FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #621
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I absolutely love "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky/Ravel. It's so wonderful . Sigh.
I've played the "Promenade" theme several times as audition music for an honor band. It's the bane of trumpet players everywhere, especially that octave jump. It's still pretty though. And I really like "The Great Gate of Kiev".

Psalm 107:31
Old 10-11-2004, 09:53 PM   #622
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I found an opera from the Salvation Army. And it actually had both discs. It's called Simon something, or something . By Verdi. I think this is a rather good recording.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #623
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I found an opera from the Salvation Army. And it actually had both discs. It's called Simon something, or something . By Verdi. I think this is a rather good recording.
Simon Boccanegra! Yes! Wow! what a great find
I have yet to listen to that opera (actually I have yet to listen to alot of operas).

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 10-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #624
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Update: The Phily Orch. had their opening season performance as scheduled.
We're getting tickets for the oboe concerto concert.

and (this is major news for our beloved pres.)

I got 4 cd's at Border's today (they had a buy 3 get 1 free deal).

The first one I picked out was Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique w/ Sir Colin Davis conducting the London Symphony Orchestra!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!

I also got Spanish classical guitar music, some George Gershwin, and medieval English vocal stuff.
*The Halelujah chorus plays in HB's head* thinks: finally that girl has done something right!
How do you like it
?!!!

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #625
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
I have a sudden urge to hear Beethoven's Fifth. But I still have to agree with Leonard Bernstein, and that too many people think Beethoven is the only composer. Anyone read his book, The Joy of Music?
i know! its quite funny

Merc, Fat M, (and anybody else...) do you know who Wilhelm Furtwangler is? (I'm trying to ahold of some Beethoven and Elgar by him...)
I thought it was pretty strange that he was looked down upon after the war for being in affiliation with the Nazi Party-yet he tryed to draw the line with them...yet Herbert Karajan had no problems of that sort though he was in affiliation with the Nazis!

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #626
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The BF LOVES furtwangler!! He's got some beethoven, brahms, wagner, schumann, strauss, schubert....
Old 10-26-2004, 04:12 AM   #627
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
i know! its quite funny

Merc, Fat M, (and anybody else...) do you know who Wilhelm Furtwangler is? (I'm trying to ahold of some Beethoven and Elgar by him...)
I thought it was pretty strange that he was looked down upon after the war for being in affiliation with the Nazi Party-yet he tryed to draw the line with them...yet Herbert Karajan had no problems of that sort though he was in affiliation with the Nazis!
I don't know with detail the "potical life" of Furtwangler. I've got a Brahms CD conducted by him in which appears one pic of Furtwangler at the exit of a concert all rounded by nazi militar authorities, but I have also hear that he really didn't agree with the ideas of the Reich...

As I've said I have a Brahm's CD: 1st Symphony and Haydn Variations. It is by far the best recording I've ever listen of Brhams 1st. Very, very impressive!!! It really doesn't seem a recording more than 50 years old

I've got also a Beethovens Eroica by him. A remarkable performance too, but I'm not so fond of this one as the other, because the sound is not that good, and because I have always in my heart Bernstein's performance of the same symphony (yeah, I know that no many people would put Lenny as the number one, but for me he is the one in that symphony )

I had also some Bruckner's recordings by Furtwangler, but they sound awfully... I think I lost those CDs

So you see. Furtwangler is one of the masters of conducting, and his performaces are always very good, but the problem sometimes is the sound of the recordings.

Good to have you around Hector BTW, I finally found the Missa Sollemnis by Klemperer. Marvellous!!! I can't stop listening to it.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #628
Mercutio

Quote:
*The Halelujah chorus plays in HB's head* thinks: finally that girl has done something right!
How do you like it
?!!!
Brilliant

You know what else I recently discovered? Spanish classical guitar music.

and I hate Bolero with a passion.
Ravel himself said that it's "a piece for orchestra without music."

A question for you all:
Should I study music in college? (as a major, I mean).
And if so...oboe or organ?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:16 AM   #629
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I cannot help you about that. I don't understand your education system...

That sounds normal. What doesn't sound as normal is that I know very little of Spanish classical guitar music. What authors are you listening to?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:31 AM   #630
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What do you mean by authors FM? Composers? I love Spanish Guitar, especially Flamenco.

Last night I went to a great classical music concert! My favourite piece was Beethoven's 7th symphony. This is now my favourite of Beethoven's 9 (IIRC) symphonies, even though I actually haven't heard them all.

I recognized the second and third movements, but I don't think I've heard the symphony before.

There was a really annoying guy sitting behind us, who chewed candies loudly and tapped out of time with the music. This let me formulate my theory on the [b]Concert Evil Eye[b]. There are three levels.

Level 1. A subtle turn of the head. Lasts no longer than 2 seconds. No eye contact is made. This is done just when someone starts doing something annoying, and is a subtle hint that most reasonable people will grasp after one or two of these mild evil eyes.

Level 2. For more serious situations. The offender is doing something like unwrapping a cough drop with excrutiating slowness. A full turn of the head, possible brief eye contact. People are willing to repeat this quite a bit in order to avoid escalating to the third level of Evil Eye.

Level 3. Only done after the first two levels have been exhausted. Level 2 was tried more than five times, which means that the annoying person is also thicker than a frozen custard. This involves glaring at the offender as long as it takes to get eye contact, then you will try to telepathically communicate your desire for the person to strangle themself with their scarf or tie.

The guy behind us wasn't that annoying, I made most of this up just now. But really, people should understand basic (it's not a big deal if someone claps between movements) concert etiquette, or enjoy classical music at home.

