that's why I worded my post the way I did

(and speaking of SOH, your "obi-ghost" was really funny! Did you make that one up?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #686
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
why can't I respond to YOUR comment seriously without triggering SOH alarms?

(prob. because I'm right and you have no other defense except to claim lack of SOH? )
Dream on as usual. Actually Lief had already countered my point and I had used his counter as an opportunity to flesh out the FICTION that is Star Wars into a pseudo christian allegory one liner. Ha ha. Debate ended. No need to reattack after one concedes a point by use of transitioning the point into an opportunity for humor rather then argument. But THEN you come running in with your post yelling and over analyzing about how I should have interpreted your post. And thats why you needed to be given a sense of humor alert.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #687
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Sense of humor alert...

So can we explore the Theology of Star Wars then?
YES! a theological Arguement that is ideally suited for me, a sith lord and expert upon the now extinct or at least rare jedi *looks over shoulder* lief you're not around are you? ok no jedi, where were we?

I-Rex-FICTION that is starwars? you're making me want to change my avatar well not really. ha "obi's ghost" nice one dude, if you don't mind I think i'll use that one myself..

Rian- you are way right the jedi accuse of us of having absolutes, ARE YOU KIDDING the sith as an order can't afford absolutes, its the highest bidder and the most power for us, not so with the jedi, they get all bent out of shape if you want to use force lightning and kill sand people, not only that, misguided souls like Mace Windu believe loyalty democracy and freedom are the answers to the Republics strife, fool that he is, the EMPIRE solves all of the problems the Republic had and....oh yeah sorry for the political propaganda, but anyway to set the record straight the sith don't give a rip about absolutes thats the jedi talk to them about absolutes.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #688
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Okay, I personally think the Star Wars theology/philosophy is really out of place in this topic. There are two points I would like very much to make in response to Rohirrim about Star Wars, but as I think this isn't the thread for it, I'll make a new one in the Star Wars forum.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #689
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Okay, I personally think the Star Wars theology/philosophy is really out of place in this topic.
yeah, who brought that up anyway... sheesh
Old 01-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #690
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

What were we talking about anyways?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #691
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
What were we talking about anyways?
If Jesus purposely lied by saying he was Yahweh in order to make his message about loving others more quickly accepted by others, was this white lie acceptable or not?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #692
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
If Jesus purposely lied by saying he was Yahweh in order to make his message about loving others more quickly accepted by others, was this white lie acceptable or not?
it goes back to the man vs. message debate... or whether it is even acceptable to separate man from message

i personally believe that the teachings stand on their own, no matter who they were delivered by... though i think a few disagree
Old 01-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #693
Rían

Quote:
Dream on as usual. Actually Lief had already countered my point and I had used his counter as an opportunity to flesh out the FICTION that is Star Wars into a pseudo christian allegory one liner. Ha ha. Debate ended. No need to reattack after one concedes a point by use of transitioning the point into an opportunity for humor rather then argument. But THEN you come running in with your post yelling and over analyzing about how I should have interpreted your post. And thats why you needed to be given a sense of humor alert.
"Debate ended"? Who made you the debate arbitrator? Certainly not me! I'm not online all the time and if I see something when I log on that I want to respond to, then I will

Your post was in response to mine, and I couldn't help that I was offline when you and Lief had your posts, so when I saw that you apparently misinterpreted my post I thought I would correct it, because to me it's a critical distinction between a person's actions and a person. I enjoyed your joke, but I also wanted to correct something that I thought you had misunderstood in my post. I agree with you that "Actually the "good guys" knew that Darth Vader wasnt entirely and completely evil. And that redemption could occur...", but the "actually" was what I was objecting to, since its use implies that you were correcting something I was saying, and you weren't because I didn't say it.

If that makes sense

What I was saying was that some of their ACTIONS were evil, and the good guys didn't seem to have any trouble being absolute about that.

I just love calling relativists out when they're being absolute

Last edited by Rían : 01-16-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #694
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

TAKE A DEEP BREATH -EVERYONE

let's not get too steamed up, lest you violate Moot Rules
Old 01-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #695
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
"Debate ended"? Who made you the debate arbitrator? Certainly not me! I'm not online all the time and if I see something when I log on that I want to respond to, then I will
By saying, "Debate ended," he was just saying that he accepted my point about Star Wars. I guess he was also working on the assumtion that you and I were of like mind on the matter, as we often are, so accepting my point would be ending the debate.

By accepting my point, he acknowledged that there are absolutes in Star Wars. So I think that that would conclude that particular line of debate, don't you?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-16-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #696
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
it goes back to the man vs. message debate... or whether it is even acceptable to separate man from message

i personally believe that the teachings stand on their own, no matter who they were delivered by... though i think a few disagree
So, BJ, the conveyor of truth was a liar when he said he was God, but his ideas are still good? Do I understand you correctly?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #697
Rían

Quote:
By saying, "Debate ended," he was just saying that he accepted my point about Star Wars. I guess he was also working on the assumtion that you and I were of like mind on the matter, as we often are, so accepting my point would be ending the debate.

By accepting my point, he acknowledged that there are absolutes in Star Wars. So I think that that would conclude that particular line of debate, don't you?
but that wasn't what I was trying to clear up

IRex and I often misunderstand each other, and I don't like for those misunderstandings to stand, because then people have false ideas about a person, which is a bad thing IMO. I've had people say the weirdest things about me and what they think I believe, and they're totally wrong! I want to know what IRex thinks, and I want him to know what I think, and I want any misunderstandings to be cleared up. That's what I was trying to do.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #698
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
So, BJ, the conveyor of truth was a liar when he said he was God, but his ideas are still good? Do I understand you correctly?
exactly!

ideas can be appreciated for their own sake if you just give it a chance... the point is not whether or not jesus was a liar, or even existed for that matter... the point is that the facts just don't matter... the words stand on their own, even today... that is why they are powerful, because they make sense

and why the parts of the bible that don't particularly make that much sense are not quite so powerful these days
Old 01-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #699
Rían

make sense to whom? The majority? ahh, but you don't like majority rules (unless you agree with that particular issue...) The enlightened? But how do we determine who is enlightened if truth is relative?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #700
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
exactly!

ideas can be appreciated for their own sake if you just give it a chance... the point is not whether or not jesus was a liar, or even existed for that matter... the point is that the facts just don't matter... the words stand on their own, even today... that is why they are powerful, because they make sense

and why the parts of the bible that don't particularly make that much sense are not quite so powerful these days
Everything is absolutely relative, eh, BJ?

I disagree, but then you knew that. However, if I were to accept your view for argument's sake, kill you because you annoy me with your views, and then revert to absolute relativism, should I have to do penance or get the Congressional Medal?

after all, maybe what you are saying does have some reality, check out this site:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/07/word.contest.ap/

I think you are full of truthiness, BJ.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-16-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Closed Thread