Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #641
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It's great to hear that function is returning to the foot, RÃ*an! Now I keep my fingers crossed that you'll be able to keep the pain in check too.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #642
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I might have to reread the game. I can't remember what the hell we were doing lol.
Probably just rereading, or skimming, the last two or three pages would suffice. We're doing a council after all, so our characters have been discussing a lot of what needs to happen, and what direction the RPG is going.

Hey, I'm back!

I guess we probably should move this chat to the Atharon discussion thread . . .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 06-21-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #643
Mari
Elf Lady

I'm up and getting emotionally ready to continue working on my Personal Development Plan, which is kinda pointless, since I will leave this course after getting my diploma and thus won't have to develop myself in this direction any further. Of course it IS going to take at least another day to get it all done, which makes it a total of 3~4 days. *sigh*

Tea anyone?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #644
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Sorry to hear that, Mari, sounds like a drag
Want me to make you some tea?
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 06-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #645
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I'm about to drop even more money. Boo .

I have to get a Pirates score, an acting with an accent program (so I can talk gooder in British), and then I think I may need to get some new black and tan slacks. I need something I can wear that isn't as delicate as my nice wool pants.
Sounds fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
Probably just rereading, or skimming, the last two or three pages would suffice. We're doing a council after all, so our characters have been discussing a lot of what needs to happen, and what direction the RPG is going.

Hey, I'm back!

I guess we probably should move this chat to the Atharon discussion thread . . .
Yeah...

Hi everyone!

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #646
Mari
Elf Lady

Awww, thanks Link! I finished that PDP thingy, but didn't really get around to studying for my topography test. *sigh*
School is almost over, school is almost over, school is almost over! >_< *keeps repeating that mantra*

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #647
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I used to be so set on Nursing, because I knew it would guarantee me a job after college, and money (of course). However, now that college is seeming more like a reality, I'm scared of getting into something I won't fall in love with and enjoy. I like how nursing is very flexible, how there are a bunch of different kinds, and they need them everywhere, but I don't think my heart is set on that.

I've always been very interested in Astronomy, but I have no idea where I could take that - and I'm not the best at math. I guess that will always remain a hobby.

But, after some research, I've become very interested in the idea of majoring in Anthropology. Humans always fascinate me , but really, I've always loved anthropolgy. After college I could possibly take on archaeology as a career. Which involves travel & history - two things I love very, very much.

It all seems overwhelming to me - I need a long ass trip to Never Never Land...

twitter

Last edited by shesabrandybuck : 06-25-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #648
Mari
Elf Lady

Anthropology and archeology is not the same though?
A few friends of mine studied anthropology and they say the career prospects aren't great. Three of them are now working on getting an educational degree so they can teach.
I don't want to discourage you, because if this is what you want, you should do it, but do look into concrete career possibilities and don't fall for the trap I fell for: "Oh, you can get work at some company in some undefined job after graduating... probably."

Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #649
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Anthropology and archeology is not the same though?
It's not, although they can overlap. Anthropology is the study of humanity, past and present; archaeology is the study of past cultures, artefacts and people.

My sister is an archaeologist, but it isn't her day-job (archaeology doesn't exactly pays any bills). Not many archaeologists are able to work in the field after their studies, so it's not a great carreer move unless you absolutely love it. If you want to continue going on digs after graduating, your chances will mostly depend if you managed to build good contacts with universities that control most excavations.

Although I have heard American universities have much more money to burn on their excavations, so you might get lucky. The majority of digs my sister has been able to go to, have been unpaid and pretty brutal in terms of living and work conditions.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #650
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Hi all!

I havent been around all that much of late. Found it kind of hard to post anything of interest to you all. Perhaps I can rediscover the enthusiasm I had then I joined this forum. I sure hope so. See you. Have a nice day!

Best GW

Update on my homepage:

Added photos from a visit to a castle and to an island off the nw peninsula of Scania. Come in and have a look. Ive also added a Photo Archive which now houses the links to the first 40 albums divided into two indexes.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #651
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

My parents talked me out of it...

twitter
Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #652
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You need to do what your heart desires, WITHIN REASON .

I absolutely can't live without singing. I want desperately to be a professional singer... but so do ten thousand other guys who are either better singers or have better connections. So my compromise is that I'm getting an education degree.

I'll try being a performer... if that falls flat and I can't get cast in a single role, I'll be able to (hopefully!) become a choir director. Not my first love, but something I think I'd enjoy and might be good at.

If I were you, I'd try talking to people (adults ) about their jobs and see if anything sounds interesting to you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #653
Pip
Elven Warrior

I have a friend who's a teacher, but he started out wanting to be an archaeologist. A couple of things kinda pushed him from that. The first one was that he said the first day the class was told in no uncertain terms "archaeology is NOT Indiana Jones". Then I guess he got to go do a dig once and was bored out of his mind. It's quite funny to listen to his stories.
America, what will we miss while we are sleeping/Will Jesus come again and leave us slumbering where we lay/America, will we go down in history/As the nation with no room for it's King/Will we be sleeping?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #654
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

If the 'moot seems less laggy, I just went into my inbox and deleted about seven years worth of PMs.

You're welcome.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #655
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesabrandybuck View Post
My parents talked me out of it...
Well, there's no reason why you can't keep it as a hobby, if it still interests you. My sister has told me of amateur-archaeologists she met that knew their stuff better than some of the tenured professors.

"Archaeology is NOT Indiana Jones." Hehe, that seems the standard phrase for first archaeology classes everywhere.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #656
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

History is one of my favourite subjects - especially ancient peoples, their customs and cultures.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #657
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Just for fun XV

"Mother Goose, Mother Goose, this is Maverick - tighten formation and try to keep up!"
Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #658
Mari
Elf Lady

Link, did you try taking an interest-test? Or talk to your dean or something?
And as the others said: you should do what you want to do, but do consider the later career options.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #659
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I know it's a bit soon, since there are still two months left till classes start, but I'm already getting kind of excited for next semester.

I made a commitment, starting last semester, to begin doing well in school. I kept it last semester, getting a 3.6 GPA for that semester... which is not impressive of itself, but it's very good considering my previous GPAs. I got into good study habits, I stayed more on top of notes and stuff than I ever had before...

So next semester I'm going to try to do even better. I know I can do a better job of keeping track of my notes and organizing stuff... so I'm already planning .

Not to mention the operetta next semester!! That's so exciting . The run will be right around my birthday: October 2nd-10th, and my birthday is October 6th. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and it will be an enjoyable learning process. It will be a learning process either way.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to put together a binder in a way that will help me keep my info for next semester organized. I think I may try to make my own day planner as well to stick in the back of the binder... I think it'd be more convenient than trying to find one like I'm looking for. Cheaper too. O_o
Old 06-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #660
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

We're doing all right. I've just been too lazy to write here.

Link, there's propably very little I can say about career choices, as I only ever had two serious ones: teacher, and after abandoning that, a designer. I'm so stubborn, I never had to panic like "OMG whatdoIwanttodo". One profession, that's it. XD

But what I can say (is propably said already) is that (since you seem younger than me [ ], so) take your time to think it over, travel a bit if possible, learn a new language, ...stuff. ...I just thought of a holiday guide!: you'd get to travel, and you would have the chance of studying the history of the countries (mandatory ). How about that?

EDIT: Anyone like to solve the first line of my siggy...?

Last edited by Noble Elf Lord : 06-27-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: ;)
Closed Thread