Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM   #661
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Hey BB - don't get me wrong, but you really need to stop bumping the Official Info thread just to keep it higher on the list. That's really not fair to those playing other games. It's already a bit overboard to have a third thread on this one game (so now we're taking 3/20ths of the first page slots) - and this game shouldn't get special treatment over the others. If that thread will be used right, Earniel and I are willing to give it a chance. But we have to let it rise and fall naturally, or we're not being fair to all the other games here. If we can't do that, then we will have to just close it.

Back to comments on the game. We seem to have different methods of numbering courses. Here in America, we use three-digit numbers - so you might have Psychology 100, or Mathematics 135, or History 210 - or whatever - with numbers all determined by each university - but 100's & 200's are normally undergrad - 300's are for either undergrad or grad students - and 400's strictly grad students (at least that's how they numbered where I went to school).

I see someone took on a similar method (was it Shah?) - but someone else had used 'A', 'B', 'C' - etc. I actually used Roman numerals in my first post - kind of a little joke that there wasn't so much knowledge in all these areas at this time and a couple courses would pretty much make you an expert. Also - Roman numerals just seemed to 'fit'.

So... what do you guys think we should use?

Also - another little 'joke' I did was having Valandil take 'Embalming III' - mostly because JRRT tells us that the Numenoreans were rather obsessed with death. So I thought it would be funny to have him taking a III Level class in that - with just a II in Bridge-building and I in Ship-building (he WAS now in Tharbad after all - not so many ships in the northern part of the kingdom - just a few small boats really).

Anyway... I'm really surprised that none of you wanted to take 'Embalming III' with me!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #662
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh, i AM embalmed just now

yeah, ok will stop the "patrols" ... just thought that was what i had been asked to do ...

you got to admit though Sire ... you could sleep safe with the Guv and conastable BB around ....

*cups hands in head again*

oh yeah BTW LCOU is back! Look forward to him playing a nazgul ... before we get outnimbered by the Arnorian secret service guys.

best all, just plain old BB (shooks!)
*lays down the solid badge, folds up the watch uniform, wipes a tear from his merry eye ...*
Old 09-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #663
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
... he is easily distracted by momentary...
I think Distraction has become sort of a theme in this game. Valandil certainly came to Tharbad seeking a distraction. And even the most-frequented place, The Red Herring - takes its name from an expression about distraction.

Anyway... perhaps everyone is getting distracted themselves. The post rate seems to be dipping, which means it is now possible for me to actually keep up with READING these thread!

Why don't you guys continue on with the party. Valandil might just skip it and rest up for his big day, while his real 'handler' tends to other things.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #664
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
... I do not know of a possibility to inserts posts at the beginning of a thread (perhaps Val does)...
There is a way... but I have only used it once.

Very... dangerous, it is...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #665
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Also - another little 'joke' I did was having Valandil take 'Embalming III' - mostly because JRRT tells us that the Numenoreans were rather obsessed with death. So I thought it would be funny to have him taking a III Level class in that - with just a II in Bridge-building and I in Ship-building (he WAS now in Tharbad after all - not so many ships in the northern part of the kingdom - just a few small boats really).

Anyway... I'm really surprised that none of you wanted to take 'Embalming III' with me!
Uh-huh, I really forgot about Embalming. Perhaps you can have a girl or two there...
Perhaps Aiwendis? She will have reat time alone with Val...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #666
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nazgul

Hi, BUTTERBEER, I think it is time to fill EDITABLE spaces at the beginning of the thread.

Here is the text I ask you to insert into space 2 or 3, above character bios.
If you will edit it a little, it won't hurt!

Nazgul concept

Nazgul Rings and Invisibility

At the time of our RPG story, at the beginning of the Third Age, we believe that the nazgul still had their Rings. (Note: At the time when the LOTR story is set, the nazgul had no rings, it was Sauron who held the Nine. Having no rings, nazgul bodies were permanently invisible, while their clothes were visible.)

In this RPG we assume that a Nazgul ring, when it was fully mastered, could make the wraith visible or invisible at will, exactly like when Sauron was wearing the One. The wielder only had to master his Ring and know the appropriate spells. Presumably, the freshly-made nazgul, when first assembled in Mordor, had some “Advanced Training for Ring-users” by Prof. Sauron himself. After that, they could wield their Rings to their full power. The absence of reports of nazgul activity from the late Second age till TA 1300 could probably be explained by their ability to look “normal”. The Witch-King during his reign of Angmar managed to hide his identity and pass for a mortal for hundreds of years.

We assume that mortals and most elves could be easily fooled by a visible Nazgul. To remain undetected, the main idea was to avoid wizards, Calaquendi (Valinorean) Elves and the wielders of the Three, as they could see the nazgul’s fea in the spirit world and so recognize him for what he was.

