Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #641
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
It is reasonable to expect that this viewpoint discrimination will necessarily have the effect of causing students to reach an uninformed, but “reasoned” decision that they, and all other human beings, are merely natural occurrences, accidents of nature that lack intrinsic purpose.
i find this statement from his proposed changes interesting too... whether we are "accidents of nature" or "intelligently designed" has absolutely nothing to do with whether we have "intrinsic purpose"... even if we assume their is an "intelligent designer", this does not mean that we were designed for a purpose... and it certainly does not automatically give us "intrinsic" purpose

those who prefer intelligent design would like to think we were designed for a purpose (preferable a good one ) ... but this is just as much an individual decision as is my own to just take purpose out of existance itself... it's "bad science" implying such a purpose without proof (or even a guess) at what this purpose is
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #642
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
It is reasonable to expect that this viewpoint discrimination will necessarily have the effect of causing students to reach an uninformed, but “reasoned” decision that they, and all other human beings, are merely natural occurrences, accidents of nature that lack intrinsic purpose.
i find this statement from his proposed changes interesting too... whether we are "accidents of nature" or "intelligently designed" has absolutely nothing to do with whether we have "intrinsic purpose"... even if we assume their is an "intelligent designer", this does not mean that we were designed for a purpose... and it certainly does not automatically give us "intrinsic" purpose

those who prefer intelligent design would like to think we were designed for a purpose (preferable a good one ) ... but this is just as much an individual decision as is my own to just take purpose out of existance itself... it's "bad science" implying such a purpose without proof (or even a guess) at what this purpose is
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #643
Acran Mern

I'd be more than willing to discuss/debate the finer scientific points, but it'd probably make boring reading for most...Suggest new thread?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #644
Acran Mern

I'd be more than willing to discuss/debate the finer scientific points, but it'd probably make boring reading for most...Suggest new thread?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #645
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually since you're talking evolution and how it's taught-whether in Kansas or Oz, it wouldn't necessarily be a new thread. Try keeping it here for now.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #646
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually since you're talking evolution and how it's taught-whether in Kansas or Oz, it wouldn't necessarily be a new thread. Try keeping it here for now.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #647
Acran Mern

I was just trying to give respect to Rian who started the thread to discuss a specific issue, but ok...

Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #648
Acran Mern

I was just trying to give respect to Rian who started the thread to discuss a specific issue, but ok...

Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #649
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Heres the problem:

The religious folk dont want to approach this in the same way as any other scientific subject is approached when we dont have all the data or when something new is discovered. They simply want to poke holes in it at all costs from everything Ive seen. You already CAN propose scientific issues/problems/questions/apparent inconsistencies about ANY scientific topic. Thats how it works. This is nothing new. But the anti-evolution folks only focus on evolution. And they ONLY focus on teaching that horrible ungodly theory to our innocent children!! The horror! So the agenda becomes clear. Why not be consistent then and just use the same routes to change as everyone else. Yes you may get some serious lumps at first but if your data and evidence is good youll win in the end. You don’t need trickery or lies or political strong arming to do it. Just good quality reproducible data. Why take over school boards to force teaching "mistakes" of evolution to kiddies?

So far we have had:

TACTIC I
Creationist: Evolution is wrong! We propose Creationism.
Scientist: Well Wheres yer evidence?
Creationist: Um well there is none. Its just evolution seems so ridiculous to us so IT MUST BE WRONG! Which means it must be god that created everything.
Scientist: Sorry youll need evidence to propose a new theory.

TACTIC II
Creationist: Evolution is wrong! We propose Intelligent Design
Scientist: Well wheres yer evidence...
Creationist: Well weve found some problems and inconsistencies with evolution.
Scientist: Many of those have been debunked when you presented them for creationism. And anyway they dont amount to evidence FOR anything. Do you have anything else?
Creationist: Well no... But evolution still seems too ridiculous to us so IT STILL MUST BE WRONG! Which means it must be that a *ahem* unnamed creator made everything...
Scientist: Sorry youll need EVIDENCE to propose a new theory.

