Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #621
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

This morning after my shower, I tried flexing to see if my workouts have done any good yet, and OMG!!! ^_^ I actually saw some defined muscles!!!! HOORAY!!! This is the third week of workouts, and things are going soooooo well. I'm working out by myself a few days a week, but on T/Th I work out with a friend who is trying to lose weight. We were already doing cardio exercise last semester, but this semester we're adding weights.

We do cardio for 20 minutes, then abs. We started at two sets of ten sit-ups, and we've been adding them up slowly. Officially we're up to 13, but today I moved up to three sets... I did two at thirteen, and one at 15 situps. Then I do two sets of ten 'roman chair' knee lifts. I'm also trying to do chin-ups... first day I barely did one, now I'm doing two... and today I got about... eh... two and a half? It's pretty wussy, but I'm workin' on it.

I'm so excited that it's working!!!!! Maybe I wont be scrawny for my entire life .

I also had a great voice lesson, so yay!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #622
katya
Elven Maiden

You've got me beat, at least. I've never been able to do a pull-up. Great job! Keep it up!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #623
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I've arranged a trip to Amsterdam for me and six friends for a few days this Easter. I found cheap airline tickets and I also got my hands on a flat near the city centre that we can rent for our stay for a reasonable price. Breakfast's included, even!
My friends are pleased

I also passed my recent exam, which means there's nothing preventing me from accepting the offer of a physician assistant job (my first ever) this summer! It's going to be fun and the pay will great
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #624
Mari
Elf Lady

Good news!
Congrats on passing the exam!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #625
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

I'm happy today.

I don't know why. I just am.

(LOL, the dreaded posting rule...ok, I'll write some more - I might be happy because I got 13 books for £1 today (£1 total, not each). I love library sales.)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #626
katya
Elven Maiden

I got a copy of Brothers Karamazov in Russian at my last library sale for 50 cents. Still kinda happy about that. I love books.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #627
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Do you read Russian?

My Russian is waaaay too rusty to actually attempt reading nineteenth-century novels. I have to rely on the Pevear/Volokhonsky translations.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #628
katya
Elven Maiden

No, but that's my goal (and I am actually working on it). I read their translations also. Brothers Karamavoz is my favorite book, and I read so much Russian lit I thought it would be good to be able to read the originals.

When I read "Demons" I kept wanting to call Verkovensky Volokhonsky.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #629
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The grocery store rocks .

I just slip on my iPod and listen to some soothing opera music while getting tons and tons of healthy food! Everyone at the grocery store smiles back at you, and pretty much everyone is so polite...

Even my dad is getting into the healthy food spirit. He is on another weight loss kick, so I think the only 'bad' stuff I got was his diet soda, and I tried to get him lots of healthy snacks. So yay healthy food!!!

It's such a blessing to be able to not have to worry about the cost because my parents are okay with the amount I spend. I think I'm actually spending less than they were, but I don't know that 100% for sure. Either way, it's a very good feeling to have food .
Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #630
katya
Elven Maiden

I think if you buy good quality food, you need less. Like if you eat $1 a loaf white bread with no nutritional value in it, you'll have to eat a lot. And, I've heard (would like to research more) that if you always eat crappy food, your body starts to shut down and has a harder time digesting. So eating good food is definitely economical, as well as healthy.

(is currently eating left-over chocolate frosting with a spoon..... )
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #631
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yeah, I have to be careful though. I'm doing some simi-intense weight lifting, and the other day I started getting shaky and light headed. Apparently I wasn't eating enough, and what I was eating was too much salad and what-not to power my body... I had to cook up some hamburgers and potatoes, and then after I ate that I felt completely better. I need to balance my fruit/veggy vs. protein intake better.

The rest of my family isn't working out though, so the salad stuff is great for them .
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #632
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah I make sure to eat a lot of carbs and protein when I work out (finally getting back into it after the accident!) and not to eat to much when I'm not working out. I think it's really important not to starve yourself- not to let yourself get really hungry, because that messes with your metabolism too. When I'm running every morning, I eat breakfast, but I have to bring a lot of food to work because I'll be starving by the time lunch rolls around.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #633
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
When I'm running every morning, I eat breakfast, but I have to bring a lot of food to work because I'll be starving by the time lunch rolls around.
No kidding. Today I did a half hour on the eliptical before doing my weights, and after the entire workout was done I ended up eating a ton of almonds, an apple, a bunch of corn chips, a heap of scrambled eggs with hamsteak, and a bowl of oatmeal... and frankly I could still eat more. Dang, this working out stuff makes my stomach like a bottomless pit.