Additional RPG concepts:
- Nazgul leave no reflection in mirrors.
- A nazgul can’t be in both worlds at once. If he is invisible, he does not see material objects, can’t read a letter for instance. If he is visible, he can’t see the Spirit world objects, so another invisible nazgul or a wraith can pass by him unnoticed.

Nazgul Powers and Weaknesses

The nine were of different power. The Morgul-Lord (later called the Witch-King) was more powerful in all things than the other 8.

-The nazgul shriek is a powerful spell causing terror and despair in others.
-The nazgul can cause “Black Shadow” or “Black Breath” disease in mortals at will.
-Morgul blades permit them to turn mortals into wraiths under the nazgul control.
-Nazgul are capable to communicate with each other silently by mind-speech via their rings (but not at a great distance).

However, all the above spells would hardly suit nazgul in disguise. They will give them away immediately.
Any number of additional powers and spells could be expected. Nazgul are capable of reading minds and control other’s minds to an extent. They easily catch unguarded thoughts, they can delve deeper unnoticed by most mortals. They can also break into a shielded mind, but that requires direct confrontation of wills, time, potions and torture.

Nazgul appearance

The nazgul have never died, but faded, their bodies becoming invisible. We have no indications that the nazgul turned into zombies, or mutated monsters, or walking skeletons. Instead, we know that Bilbo and Frodo looked exactly the same, not a day older, as long as they kept their Ring. So every nazgul, when visible, looks the same age he had when he was given the Ring.

Nazgul identity

Tolkien wrote that 3 of the Nine were Numenoreans. In this RPG we have 3 female nazgul, though, most likely, Tolkien meant for all the Nine to be males.

1. The Captain of the Nine is the Morgul-Lord or Lord Morgul. Our story is set 1250 years before Angmar period, so he can*t be called ìWitch-Kingî yet. In Tharbad he is known as Lord Ilmenzor, Arch-Chancellor of the University.

2.Lord Khamul the Black Easterling is a canon name for the Second to the Chief. In Tharbad he calls himself Galadannun, Professor of Oriental Languages.

3.Vacant

4.Vacant

5.Lord Buzukkumarz or simply Five. In Tharbad he calls himself Pengolod, or Penny.

6.Lady Lilaenwen or Lilly. Calls herself by her real name.

7. Lady Gordis. In Tharbad she is known as Lady Aiwendis, the only daughter of the Arch-Chancellor of the University. Aiwendis happens to be her real name.

8. Vacant

9. Lady Viniglaen or Viv. Calls herself by her real name.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #667
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

THANK YOU, thanx so much, Gordis! Killer summary! That'll clear things up for a lot of people here, no doubt!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #668
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

tis' done, oh 007!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #669
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I decided to follow Lotesse and Rian and post my own bio in the INFO thread. Hope it is OK.
Nice nazgul concept BB and Gor.

What about our impromtu (And in real-Life our long-expected) party?

Eh, Lotesse?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #670
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, iv'e sobered up ... a party could be fun

p.s was all gor's.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #671
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I start the party? Very well, I'll start the party. Soon. Later on, in a little while. You know, it's just a "come as you are" klinda thing; there are no hard 'n fast rules or anything. Anybody who wants to start writing whatever they feel like, please do! I don't mean to hold anyone up, but I have a feeling I may have done just that by bringing up the party idea in between Chancellor meetings. Zut alors!

Old 09-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #672
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Thanx 4 bringing us home, Crazy Squirrel!
Valandil - how come the King is "pussing out?" Is he too scared to be in a Nazgul's home? *deliberate goading of Val to come to the party*

Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #673
CrazySquirrel

He is a mortal weakling! Must go to bed early in order to be in time at the 6 PM reception!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #674
CrazySquirrel

Vivvie! Dont even THINK about picking the King's pocketses in OUR house.
Lilly
PS. Interesting, really, what has he got in his pocketses. No, not the ring... We would have felt it...

Nice post Lotesse. Where are the others: GW, TD?
Khamul must meet us!

Marty? Ray? Val?

I think good idea if Val comes but bringing his Secret Service guy...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #675
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Tsk, I won't pick his stupid pocketses, Lil, don't worry! At least, not as far as you'll be able to tell... *Viv snickers to self, slinks away*

BB, I just LOVE your latest entry! The little animal kingdom greetings are PRICEless! "Fair flight and nectar a-plenty be yours" replied the Gull. (BB) That was so cute!! I'm liking the talking animals & Butterflies more and more, in our game. It really adds a cool, light touch, and enriches the story's atmosphere methinks. Plus, I like your description's of the way the house & property look from the viewpoint of being up in the tree. Nice!

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-21-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 PM   #676
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

BB, great post! Lotesse, CS, Earniel, my compliments.

BB, thanx for posting my bit about the nazgul into the INFO thread.
Here is another piece to post, I think in the SECOND editable space. It should be before the nazgul part.

Chronology from the Tale of Years (LOTR Appendices)
Second Age

3319 Ar-Pharazôn assails Valinor. Downfall of Númenor. Elendil and his sons escape.
3320 Foundations of the Realms in Exile: Arnor and Gondor. The Stones are divided (II, 54). Sauron returns to Mordor.
3429 Sauron attacks Gondor, takes Minas Ithil and burns the White Tree. Isildur escapes down Anduin and goes to Elendil in the North. Anárion defends Minas Anor and Osgiliath.
3430 The Last Alliance of Elves and Men is formed.
3431 Gil-galad and Elendil march east to Imladris.
3434 The host of the Alliance crosses the Misty Mountains. Battle of Dagorlad and defeat of Sauron. Siege of Barad-dûr begins.
3440 Anárion slain.
3441 Sauron overthrown by Elendil and Gil-galad, who perish. Isildur takes the One Ring. Sauron passes away and the Ringwraiths go into the shadows. The Second Age ends.

Third Age

2 Isildur plants a seedling of the White Tree in Minas Anor. He delivers the South-kingdom to Meneldil. Disaster of the Gladden Fields; Isildur and his three elder sons are slain.
3 Ohtar brings the shards of Narsil to Imladris.
10 Valandil becomes King of Arnor.
49 OUR STORY BEGINS
Old 09-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #677
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

so, the arch chancelllor is the Morgul lord, as we guessed ... have the other nazgul yet seen Gordi's nazgul ... Lady Aiwendis yet?

do they know she is here? Do they know she and the Morgul lord and Khamul are working together?

What do they reckon to the Lord and captain being here?

Also, this gathering of the Wraiths ... most answering the same call: some independently others not. ...

will there be any problems if old mrs W as society reporter attends the party?

Actually come to think on it would they even know she is a society reporter for the Tharbad gazette?

How is rian getting on with staff: she'll need them!

What is happening with the polite ORC? Where is the mysterious blob who ran away?

Why did marty and ray not take wine-tasting???

Who's looking after the special needs (nectar wise) catering?

oh and guys... nazgul drinking miruvor? and like it's available by the bottle load???

well, lotesse if Val had a hole in his pockets, you could get your hands on his crown jewels!

best all civilian BB
*plays last post for Constable BB of the Yard (of ale)*
Old 09-21-2005, 04:58 PM   #678
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

answer: YES!! Major friggin' problems. The idea of a reporter being allowed any kind of access to a home such as this, with not only inhabitants such as these but guests as big as the King himself - think about it. Would Buckingham Palace be O.K. with inviting FOX reporters to a blue-blood party, at all? No, I think not. Sorry, BB, that one's a bad idea. Viv would DEFinitely quickly kill a reporter pushing their way onto the premises, and she's probably not the only one of the household who would. Poor old widow would not even be wraithified, just plain killed, and discreetly disposed of.

(BB quote)Why did marty and ray not take wine-tasting???

answer: VERY, very good question!! I have been really wondering about this myself. Hmm.

(BB quote)oh and guys... nazgul drinking miruvor? and like it's available by the bottle load???

answer: Viniglaen brought a case of it here from her own private cave stash; yes of course nazgul drink miruvor, silly goose! We're not heathens, you know. And that miruvor stash is only for very special occasions, as far as guests go. Viv sure likes it a lot, she helps herself but that is her perogative since she's the one who supplies it. Thieves such as herself don't screw around, we go for the VERY nice stuff. Miruvor's no exception.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #679
CrazySquirrel

Hi, Gor! Are you going to post the Arch-chancellor's bio in the info thread? And Aiwendis?
Quote:
so, the arch chancelllor is the Morgul lord, as we guessed ... have the other nazgul yet seen Gordi's nazgul ... Lady Aiwendis yet? do they know she is here? Do they know she and the Morgul lord and Khamul are working together?
Great idea, BB. We, other wraiths, must start wondering where is our Gordie, when we know that our captain is here. Doesn't she have eon-old crash on Wikkie (sorry, "Morgie")?
What do you think, Lotesse?

Quote:
Also, this gathering of the Wraiths ... most answering the same call: some independently others not. ...
Don't YOU have an explanation, o BB?!

Quote:
You better send her to the Chancellor's reception, BB, and later have her intercept Ray and Marty in the street. That is my personal opinion, of course, you do as you see fit.

Quote:
Actually come to think on it would they even know she is a society reporter for the Tharbad gazette?
Yep, she said so herself before Ray, Marty, Lilly, Viv and Five.

Quote:
oh and guys... nazgul drinking miruvor? and like it's available by the bottle load???
Actually it sounds weird, BB you are right, they should be choking on it most likely. And it should be rare, even in Tharbad Perhaps we should edit it for "Pelargir" or "Lebennin"?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #680
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:

well, lotesse if Val had a hole in his pockets, you could get your hands on his crown jewels!
Lol! Yeah, well, she's got a thing for Khamul, actually...

Closed Thread