TACTIC III
Creationist: Ok Im not here to propose anything just want to teach your kids how evolution is all wrong.
Scientist: You know Im beginning to smell a rat here… Why pick solely on evolution? We don’t do this for any other science. We teach what we currently know. We ALSO ALREADY teach inconsistencies and point out what we DON’T know about evolution in the classroom. Science never claimed to have 100% of the answers in this field. So what is it you want to add to this exactly… What REALLY is your agenda here…

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #650
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Heres the problem:

The religious folk dont want to approach this in the same way as any other scientific subject is approached when we dont have all the data or when something new is discovered. They simply want to poke holes in it at all costs from everything Ive seen. You already CAN propose scientific issues/problems/questions/apparent inconsistencies about ANY scientific topic. Thats how it works. This is nothing new. But the anti-evolution folks only focus on evolution. And they ONLY focus on teaching that horrible ungodly theory to our innocent children!! The horror! So the agenda becomes clear. Why not be consistent then and just use the same routes to change as everyone else. Yes you may get some serious lumps at first but if your data and evidence is good youll win in the end. You don’t need trickery or lies or political strong arming to do it. Just good quality reproducible data. Why take over school boards to force teaching "mistakes" of evolution to kiddies?

So far we have had:

TACTIC I
Creationist: Evolution is wrong! We propose Creationism.
Scientist: Well Wheres yer evidence?
Creationist: Um well there is none. Its just evolution seems so ridiculous to us so IT MUST BE WRONG! Which means it must be god that created everything.
Scientist: Sorry youll need evidence to propose a new theory.

TACTIC II
Creationist: Evolution is wrong! We propose Intelligent Design
Scientist: Well wheres yer evidence...
Creationist: Well weve found some problems and inconsistencies with evolution.
Scientist: Many of those have been debunked when you presented them for creationism. And anyway they dont amount to evidence FOR anything. Do you have anything else?
Creationist: Well no... But evolution still seems too ridiculous to us so IT STILL MUST BE WRONG! Which means it must be that a *ahem* unnamed creator made everything...
Scientist: Sorry youll need EVIDENCE to propose a new theory.

TACTIC III
Creationist: Ok Im not here to propose anything just want to teach your kids how evolution is all wrong.
Scientist: You know Im beginning to smell a rat here… Why pick solely on evolution? We don’t do this for any other science. We teach what we currently know. We ALSO ALREADY teach inconsistencies and point out what we DON’T know about evolution in the classroom. Science never claimed to have 100% of the answers in this field. So what is it you want to add to this exactly… What REALLY is your agenda here…

Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #651
Acran Mern

Your analysis of creationist thinking is amusing if nothing else. As I previously posted, I am more than willing to discuss the finer scientific points. If, however, you feel I'm just going to poke holes in your theory (and we can't have that), go ahead and try to poke holes in mine

Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #652
Acran Mern

Your analysis of creationist thinking is amusing if nothing else. As I previously posted, I am more than willing to discuss the finer scientific points. If, however, you feel I'm just going to poke holes in your theory (and we can't have that), go ahead and try to poke holes in mine

Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #653
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Im all for learning the finer "scientific" points of creationism. Theres a thread around called EVIDENCE FOR CREATIONISM or some such. You could have a go at it in there if you like.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #654
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Im all for learning the finer "scientific" points of creationism. Theres a thread around called EVIDENCE FOR CREATIONISM or some such. You could have a go at it in there if you like.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 PM   #655
Acran Mern

This thread, IR?

Just opening up discussion again since this topic came up on the Kansas Debate Thread. Fire away

Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #656
Acran Mern

*chuckle* I'd prefer a more neutral thread but that's fine too.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #657
Acran Mern

*chuckle* I'd prefer a more neutral thread but that's fine too.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #658
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

yep, I could merge the two if you think that would help or if you prefer to keep them separate thats ok too.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #659
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I see you found the other thread. Now we decide whether to merge or not.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #660
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I see you found the other thread. Now we decide whether to merge or not.
Closed Thread