Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #661
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

-not suited for this board---

Last edited by Spock : 06-21-2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: not suited for PG-13 rated board
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #662
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OK GUYS- poor taste is no substitute for dialogue. IF you can't stay on topic without this, we'll close the topic for a time.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #663
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

and the topic is.....??? OH!!!!! Sorry.

Ok, here's the thing, love is live is love....but "Some" would say "We can only love certain 'others' or else it is 'unsanctioned love' and an abolminal sin....lovely

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:04 PM   #664
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Somehow, klatty, I knew Spock wouldn't let that through.

Though, seriously, Spock, I really think only the last sentence was unacceptable.

EB, that ain't the way it is.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #665
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

godsdamn! If only everyone would learn from that story! Now it's blocked!

I have always said that women all have to be a tiny bit attracted to other women because the female body is just too beautiful.
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 AM   #666
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatukatt
I have always said that women all have to be a tiny bit attracted to other women because the female body is just too beautiful.
I agree with that, from my personal feelings anyway.

Though I must add that the male body is gorgeous. It stands to reason that men would be a tiny bit attracted to each other too.

Though I think sexuality is a non-linear spectrum. Some people will find themselves on an extreme end of things and only be attracted to men, say.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 AM   #667
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yup.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 AM   #668
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh definitely. We're all a little bit gay, some of us are just more so.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #669
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well i agree with the Komrade K and Nurv ... but i am not so sure it works both ways Nurv, at least to such an equal way ... i do not find men physically attractive at all... i'd be a lesbian though!

BB's mind wanders off .. outside of time and space, on paths of which he will not tell .... naked, i was sent back for a time .... Sir Ian Mckellen is gay btw ... are we to deny the right of Gandalf himself to get married?

...er... wsrong thread again ...*damn darts* ...

i mean is it wrong for Gandalf to be gay?

What of the Ents and treebeards? I mean ... the entwives haven't been around for a fair old while .... plenty of hardwood in the forests ...

do we, if we make moral judgments about homosexuality apply them equally to mankind as to animals or fictional / mythical creatures?

We knbow that some animals display homosexual or 'gay' behaviour in nature: does this then mean it is a natural thing, and that only man in his arrogance has deemed it 'dodgy'?

Or do we apply the same moral viewpoints on homosxuality to horses, orcs, ents, Miar, Wizards and ...er.. Balrogs?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #670
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Though I think sexuality is a non-linear spectrum.
That's worth saying twice.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #671
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
plenty of hardwood in the forests ...

Wouldnt this cause a fire eventually though?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #672
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex

Wouldnt this cause a fire eventually though?
No, you can't start fires just by rubbing two sticks together!

Please don't mod that, it's t3h funnee and not too over the top!

Quote:
well i agree with the Komrade K and Nurv ... but i am not so sure it works both ways Nurv, at least to such an equal way ... i do not find men physically attractive at all... i'd be a lesbian though!
Maybe you're right. The non-linear spectrum might not apply in the same way to everyone. Is sexuality complicated or what?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 06-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #673
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
We knbow that some animals display homosexual or 'gay' behaviour in nature: does this then mean it is a natural thing, and that only man in his arrogance has deemed it 'dodgy'?
I think this is an equivocation on "nature". If by "a natural thing", you mean one found beyond the sphere of direct human control and in the domain of plants and animals, than yes. But if one say's something is or is not natural, they generally mean natural in a different sense, namely, the fundamental way that things are or ought to be. In which case, I say that it is not natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurv
No, you can't start fires just by rubbing two sticks together!
Scandal!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #674
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Is a "non-linear spectrum" something like a color wheel?
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #675
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I think this is an equivocation on "nature". If by "a natural thing", you mean one found beyond the sphere of direct human control and in the domain of plants and animals, than yes. But if one say's something is or is not natural, they generally mean natural in a different sense, namely, the fundamental way that things are or ought to be. In which case, I say that it is not natural.
I don't think natural is meant to be used to say that something ought not to exist. If something is natural, it occurs without excessive manipulation. GMO's could be deemed unnatural, but there is certainly a grey area.

Homosexuality is natural, whether you agree with it or not. If you don't, you could go on to say that while it is natural, it is not good for you, sort of like Red tide.

To say that it is not natural is misleading. You can agree that it occurs in nature without giving homosexuality a stamp of approval.

Quote:
Scandal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
Is a "non-linear spectrum" something like a color wheel?
Yeah, something like that, I think. My mental image is a little hazy.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 06-23-2006 at 11:03 AM. Reason: because my evil smilie ended up in the wrong place
Old 06-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #676
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
I don't think natural is meant to be used to say that something ought not to exist. If something is natural, it occurs without excessive manipulation. GMO's could be deemed unnatural, but there is certainly a grey area.

Homosexuality is natural, whether you agree with it or not. If you don't, you could go on to say that while it is natural, it is not good for you, sort of like Red tide.

To say that it is not natural is misleading. You can agree that it occurs in nature without giving homosexuality a stamp of approval.

Yeah, something like that, I think. My mental image is a little hazy.
Nurv,

Your second paragraph is so very close to recognizing that one can disagree with the gay agenda without condemning the persons, do you really mean it?
Because when I have taken that tack I have been accused of all sorts of evils that were not in fact true. The data, remember?

Occurrence in nature is not a stamp of approval. That is a good recognition. When I have argued from that stance, I have been further accused of all the PC evils.

And it's not a color wheel, its a spiral!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #677
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Well of course its NATURAL if its found in NATURE. There has to be a reason for its existence in populations in nature. Its not all coincidence. And what the heck do you mean by "way things ought to be" exactly? According to whom? Just because you dont like certain aspects of nature doesnt make them 'wrong'. The question is always WHY it occurs not how can we explain it away. There must be some benefit to it if you see it across species and within such a wide variety of environments.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #678
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:

Quote:
Male big horn sheep live in what are often called "homosexual societies." They bond through genital licking and anal intercourse, which often ends in ejaculation. If a male sheep chooses to not have gay sex, it becomes a social outcast. Ironically, scientists call such straight-laced males "effeminate."

Giraffes have all-male orgies. So do bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, gray whales, and West Indian manatees. Japanese macaques, on the other hand, are ardent lesbians; the females enthusiastically mount each other. Bonobos, one of our closest primate relatives, are similar, except that their lesbian sexual encounters occur every two hours. Male bonobos engage in "penis fencing," which leads, surprisingly enough, to ejaculation. They also give each other genital massages.

As this list of activities suggests, having homosexual sex is the biological equivalent of apple pie: Everybody likes it. At last count, over 450 different vertebrate species could be beheaded in Saudi Arabia. You name it, there's a vertebrate out there that does it. Nevertheless, most biologists continue to regard homosexuality as a sexual outlier. According to evolutionary theory, being gay is little more than a maladaptive behavior.
http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/200...p?page=all&p=y

Reply by PZ Meyers:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2...osexuality.php

So I'm not sure what you mean by "the fundamental way thngs are or ought to be" and that "that it is not natural".

You mean that even though rams often mount each other in the wild, this is against the way things ought to be? How so?
Is this a result of the Fall? Did they not exhibit this behaviour in the Garden? Are they morally at fault?

The US government actually has an extensive program to breed homosexual behavior out of male sheep. For economic, not moral reasons, of course, but it apparently hasn't worked too well so far.

Last edited by GreyMouser : 06-23-2006 at 02:37 PM.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #679
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Small correction there. Bonobos aren't just "one of" of closest relatives. They ARE our closest relative. Until recently we were told that chimpanzees were our closest relative, and their male dominant society was given as evidence that similar human societies were more natural. But bonobos are a closer relative, so by the same argument, diverse sexual behaviors are natural. Which is, of course, a jumping to conclusions. In my opinion, humans, like crows, imitate the most successful relations they see, so sometimes they are one way and sometimes another (Polynesian marriage customs, for instance, were the most successful way to survive). Which could mean that in our period of overpopulation, non-progenitive forms of sexual behavior might be more successful for the species as a whole. And maybe it's high time we took a clue from the bonobos. They don't make war, like chimps, they make love.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #680
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Ever hear of the phrase "nature of things" "nature of the universe" "nature of man" etc.? That's what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I disagree, and you don't seem to have posited any sort of reason for me to change my opinion, so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
But no, I just said that's an equivocation on nature. Read what I write!
[/QUOTE]

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle