Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #661
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

This is the one. Its as neutral as you make it. Any thread you make on the topic will recieve the same scorn you realize of course. We have been known to break out into a evolution argument in the middle of a thread on marriage and the Fourth of July.

So make sure you have your asbetos long johns on but dont be afraid to dive in with the evidence you have.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #662
Acran Mern

It doesn't really make a dif to me one way or the other, someone else suggested this thread as a better place for the discussion. I'm just making myself available for target practice

Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #663
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

true evidence for creationism (in a scientific sense) would have to be the witnessing of something being created by a godlike being, implying that if god can create "x" object right now (even if it was something as small as a pebble), he could have created us long ago

this is why evolution is a theory... we see evolution on a small scale and imply that it occured on a larger scale... the implication may not be totally correct... but there is at least evidence that evolution (as in minor change from offspring to offspring) can and does happen in the real world

are there any observable "acts of god" in real life that can imply his power or influence?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #664
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

true evidence for creationism (in a scientific sense) would have to be the witnessing of something being created by a godlike being, implying that if god can create "x" object right now (even if it was something as small as a pebble), he could have created us long ago

this is why evolution is a theory... we see evolution on a small scale and imply that it occured on a larger scale... the implication may not be totally correct... but there is at least evidence that evolution (as in minor change from offspring to offspring) can and does happen in the real world

are there any observable "acts of god" in real life that can imply his power or influence?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #665
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
personally I side with the chimps

er... which side is that then?

bring back philosophy i say.

Truth, logic, morality, ethics, semantics, mathematics and THE right vehicle to examine both creationism and evolutionism.

personally it intrigues me that both science and religion work from a rigid and structured approach .. i find it no less true that science needs things to fit into it's strictures and models of established thought than religion does -

at core, although obviously science moves on.

But whither the inexplorable march of Science? To godhood? Would the evolutionists then be proved wrong, by their own hand?

I find the motives behind attempting to erode evolutionism interesting though, is it a far-fetched or very valid response to the question above? or more likely fear of the march of science towards their own human made creationism: thus creationism wins by a length ridden by the science lobby.

EDIT: blimey both evolution and creationism is happening fast in this thread ... there are already 4 or 5 new posts since i started reading and just posted: if we are a microcosm of the pace of change or religious angst ...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #666
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
personally I side with the chimps

er... which side is that then?

bring back philosophy i say.

Truth, logic, morality, ethics, semantics, mathematics and THE right vehicle to examine both creationism and evolutionism.

personally it intrigues me that both science and religion work from a rigid and structured approach .. i find it no less true that science needs things to fit into it's strictures and models of established thought than religion does -

at core, although obviously science moves on.

But whither the inexplorable march of Science? To godhood? Would the evolutionists then be proved wrong, by their own hand?

I find the motives behind attempting to erode evolutionism interesting though, is it a far-fetched or very valid response to the question above? or more likely fear of the march of science towards their own human made creationism: thus creationism wins by a length ridden by the science lobby.

EDIT: blimey both evolution and creationism is happening fast in this thread ... there are already 4 or 5 new posts since i started reading and just posted: if we are a microcosm of the pace of change or religious angst ...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #667
Acran Mern

I'd prefer to take questions 'cause...well...where does one start

Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #668
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OK, I think right here is the perfect place to place your target. I'll note it for the other posters. Good luck and don't forget your helmet.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #669
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

IR has nailed it.

This would definitely be "Tactic III"

Rian - I read the first several pages of that link and then skimmed the rest. While not harmful - the proposed things are unnecessary and ridiculous.

Hey lets put disclaimers on sciene books that gravity is just a theory. Lets have an official come into the classroom and tell the students that gravity is just a theory and that it could be wrong and that you should not believe it flat out.

A theory does not mean "best guess." It is more than that. And theories ARE always being changed when new evidence and new research comes into play.

All those additions and changes really insults everyone involved.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #670
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

IR has nailed it.

This would definitely be "Tactic III"

Rian - I read the first several pages of that link and then skimmed the rest. While not harmful - the proposed things are unnecessary and ridiculous.

Hey lets put disclaimers on sciene books that gravity is just a theory. Lets have an official come into the classroom and tell the students that gravity is just a theory and that it could be wrong and that you should not believe it flat out.

A theory does not mean "best guess." It is more than that. And theories ARE always being changed when new evidence and new research comes into play.

All those additions and changes really insults everyone involved.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #671
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Questions? well... evidence comes to mind...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #672
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

note to all mooters

PLEASE NOTE*****Acran Mern

Acran Mern will be taking questions and rebutting in the following forum to make it easier and flowing. = Evidence for Creationism
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #673
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

note to all mooters

Acran Mern will be taking questions and rebutting in the following forum to make it easier and flowing. = Evidence for Creationism
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #674
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
I see you found the other thread. Now we decide whether to merge or not.
nah... i vote for free-form discussion... splits and merges never help true converstion emerge
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #675
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
I see you found the other thread. Now we decide whether to merge or not.
nah... i vote for free-form discussion... splits and merges never help true converstion emerge
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #676
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:

snap!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #677
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:

snap!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #678
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

gets mending tape and rushes to brownjenkins aid
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #679
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

gets mending tape and rushes to brownjenkins aid
Old 08-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #680
Acran Mern

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins

I'm not familiar with any kind of animal that we have observed into another kind of animal. I do not deny that there can be slight changes _within_ a kind. However, I don't believe that that necessarily means they can change from one kind to another (fish to amphibian, reptile to bird, reptile to mammal, land mammal to whale) This we do not see in the present (your use of the term real life doesn't quite work, sorry), nor do we see it in the fossil record. Evolutionists _assume_ that this can happen because they see smaller things like height differences, fur or plumage coloring, limb length, tooth shape.

Closed Thread