I did have a super awesome workout today though . I'm getting to really, really enjoy working out rather than it being a chore.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #634
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OMG!!!! YOU GUYS!!!!! O_O

I just flexed in the mirror and I TOTALLY SAW SOME AWESOME MUSCLES!!! My biceps are actually notably bigger, I think my forearm is a little thicker, my pectorals have definition (they used to not even have definition if I would flex), and my abs are starting to pop. I think my shoulders are a little wider too.

THIS IS SUPER AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not be happier right now! I can't believe my muscles have grown so much in just three and a half weeks! O_o I figured it would take another month before I started to notice any sort of difference at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #635
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh Tessar, I have no arm muscles. After I first hurt my hand I stopped doing anything because it was too difficult/painful and now I have to get back to where I was all over again. I went to yoga Saturday and she had us do warrior 2 for like FOREVER. My arms almost died from it, especially the side with the cast. I'm going again today though and I'm starting running again. It's motivating that you're out there too, doin' your best.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #636
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Good on you Tessar! You'll be a Schwarzenegger or a Van Damme in no time

Seriously though, seeing notable changes in less than a month of lifting weights, will be a great boost for motivation.
As for my own humble training, my muscles seem to be gaining strength so slowly that I don't notice any difference at all. Oh well
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #637
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Good on you Tessar! You'll be a Schwarzenegger or a Van Damme in no time
Haha, I'm not sure I want to be THAT big. O_o I just want to be totally hot. Like... hot enough that opera directors will go, "Look at how hot he is. We should hire him because he oozes manly sexuality on stage with his enormous muscles and rich baritonal voice!"

Quote:
Seriously though, seeing notable changes in less than a month of lifting weights, will be a great boost for motivation.
As for my own humble training, my muscles seem to be gaining strength so slowly that I don't notice any difference at all. Oh well
Hang in there. I was surprised to see progress because I've barely raised my weight at all... in fact I think I'm only doing dumbbells that are about 3lb heavier than I started with. I do a set of 8 at a low weight, then a set of six at a moderately heavy weight, then I try to pick a weight that I can juuuust barely eek out six reps with, then I do the same thing again with a different exercise. I guess I do about two/three exercises per body area (something like two for bicep, three for shoulders, two for back, etc.). Then I'm doing about four days rest between exercising the muscles... supposedly doing 4 days to a week of rest helps build muscle mass.

Quote:
Oh Tessar, I have no arm muscles. After I first hurt my hand I stopped doing anything because it was too difficult/painful and now I have to get back to where I was all over again. I went to yoga Saturday and she had us do warrior 2 for like FOREVER. My arms almost died from it, especially the side with the cast. I'm going again today though and I'm starting running again. It's motivating that you're out there too, doin' your best.

Warrior 2 is super killer. Urgh. It's motivating for me too to know that you and Jonathan are working out .
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #638
katya
Elven Maiden

I like warrior 2 and trikonasana (?) a lot, but it was toooo looong after not working out at all. Oh and please don't become like Schwarzenegger. I think that's so ugly. :s Then again I like scrawny, feminine guys. I think a natural-looking, strong, thin physique is great though.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #639
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
No, but that's my goal (and I am actually working on it). I read their translations also. Brothers Karamavoz is my favorite book, and I read so much Russian lit I thought it would be good to be able to read the originals.

When I read "Demons" I kept wanting to call Verkovensky Volokhonsky.
I'm assuming that's a character? In which case, it makes me wonder when you start the shape the story in the image of the translator...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 01-25-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #640
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Haha, I'm not sure I want to be THAT big. O_o I just want to be totally hot. Like... hot enough that opera directors will go, "Look at how hot he is. We should hire him because he oozes manly sexuality on stage with his enormous muscles and rich baritonal voice!"
I see . . . you want to be Billy Budd.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread