Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #661
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

You're thinking about Finrod too much, SGH - you forgot Maedhros' epessë was Russandol ("copper-top") for his red hair inherited from his mom.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #662
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
You're thinking about Finrod too much, SGH - you forgot Maedhros' epessë was Russandol ("copper-top") for his red hair inherited from his mom.
Oh yeah!!! Thanks. Hey, I can never think of Findarato too much.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #663
Kellquenti
Enting

Rian's right Maedhros and the twins had red hair. It's not any of the brothers' fault that they did bad things, It was the curse of the oath that made them like they were. I can understand that. Thanks for the warning Sister Golden Hair, Who or what is this Stick of Wrath? I'm logging off for an hour or so. Do I need my sword and armour when I get back to defend myself and my beloved Feanorians?
Kellquenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #664
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellquenti
Thanks for the warning Sister Golden Hair, Who or what is this Stick of Wrath? I'm logging off for an hour or so. Do I need my sword and armour when I get back to defend myself and my beloved Feanorians?
The Stick of Wrath is what I use to keep the mooters in line. If you stick around long enough, you may get to experience the SoW.

For more on the Stick of Wrath, see the first page of this thread.

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?t=11722

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #665
Kellquenti
Enting

Ah ,I understand all now!! I shall try to be a good mooter. Remind me if I get too out of hand in defence of those Feanorians. Back in an hour.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #666
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Hey, I have the cp, so don't give me any crap. And Anna, no remarks about that or I'll show you all I've learned about useing it.

Yes, I am a Thingol hater, and with good reason.

Elemmire, where are you? I need backup here!!!
I'm on vacation.

It doesn't look like you've needed my help, though... That was quite entertaining to read... I wish I'd been there...

What actually is there to like about Thingol... if you ask me, half of the problems between Doriath and the Feanorians was his own fault... and then the Dwarves and the Nauglamir? Can that guy do anything right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellquenti
Any anti- Feanorians out there I don't care what you say, my Elf has to be Maedhros. Tall, with fiery red hair and a spirit to match!.,and all those important, "fine skills" mastered to perfection single handed. Yep, Maitimo gets my undivided attention!
For me, whatever attention doesn't go to Finrod goes to Maedhros... But sorry, Kell, there's not really a lot left...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #667
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire

For me, whatever attention doesn't go to Finrod goes to Maedhros... But sorry, Kell, there's not really a lot left...
What kind of Finrod lover are you, Ungoliant? If you love Finrod as you say you do, there would be 0 attention going to Maedhros. Shame on you.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #668
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Come now, you seem to be giving at least some attention to Fingon also.

What's a poor fox to do when the one she loves is shamelessly hogged by the Queen of Nargothrond...?

*warily eyes the SoW*

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #669
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Come now, you seem to be giving at least some attention to Fingon also.

What's a poor fox to do when the one she loves is shamelessly hogged by the Queen of Nargothrond...?

*warily eyes the SoW*
Nope. Fingon gets none of my attention. I said he would be my second choice to Finrod. See the difference? Yes, I do hog him and will continue. He's mine I tell you, my own, my precious.

Reaches for the SoW Better run little fox.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #670
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Reaches for the SoW Better run little fox.
Better run? Well, I did log off for a minute...

Though... that was because the librarian kicked me off when someone else wanted the computer...
Quote:
He's mine I tell you, my own, my precious.
You had better be careful, SGH... Finrod might not like you so much if he notices how much you're beginning to ressemble Gollum...

And then this sweet little will be ready to step in and fill your place.

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 04:09 PM   #671
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Better run? Well, I did log off for a minute...

Though... that was because the librarian kicked me off when someone else wanted the computer...

You had better be careful, SGH... Finrod might not like you so much if he notices how much you're beginning to ressemble Gollum...

And then this sweet little will be ready to step in and fill your place.
Resemble Gollum? I was just emphasising how important he is to me. I give him all my attention unlike you, fickle one. So, you will never take my place. Never!

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #672
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Resemble Gollum? I was just emphasising how important he is to me. I give him all my attention unlike you, fickle one. So, you will never take my place. Never!
Oh dear. She doesn't even see it happening. That is a very, very bad sign.

If you see any shiny golden ring, SGH, stay far, far away from it...

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #673
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oh dear. She doesn't even see it happening. That is a very, very bad sign.

If you see any shiny golden ring, SGH, stay far, far away from it...
Not to worry. Remember in my beloveds time, the Rings did not exist. Your logic is flawed.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #674
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Not to worry. Remember in my beloveds time, the Rings did not exist. Your logic is flawed.
Well... I might be able to get around that. Considering that he was soon released from Mandos (not something anyone else here can say about their "man," , well... unless they like Glorfindel), he probably knows something about the Rings.

Maybe.

Anyway... just stay away from the Silmarils then. Though... I suppose that shouldn't be too hard...

SGH, why does everyone else dislike him so much? Why all the accusations of perfection?

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #675
Kellquenti
Enting

I'm back., Elemmire ,I'll grab what's left!!! and fight like hell for Maedhros!
Tell me this Fingon What's he really like?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #676
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

SGH, why does everyone else dislike him so much? Why all the accusations of perfection?
Well, you've heard the saying: "Ignorance breeds hatred" I don't think they really know his character well. They remember how good he was and actually are admitting that he's too good for them. being to good can be boring for some, so they pick guys like Feanor, because he gets into trouble and it's exciting. They don't realise that Finrod, although good, did not live a hum drum life and had several exciting adventures of his own. Because he was such a nice fellow though, they want to call him perfect. It's just ignorance, that's all.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #677
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

You're probably right.

He's obviously not perfect. He's simply the best of the Silmarillion characters, or one of. Seeing as how he's not a kinslayer, or homicidally obsessive, or incestuous, or a mixture of all three and many more... But because half of the other characters seem to be pyschotic, by comparison he seems perfect.

And boring. I don't see what about him seems boring... Now, if you're going to make a claim like that about Thingol or even Turgon... I could understand.

Kellquenti, welcome back. Sadly, I have to go in less than five minutes.

I'll see you around a bit next week, I'm sure, when I can stay on the internet practically 24/7. Anyone can tell you... I don't get off...

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #678
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
You're probably right.

He's obviously not perfect. He's simply the best of the Silmarillion characters, or one of. Seeing as how he's not a kinslayer, or homicidally obsessive, or incestuous, or a mixture of all three and many more... But because half of the other characters seem to be pyschotic, by comparison he seems perfect.
I got lost in your discusion, who are you talking about?
As for what you just said, I think that fits rather perfectly with Beleg exept that he is perfect, or, was *sob* until he passed away
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #679
Kellquenti
Enting

Elemmire, see you next week, I only get to get online after 18:00 UK time. Will be watching the threads with interest!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #680
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Húrin. I mean he killed the seventy trolls that were guarding Gothmog and then slew an uncounet amount of orcs before he finally got captured not slain. He then survived 28 years captivity in Angband and never asked for mercy for either him of his kin. After being freed he then slew Mim for betraying his son so that makes him a good father. What's not to like?

Quote:
why does everyone else dislike him so much? Why all the accusations of perfection?
Even though it wasn't directed at me I don't dislike him. He is my favourite elven charcter and third favourite behind Húrin and Aragorn.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote