Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #681
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The government gives tax breaks to married people only when one of the people is a dependent (doesn't work or doesn't make enough money) on the other. Further tax breaks are given for people who take care of children. The goal of these policies is to encourage people to take care of each other.

So maybe group marriage should be allowed? Except, I think there are other factors that might not make it fly. Like no one is lobbying for those that want group marriages.

This is really off-topic though. So... um... yay for gay, I say!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #682
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the best solution might be to base benefits on a given situation as opposed to marriages or relations... we get that problem in the US... you can get benefits for caring for a blind relative in your home, but not the same if just caring for a blind "friend"

as far as marriage goes... remove it from the legal system all together
Old 11-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #683
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

coming outa the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
I am a gay man. Out of the closet.
I had not seen this thread before.

I have read some, but not all of the posts. No, being gay is not a choice. I don't know if it is inborn, or if it is set by age two or whatever, but in my case the gender to which I was attracted was clearly defined at puberty. Girls just never interested me. Being gay was such a shameful thing in italy at that time, that when I reached puberty I did not realize immediately that being attracted to men = being gay. It took me a few years
oh now...i am a bisexual. i have just read the first page but this is a issue that still needs to be solved. being gay,lesbian, or bisexual is not a choice. it just happens and the person cant change how they feel. some people (who are not to be named) do not tolerate gays, lesbians and bisexuals and its so stupid. its unbelieveable how people think!!!! i was happy when they legallized gay marriages! my uncle is gay, my aunt and my cousin are lesbian and i support them all the way. each year i go to the gay pride parade and show my support for me and others. people with stereotypes like oh thats so gay and you are gay...i am quick to tell them what i think about their racism and stereotypes. i am proud to be bisexual and i hope that in the near future people will understand and actually accept gays, lesbians and bisexuals cheers,
Tamuril Sirfalas

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #684
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

gay marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
the best solution might be to base benefits on a given situation as opposed to marriages or relations... we get that problem in the US... you can get benefits for caring for a blind relative in your home, but not the same if just caring for a blind "friend"

so you want to move "gay marriages" from the legal system? i am happy that it is legalize so dont you dare insult people or even suggest to people it should be taken from the legal system . accept gays, lesbians and bisexuals..god you people!!!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 11-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #685
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
The government gives tax breaks to married people only when one of the people is a dependent (doesn't work or doesn't make enough money) on the other. Further tax breaks are given for people who take care of children. The goal of these policies is to encourage people to take care of each other.

So maybe group marriage should be allowed? Except, I think there are other factors that might not make it fly. Like no one is lobbying for those that want group marriages.

This is really off-topic though. So... um... yay for gay, I say!
i say yay for lesbians bisexuals and gays!!!and group marriages? what are you talkin' about??? and thanks for retittling the thread!!!

Old 11-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #686
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
so you want to move "gay marriages" from the legal system? i am happy that it is legalize so dont you dare insult people or even suggest to people it should be taken from the legal system . accept gays, lesbians and bisexuals..god you people!!!
not at all... read my posts in this thread... i'm on your side

however, in a perfect world i'd love to see marriage... heterosexual, homosexual, group, with your cat, etc. as a purely social function... take it out of the legal system entirely... there is really no good reason to keep it as a "legal" thing
Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #687
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
however, in a perfect world i'd love to see marriage... heterosexual, homosexual, group, with your cat, etc. as a purely social function... take it out of the legal system entirely... there is really no good reason to keep it as a "legal" thing

I gotta stay away from this topic.....sigh
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #688
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
not at all... read my posts in this thread... i'm on your side

well then if its not legal then people will shun it from our society and we wont be allowed to do gay marriages

so you argree that it is good to have these marriages? i mean im a bisexual so i wont really have a problem when it comes to marriage but gays...and lesbians ?? i dunno

Last edited by Tamuril Sirfalas : 11-14-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #689
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
well then if its not legal then people will shun it from our society and we wont be allowed to do gay marriages
not quite... bring the practice back to what it once was... in the course of human history, making marriage a "legal" union is a relatively recent development... in fact, marriage in the religious sense is rather recent... it was purely a social statement in the past
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #690
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
not quite... bring the practice back to what it once was... in the course of human history, making marriage a "legal" union is a relatively recent development... in fact, marriage in the religious sense is rather recent... it was purely a social statement in the past
so if we take gay marriages outa the legal system then nothing will change and everything will be the same? well what is your true opinion of bisexuals gays and lesbians?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #691
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
i say yay for lesbians bisexuals and gays!!!and group marriages? what are you talkin' about??? and thanks for retittling the thread!!!
I didn't retitle this thread, the original thread started from back in the day, TinuvielChild, called it "Gays, lesbians, bisexuals". It just so happens you would have called a new thread the exact same thing! Cool eh?

