Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #661
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
And I'm NOT gonna play with you guys until BOP gives me a really juicy, abject apology for blatantly misusing the quote feature on the Teacup Cafe thread (and she pilfered MY evil idea!!)
BoP, stealing pants, and now ideas... tisk tisk... where will it end?

*looks around nervously while clutching her pants*
Old 02-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #662
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Drgnslyer
I'm not sure where in the bible it specifically says that you cannot use birth controll....if i'm wrong, please let me know.
I'm not sure of this either. (I've really got to read the Bible. Summer reading list book #1.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake†thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 02-28-2004, 04:28 AM   #663
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
And I'm NOT gonna play with you guys until BOP gives me a really juicy, abject apology for blatantly misusing the quote feature on the Teacup Cafe thread ....
I'm sorry. Can you explain the "genetic burden" comment now? *waits patiently*

Quote:
Originally posted by Rian

(and she came up with this great idea to misquote everyone. Of course she'd never do it to me)
Of course I wouldn't, Rian. I'm just too nice like that.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-28-2004 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #664
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Back after my extended absence. Now for the painful task of catching up. Have a lot of reading to do!

--David
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Old 02-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #665
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I'm not sure of this either. (I've really got to read the Bible. Summer reading list book #1.)
I don't think it is explicitly outlawed... (you'll need to read Leviticus, btw, truely fascinating ).
I think the first condom came to England around the James I time... but don't quote me on that. That kinda thing is sort of ruled out by other rules in obeying the general system. The same kinda principle as abortion, except the RS teachers always hazily say 'yeah... i suppose it was around in Biblical times...'
But Leviticus is where to go.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #666
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the Bible do order to 'born children like the sand in the beach', which is interpreted by some people as if god forbids using condoms and other stuff I'm not gonna mention 'cause I'm not suppose to know that stuff - but anything that 'wastes' semen ( ).
Old 02-28-2004, 05:01 PM   #667
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'm sorry.
"I'm sorry"?! THAT'S "a really juicy, abject apology"?!?!

C'mon, let's use some imagination here! Let's use some flattery! Let's use some, um ... let's stretch things a bit!

Here's an example: "Oh, RÃ*an, most astonishingly beautiful and incredibly intelligent of Mooters, I beg of you to please forgive your humble NZ friend for grieviously misusing the hallowed quote feature of our revered Entmoot to smear and libel you and associate you with holding scandalously wrong ideas that are totally against your all-knowing beliefs! For penance, I will publically say here on Entmoot that America and Australia are far superior to NZ, and the All-Blacks suck eggs!"

Got it?

*is waiting patiently for an imaginative apology*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #668
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume le Maréchal
Back after my extended absence. Now for the painful task of catching up. Have a lot of reading to do!

--David
Hi! I was just thinking of you yesterday - I was cleaning out PMs and saw some of yours. Welcome back!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #669
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Totally unintentially on my part, I assure you. You did not say genetics misfits and neither did I say you did. However, when you mentioned huge accumulated genetic burdens I interpreted it as you meaning we are genetically flawed. If misfit is a term that can't be used in this context, blame it on my less than perfect knowledge of English.
Sorry I jumped the gun and assumed wrong. You don't put words in my mouth; I should have not assumed you meant to.

Just as an explanation - and this may be purely an English language thing, I don't know - if you would have just left it as a question ("So are you saying we're all genetic misfits?"), I wouldn't have assumed you meant that I meant that. But when you added "That's interesting", it seemed that you were definitely making that conclusion, instead of just asking me a question. I don't know if that makes sense, but that was how my reasoning worked. Just as an interesting language thing, the last sentence made a big difference in my interpretation. I'm rambling now, but language is interesting, isn't it? But I should have known better because I know how you are - sorry

Old 02-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #670
Rían

And as far as birth control, Gwai and I had some major discussions on this - I don't believe that birth control is wrong at ALL - in fact, I think it's called for in some situations - as long as it's not abortive. IOW, any barrier method is fine, IMO.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:43 PM   #671
Janny
The Blobbit

Yeah, as a pragmatic Catholic (oxymoron?), I'm unsure of whether I will use contraceptives, but I hope I will never abort a child. So in short I agree with Rian. St. Thomas Aquinas spoke of 'not spilling the seed' but this is not actually, as far as I know, explicitly in scripture, not sure if it was an issue in Biblical times. So long as it's used in a loving marriage (oh! Did I not mention that? ) Then I think it's okay.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #672
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Sorry I jumped the gun and assumed wrong. You don't put words in my mouth; I should have not assumed you meant to.

