Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #681
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Engineering Building, around 8.30 AM, Tuesday

"Look, look at his ears!" Malaphel pushed Miriel and pointed at the King sitting in front of them. Valandil’s ears were slowly turning crimson. Miriel and the two other girls, two sisters, Loteniel and Lossoniel, giggled excitedly.

"He has swallowed the bite all right" whispered Miriel. They were very proud of the verses, a real masterpiece written by their mother, Lady Nimloth, who knew a lot of Elven lore.

The Chancellor, meanwhile, seemingly oblivious to giggles coming from the last row, was explaining something utterly boring and far beyond their understanding. A handsome dark young man with a thin oriental moustache, in the second row, turned his head and smiled at the girls appreciatively.

"Do you think King Val will come for lunch with us?" Malaphel asked worriedly. "There are nearly four hours before Commerce. We could invite him for lunch to our Palace…"

Miriel frowned "He will hardly come home with us, but why not go together someplace… perhaps to the Herring?"

"That will be cute!" cried Loteniel, the eldest of Elmir Phudd’s nieces. She had been worried that MM’s were going to lead the King away into their private grounds. The King was public property, and the chase was up!

----

The stench of human blood and sweat, mixed with strong floral perfumes, was overwhelming. The Chancellor would have stopped breathing entirely, had he not needed air to continue speaking. Moreover, his sensitive ears caught every whisper coming from the last row.

When the Morgul Lord finished his explanations, he was ready to turn the four giggling females into something VERY unnatural, now and then.

He wiped his hands, stained with chalk, smiled charmingly, and addressed the noisiest of the girls.

"Now, Lady Miriel, please, come forward to the blackboard and calculate the span of the bridge arch under these parameters."

Miriel paled, and opened her mouth like a fish taken out of the water. The others girls grew utterly silent.

"I am afraid I am not too good in maths…" admitted Miriel, blushing.

"That is one of the requirements of the course, Miriel," frowned the Chancellor. "Is anyone of you, young Ladies, able to answer my question?"

The girls were now quiet as mice. No one dared to raise her head to meet Ilmenzor’s gaze.

"I am grieved to tell you, Ladies, that I can’t accept you for the course. I don’t think that you should waste your time sitting here, instead of enjoying the nice weather outside. I bid you farewell, and hope to meet you on lighter occasions."

The girls filed out of the room, dejected. The dark-haired young man in the second row touched Lossoniel's hand as she passed, and winked at her reassuringly. Valandil noticed a hint of evil smile on the Chancellor’s lips, but it was gone almost as soon as it appeared. Now Ilmenzor turned to him and offered him the chalk.

"Now, your Highness, please, answer the question which proved so difficult for our charming maids."

Outside the Engineering building, the girls settled on a bench near the front door to intercept the King at the end of the lesson.

Last edited by Gordis : 01-05-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #682
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

"That's an easy one, Chancellor... er, Professor Ilmenzor," replied Valandil. "Forty-four rangar clear span... 50 rangar center of pier to center of pier. I don't understand why none of those four could get it... the answer is so obvious."

'Oh... and Professor,' Valandil was mentally broadcasting now, 'THANK you!'

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #683
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Tuesday being her day off, Mahtaliel had decided to take a walk around the university before breakfast. Her wandering took her up on the walls, around the various buildings and finally over by the library. She lingered there, sitting beneath a tree and enjoying the sound of the fountain just around the corner.
Mahtaliel wasn't as inclined to revere books as some of her colleagues were, she was really quite glad to be relieved of the care of the library. She still found that part of the campus peaceful though.
Usually peaceful anyway.
Was it becoming impossible to go anywhere around the university without that blasted Galadanunn making a scene? She was seriously beginning to doubt the Chancellor's judgement in hiring the man.

Standing, she turned the corner to see Galadanunn, Sapthan, and Rian disappearing into an alcove; all three looking furious. She hesitated, not wanting to get pulled into whatever it was, it wasn't her place to interfere... but if Galadanunn insisted on antagonizing the students then someone would have to bring it to the Chancellor's attention, and if the student in question was elvish then the someone would probably end up being her regardless, might as well interfere now.

Silently she entered the alcove, stopping just behind Sapthan and touching him lightly on the shoulder, "Is Galadanunn making trouble here?" She whispered.

He nodded and beckoned for her to listen.

"You didn't want a spectacle? Well, I shall make such a spectacle for you that it will be talked about for years all throughout the city, for that book is mine, and you have wrongfully taken it from me." Rian seemed to be doing an admirable job of defending herself, "Now, what is your choice? I advise the first one, for the good of everyone."
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 12-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #684
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Buz's Early Morning

Buz had not really slept Monday night; he'd spent most of the night either frolicking with Lil, or in his study poring over his private collection of ancient spell books, or pacing around downstairs inside the locked wine cellar, drinking and thinking. As much as he was addicted to spending time privately with Lilaenwen, after a point in the night, usually Lil would grow langorously sleepy, whilst Buz would become quite wide awake and sharp of mind.

The morning crept in while he wasn't noticing, but by the sounds and vibrations going on in the kitchen and dining room above him, he realised that it must indeed be breakfast time, and no longer night. He emerged from the cellar, blinking in the irritating morning sunlight that was streaming through the kitchen windows, assailing his face. The young maid Zimra was busying herself with dishes, and gave him an equally painful sunny smile.

"Good Morn to you, sir! Would Sir care for a bite of breakfast or a -"

"No, no thanks," Buz answered gruffly yet not unkindly.

Morning was not his favourite time of day, and little human maids with their cheery dispositions were overwhelming at this hour, to say the least. Buz left the kitchen with haste, and headed out to catch his early morning class taught by his Lord.

After class, he came straight back to Orrodel. He had an idea he wanted to develop, an idea which requireed his ols spell books and the mysteries contained therein. Not only that, but he wanted to get a jump on all his new homework. He intended to get good marks. He wanted to prove to his Nazgullian peers that he wasn't the ho-hum dummy he thought they might think he was; he was SMART and he was going to prove it.

He got home, and first went straight back through the kitchen and down into the wine cellar to grab a couple bottles to take up to his study. Wine helped Buzukhumarz think. As he was passing past the dining room headed toward the stairwell, en route back to his quarters, he overheard snatches of the girls in conversation, and wondered what in middle-earth his feisty dingbat of a lover was trying to get Viv into now.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-23-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM   #685
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

"Maybe he's cuter, but he's not the King," answered Lil aloud, tugging her arm out of Viv's grasp.

"O.K., well just do us both a favour, will you, and try and control yourself a little, Lil," said Viv, beginning to lose patience with Lil and her obstinate ideas. She pushed her hand through her hair, in an attempt to clear the aggravating emotion from her head; and, deciding to give up trying any furthur to caution her sister, Viv gave an irritated little sigh.

"Whatever," said Lilly, causing Viv to roll her eyes in exasperation. At this point, Viv had had enough, and she made to leave her sister in the dining room, but just then, the doorbell rang.

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-22-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #686
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I can’t wait to see Viniglaen again. Hey! I got an idea… Hope she wont think I am too forward. He turned over to Orrodel, which, by now, had become a common destination for Volricom and he knew the way without urging. Volricom, being the extremely smart beast that he was, knew that something was up at that house. And that horse sense of his made it quite clear. He didn’t like it one bit. However, he was obedient to his master’s wishes and didn’t make a fuss. That and now that Laslech was there, he certainly wouldn’t be fussy if Raendil wanted to go visit his female. Or at least, that’s how Volricom thought of it.

“Well boy, might as well go there while I am presentable.” It was about half past nine as Raendil rang the doorbell and was greeted by Penegolod. “Hey, is Lady Viniglaen here?”

“Yes, she is Master Raendil, if you will wait here I shall fetch her. Though I am a bit surprised to see you here.” Penny looked decidedly groggy. Obviously not an early riser...

"Yeah, well, I am used to getting up at dawn, so this isnt too early at all." Penny looked astounded that anybody sane could rise at any hour earlier than ten.

"Well, that's saying something, a noble actually rising with the sun." Penny grinned and then excused himself to go get Viv.

Ray nodded his thanks but didn’t have to wait long as Viniglaen came out of an adjoining room , looking somewhat surprised to see him. “Well funny to see you here. Isn’t it a bit early?” She grinned and for a moment it was a bit awkward, they both wanted to go over and give each other a morning hug, perhaps even a kiss on Ray’s part. Finally Ray grinned and, making sure no one was there to looking, grabbed her and gave her a hug, and a kiss on the cheek.

He didn’t let go immediately, but they were still both a bit stunned. “So, um…I’ll be letting go of you now.” Ray and Viniglaen stepped back, both with slightly pinked cheeks.

“Um, well, Yes. I was hoping, that, er perhaps you would like to come see my actual house.”

“I’d love too, if its anything like the stable it ought to be pretty nice.” Was Viniglaen’s sly reply.

“Well, its much nicer. Though for all my manners, I might as well have been raised in a barn. Either way, the offer stands, if you don’t think its too forward.”
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-23-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #687
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

"Nothing you say to me is too forward," said Viv. "What time, when should I come by?"

"I was thinking, perhaps we could meet there around four, or four-thirty, since I get out of my Commerce class a little before four."

"I have a military history class from four to five."

"Then after that," said Ray, "or if you prefer, let's set a time - say, six o'clock? That'll give you time to do what you have to do, and then we can relax and fix a little dinner, just the two of us."

"Perfect!" said Viv, hiding her worried consternation that her own cooking skills would leave much to be desired. What could she cook? What should she bring? As if reading her, Ray put her at ease.

"I already have a menu in mind, so don't even worry about cooking, I've got it covered," he said, wanting to touch her again but feeling invisible eyes spying on them all of a sudden. Viv felt the eyes, too, and it annoyed her to no end. Between Five, and the irascible Lil, and that little maid, there were bound to be all sorts of eyes checking out the two young lovebirds chatting in the foyer.

"Then, I'll see you at six," Ray said, turning to the door, and Viv instinctively pulled toward him as he opened the door, as if something within her needed to touch him again, needed him to touch her again. He kissed her very quickly, very carefully, on her forhead, and left. She shut the door behind him quietly, and stood there for a second, then turned and made her way back upstairs to her boudoir, to change into a riding outfit. She needed the fresh morning air. She needed a ride on Laslech. And she needed to find Lomi, and send her owl on some reconnaissance missions.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:56 AM   #688
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tuesday,
a long day's ride from Tharbad

Tyaron took out a piece of paper and outlined the dagger on it, then started sketching the pictures he saw in his head. The lines were flowing and graceful, which made the ugliness of the battle even more stark, but the nobleness and courage of the pair of brothers even more beautiful.

Last week, the man had come up to Tyaron while he was waiting for Alagos to pick up some fletching supplies (again!) and struck up a conversation, because he had noticed Tyaron's dagger (which he had taken out and was sharpening) and had been wanting to present an etched one to his son, whose coming-of-age birthday was that year. When he had found out that Tyaron had done the etching himself, and when he had seen Tyaron's sword with its etching, he knew this was the man he wanted to do his son's dagger. He had offered him a great deal of money, but Tyaron had more important things on his mind, and had politely declined, explaining briefly about Rian and that they thought she was very close now.

The man was disappointed but understanding, and asked that Tyaron keep him in mind whenever he should have some free time and if he was in the area, for he would consider his work to be an heirloom for his house. There were not many survivors of the Nirnaeth still alive, and fewer who could do the type of etching that Tyaron could do.

Tyaron agreed; he had liked the man in the few moments they had spent in conversation, and he understood his desire to pass on a special gift to his son at his coming of age. So this man had come to mind when Tyaron had thought to make Rian miss him by absenting himself from Tharbad for a few days - he had decided to take up the commission, since Rian would be busy with classes, anyway.

Even after last night, and when his plea to have his life taken later that night was not answered, he still held to his idea of doing the dagger; even more so, now that death was so much on his mind. He would etch the dagger for the young man as a kind of funeral offering for his own hopes, and then leave Rian and Alagos for the havens, or wherever chance took him - he didn't care. She was in good hands with her brother there now. He would store up some memories of her while he worked, and then buy her a parting gift to remember him by with the money he earned, putting it on her pillow when she was at class and leaving a note behind to explain that he had wearied of this world and could not resist the call over the sea anymore. He wouldn't explain the real reason why he was leaving, because he couldn't bear the thought of her knowing what he had done and thinking ill of him. She may not love him, but at least she seemed to think well of him, and he couldn't bear the thought of that changing.

He sighed and looked at the sketches, then put them in his pack and called Hwesta over. It was time to head back to Tharbad - his tools were there, and he wanted to get started on the work while the picture was so vivid in his mind.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #689
Valandil

At the completion of the lecture, as the other students filed out, Valandil approached the Chancellor.

"Professor Ilmenzor, thank you - today's presentation was very enlightening. I was particularly intrigued by the information on the bridge my father and uncle had built over Anduin - at Osgiliath. We only have poor images in our royal library at Annuminas. Does the University Library have any good information on it?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #690
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

All night long, Jas Fernik dreamt. Unpleasant, strange dreams he did not understand... he woke up several times with a pounding forehead, and a feeling of general unease, and felt very relieved when he saw the first rays of the sun come seeping through his windows, because now he had a chance to get out of bed. Of course, it was typical that just when he decided he wouldn't try sleeping any more that Sleep came to him...

It was around nine that he finally got up. He tried to think what to do all day... his class wasn't until 4 pm... and somehow, he didn't feel much like another drinking bout. And that reminded him of the lovely lady he had met last night, and of his rash promise to send over some wine to her.

So he went down to his wine cellar, which was built under the Wine-tasting building. It was his favourite place in the world... deliciously cool air, casket after casket of the best wines available (for the Chancellor, whatever else he was, was not ungenerous when it came to this), and best of all, a quiet place all of his own. Some nights when it was warm, he even slept there.. but that was a secret, known to none.

And it was after he had selected some choice wines for the Lady Lilaenwen, when he realized with a shock he had never asked her where she lived! Maybe Bumbledore knew?

Now, Jas had a notoriuosly poor sense of direction... people new to Tharbad were warned about asking him for directions, unless of course, they actually enjoyed ending up five miles in the opposite direction to where they were actually headed. It was for him the work of a moment to go left instead of right, and instead of the Commerce building which he was aiming for, by some wierd logic, actually end up in the Engineering building.

Ten minutes later, he had realized he was in the wrong building. But, he had forgotten his way to the front door. He had also forgotten who he was looking for, and he had forgotten why he had a bottle of Linhir '31 under his arm (he had meant to ask Bumble's opinion of it, actually). And he was feeling sleepy. He found an empty classroom, and sitting in a corner, and after a few sips of wine, he promptly fell asleep.

And so, when the Chancellor's Defensive building class entered, they found a slightly dishevelled person already there, snoring loudly, with a wine bottle under his arm, his pink bunny slippers still showing under his dressing robe.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 12-23-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #691
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

University, Tuesday, 9.30 AM.

When Valandil addressed him in mental speech, the Morgul Lord refrained from replying likewise. He was not sure, if, during a direct mind communication, he could shield his mind as efficiently, as was necessary. So he simply nodded, and continued the lesson.

At the completion of the lecture, Valandil approached the Chancellor and asked him, if the Library had some information on the Osgiliath Bridge.

"Of course", replied the Chancellor with a benign smile. "There are copies of the actual architectural plans, and reports on its construction, as well as many skillful drawings of the Bridge. I have twenty minutes now, so I can lead you to the Library myself".

"That would be most generous of you, Lord Chancellor" replied the King, with a slight bow.

They went out of the door of the Engineering building into the broad sunlight. At the sight of Valandil leaving the building, a bright flock of girls, which had gathered on the benches near the entrance, rushed forward. There were many more than four now!

Val stumbled like a cornered animal, and was ready to turn and hide in the building again, if not for the Chancellor. At the sight of his stern face, the girls paused. There was something in his eyes that made them uneasy, and even slightly frightened. The girls curtsied and let them pass unhindered.

Valandil smiled gratefully at Ilmenzor. He thought he could come to actually like the man. The Chancellor smiled back and said "You are not yet safe, your Highness. They are following."

Valandil stole a look back and behold a group of brightly clad girls, no more than twenty paces behind, stalking him. His spirits sunk again.

"I am afraid they will follow you to the Scriptorium", remarked the Chancellor as they reached the Bar Aran Square. "For my part, I don’t want them in the Library any more than you do. Let us come first to the Palace for a cup of Khandian coffee. Then you could exit by another door, and I will send someone to lead you to the Library unobserved."

"I will be forever in your debt" replied the King. Valandil sighed in relief. Indeed, his cousin Ilmenzor was most helpful and understanding.

They turned left, passed through a little gate east of the Main Hall, and strode through the garden in companionable silence. The Morgul Lord used the pause to summon Aiwendis mentally. When they passed through another gate on the left of the Palace, they saw her waiting for them near a fountain.

Aiwendis was clad in a simple, but elegant, light grey dress with a long blue gauze scarf draped over her shoulders. Her shiny black hair, unbound now, and held only by a thin silver circlet, fell down to her waist. With light steps she approached and curtsied before the King.

Aiwendis! Valandil felt his cheeks burning. Details of the night’s dream were replaying again in his mind. Her lips on his neck, her fingers in his hair…

The Chancellor’s eyes were on his face, the grey eyes piercing. "Are you unwell, my King?"

"Uhm, no, I.." he was not sure he understood the question.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-23-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #692
Valandil

What, after all, does one say to the father of the girl that one has been dreaming of?

"... I consider it a pleasure to be guided to information... on Osgiliath's Bridge... by one who must know it so well from personal acquaintance." Valandil said, his eyes turning to the Chancellor, and then back to Aiwendis as he spoke of her.

His cousin Ilmenzor seemed quite satisfied with his answer, smiled slightly and instructed Aiwendis to guide him on to the Library, and to require Sapthan to gather for his perusal all materials on the Bridge at Osgiliath. "First," he added, "The King may desire the refreshment of some Khandian coffee." and then he excused himself from them, turned on his heel and re-traced his path in order to teach his next class.

The paused for a moment, and Aiwendis seemed somehow anxious in Valandil's presence - as anxious as he felt himself, he thought with a smile. "I will take a pass on that coffee for now, Lady Aiwendis." he said, "But may recall it once I have seen what I may of Osgiliath's Bridge."

She smiled - was it a bit forced? - and led him on a circuitous path toward the Library. Valandil knew libraries to be solitary places. Perhaps that accounted for her awkwardness, he thought. On the other hand, in her father's position, she was probably accustomed to guiding young men all about the University.

A gate was just before them, and as she reached out to take the handle, Aiwendis began to speak, "To see drawings, and pictures in books, is one way to experience a thing. But to fully know something, requires experience of a more... personal nature, would you not say, My King?" With that her eyes, which had been downcast to then, were turned full upon him. Those eyes...

Together they pushed the gate open, their arms lightly touching. To Valandil, time seemed to slow, and he felt that they were dancing once more. They were still outside, but the place seemed deserted. As they stood at the open gate she took a half step toward him, looking full into his face, arms down at her sides. He was about to reach out with his own arms, and take the one last step to close the gap between them, when they heard the voices.

Voices ... raised in anger. Both turned their attention to the voices. They seemed to be coming from the base of a nearby tower.

"Was that Rian? The... Elf who was at the reception?" asked Valandil.

"Yes, her... and ... Professor... Galadannun, " continued Aiwendis, "and Sapthan!" Valandil wondered why Aiwendis was sniffling.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 12-30-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:22 PM   #693
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

University, Tuesday 9.50 AM.

After delivering the unsuspecting King right into Aiwendis’ claws, Chancellor returned to the Engineering building, feeling smug. He found his students milling in the corridor, peeking into the class room and giggling excitedly.

"What is the matter?" asked the Chancellor coldly.

One of the students, one-eyed Marthalion, bowed and replied smiling.

"It seems, my Lord, that there is a problem there. The room is occupied!"

The Chancellor entered the room, and was surprised to find Professor Fernik, snoring in an armchair in the far corner. While the Chancellor watched, Jas moaned and whispered some words. The Chancellor froze for a moment, than closed the door firmly behind him.

Jas was having a dream. It was delicious at first. He was holding a most voluptuous redhead lady in his arms… Her eyes were closed, and her ample bosom heaving. Jas bent his head to kiss the rosy lips, when the woman opened her awesome bright green eyes…
The pink lips so near to his own opened and uttered some words, words in an unknown horrible tongue, that sent shivers down Jus’s spine…

Jas moaned, shifted uneasily in his sleep, and whispered:

"Gashn-izg…Gashn-izg…Gashn-izg…"

The Chancellor approached. He knew, he could have but a few minutes alone with Jas. He had no time to ponder, where on Arda could the quiet Fernick pick some words in the High Tongue. One thing was certain, the man had to forget them, or die.

The Morgul Lord placed his hand on Jas’s forehead and with all the force of his mind willed him to forget what he just said.

Jas felt deadly cold envelop his mind, then a red hot pain went through his brain. He cried out weakly and awoke, looking into the Chancellor’s face. He could not tell where he was or why he was there.

"Good morning, Professor Fernick" said the Chancellor levelly. "It seems you have had bad dreams. What a strange language you spoke! One of the dialects of South Rhun, I guess. Have you been there?"
Old 12-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #694
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

A curious thing had happened... the Morgul Lord, desperate in his haste, put all of his immense powers into a simple memory erasing spell. It was so strong that even the students crowded outside the door, some of them shamelessly eavesdropping, got a blast of it, so that for a moment they all forgot what they were doing there. And as for Jas, with his weak defenceless mind, a mind prone to forget things without any outside interfernce, not only forgot the words he had just uttered, but a sizeable portion of his past life as well.

Dimly, he registered the fact that his head was throbbing painfully, and that he himself felt drained... as though a vampire had been sucking him dry. He also realized he was in some kind of a classroom, and a stern-looking man was talking to him in polite but icily cold tones of languages of the South Rhun.

He croaked. No, that wasn't right. He tried again, and this time produced something which sounded more like words.

"Excuse me, what?"

The Chancellor nodded somewhere in his deep mind. Jas was behaving just as he had expected he would. He would probably be a little confused for some time, so all he had to do was play along.

"Ah, I see you were sleeping, and do not remember. Never mind. Meanwhile, I have a class to take here."

"Really? Well, go ahead!"

"I shall require to use this classroom." There was a hint, well actually a definite note, of impatience, in the Chancellor's voice.

"Thats good for you. As for me, I shall just go to sleep. I don't have time to be dreaming you, and you are a nasty sort of a dream, anyways. The last one was better." With that, he dropped his head on his arms, and only a few seconds later, you could hear the gentle snores.

If Ilmenzor weren't the Morgul Lord, his jaw would have dropped. But, it was really quite simple. Jas's mind told him quite clearly that he was a fifteen year old, and lived in a farmhouse by a vine-yard. At this moment in time, he was firmly convinced that he was secretly napping in the wine cellar at his home, instead of doing his chores. So, when he found himself in this strange setting, he naturally assumed it was some dream. He wished the nice red-haired lady would come back, she had been so much nicer than this creepy man. It was no easy task finding a secret place to nap, with his eagle-eyed father around, so if one did get the oppurtunity, it was a waste of time to have pointless, unexciting and rather painful dreams like this one while napping.

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 12-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #695
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The spirits bannished from the wolves by Tyaron floated about in the wilderness just waiting for their victim.

Meanwhile, in Tharbad; Scars, Trick and Treat was having a ball running around the city making mischief. People were beginning to wonder were their spare change were disappearing to.

In the abandoned house in other end of town; Fleet, Speedy and Swift, the energetic weasels were getting ready for a night on the town.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 12-25-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #696
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Tuesday morning, around 10:00 am
walking from the practice fields to the University

Alagos breathed in deeply and looked around the city, a smile on his face and in his bright eyes. He reached down and tousled the hair of the young lad trotting by his side, and the boy looked up with a shy smile.

"Almost there?" he inquired of the lad.

"Just around this corner, sir," the boy responded. As they turned the corner, the young boy was glad to see his arch-nemesis playing in the street. Now, maybe, he wouldn't get picked on any more! After all, he was obviously friends with a fully-armed elven warrior!

Alagos noticed the lad standing a little taller and the boy with the sullen expression staring at them, and, his quick mind making a guess, rested his hand lightly on the lad's shoulder in a "fellow warrior" type of gesture as they came up to the door.

"Mother! Mother! Come meet my new friend!" called the boy excitedly as he ran into the house. As he waited at the door, Alagos turned toward the sullen boy and gave him a stern look with his bright eyes, and the boy quickly ran off.

A few minutes later, after admonishing the young lad that an arrow was NOT a toy, but a weapon to be respected, he left the lad (clutching his elven arrow tightly) and his mother and headed towards the University.

Finding a quiet seat near the University, he reflected on the events of the last 24 hours. After having his wishes about the reunion of Tyaron and his sister leading to their immediate marriage rudely knocked down and readjusted by reality, he realized that they would probably be staying in Tharbad for quite some time, and he had started wondering what would be interesting for him to do while R*an was pursuing classes and Tyaron was pursuing R*an. After spending some hours on the University grounds last night, getting a feel for the place, he still did not feel like sleep, and had wandered around looking for places to practice his archery until the dawn had risen on the face of a friend - Raendil, Valandil's friend from his Imladris days, now grown into a man: open-hearted, generous, quick-witted, and obviously a strong and valiant warrior. His friend, Marthalion, seemed like another such man, and Alagos was looking forward to spending more time with them.

He was very happy to see the archery range they had set up; he had been itching to test and fine-tune his latest batch of arrows. They had shot only a few rounds (Marty was very interested to find out that the archers from Gondolin didn't shoot for the bulls-eye; instead, they shot patterns, such as flowers or letters, because clustering arrows in the bulls-eye as closely as an archer such as Alagos could do was damaging to the fletching) before Alagos suddenly remembered his promise to his sister to let her do his hair.

"I'm so sorry; the pleasure of your company made me momentarily forget that I am supposed to be back with my sister at dawn!" he said regretfully; shooting with friends being much higher up on his list of pleasures than having his hair braided by his sister.

"Your sister?" replied Ray, surprised. "You have a sister in town? I didn't know you had a sister!"

"When I had the pleasure of meeting you in Imladris, I didn't mention her, for I thought that she had perished in the fall of Gondolin many years ago, and it was not something I talked about lightly or often, for we were very close. But only recently - as elves reckon it! - my friend and I found out that she was indeed alive, and we finally traced her to Tharbad after a search of many years. Perhaps you have met her, or have seen her about town? Her name is R*an, and those who know us both say that we have a family resemblance - although not too strong, fortunately for her!"

Ray laughed and said merrily, "I know her indeed; I met her on Sunday night, and I must say that she is definitely much better-looking than you! But there is a family resemblance, and when I saw you on the road, you reminded me of someone, although I was unable to realize who until just now. I am truly glad to hear that the two of you have been reunited! And who is this friend you speak of? Do we have another practice partner to join us here?"

"You will indeed, when he returns, and he can show you a thing or two with a sword, for he was one of the top swordsmen in Gondolin. But I regret to say that I must hasten back now - give me a letter, and then I must run! I'll be back later this morning, though, and hope to meet with you again very soon!"

Ray said, "I'll have a 'V', please," trying fairly sucessfully to keep the blush out of his face as he thought of Viv. He watched Alagos with interest and admiration as Alagos shot a V-tengwa on the target, and Marty watched Ray with interest and a smile, guessing why Ray chose the letter he did.

"Ah, quesse flew slightly left again, the rogue!" said Alagos, eyeing his last shot critically. "That must have been the one I was trimming when Tyaron made me laugh! Oh well, quite good overall for a virgin batch, and quesse will have a little conversation with my knife when I get home!" Elven archers put letters or numbers on their arrows, so they can adjust them if they aren't flying true, and quesse was the troublemaker in this latest batch, although the rest were well-behaved; Alagos never had many arrows misbehave.

He ran to the target to remove his arrows, giving quesse a "I'll deal with you later!" look, and then leapt onto Volricom, whom Ray had graciously offered to speed his trip home. "Just turn him loose when you get home; he'll make it back to me!" Ray said, and Volricom nuzzled him and then galloped off with a snort and a swish of his tail. As he passed through the part of town where he had met the horsewoman yesterday, he smiled as he remembered that her name started with "V".

From knowing no one when they came into town on Sunday, to knowing three men after his own heart (plus Earniel, who might also be after his own heart, but in a different way...), was a great gain indeed, and suddenly the town went from dark and forboding to bright and promising. And riding a stallion such as Volricom - few things in life were more pleasureable than riding a good horse! The feelings of unease from the night before were gone - well, almost gone; he would feel much better as soon as Tyaron returned.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 12-28-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:34 AM   #697
Rían

Tuesday morning, around 10 a.m.
an alcove near the University Library

As R*an finished speaking to Professor Galadannun, she turned around, for she had sensed someone else coming up. She was relieved and very happy to see it was Professor Mahtaliel, for the Professor, although not as immediately friendly as some, had always been courteous, kind and helpful to her. Professor Mahtaliel was standing next to Sapthân, and R*an now felt that she had TWO university employees on her side against Professor Galaddanun. She decided to back down a little and offer Galadannun a graceful way out, instead of the threatened confrontation.

"Oh, Professor Mahtaliel, I'm SO glad you're here," she said happily. "I was just showing Sapthân my book, which my parents made and gave to me as a coming-of-age present in Gondolin, and I would love for you to look at it, too! Professor Galadannun has it now; he mistakenly thought it belonged to the library, being new to his position as librarian, but Sapthân, who has been here for years and knows every book, has set him straight."

Turning back to Professor Galadannun, she said graciously but firmly, "Would you please let Professor Mahtaliel look at my book now, Professor Galadannun? I'm sure she will find it interesting!"

Last edited by Rían : 12-28-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:49 AM   #698
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Mahtaliel took the reluctantly offered book, looking through it quickly. It did indeed have Rian's name inside the cover. She handed it back to Rian.
"Thank you for trusting me to see that, it is very old, you've taken good care of it." She turned back to Galadanunn, frowning, "Don't you have a class to be teaching right now? And by teaching I don't mean harassing the students."

"Shouldn't you be teaching Professor?" He replied icily, "As opposed to interfering in other people's business?"

"No, Galadanunn, I don't. On Tuesdays I have very little better to do than to 'interfere'. It is sad, yes, but as you are an ass I believe the interference was welcome."

Galadanunn was speechless.

"If you'll excuse me Master Buttocks, I have business elsewhere this morning." She turned to leave, "Ah... Rian, if you would care to come with me?"

A glance at Galadanunn's rapidly purpling face was all the convincing that was needed. Rian promptly strode off, following Mahtaliel.

```````````````````````````````

Noon time, by the smithy

Marty and Ray were sitting and eating lunch under the covered walk way that lead from Professor Mahtaliel's living quarters to the forge, idly eating their lunch and chatting. Ray was twiddling his dagger through his fingers and Marty had laced his behind his head taking in the day.

"So, what’s up with you and Val being Inundated with elvish...ness?"

Ray lazily opened his eye and stopped twiddling the dagger for a moment. He shrugged. "Growin’ up noble I guess. Not that you would know wolfy."

THUD!

"You don’t need to be an elvish nancy pants to be noble my dear friend!" Marty had pinned the squirming Ray and proceeded to prod him into admitting elvish nancyness when they were both suddenly aware of two very female voices struggling to with hold laughter. Marty turned around and none other than Mahtaliel and Rian were standing behind them.

"Good day professor! And to you, Lady..." Marty turned as he leapt off of Ray.

"Urk." Was Raendil's eloquent greeting, struggling to rise. Marty wasn’t a featherweight.

Mahtaliel nodded to the two young men. "Good day and Urk to you too. Now, did my ears deceive me? Rian, what say you? Was it the wind or did I hear something about elvish nancypants? Now, if you've only met the male elves of Imladris I can quite understand, however, you must allow me to prove that not all elves are... 'nancy' was it?"

Rian bit back her laughter, eager to see what will befall the two young men. Marty only nodded mutely, hoping his doom would befall him fast. "y..y..yes, I do believe that was the word. And perhaps they aren't. Ray sure doesn’t do them justice. Prove? How...or do I dare ask how?"

"Were you boys still eager to test your work?"

Marty and Ray blinked. Comprehension dawned. They both grinned. "You better believe it! Er, professor...so I take it we will be testing against you?"

"I'm sure such fine boys as yourselves will find it no contest." She answered, smiling.

"Ray, why do I get the feeling I just stuck a whole pair of feet in my mouth? Professor, it would be an honor to trounce or get trounced by you. Shall we set a date?" Ray merely grinned, he had Glorfindel of Gondolin and the Wandering Companies to thank for his training. He kept quiet.

Mahtaliel smiled wider and handed them the swords they had made the night before.

Marty turned a bit pink. "Came prepared, eh? Well, let it be said that elves, though Nancy or not, are never caught without their pants." Marty barely muttered this, but Mahtaliel DID catch it.

Rian by now was a cherry, and said out loud, "but what if they are wearing skirts?"

Ray too, turned into a cherry. "Well, they would ...er..' He broke up laughing. "not be with pants, but still have SOMETHING."

Mahtaliel just laughed, "Had you spotted us going into the forge to fetch said swords, we could have avoided these analogies about pants. Up now and arm yourselves, who's first?"

And so, the two did rise solemnly and check their blades. Marty turned to Ray, "Well brother, please let it be writ upon my grave as a warning for other men not to use the word 'Nancy' with 'elves' in the same sentence. Professor, as the one who has gathered most feet in his mouth, I shall go first!" He sprang forward, blade shining and in ready position.

Mahtaliel too sprang, it was apparent that the boundaries had been drawn, in other words, the entire courtyard was fair game. Sizing each other up, Marty was the shorter by a good hand. This disconcerted him, seeing as he wasn’t used to having people tower above him, he being a solid 7' himself. this gives me the advantage with a short sword, she will have to bend down, her neck will be exposed. Opening blow, more of a tap of the blades, Mahtaliel slid the short sword against Marty’s hilt, trying to disarm him with a quick flick of the wrist. Marty would have none of it, he withdrew and aimed for a swipe at her midsection, but she had seen that coming a mile away and dodged to his left, giving the hilt of Marty’s short sword a stout smack.

Coming from her, that smack sent Marty’s arm automatically down and to the left, leaving his neck wide open. DAMN! I’ve never fought a lefthander before… he backpedaled and Mahtaliel’s swipe went wide. Marty threw himself forward and lunged, scraping his sword against Mathaliel’s, trying to get the point of her sword under his hilt to scoop it away from her.

It nearly worked and her hand loosened a bit and he threw all his weight down onto her arm and threw his shoulder into hers. It didn’t break the grip, but it did send the professor to catch her self from falling over. Marty leaped back then jumped back and brought the small blade down in an ark, metal firmly whacking metal as Mahtaliel rose to defend. A shower of sparks and they both disengaged. Mahtaliel’s superior height working to her advantage in this case, sending Marty twirling off to a side like a spinning top.

She came again and Marty had no time to block, instead he dodged to a side and had Mahtaliel’s short sword ark into the corner stone of the building. It wasn’t the blade that was notched when she removed it.

“Good grief! What is that thing made of? Mithril?!” Marty panted, a good two lengths away from the professor. She merely smiled and lunged. Marty’s sword met the plants in a flowerbed near by. Decapitating some geraniums to mark its fall. “Well…whew, that put me through the wringer. I take back all my nancy comments! Sorry Professor. Did my blade pass?”

“Well, it didn’t break, but lets see.” She stooped to retrieve the fallen sword and inspected its length, a few faint scratches were all the marks it had from this fight. She smiled and nodded. “Passed with all good marks!”

She turned to Ray. “Well young master, I do believe you are up next.” She turned to find a certain other student, Viniglaen standing next to Ray. He merely smiled and assumed position, after bowing.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-29-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 AM   #699
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ray's fight in which he gets pounded.

Ray moved out into the open, out from under the covered walk way. It was a sunny day, lovely in all aspects. I’ll be damned if I loose now! It was a lovely day for sparing, made lovely-er by the appearance of the object of Raendil’s thoughts.