EDIT: About studying music Mercutio, you'll never go wrong learning the instrument you love the most. If you love the oboe and the organ equally, why not try the oboe? It's extremely versitile in an orchestra. I imagine you would have more opportunities to play than you would with an organ. On the other hand, you could transfer organ skills to the piano too. Keyboard instruments are helpful to all other instruments in my opinion.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 11-26-2004 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #631
inked
Elf Lord

Antoine Brumel

Missa "Et ecce terrae motus" a 12 voci
Sequentia "Dies irae"

Huelgas Ensemble
Paul van Nevel, General Director

recorded in the Chapel of the Irish College, Leuven, Belgium, May 1990

Sony Classical, World Premiere on Record, 1990
+++++++++++++++++++

They shall sound as this in the heavenly choirs! May I be graced to bear a part (and if you had heard me sing you would realize what an act of Grace and Mercy this shall be!).
+++++++++++++++++++

12 part polyphony for the "Missa"
12 part polyphony with austere instrumentation (trombones) "Dies Irae"

If you find the human voice the best of all instruments, make haste to hear and own this! You shall not be disappointed, I promise.

Yes, yes, I know, but he couldn't help being French, now could he?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #632
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I love choir music. Cool. What's polyphony inked?

I saw a very cool modern music concert tonight. My friend has my program, but I think all the music was written early 20th century. The modern dance part was the best - the dancers were amazing.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #633
Mercutio

I was at an open rehersal for the Philadelphia Orchestra today (conducted by Christoph Eschenbach). They did Brahm's Requiem (quite impressive, as everything they do is) and Survivor from Warsaw by Schoenberg. That piece is really tough listening; it's about 7 minutes long, baritone soloist (except he reads text basically) and is about a ... survivor in Warsaw in a Nazi concentration camp.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:34 PM   #634
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
I've played the "Promenade" theme several times as audition music for an honor band. It's the bane of trumpet players everywhere, especially that octave jump. It's still pretty though. And I really like "The Great Gate of Kiev".
I'm so impressed you played this!

I love Pictures at an Exhibition. There's a guitar adaptation for "The Old Castle".
Quote:
Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #635
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv, "I love choir music. Cool. What's polyphony inked? "

Polyphony is a style of musical composition in which two or more independent but organically related voice parts sound against one another according to Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. But that is simplistic for Brumel. Here's an excerpt from the liner notes.
"Brumel's twelve-part harmony is not structured in a traditional manner, but rather is made up of twelve equal voices that are divided according to vocal function into four groups of three voices each. Each part contains a characteristic vocal register. Group I contains three superious parts. Group II is made up of three high tenor voices (i.e., no counter-tenors), while Group III consists of "normal" tenors and Group IV is composed of three bass parts. Each of the three voices within each group comprises the same vocal register; their lines constantly cross one another, however. In addition, Brumel, who is especially interested in a daring, virtuosic interplay of contrapuntal lines, employees the crossing of voices between groups. In certain passages...a bass voice not only rises above the entire tenor group, but even above all the countertenors, as well.
"The six tenor parts...make up the tightly structured core of the polyphony.
...It is hard to imagine the vocal virtuosity Brumel was envisioning while composing this mass. Melodic leaps of an octave regularly occur. The vocal ranges are pushed to extremes and some passages are only performable by using Renaissance vocal techniques such as falsetto and changes in vocal color."

This all makes this spendid music seem dull. But once you hear the ethereal sound, you know it a magnificent masterpiece. This is a treasure. The liner notes are in Latin, English, German, and French so the polyglot has the pleasure of them maximally for the composer, director, performers, and text.

Your University may have it in the audio collection for loan or be able of acquiring it on loan for your perusal. IT IS WORTH THE TROUBLE to find it!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 12-03-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:54 AM   #636
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
What do you mean by authors FM? Composers? I love Spanish Guitar, especially Flamenco.
Yep. I meant composers It's great that you like Flamenco.

Quote:
Level 1. A subtle turn of the head. Lasts no longer than 2 seconds. No eye contact is made. This is done just when someone starts doing something annoying, and is a subtle hint that most reasonable people will grasp after one or two of these mild evil eyes.

Level 2. For more serious situations. The offender is doing something like unwrapping a cough drop with excrutiating slowness. A full turn of the head, possible brief eye contact. People are willing to repeat this quite a bit in order to avoid escalating to the third level of Evil Eye.

Level 3. Only done after the first two levels have been exhausted. Level 2 was tried more than five times, which means that the annoying person is also thicker than a frozen custard. This involves glaring at the offender as long as it takes to get eye contact, then you will try to telepathically communicate your desire for the person to strangle themself with their scarf or tie.
LOL! Very true Nurv.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #637
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

has anyone else (outside of UK) heard of Il Divo?
they are an opera group managed by Simon Cowell,
and I saw them on ClassicFM TV the other night and they
were excellent - they also performed live on
BBC Children in Need
Old 12-03-2004, 10:33 AM   #638
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
This let me formulate my theory on the [b]Concert Evil Eye[b]. There are three levels.

And you talk about hit lists on the Venting Thread?! Just trying to hide, HUH?

"Many that live deserve death. But many that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement... *dodges tomatoes* " Nurvingiel on the venting thread
Old 12-05-2004, 12:47 PM   #639
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Lol, you got me inked! But my first and second levels still work. Make that 3rd level mentally strangle themselves with their scarf or tie... so they will please for pity's sake stop making noise! Gah!
Quote:
Old 12-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #640
inked
Elf Lord

I agree with you in toto, Nurv. If I had a phaser, there would be fewer bad drivers and annoying persons such as you describe! That is why I DON'T HAVE A PHASER, obviously! Now, how many gigabytes is BoP gonna let me have for that list?
Closed Thread