Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #641
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Heh, I know where he's coming from Rian .

My mom sings some times, and her voice is very weak, and her entire vocal range is one octave, but I think she sounds just like Enya. My family can't figure out why I like her singing so much since I critique myself and everyone else's voices so much . I just can't explain it. It's a son thing, I guess.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #642
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Happy! Today my mom's godmother came and gave us, well, very-early-Christmas-presents cuz she won't be here during the holidays... She usually gives money to me and my bro, just as she did this time; and when she left and I looked into the envelope I got, I almost fainted. She has given us much more than we usually get so, no worries about money for December, including the Christmas present-shopping; and... *fingers crossed* maybe I can present myself with some BOOKs. Yay, happy
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #643
Mercutio

Two-hour meeting at school canceled

sigh of relief

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #644
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's sweet, Tessar!

Try looking again, Spock - it's right behind my head - the top wooden piece is in the top left of the picture, the right side of my hair is almost in the middle of the strings - you should be able to see the triangle that the strings form. The slightly shiny part on the top wooden piece are all the levers that are applied to sharp the strings up a half-step to get to different keys.

Rian (with her harp and her hubby and his .22!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #645
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

If you say so. Looks like the right side of your head is next to a grey pillow with maroon boarders. I see the shiny thingies.....and take your word for it. mutters to himself and goes off looking for chocolate
Old 11-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #646
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

LOL! I guess it does rather look like a grey pillow with a maroon border! The wood has reddish tones to it. Well, the harp is at an odd angle, that's prob. why it's hard to recognize, but that IS it. I'll try to get another pic of me up on the thread playing my harp - that would be fun

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM   #647
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I can see the harp. Very cool. Those 'maroon borders' you're seeing Spock look very wooden to me.

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-30-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #648
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Here we are. Maybe this detailed diagram will help .
Old 12-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #649
Rían

LOL! Good one, Tessar!

The arrowhead for "wood" is touching the levers on the wood, and you can barely see that some levers are up and some down. The arrowhead for strings needs to be moved over a bit to the right; the strings are actually the light-ish part (you can see the white wall thru them) - they are where the "OD" of "WOOD" is.

I love your "Not the harp" arrow!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #650
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thanks for the help Tessar, it still looks like a pillow; must be the red filter
Old 12-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #651
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
LOL! Good one, Tessar!
The arrowhead for strings needs to be moved over a bit to the right; the strings are actually the light-ish part (you can see the white wall thru them) - they are where the "OD" of "WOOD" is.
Are you sure? I can see the strings where my arrow is, too. They're just not quite as visible as they are contrasted against the white background.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #652
Rían

The strings are attached to the middle of the sound board, so there would be just a bit of string over the wood from that angle, but the main part of the strings is the white area.

Last edited by Rían : 12-02-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #653
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Wow. Beautiful harp, RÃ*an.

Happy: yesterday we went to the theatre, to see a comedy/detective story (is there a word combining these two categories? ahem...), and it was great not only because of the actors, but because the audience could join the investigation by asking questions. And when the questioning ended, we were asked to vote whom do we suspect. And they acted out the end according to that - who was the most suspicious according to the audience, he/she turned out to be the murderer. Unusual, but absolutely great, IMO.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #654
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Sounds interesting. How was the audience participation managed? Did people raise hands, and get pointed to, like in college classes?

Tessar, I'm afraid your "not the harp" arrow isn't quite enough. Maybe you should draw a red outline around RÃ*an to separate her from the harp . . .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 AM   #655
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Sounds interesting. How was the audience participation managed? Did people raise hands, and get pointed to, like in college classes?
Well, basically, yes.
Hrm, now, more seriously. In the first part, when the detective arrived, he asked the four suspected people to re-enact what they had been doing; and also asked the audience to join in as "witnesses". For example, when they tried to conceal something, we could say "It wasn't so" and things like that. The actor who played the detective had to handle the whole thing, by pointing, or when more people were talking at once, chosing one to speak.

Afterwards, in the break, we could discuss things with him, outside in the hall. Then when we came & sat back, the questioning began, in the same manner (pointing-asking-answering), and then the voting; and then the lights above the audience were turned off, indicating that from now on it's only the actor's business again; and they acted out the final scene.

Last edited by littleadanel : 12-02-2005 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 AM   #656
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That sounds very fun .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #657
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...I think Tessar is trying to "gaslight" me.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #658
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
That sounds very fun .
Lotsa fun, I really enjoyed it. First, it was a comedy; and then this unusual acting. Great experience.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #659
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
...I think Tessar is trying to "gaslight" me.

It's nothing like that . I just saw your thing about the pillow, and an old comic strip popped into my head where, every time someone thought an item was something other than what it -really- was, the author would go back and draw circles around the item with a little sign saying, "Ain't no [item-name]!"... so it just sort of reminded me of that.

Plus I wanted to do the 'not the harp' arrow .
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #660
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Closed Thread