I'm glad that you're out of the closet and proud of who you are. I think it's sad when people can't or won't accept who they are (this has broader applications than sexuality).

Quote:

That is an interesting solution Brownie. People who care for blind friends (or "friends") should get some kind of tax break. After all, they have a dependent too.
Sadly, this might be hard to put into practice. But I really like the idea behind it. Maybe there is a way to make this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock

I gotta stay away from this topic.....sigh
Don't we all.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #692
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
so if we take gay marriages outa the legal system then nothing will change and everything will be the same?
take ALL (<-- note, i said ALL, i.e. hetero AND homo ) marriages out of the legal system

Quote:
well what is your true opinion of bisexuals gays and lesbians?
i judge people as individuals, not because of sexual preference
Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 AM   #693
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Did you ever take into consideration that the majority of people prefer to leave those definitions and ceremonies IN the legal system. Thankfully society still recognizes the difference.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #694
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Did you ever take into consideration that the majority of people prefer to leave those definitions and ceremonies IN the legal system. Thankfully society still recognizes the difference.
obviously... i'm just asking for a good reason why... people rarely think about the reasons behind why they do what they do... and often, when they do, they realize that there really is no good reason... the trick is breaking the "tradition" barrier
Old 11-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #695
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
obviously... i'm just asking for a good reason why...
Obviously you don't read what you write.

[QUOTE=brownjenkins]take ALL (<-- note, i said ALL, i.e. hetero AND homo ) marriages out of the legal system

Quote:
i judge people as individuals, not because of sexual preference
I think most thinking people do. But that statement is a far cry from what you advocated.
IMO, tradition is part of the definition of who we are as a people and a society.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #696
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
error! error! error! (Watch out for the robot and the electric bolts! Danger! Danger! Danger!) Marriage is a longstanding institution across virtually all known cultures. It had legal status and responsibilties recognized in all those cultures as conferring benefits and care to offspring (a notoriously impossible prospect for gays and lesbians and transgendered individuals since you need egg and sperm for reproduction), solidifying political alliances at the level of families, tribes, confederacies of tribes, and nation-states.

You may not regard that as legal, BJ, but those societies did. Check out the record of marriage in the Egyptian sources and Semitic sources dating back at least to ~1250 BCE.

I know facts bother you, but DO try to get them correct!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #697
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
obviously... i'm just asking for a good reason why... people rarely think about the reasons behind why they do what they do... and often, when they do, they realize that there really is no good reason... the trick is breaking the "tradition" barrier
Precisely my point above, BJ. The attempt to "legitimate" homosexual marriage is a DELIBERATE attempt to break tradition in all known societies historically (anaomalous individual situations acknowledged as anomalies, of course).

The reason it has to be "broken" is because it is normative throughout history to recognize marriage as betwixt male and female, not between two persons of the same gender (from birth or surgically).
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 11-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #698
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
You may not regard that as legal, BJ, but those societies did. Check out the record of marriage in the Egyptian sources and Semitic sources dating back at least to ~1250 BCE.

I know facts bother you, but DO try to get them correct!
marriage existed as a legal institution for the cultural elite for a long time... but for the common man this is not the case at all... for much of human history it was neither legal or religious
Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #699
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Precisely my point above, BJ. The attempt to "legitimate" homosexual marriage is a DELIBERATE attempt to break tradition in all known societies historically (anaomalous individual situations acknowledged as anomalies, of course).

The reason it has to be "broken" is because it is normative throughout history to recognize marriage as betwixt male and female, not between two persons of the same gender (from birth or surgically).
which is a good thing

tradition purely for its own sake is pointless
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #700
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

And anarchy for its own self is pointless.
Closed Thread