Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #681
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Ok, I've really tried to pick a candidate as my favourite. I've read all there is to read in the papers about Bush and Kerry but I still can't decide which of them I want to win. Heck, I've even checked out Nader.
But what the heck, I'm not allowed to vote anyway. May the best man win tomorrow! If things turn out the way they did in the last elections - forgive me, but I'll crack up totally.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #682
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Nope. The guardian got the names of registered voters in Clark County Ohio - they went through and restricted the list to the 38,000 or so voters who were listed as independants. They then had their readers mail them letters telling them how they should vote and why. It pissed off people here - including Kerry supporters. people e-mailed the Guardian back. One of the best one's was this one who wrote something like this..."Thank you for informing me of how to vote, you see I live in an ignorant country with people who just eat fast food and which has no culture, so it was so nice to hear from someone who can tell this ignorant american how to vote - I would never have been able to do it on my own." That wasn't verbatim - but that was the general tone and statement of their letter to the guardian.
Did you see the link I posted a few pages back (it got buried under a mountain of posts ) which quoted a lot of the replies the Guardian got, with some creative insults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Oh wait you were kidding.
Was I? But I meant more in his pro-Bush fervour, yes.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 11-01-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM   #683
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Ok, I've really tried to pick a candidate. I've read all there is to read in the papers about Bush and Kerry but I still can't decide which of them I want to win. Heck, I've even checked out Nader.
You've supported Bush the entire time and you agree with the iraq war - which Kerry says is the "wrong war, at the wrong time, at the wrong place" Also - Kerry is VERY liberal in his votes. He's just been putting on the moderate look to get the middle ground. I KNOW you are not liberal.
Quote:
But what the heck, I'm not allowed to vote anyway. May the best man win tomorrow! If things turn out the way they did in the last elections - forgive me, but I'll crack up totally.
I talked to Valadil earlier - I was thinking of writing to both candidates and asking them if they REALLY want to destroy this country by dragging us through lawsuits over this election. If that happens - it can destroy this country better than anything bin Ladin can do to us. I hope that both sides will have the brains to see how this will hurt us as a nation and divide us further. Also - what happens here - will have worldwide consequences - as has been pointed out. So I don't think you would be laughing very long.

GO BUSH!!!

Sun-Star - I'm going to have to look up that journalist and see what he writes. It's always nice to read something nice written by a foreign journalist - instead of the constant "America=the third reich" crap. Also - I did read that post about the replies to the guardian. Nightline had it on last week also. It seems like the Guardian was very taken aback by the response they got and were not expecting such hate mail from both sides of the campaign. Serves them right for trying to get involved with our elections.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #684
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Actually that's a state issue. Go to your state and demand to have off. It has nothing to do with the federal government. I really don't see why it has to be a federal holiday since the polls are open till 8:00pm or so anyway. Of course again - polling times are STATE determined - and even different by district.
During a presidential election it should ABSOLUTELY be a FEDERAL holiday. I think its absurd its not. And I think its silly to be peace mealing it state to state with no consistancy whatsoever. The problem is when you work from 8 till 6 (or 7 or 8!) you REALLY have to kill yourself to get a vote in. Because you cant in the morning (theres no way you can run and vote at 7 with lines an still get to work on time) and its really pushing it in the evening when you have the longest lines. I mean basically the government is saying hey its not a priority to us to make it convenient for you to vote. Shoot, the polls should stay open for days if need be if you ask me. I dont understand why you wouldnt go out of your way to allow people to vote as easily as possible. Otherwise your being disingenuous when your publicly announce how important it is to vote. oh but by the way you still better work all day and figure out how to run to the polls on your own and fight the crowds early in the morning or late at night (in the rain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Did the Redskins win? Is it true that the result was controversial?! Oh the omens...
No they lost. Yes it was most definitely controversial. They were getting beat pretty good the whole game. With 6 minutes left they were down 20-7 and suddenly, JUST when we were about to leave the stadium, they managed to score to make it 20-14. They then got a quick interception and then Brunell hit Clinton Portis (Clinton?! ) for another score on like a 40 yard passing play. That would have put them up 21-20 BUT… the refs called it back because of an “illegal motion” call which is about the sketchiest play you can call in football as it has little impact on the resulting play. Needless to say the fans were in an uproar but whats done was done. And kerry won the game. I mean green bay…

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 11-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #685
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Were you kidding? Now I'm confused Sun-star... I looked for your link from page 32 to this one. Darn post burying... my last one is stuck at the end of page 34. I wanted to know what people thought.

Care to post your link again?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 11-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #686
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Also - what happens here - will have worldwide consequences - as has been pointed out.
Reminds me of a joke I heard this weekend about plans for there to be Iraqi election moniters at poll places all over the country on Tuesday. *waits for the grumpy all too serious to get indignant*

Old 11-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #687
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
You've supported Bush the entire time and you agree with the iraq war - which Kerry says is the "wrong war, at the wrong time, at the wrong place" Also - Kerry is VERY liberal in his votes. He's just been putting on the moderate look to get the middle ground. I KNOW you are not liberal.
I'm liberal by European standards but the political scales are so different across the Atlantic. I do share many views with Kerry in many areas, but in other areas I've got more in common with Bush. About the war - yeah I supported it. I might not have supported it today but back then, I did. It's easy to be wise after the event. Bush might take similar actions as he did in Iraq if he gets reelected. Kerry might not. No one wants another Iraq but no one wants a rogue state to get WMDs either.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #688
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Reminds me of a joke I heard this weekend about plans for there to be Iraqi election moniters at poll places all over the country on Tuesday. *waits for the grumpy all too serious to get indignant*
I don't get it... what's the joke? In light if the last election, Iraq needs to monitor Florida's ballot counting?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #689
jerseydevil

Quote:
Shoot, the polls should stay open for days if need be if you ask me. I dont understand why you wouldnt go out of your way to allow people to vote as easily as possible.
And 23 states I believe have early voting - I think Florida has been going on for 2 weeks now. Also - most states allow absentee voting. if you can't get to the polls becuase of your job - request an absentee ballot. I see no reason for it to be a holiday really - there are other ways to vote.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #690
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i don't know who'll win, but i plan to vote kerry

since we have an electoral system... and i live i kerry's home state... my vote doesn't really count anyway
Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #691
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
And 23 states I believe have early voting - I think Florida has been going on for 2 weeks now. Also - most states allow absentee voting. if you can't get to the polls becuase of your job - request an absentee ballot. I see no reason for it to be a holiday really - there are other ways to vote.
i also think the polls should be extended... there is absolutely no downside to it... and it gives people who work multiple jobs the chance to vote without having to spend the time that they probably don't have obtaining absentee ballots
Old 11-01-2004, 04:39 PM   #692
jerseydevil

Quote:
Well Iran's mullah's actually went and requested that they monitor US elections to make sure they are valid and democratic. This from the same people outlawed whole candidates (the reformers from running).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:42 PM   #693
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I'm liberal by European standards but the political scales are so different across the Atlantic. I do share many views with Kerry in many areas, but in other areas I've got more in common with Bush.
I support kerry in a few areas and disagree with Bush on many things too. But the key issue is terrorism - and you also have to way what they president has control over and what he doesn't. Abortion and so forth - the president has no control over. Every year democrats have whined that if a republican is elected that abortion will be outlawed - hasn't happened.
Quote:
About the war - yeah I supported it. I might not have supported it today but back then, I did. It's easy to be wise after the event. Bush might take similar actions as he did in Iraq if he gets reelected. Kerry might not. No one wants another Iraq but no one wants a rogue state to get WMDs either.
I still support the war in Iraq - because their was more to the war than just WMD - as you know very well.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #694
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i also think the polls should be extended... there is absolutely no downside to it... and it gives people who work multiple jobs the chance to vote without having to spend the time that they probably don't have obtaining absentee ballots
You mean calling up and requesting an absentee ballot is that much of a hardship on people?

I don't actually agree with multiple day voting - even though all the candidates seem to support it. Anything can happen that might change your vote - and you can NOT go back and change it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #695
jerseydevil

Quote:

since we have an electoral system... and i live i kerry's home state... my vote doesn't really count anyway
Your vote counts - if you didn't vote and a bunch of other people felt the same way - Bush might win Massachusetts. You said before that the Republican vote didn't matter in New Jersey - because it's a "democratic" state - now you say your vote doesn't matter becuause it's a democratic state. So which is it? All votes matter in the electoral college process - they just matter at the state level - not the national level.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #696
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I don't get it... what's the joke? In light if the last election, Iraq needs to monitor Florida's ballot counting?
um yeah... You know its that irony thing...

Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #697
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Getting an absentee ballot is a total pain if you live in a small town (with questionable mail service), at least, that's the case in Canada.

This thread moves to fast, as Sun-star noticed. Did you read my post at the bottom of p.34 JD? I was curious who you (and anyone else that it matters to) wanted to see become Prime Minister in our July election this year?

Your vote always counts!

EDIT: Cross-post with IRex. Okay, it's not more complicated than I thought...
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-01-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:59 PM   #698
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

may as well vote for Nader then. *runs out of thread ducking tomatoes*

Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #699
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
I really think Kerry has potential to be a good President. Just out of curiosity JD (or anyone who cares to comment) who did you want to see win our election?
I don't know. But you want to make sure that the winner leaves Sweden in the desirable position of remaining endorsed by bin Laden.
I really sympathise.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM   #700
jerseydevil

Quote:
Getting an absentee ballot is a total pain if you live in a small town (with questionable mail service), at least, that's the case in Canada.
Well of course - that's the canadian postal service. It sucks there I always get into with my friend Trish about the slowness of the Canadian postal service.

Our's is only affected when it's hit with anthrax - as I personally experienced - since [edit]my[/edit] processing center has been the one closed down for 3 year because of it.

BTW - some states have polling stations set up in grocery stores also.
Quote:
This thread moves to fast, as Sun-star noticed. Did you read my post at the bottom of p.34 JD? I was curious who you (and anyone else that it matters to) wanted to see become Prime Minister in our July election this year?
I've been too busy with our election right now to think about canada's yet. I can tell you one thing though - I do NOT want someone like Chretien.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-01-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Closed Thread