Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #681
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Self-discovery sucks. 'Nuf said.

It's okay though, because I'm trying to reboot to the day before yesterday and forget it ever happened. 'Nuf said.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #682
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

(Someone who is smart, tough and categorically awesome doesn't break her collar bones that easily )
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #683
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think I might just be able to stand a pat on the shoulder, as long as it's not near open manholes, on the top of stairs or when leaning over the alligator tank in the zoo.

So thanks, both.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #684
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My goodness!!! *Moothugs for Eärniel and her family*

I'm glad your Dad wasn't injured! That creep could have had a knife or something!

and sorry, Midge ... *Moothug* But WE like your self, no matter what your self-discovery discovered

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-25-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #685
Mari
Elf Lady

Wow. Just wow. That's a lot.
I hope things get better. At some point they will have to, right? :?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #686
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I found out my mother is telling my dad and my sister that she's angry with me. I had no idea she was angry!

She's angry because I'm "never home." Which is not true. I don't see her often because she leaves before I'm awake, and I get home after she's in bed because I stay at school to practice, but she should realize I'm at home every night because my car is there when she leaves the next morning. I don't know if she thinks I'm being irresponsible somehow, or if she thinks I'm out whoring or something, but even my sister and dad are confused about what's going on... meaning it probably has to do with something else entirely.

This is the kind of behavior she showed before she ended up screaming at my oldest sister in front of the church one Sunday morning.

Here's my question... should I ask her about the fact that I have heard she's angry with me, or should I wait and see if it just blows over/blows up? Unfortunately I'm not sure asking will be any better than waiting.

The point is... I'm not sure whether to talk to her or not. I don't want her pestering and bothering my dad and sister, who are both very stressed out with other things, but if there's a chance it might just blow over I don't want to cause a blowup by talking to her.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #687
Jonathan

How awkward. Well, nobody but yourself can answer your question but if you put it like that, it seems to me that talking to her might be a good idea. Isn't a person more likely to blow over if they aren't confronted/if they keep it all bottled up inside?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #688
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I would think it would be better to talk to her; best case scenario, the situation is defused. Worst case scenario, at least you can control the time and place for the blowing up. Get up early one of these days to talk to her before she leaves.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #689
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I found out my mother is telling my dad and my sister that she's angry with me. I had no idea she was angry!

She's angry because I'm "never home." Which is not true. I don't see her often because she leaves before I'm awake, and I get home after she's in bed because I stay at school to practice, but she should realize I'm at home every night because my car is there when she leaves the next morning. I don't know if she thinks I'm being irresponsible somehow, or if she thinks I'm out whoring or something, but even my sister and dad are confused about what's going on... meaning it probably has to do with something else entirely.

This is the kind of behavior she showed before she ended up screaming at my oldest sister in front of the church one Sunday morning.

Here's my question... should I ask her about the fact that I have heard she's angry with me, or should I wait and see if it just blows over/blows up? Unfortunately I'm not sure asking will be any better than waiting.

The point is... I'm not sure whether to talk to her or not. I don't want her pestering and bothering my dad and sister, who are both very stressed out with other things, but if there's a chance it might just blow over I don't want to cause a blowup by talking to her.
She probably just wants to see you more often.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #690
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I would think it would be better to talk to her; best case scenario, the situation is defused. Worst case scenario, at least you can control the time and place for the blowing up. Get up early one of these days to talk to her before she leaves.
Gwai I would have to get up at 5 a.m. She is always gone before I am, even when I leave for work at 6:30 a.m. (meaning I'm up and in the shower by 6:10 at the latest). I am not getting up at five in the morning to ask someone why they are unreasonably angry with me.

Valandil, I'm starting to doubt that it has to do with wanting to see me for two reasons. She does not make any effort to spend time doing things with me... my only (occasional) free days are Saturdays, and she is always gone doing things related to her hobbies (hiking, Chesterton book meeting, etc.). Secondly is that whenever I'm gone doing something (like the last two summers when I've been gone for two weeks) if I send an e-mail home to let them know what's going on, my dad will write back but all I get from my mom is a, "Great, have a good time.-Mom"

She called me once when I was up in DC, and it was to ask me to clean up the backyard of dog poop when I got home the next week. So it's not like she ever violently misses me.

Plus she rarely sees my dad because he's in the middle of his tax season, and she rarely sees my sister because she works full time and is getting her Masters. It's not like my mom is home a whole lot either... she's the head of the English department at a private Catholic highschool. But for some reason she's telling my dad and sister that she's angry at me for me never being home.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect it has to do with something else. Just don't know what.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #691
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Then stay up very late.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #692
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
She's angry because I'm "never home." Which is not true. I don't see her often because she leaves before I'm awake, and I get home after she's in bed because I stay at school to practice, but she should realize I'm at home every night because my car is there when she leaves the next morning.
Does she think you ought to come home in the evenings instead of staying at school to practice? I'd guess you have good reasons for staying.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #693
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Does she think you ought to come home in the evenings instead of staying at school to practice? I'd guess you have good reasons for staying.
I honestly don't know what she thinks. I have decided, for the moment, to just wait it out and see if it blows over.

I personally think I have excellent reasons. But then, as I continue to learn, my family and I often do not see eye to eye... when I was 15 they thought I couldn't sing and didn't want me to study music because they thought it would be a waste of my time, then when I was 18 they thought that I was a terrible singer and could only teach so performing was a waste of my time and I should focus on my educational skills, then suddenly when I wanted to switch to business they decided that the only thing I was good at was performing and I wasn't smart enough to do business.

Now apparently music is a waste of my time again! But they also don't think I should be doing business because what if I lose sight of my dream to perform?! But should I be wasting my time singing when I need to focus on my business classes?

I think I'm going to stop listening to my family. At least for this week because MY LORD WHY ARE THEY ALL ATTACKING ME THIS WEEK?!!? >.< Especially when I'm not asking for their opinion!! They can go sit on a cactus for all I care.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions, guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #694
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
I have the Curse of Thumbs! Last week I cut my left thumb open in 4 places due to my wiping off the razor I was shaving with. It bled for a day! The week after, I was moving a couch and it was squished between a metal rail and the metal part of the couch, lifting up my thumb nail completely. I have to type like a chicken... facepalm

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #695
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ouch!!!!

Hope you heal up soon!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #696
Thorir Orcbane
Hobbit

Location: Where the shadows of the ancient world still dwell.
Thank you, Rian

"Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!" - Elendil/Aragorn

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo

"No, no, no! Who gave the short kid Desert Eagles?"
Thorir Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #697
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

we have parliamentary elections next month, and i'm not a big fan of this one. or the prelude to it.

one of the main questions is that of languages, mainly which languages should be obligatory in school, but it's also about the rights of the people speaking minority languages in the country. finland has 2 official languages that have the same status in the law: finnish and swedish. a small minority (6%) speak swedish, mainly on the coast. presently, studying your own and the other official language is obligatory; also, everyone has the right to get service (from official institutions: not private) in any of the official languages. thus, a finnish-speaking person in a swedish-speaking area has the right to get health care in finnish; and vice versa.

a large number of candidates are promising to try to get rid of the obligatory swedish taught in schools. i don't know if they've thought through what this might mean in terms of the right to get service, in terms of swedish as an official language and in terms of minority cultures in the country. most of the arguments i've seen have been that people don't need swedish, that they need russian more or, in some cases, that the swedish-speakers are aristocratic upper-class people who shouldn't have any rights. i bet they've never been anywhere else than in helsinki and seen all the farmers on the west coast.

what i don't understand is how learning something can be bad. if there are several cultures in finland, and there are several miniority languages (no, i wouldn't mind learning some sami as well), how is it not a good thing to learn about them and their languages? i absolutely agree that it would be great especially for people in eastern finland to learn russian. but learning swedish doesn't mean one can't learn russian: it's not like one language erases another. maybe i'm the only one left in this country who thinks learning is good.

and maybe my mind is clouded by the fact that i'm half-swedish-speaking finn (bilingual, that is), who grew up in a completely swedish-speaking area. maybe i feel that my identity as whatever it is, is threatened: my language is of course a part of my identity, and also all of the culture that is associated with it. i've been lucky to grow up with both swedish and finnish and notice that all in all, we're basically all the same. there are some cultural differences due partially to the swedish-speakers' quite strong ties with sweden (but no, we're absolutely not swedes: it's just that they have tv in the language we want to watch it in ). and i think diversity is good and monocultures are boring and impoverish people's lives. i try to not let my swedish-speaking part be involved when i listen to the arguments the people who want to abandon swedish have; and maybe it's impossible to completely separate them. growing up as a non-straight, leftist swedish-speaker with gender identity issues, i might have an affinity for minorities and their rights. but over all, the arguments just don't seem thought-through and just based on monolingual patriotism, fear, close-mindedness and anti-education. the people who want to get rid of swedish as an obligatory language (it's studied for a couple of years in school) range from just that to people who think the whole culture should be eradicated and the official status of the swedish language taken away.

sorry, i just needed to rant so i can continue working on my thesis.

/the aristocrat

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 03-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #698
Jonathan

Nice rant. If Entmoot had a like button Ã* la Facebook, I'd push it

Good luck with the elections.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #699
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

hehe, thanks jon.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #700
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Accounting is soooooo haaaaaaaard. Waaaaaaaah!!!!

>.<