Just as an explanation - and this may be purely an English language thing, I don't know - if you would have just left it as a question ("So are you saying we're all genetic misfits?"), I wouldn't have assumed you meant that I meant that. But when you added "That's interesting", it seemed that you were definitely making that conclusion, instead of just asking me a question. I don't know if that makes sense, but that was how my reasoning worked. Just as an interesting language thing, the last sentence made a big difference in my interpretation. I'm rambling now, but language is interesting, isn't it? But I should have known better because I know how you are - sorry
No worries, all water under the bridge now. The "That's interesting." was more my reaction to the idea [of us possibly being all genetic misfits] than a conclusion of what you were thinking. I'll try and keep it in mind next time.

And I don't think you'll get such an imaginative apology as your example from BoP . With luck, you'll still be wearing your own pants before morning. So could you elaborate a little more on the genetic burden? Please?
Old 02-28-2004, 06:47 PM   #673
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't know what this has to do with religion, but I believe the genetic burden could refer to how parts of our DNA contain redundant or useless genetic code. Is that what you meant?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake†thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #674
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I don't know what this has to do with religion, but I believe the genetic burden could refer to how parts of our DNA contain redundant or useless genetic code. Is that what you meant?
if so how is that a genetic burden?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #675
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nurv does have a point, we're getting off topic. How about we move the discussion about this genetic burden to the thread about creationism that is bound to float around here somewhere? This is more at its place there, I think.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:18 PM   #676
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
And I don't think you'll get such an imaginative apology as your example from BoP . With luck, you'll still be wearing your own pants before morning. So could you elaborate a little more on the genetic burden? Please?
hummph! She's no fun! I suppose I'll just have to fake-quote her to get a good one (C'mon, Bop, give me a good 'un, just for fun!)

I'll elaborate more next week - don't like to do too much "work" on Sundays

Also, I'll actually be visiting the Creation Research Institute in a week or so, with my son's 7th grade science class. I've talked to people there, but have never been there - should be interesting. I have some questions to ask that I got from you guys

Old 02-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #677
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
St. Thomas Aquinas spoke of 'not spilling the seed' but this is not actually, as far as I know, explicitly in scripture, not sure if it was an issue in Biblical times.
But in the "spilling the seed" incident, which is in Genesis 38, it's CLEAR that Onan "spilled his seed" in order to not give offspring to his dead brother's line, and that's why God killed him, in addition to his brother, who was evil. It's not a matter of birth control. Onan "knew that the offspring would not be his", so he did that "in order not to give offspring to his brother." They must have hated each other for Onan to do this.

Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #678
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
But in the "spilling the seed" incident, which is in Genesis 38, it's CLEAR that Onan "spilled his seed" in order to not give offspring to his dead brother's line, and that's why God killed him, in addition to his brother, who was evil. It's not a matter of birth control. Onan "knew that the offspring would not be his", so he did that "in order not to give offspring to his brother." They must have hated each other for Onan to do this.
Whoa! I'm a little confused about this post... in my own words... are you saying that...
Onan jerked off so that he couldn't have sex with his dead brother's wife, so there would be no heir for his brother? eh?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #679
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Eww....

Anyway, I have a question for anyone who doesn't believe in (any) God. (I guess that means atheists, what's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic?)

What is your personal belief on the creation/initial formation of the universe, and life? I'm curious.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2004, 02:45 AM   #680
Drgnslyer
Elven Warrior

This whole not spilling the seed really makes me think of monty python for some reason.....:P

I can see where that belief would be founded from, but to be completely honest I don't see where that same belief can be held, especially given the current times.

I agree Nurv, getting pure non-believers opinion on creation myths and theroys...

*prepares for an intensely scientific reply*

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.

You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims.

The Utopian Oldschool Champ.
http://games.swirve.com/utopia
www.Orderofavalon.com
Closed Thread