Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #621
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I'm taking a course in Copenhagen, Denmark again.. A PhD course, again.. Although I'm still working on my master's and haven't even thought about a PhD yet. XD That's not what I want to vent about, though.

It's the course arrangements. We're supposed to write an essay, prepare a presentation about some articles, be opponents (and prepare for that) and make our own presentation about our research. It's all alright, it's just that there are 17 days left before the course, and we haven't got any information about topics, articles etc. yet. Today we received an email saying that we won't get the topic for the essay until five days before it's due, because "we want all students to put the same amount of effort in- if we told you the title now the danger would be the some would spend 18 days and others less", which is the most stupid explanation they could've come up with! I'm a master's student, and I have other deadlines and other courses during those five days; imagine what a PhD student has! The chance of someone actually spending 18 days on writing that essay is insignificant. The only thing a stupid arrangement like that does, is that it makes sure everyone is stressed about it: probably not equally stressed, but stressed nevertheless. Meh. I sent a rant about it to the people who're arranging it too, hopefully they change their minds..

And after reading that and being stunned by amazement of the stupidity, I read this:
"The boys stay in the Youth Hostel and the girls get the University rooms..because the youth hostel is further away."
.. What? First of all, the 'girl/boy' grouping itself is something I thought would disappear after junior high. Obviously, I've been too optimistic. And if I try to ignore that, what are they trying to explain? Not the division of people based on "genders", no but why the 'boys' get to live in the youth hostel: and the explanation doesn't explain anything. The youth hostel is further away? What? I don't get it. I probably don't want to get it.
I don't mind where I live, was it a youth hostel or the university rooms, I don't mind with whom I share a room, I don't care who they are, what they are and where they're from. I just wish the arrangers weren't so obviously stuck in some kind of illusion where people are divided based on their gametes..

*sigh* I'm done now.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #622
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n3776580.shtml
This really ticks me off beyond words and to tears. The image of this 29 year old Marine that was a robust platoon leader whittled down to skin and bones due to a cancer that was found in 97 and was never told he had it really touches my heart. I pray this report gets the ball rolling to things changing

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #623
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

So, we were having a meeting for a singing organization we're trying to start a chapter of at my university. It was five of us students and then two of the voice teachers, and we were in my voice teacher's office. The meeting started at 1:30, and we had opera rehearsal at 2 p.m.

The meeting ran later than we had planned for it to, and no one kept an eye on the clock. Well, at 2:15 the guy who directs the operas at our school (although he isn't actually at the rehearsals we're running right now) comes bursting in and says, "I don't know what's going on here, but I want to know why half my chorus is in here instead of at rehearsal."

Only four of us are actually in the chorus, and it's three basses and one soprano. My GOD, there are like 6 other basses and tons of sopranos. I'm sure they could struggle along without us. Then when we all start picking up our things and we're trying to finalize some things as we're walking out the door, he sticks his head in again and says, "Um, quickly. Did I not mention that you're all 15 minutes late? You -do- have rehearsal."

ARGH. I was ready to slap that bastard. No one likes him, actually. I have heard every member of the main cast talk some serious dirt about him, and no one in the chorus likes him either. My voice teacher and the other voice teacher looked pretty pissed off too.

It wasn't so much what he said, it was the way he said it. He obviously has no regard for any of us students, and I've rarely seen him be very polite to anyone who's a student... even his own voice students dislike him.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #624
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Sorry, Tessar. People can be idiots.

WHICH brings me to my vent, which is that I wish this darned election was over RIGHT NOW!

Crazy people constantly call me.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #625
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I was asked to audition for two tenor solos. Ack! They're an absolute mess right now... I'm cracking and missing pitches everywhere because they hang out up in my head voice so much.

Last semester I wouldn't have been able to sing them at all because I was having to pull up my chest voice for those notes, but even now... I'm not comfortable enough in my head voice to just hang out up there. It's not that the notes are uber high or anything, but it hangs out between the Middle C and F4 a lot, which is pretty high for me!

I only have a week and a half to learn them and figure out how to not suck on 'em. Plus the two Bass solos I'm hoping to also try out for. I think the director is hoping that I can sing the tenor solos because I can sing louder than any of the tenors we have right now. Don't get me wrong, we have some great tenors, but they're not very loud.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #626
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, at least you are appreciated and wanted, that should be a consolation! And good for your ego
Good luck with the practising!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 02-03-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #627
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Psst...it's "consolation"...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #628
Mari
Elf Lady

...Thank you...I corrected it...

Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #629
Mari
Elf Lady

It's official: my seedlings in the garden are beyond rescue. I knew it would go below 0 Celsius again!
Sigh. At least I managed to keep the ones in pots alive. >_<

Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #630
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

The Patriots lost..... *sob, sniff* I'm such an awful loser. Darn that snot-nosed Eli Manning!!!!
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #631
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I don't enjoy watching football, but every year my dad makes me watch the Superbowl. By far the best part was the Prince Caspian preview.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #632
Mari
Elf Lady

Ugh, I'm sick... oh well, at least I can talk again, more or less...

Old 02-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #633
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I'm tired of being so cranky.

Honestly. I KNOW that most of the people who email me inviting me to participate in things are being nice, according to their lights. So I want to stop reacting as if they KNOW they're stupid and are just trying to make me miserable.

I'm doing a fine job of that, all on my own.

It's just... it makes me feel isolated, knowing that people have such a small understanding of me that they don't realize I won't have a good time at these things. Like, if I have $100 for an overnight, why would I spend it on a lumpy cot at the nature center instead of at a nice hotel? Or pitch a tent in actual wilds? For free?

I resolve to concentrate on how nice it is that people are trying to share with me.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 02-07-2008, 01:55 AM   #634
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Having a physical and mental break down...cant handle the stress, but it's not really much of a load when compared to others... Driving me mad and making me sick, have lost naer two pounds in three days.

The Amazing (and evil) Power of Parents.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 AM   #635
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Are you back in touch with your father?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 AM   #636
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
Today we received an email saying that we won't get the topic for the essay until five days before it's due, because "we want all students to put the same amount of effort in- if we told you the title now the danger would be the some would spend 18 days and others less", which is the most stupid explanation they could've come up with!
That is absoLUTEly unbelievable!! Like it's BAD to put time in? "Hey, we gotta protect the bad students from those darn good students that actually put in time and effort not at the last minute!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #637
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I think I'll choose the former.

Preaching your funeral - Heath Ledger

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #638
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I have the flu, it looks like.

I'm still on the antibiotics, but on Wednesday I started feeling really terrible around 1:30, but I stuck it out till 3:30 so I could go to choir and then I was barely able to drive myself home. Turns out I was walking around (and singing) with a 103+ degree fever.

Wednesday evening was pretty rotten, then I went in for my voice lesson on Thursday because I didn't want to skip that and I was fine till about 6 p.m. when my temp went back up to 103+ again. This time it took about five hours of icing me down till it dropped to 101.4, but by then I was falling asleep and my parents both had to go to bed because it was almost midnight.

No fever this morning, but I'm quarantined till next Monday at least.

Yesterday I missed a music test, today I'm going to miss a choir memorization test, a sight-singing test, and I was supposed to sing at seminar but even though I'm doing everything right my upper voice is non-existent... Which is SO FRUSTRATING because I've made some huge improvements while I'm sick, but I can't actually 'see' them because my cords aren't coming together properly. Then tomorrow I'm going to miss my first big theory test, a concert I was going to attend for credit, and a quiz in classical mythology.

I've already missed so much class from when I had my sinus infection. This freakin' SUCKS. I -can't- fail this semester, because I've done that way too many times before from being lazy and unmotivated. Now that I finally have the drive, I'm suddenly sick? Argh.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #639
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I think I'll choose the former.

Preaching your funeral - Heath Ledger
I'm.....shocked, really. Made me laugh a little, but with no humor. That is strangely reminiscient of the Klu Klux Klan.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #640
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I have the flu, it looks like.
First a sinus infection, then the flu. It sucks to be you right now
Hang in there
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Closed Thread