Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #681
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
How many angels CAN dance on the head of a Balrog?
The correct answer is SEVEN.
GAH!! YOU can NOT be serious!! It's 6, SIX!!!!!! And they are named, for Pete's sake!!! Up, down, top, bottom, charmed and strange!!! And possibly 18 depending upon how you look at it!
Quote:
... tired old beaten dead horse....
Ah, but tired old beaten dead horse is good eatin'. *stokes fire for the bar-b-q*
Quote:
New and inventive permutations on the ad hominem. I KNEW there was a purpose to this.
Who's attacking who now?
Quote:
... just re-examinations of one's own navel and self-praise for the superiority of "innies" versus "outies".
Innies!!! Innies are far, far superior!!! They would never rub against your jeans when you bend over! How can you even THINK that an outie would be even equal to an innie! GAH! What are you thinking?
Quote:
And does ANY of this advance understanding of either Tolkien's books or Jackson's films? I challenge all and sundry to provide evidence that it has.
Tis not the end product, but the making of said product that fulfills.
I think you need to get your panties untwisted, or something. It's making you very testy. You should relax more. Have a beer. *pulls beer from cooler, hands to bropous*
Quote:
Solution? Shake hands, go off into the ether, and realize that no one is very likely to convince anyone else of anything.
Are you seriously suggesting that I 'shake hands' with someone who claims that PJ improved on Tolkien? lol! You jest!

........ By the way, you might want to kick back more. You seem... stressed out. And if you took any of my post as anything but a joke, I apologize. Don't take life so seriously. And definitely don't take this thread so seriously.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #682
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
It's not just this thread - most of the movie threads & even some of the book threads seem affected, which is what is making me keep my mouth shut. I'm by no means a great Tolkien scholar, but I do enjoy his work, however I refuse to be made to feel like an imbicile for not sharing someone's views. And a few of the threads, 'specially in the books forum seem a bit elitist, so I don't feel quite comfortable posting my opinions because I have seen a few people being 'shot down' & I'm not into self-inflicted derision. I do still enjoy reading them though, there are some really interesting views & opinions being shared. Not to worry though, there are still a few threads that have not become war zones, if I see any that catch my eye I'll post something there.
Okay, I realize that a newbie here might rightly wonder what's going on. Most of the jabs here are made tongue-in-cheek. We've been doing this for so long now that most posters here know its all meant in fun. Actually, if the truth be known, the Purists who post here think I'm a heck of a nice guy. Those guys all just pretend to hate me. In fact, my buddy, Wayfarer, regularly emails me for advice, Ruinel sends me sweet electronic greeting cards, and Sheeana has invited me to lunch the next time I stop through New Zealand. You see the purists here are...sob...just like family to me!!! :: A big, Frodo-sized tear streams down BB's chubby little cheek::

But Baby-K, I will admit that when I first came here, I was like you. I was rather shocked and really put off my the elitist attitude of the Entmoot book people and their condescending attitude about the movie. So my initial approach was to give them a dose of their own medicine. But I swear, I would rather read an annoying - but interesting - anti-Jackson post than to read the type of drivel coming from blowhards like bropous who spends half a page telling us how boring this thread is.

Oops...I promised myself I was gonna start toning it down a bit. Well, it would be helpful if somebody would please post something on-topic to get us back on a real discussion track. I'm too braindead tonight to do it myself. So who's game? Weak Frodo? Xenarwen? jokester Gimili anyone? Please anything but another bropous post!!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:57 PM   #683
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
How many angels CAN dance on the head of a Balrog?

The correct answer is SEVEN.

If you gave any other answer, you are either an idiot, a moron, have never read the books, worship the movie, deserve derision and scorn, should be shunned, are worth nothing, have no value, and nowhere in life nor in death will you demonstrate any positive quality, even accidentally. You are WRONG, and therefore, DUMB.

Sound familiar?

Mein Gott, is there NOTHING more deserving of discussion than this tired old beaten dead horse? Has ANYTHING been said in the last TEN pages that had not been said, said again, chewed over, spat out and redigested in pages 1-15??????

Oh, that's right. New and inventive permutations on the ad hominem. I KNEW there was a purpose to this.

It just gets boring. Nothing new, no REAL new wrinkle, just re-examinations of one's own navel and self-praise for the superiority of "innies" versus "outies". Sophistry, pure and simple.

And does ANY of this advance understanding of either Tolkien's books or Jackson's films? I challenge all and sundry to provide evidence that it has.

Look around, folks, this thread has all the ambiance of an infinite number of monkeys banging away at an infinite number of typewriters and standing around waiting for the first copy of "Hamlet" to spill out, typo-free, from the simian copy production staff.

Solution? Shake hands, go off into the ether, and realize that no one is very likely to convince anyone else of anything.

Frankly, some folks might want to stop what they are doing before they go blind.....(hint hint)

BoP, glad to see you're still around, ya little contrarian you! Great disguise...

[Where's that red lipstick......Lizra?]
You actually spent five minutes of your life typing all that out?

*shakes head*

*wonders if all that time being stuck up a mountain has given bropus altitude sickness*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:11 PM   #684
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Ruinel sends me sweet electronic greeting cards.
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah. It's cuz you are so hot.
Quote:
You see the purists here are...sob...just like family to me!!! :: A big, Frodo-sized tear streams down BB's chubby little cheek::
Quit crying or I'll beat the crap out of you like you were a little whiny brother or something. (Is that family enough for you?) lol!
Quote:
But I swear, I would rather read an annoying - but interesting - anti-Jackson post than to read the type of drivel coming from blowhards like bropous who spends half a page telling us how boring this thread is.
*snif* that... was ... so... *snif* ... sweet.... *snif*
..................... I think I need a hug.
Quote:
So who's game? Weak Frodo? Xenarwen? jokester Gimili anyone?
What about the old tired dead horse bar-b-q? Who's gonna eat all this meat? And what about all the beer in the cooler? You can't possibly expect me to drink that by myself... please!

................ fine...*pops open new beer* .......... uh........... hmmmm.... Weak Frodo.....
Old 05-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #685
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
I would rather read an annoying - but interesting - anti-Jackson post than to read the type of drivel coming from blowhards like bropous who spends half a page telling us how boring this thread is.

Oops...I promised myself I was gonna start toning it down a bit. Well, it would be helpful if somebody would please post something on-topic to get us back on a real discussion track. I'm too braindead tonight to do it myself. So who's game? Weak Frodo? Xenarwen? jokester Gimili anyone? Please anything but another bropous post!!!!
Yes, careful there, BB. Not everyone has a sense of humor, and I don't want another flare up, thank you.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #686
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
In fact, my buddy, Wayfarer, regularly emails me for advice,
Really??? What about?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:18 AM   #687
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

How to improve upon his insufferability.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #688
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I read in TORN today that Ghan-Buri-Ghan will not be making an appearance in ROTK. I'm curious what the rest of you think of this decision.

It may just be me, but I never felt comfortable with Ghan and his crew in the book. They didn't seem to "fit" into the Middle-Earth universe. I thought even Tom Bombadil was a much better representative of Middle-Earth than Ghan-Buri-Ghan. Considering the massive amount of the story that needs to be covered in ROTK, I view Jackson's decision to exclude him as a wise one.

Agree? Disagree?
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #689
Ruinel
Banned

disagree.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #690
Gwaimir Windgem

Disagree. Majorly, majorly, MAJORLY disagree. That -insert rude adjective- BASTARD. (Note: I don't think he is literally a bastard, but the usual nouns just don't suffice in this incident). Woses just flat out RULE. They are awesome. And I have no idea why you say they don't fit into Tolkien's world.

My gosh, PJ must be writing this movie specifically for me. He's managed to kill off my three FAVOURITE characters. (excluding Gandalf, and possibly Galadriel).

Ruinel, I just may take you up on the offer of Orc-killing. I know one with a beard and glasses who'm I just feel like ripping apart with my bare hands right now.

-not a happy moth-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2003, 01:22 AM   #691
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

It figures. Take out the one thing I was looking forwards to in RoTK - I already know everything else (Shelob, Mt. Doom, etc) will be crap. PJ seems to be a big fan of misrepresenting Middle Earth - how are the woses not part of ME??
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:29 AM   #692
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

What? No woses? Fne!

Well I guess it was to be expected. With throwing Shelob into the third movie something else had to be thrown out if you still want a decent lenght of film. Wish he had skipped the whole thing in Osgiliath in the second movie instead. Fne, I'm really starting to fear that ROTK will be mayorly simplified.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:52 AM   #693
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

No Woses........doesn't PJ weally luv us anymore?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:39 AM   #694
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Ruinel, I just may take you up on the offer of Orc-killing. I know one with a beard and glasses who'm I just feel like ripping apart with my bare hands right now.
*hands Gwai a beer and a plate of Dead Horse BBQ* There's potato salad over there *points toward potato salad* and cole slaw right next to it. But first, let me show you this. *brings Gwai over to weapons hoard* Take your pick, have some BBQ and we'll talk strategy over the ice cream later.

I also, would like to know why Ghan-Buri-Ghan and his people don't fit into ME.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:19 AM   #695
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by EƤrniel
What? No woses? Fne!

Well I guess it was to be expected. With throwing Shelob into the third movie something else had to be thrown out if you still want a decent lenght of film. Wish he had skipped the whole thing in Osgiliath in the second movie instead. Fne, I'm really starting to fear that ROTK will be mayorly simplified.
Yeah. He threw out the Scouring for Shelob. There's no excuse for the Woses.

Thanks Ruinel. I'll pass on the potato salad, though. Hmm...I'll take Glamdring. Should glow blinkin' pink for PJ.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2003, 07:29 AM   #696
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I won't miss the wild men. Tom Bombadil...Yes, missed! Ghan...no. That's just one of the parts I always speed through.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #697
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yeah. He threw out the Scouring for Shelob. There's no excuse for the Woses.

Thanks Ruinel. I'll pass on the potato salad, though. Hmm...I'll take Glamdring. Should glow blinkin' pink for PJ.
Take this shiny shield also. You can use it like a mirror when you attack PJ. You don't want to look directly at him. *shudders*

The scene with Shelob is far better than the Scouring. That is when Sam gets his balls. And it is also when he first has physical contact with The Ring. He has an inner struggle against temptation and makes the decision to take the Ring to it's end. Sam's love for and loyalty towards Frodo is really apparent. (Get your minds out of the gutter!)

It is, however, very sad that the Scouring is not present. How do you know this?

Tom B. grated on my friggin' nerves! It is the only thing Tolkien wrote that I just didn't click with.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #698
Gwaimir Windgem

It has been known for some time that Jackson will not be filming the Scouring of the Shire.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-23-2003, 08:30 AM   #699
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
It has been known for some time that Jackson will not be filming the Scouring of the Shire.
*puts face in hands and weeps* I hate him... I hate him so much.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:17 AM   #700
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Disagree. Mainly because he will use the time that could have been spent on the Woses on another one of his ideas to improve to story.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote