Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2003, 04:38 PM   #681
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Anybody know when the DVD of TT will be out?
I guess the normal edition in August and the extended version in November like FotR. I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:11 PM   #682
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

Well, I heard the DVD for TTT will be out in June in Britain. Hopefully, that goes for North America too. I'm unsure whether or not it's the extended one. I doubt it. The extended one will probably be released in November, would make sense since FOTR was.

I can't wait for the extended DVD because there's more stuff cut from TTT than FOTR!
gandalfstormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #683
Jill Tsuei
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

I keep seeing people trying to team up Aragorn and Eowyn and thinking Eowyn a better match than Arwen, but why? Isn't it in the book that Eowyn loves Aragorn for the wrong reason? She sees Aragorn the king--the glory and valor, exactly what she's missing and longs for in her life--but not Aragorn the person, whereas Arwen has been there all along, not just in times when Aragorn is heroically leading an army into war but in times when Aragorn was still struggling with self-doubt and roaming; her love for Aragorn remains true and strong!
Jill Tsuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:22 AM   #684
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't think Aragorn ever actually was into self-doubt was he? Wasn't that just one of the numberless fabrications of Jackson?

Other than that, I agree with you whole-heartedly. And Welcome to the Entmoot. If you want, you can head over to the Welcome thread in General Messages and introduce yourself to the Moot officially there.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:24 AM   #685
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I don't think Aragorn ever actually was into self-doubt was he? Wasn't that just one of the numberless fabrications of Jackson?
Yes it was completely a Jacksonification and had absolutely no resemblence to what was in the books.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-04-2003 at 01:25 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:32 AM   #686
Gwaimir Windgem

The halfwit strikes again.

-is feeling exceptionally halfwittish tonight-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2003, 07:28 AM   #687
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Yes it was completely a Jacksonification and had absolutely no resemblence to what was in the books.
Arghhhh! I'm starting to get mad about these Jacksonifications again! All brought about by the LotR-obsession thread. (We were directed to go back here to continue our bagging of TTT)

The things that probably irritate me the most are that:
-People see the movie, so they think that is all, there's nothing more to LotR since the movie encompassed it all (WRONG WRONG WRONG!)
-Said people may think the movie is good but the books are boring (Hello? When is the original ever worse?)
- Non-readers think that is how Faramir (one of my fave characters) really is.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:57 PM   #688
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I didn't see Aragorn liking Eowyn in the movie. I mean not more than a friend.
And don't blame PJ for all the mistakes etc. I think the production studio had something to say, too. And they wanted a blockbuster and not an exact adaption. I mean PJ is a Tolkien fan, why would he want to destroy the movie?
Old 04-04-2003, 03:03 PM   #689
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

So I guess Eowyn, Aragorn, and Arwen having an "open" relationship is out of the question, eh?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:01 PM   #690
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think Aragorn had doubts and frustrations in the book, just not self doubts, as in "I dont want to be king, etc."
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #691
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Arghhhh! I'm starting to get mad about these Jacksonifications again! All brought about by the LotR-obsession thread. (We were directed to go back here to continue our bagging of TTT)
Yeah - but that doesn't mean we can't come here and complain about the movie. This is the movie thread and not all of us liked it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-04-2003, 04:29 PM   #692
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't know if you saw it, but she's referring to a thread in the books forum where I told everyone they had to come to this thread if they wanted to either complain about the movie or defend it, rather than use the thread in the books forum, which must be kept pristine and movie-free.

edit: changed to singular (TTT), since complaints about TFotR must be in the Opinion Thread. For complaints in general, there's one of those that Black Breathalizer started, if they haven't all been closed!

Oh, okay, general complaints/ arguing can be done in this one, but just be reasonable!
Old 04-04-2003, 04:45 PM   #693
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I don't know if you saw it, but she's referring to a thread in the books forum where I told everyone they had to come to this thread if they wanted to either complain about the movie or defend it, rather than use the thread in the books forum, which must be kept pristine and movie-free.
I think I did last night. And yes - the Tolkien book forum should be kept clean of Jacksonification and movie discussion.
Quote:

Oh, okay, general complaints/ arguing can be done in this one, but just be reasonable!
I thought I was being reasonable. Also - I started this thread - shouldn't I be able to complain in my OWN thread. Not to mention that I titled it - What people think of Two Towers

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-04-2003 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #694
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, the reasonable part was addressed to the forum at large, not you. I was just kidding, in that technically "what people thought of TTT" is different than "book vs. movie," which is what was happening in the other thread, BUT this will have to do because the thread or two that were started as a "book vs. movie" discussion ended up getting closed due to lack of reasonableness.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #695
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I mean PJ is a Tolkien fan, why would he want to destroy the movie?
A word of advice, Lalaith; don't believe everything someone says. Especially if they are a celebrity or other well-known individual. I even have doubts about Chris Lee.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2003, 07:33 PM   #696
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Well, I have heard Christopher Lee say he approves of some of the changes Jackson made. Though I don't doubt that he or Jackson is a fan. I think Jackson wanted to put his own thoughts into the movie to show he is a creative and capable director, rather than not have any part and just follow the books.

Though I wish he had.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #697
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I was thinking about Christopher Lee when I was watching the DVD. They emphasise how many years he's read the book, and how much he knows about it; surely he could tell them the changes aren't good!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:28 PM   #698
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
A word of advice, Lalaith; don't believe everything someone says. Especially if they are a celebrity or other well-known individual. I even have doubts about Chris Lee.
Very true - especially since on the DVD Jackson states that he just wanted to make a fantasy movie and thought "Hey - why not just make Lord of the Rings"

I have serious questions as to how much of a fan Jackson is. Personally I think he knew it was almost a sure hit - even if he only did it half right - so that's why he picked it. I don't really think him making the movie had anything to do with being a fan. He knew to get the real fans excited about the movie though - he had to come off as a true fan.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-04-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #699
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
I was thinking about Christopher Lee when I was watching the DVD. They emphasise how many years he's read the book, and how much he knows about it; surely he could tell them the changes aren't good!
Yeah; and didn't the man mispronounce Khazad-dum? It sounded to me like he ran the "kh" into a single "Bach" style sound, while I believe according to the book, in Khuzdul "kh" is pronounced as two separate sounds "k-h".

Ditto, JD. I don't think PJ is concerned so much with the Lord of the Rings as he claims; I mean, if he were such a dedicated fan, why is he more concerned with making a movie to appeal to the masses than preserving the original story and characters of Tolkien; and why does he change the characters around, when Tolkien explicitly said he would detest that more than ruination of the plot; and why does he make the Orcs look nothing like Tolkien said they did?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-05-2003, 01:47 AM   #700
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Personally I think he knew it was almost a sure hit - even if he only did it half right - so that's why he picked it.
I dunno JD. Prior to PJ's adaption, Stanley Kubrick said it would be impossible to film, and this was pretty much the prevailing feeling at that time. I may not like the movies, but I can appreciate that this wasn't an easy movie to make, or that it would necessarily have been an easy hit. Remember: people have tried and failed, prior to Jackson. That he's had this degree of success is some credit to him, even if they're not particularly to our taste.