Ah, a ladylove. Well, cute as that may be, I wont let him win. Mahtaliel bowed in return, and upon rising immediately found herself staring into the sun. Bugger. Positioned me right in front of the sun…tricky little fellow. looking down, she quickly caught the glint of Ray’s sword, slicing in a silver arc. The tips of both swords met and neither bent, causing a shower of sparks. Ray slide the length of the blade down the side of Mahtaliel’s sword as she swept it up to bring it down presumably on his head.

Hilts locked, and the slightly curved part of Ray’s sword helped him, firmly trapping the flat of his opponent’s sword, bending her wrist inwards toward herself.

“Ah…Nice design, the hilt within a hilt…Don’t…” She tried to shove him off, but the steel of both blades screeched and Ray refused to be thrown. “Don’t see that design much…Very difficult.” She wrested her blade to the left, lowering the point and gliding backwards, freeing her sword with a spectacular screech. She stepped back, trying to clear her ears.

Raendil was usually a gentleman, but not in this case. He pressed forward, lunging, catching the hilt of her sword with the point of his sword and flicking it to the side, he sliced the leather apron she wore.

“I recognize that move…” She twirled off to a side to avoid the blow aimed for her shoulder. “Glorfindel of Imladris. Where did you…so, he taught you?”

“Well, perhaps.” He changed his sequence of moves to that of the Wandering Companies, thoroughly confusing Mahtaliel who hadn’t seen their style of fighting. Now she was the one on the defensive. You might have picked up a few moves here and there…but so have I. My cousins were good teachers, Maedhros especially.

She flashed out three strikes, having one blocked firmly then the other two dodged. Hmm…decent footwork on his part. I feel like I am dancing a jig! Ray was making her dance, indeed, just keeping out of the range of her long arms, forcing her to strike out then dodging in nimbly to attack, but out of her immediate slicing threat.

However, she caught him. He miscalculated a fraction of a second too soon and caught her elbow to the head. Ray went reeling off to a side, fending off her follow up with an upper hand slice, sending her blade point into the dirt. Oh my…things are very shiny now…Elvish elbow to head=OW! Not only were things shiny for Ray, they were rather tipsy too.

Viv saved the day and up ended a gardener’s bucket on his head from her vantage point in a tree, above the fighting. Feeling a world better, Ray stopped reeling and whirled around, dealing three strikes to Mahtaliel, driving her back and forcing her guard lower.

They broke apart, and circled each other; each looking for an opening in the opponents now battered defense. Ray found his first. He slid, dodging to the left, and dealing an arcing blow. Mahtaliel expected to find her opponent facing her to the right with either a lunge or a swipe to her face. No such luck. What she did find was an elbow to her stomach and a sword to her neck. Raendil had rolled, knocked her leg out from under her then threw his weight, stocky heavy built man that he was right into her unbalanced center.

Down they went, the professor’s sword spinning a hands breadth away from her grasp on the stone pavement. Ray was panting, and still slightly dazed. “Yield.” He kicked the sword away into the now abused flowerbed, still leery of what the fallen giant would do.

Fortunately, for him, she took it gracefully. More or less. “Good job, lad.” She said, getting up after he removed his blade, “I would say your blade passed, I saw it quite closely. There is a pump inside the kitchen if you would like to clean up before going to boast to your lady.”

Ray barked out laughter, and Marty whooped. “He don’t fight Dirty, but he don’t mind getting dirty either!”

“Thanks Professor, though I needn’t brag, she saw for herself.” Mahtaliel rolled her eyes and gave him a cuff. He trotted off to clean off his face, and hopefully go home to change, perhaps getting in a word to Viv, since he still had an hour or so. Rian had fetched the professor’s blade from the now bedraggled flowerbed. It looked like two large canines had had a good tussle in it. “Poor petunias never knew what hit them.” Rian condolences were for the flowers and Mahtaliel collected the blades and stored them back in the forge.

Last edited by The last sane person : 12-29-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #700
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Vivvie and Ray's First Real Kiss

Viv swung herself out of her nook in the tree, landing with a catlike pounce upon the ground, and with a graceful continuity of movement, cantered up to Ray as he was walking.

"Going home so soon?" she said playfully. He hadn't heard her come up so quickly behind him so he gave an almost imperceptible little jump, and then laughed.

"I've got to get ready for my next class, look -" he motioned at his visage and clothing - "I'm a bit of a mess!"

"I can't wait 'til tonight, " Viv said as they walked together. They both felt so comfortable and synchronised with each other that even the smallest of talk seemed superfluous.

They were at the gate, when they both stopped walking for a second. Ray looked in Viv's face, and she steadily gazed back into his eyes. As if on perfect cue, they suddenly kissed one another, a soulful, real kiss that felt timeless. She had her hand at the back of his wonderful smelling neck, with her fingers idly in the locks of hair at the soft nape of his neck, and he had his roughed-up hand upon her jawline, in the gentlest, steadiest whisper of a hold. Everybody standing around saw that kiss. It was like a moment out of a romantic ballad, re-enacted.

Then Lomi flew down to them, swooping overhead of the two lovers and squawking a signal to Viv. That snapped the kiss, and Viv realised there must be news of something pretty damn important for Lomi to be interrupting such a perfect moment.

It snapped Ray out of it, too.

"I've got to go," he said to Viv.

"I know," she responded, "so do I."

"Tonight?"

"Tonight."

He turned from her, and trotted out toward his house. Viniglaen, feeling almost as if she's had some sort of magic potion drugging her and making her head feel deliciously swimmy, looked up and scanned the sky for where Lomi had flown. Spotting the owl up in a tree watching her, she whistled a short signal to Lomi to fly ahead, so she could follow, and glean the news that Lomi doubtless had for her.

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-29-2005 at 07:43 PM.