Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #621
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Jesus said, "I am the way." He also said that people must follow him. If people refuse to follow him, or become content with keeping some parts of their lives to themselves and not surrendering those parts of themselves to Jesus, then yes, they aren't Christians. Or at least they are wrong. At best they're only part Christians. Every part of our lives must become like God. As Jesus said, "be perfect, as my Father in heaven is perfect."
By these standards I dare say there are significantly less christians in the world then one would assume from declaration alone.

What are your thoughts on the millions of christians and in fact those entire denomination partitions that hold that its biblically accurate that homosexuality is not a sin and/or that gay marriage is ok? Are they non christians too?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 02-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #622
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
HELLO, remember I said Christianity relies on mostly the New Testament.

Islam hasn't changed it's 'rules' in centuries.
Christians will take from the bible whatever they want to. Old or New Testament. It seems many here want to use the "old testament doesnt apply to us" loop hole when its too their convenience but that they dont apply the same restrictions when they want to support other things like creation and such.

And what 'rules' exactly has christianity changed in the past few centuries? Wouldnt that be considered blasphemy? A man altering the word of god?

From how I see it BOTH religions are followed by millions who choose to interpret their holy scriptures in the ways that seem logical to them. So frankly the absolutist point of view doesn’t seem to apply to well on a mass scale.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #623
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
By these standards I dare say there are significantly less christians in the world then one would assume from declaration alone.

What are your thoughts on the millions of christians and in fact those entire denomination partitions that hold that its biblically accurate that homosexuality is not a sin and/or that gay marriage is ok? Are they non christians too?
Wrong, IR, is the word we use for that. Sorta like, "the fundamentalists in Islam are wrong" like you have said.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #624
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Who gets to decide then? I mean here on earth...

Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #625
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

What's all this going on and on about Christianity here; I thought this was supposed to be a thread on Islam. We all know how the Christians on the moot feel by now about their religion, doesn't anybody have anything informative and enlightening to say about Islam, and about what it means to be a Muslim? Or does it always have to degenerate into a comparison fest of Christians versus Muslims, and whose religion is better? Good grief!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #626
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

QUOTE=Insidious Rex]
And what 'rules' exactly has christianity changed in the past few centuries? Wouldnt that be considered blasphemy?.....n [/QUOTE]

NO. If you can't grasp what has been stated then I give up.

if this fits in with your plans, fine but I can't waste any more energy on this

Last edited by Spock : 02-14-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #627
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
What's all this going on and on about Christianity here; I thought this was supposed to be a thread on Islam. We all know how the Christians on the moot feel by now about their religion, doesn't anybody have anything informative and enlightening to say about Islam, and about what it means to be a Muslim? Or does it always have to degenerate into a comparison fest of Christians versus Muslims, and whose religion is better? Good grief!
You're right, some of this is getting into a tangent. I'll respond to Insidious Rex in the Religious Knowledge thread .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
doesn't anybody have anything informative and enlightening to say about Islam, and about what it means to be a Muslim?
This is part of what we've been talking about.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 02-14-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #628
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I'm gonna pull an "Inked," and paste a link here with no furthur elaboration - anyway, it's interesting; it's about those pesky cartoons and such -

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/792

What do you guys think about this?

to quote the article, "Apparently Muslim papers are allowed to do what Western papers are not: republish the Muhammad cartoons."

Another case of double-standarditis, or what? So silly.

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-15-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #629
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hey, here's a link that is very informative; it's literally called Islam 101. It helps people learn more about the religion of Islam, and stuff like that. A positive link, not negative or whiny, but normal and positive.

http://www.islam101.com/

the following excerpt taken from the site -

About 1400 years ago, in his last sermon, Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him) said:

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white — except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not therefore do injustice to yourselves. Remember one day you will meet Allah and answer your deeds. So beware: Do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.”

Last edited by Lotesse : 02-15-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 AM   #630
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

A clear and specific condemnation of racism. Definitely a neat excerpt from the Koran. It's good for us to keep in mind the good that exists in that book, for there is much of it.

Though I don't think any of us have been denying that. But it's still neat to hear .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 02-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #631
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
But its IN THE BIBLE. And millions of CHRISTIANS use it and other bible references as justification for revenge killing.
oh really? Is it there? or are you just confusing the Bible with the Q'oran?
Christianity, through biblical examples, teaches that suicide is a bad thing.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 02-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #632
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
oh really? Is it there? or are you just confusing the Bible with the Q'oran?
Christianity, through biblical examples, teaches that suicide is a bad thing.
There is much violence in the Bible. The bible many times even preaches for violence. The murder God commanded on the Amaleks for instance. God commanded killing all of them - including women, children, etc...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #633
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmmm, guys, Christianity is based upon Christs teachings which leaves out the entire old testament. ......sigh.....those teachings are quite different from those espoused, followed and repeated in Islam.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #634
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
There is much violence in the Bible. The bible many times even preaches for violence. The murder God commanded on the Amaleks for instance. God commanded killing all of them - including women, children, etc...
there is MUCH violence in the bible. There's also a lot of sex and drugs in it.
I wish I could be super specific for you Rad, about the detailed dos and donts of the bible, but it would be a long post, and worth another thread in itself.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #635
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
hmmm, guys, Christianity is based upon Christs teachings which leaves out the entire old testament. ......sigh.....those teachings are quite different from those espoused, followed and repeated in Islam.
Spock get real. If christianity had nothing to do with the old testament then it wouldnt be part of the bible. And it wouldnt be referenced when convenient by millions and millions of christians.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #636
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Spock get real. If christianity had nothing to do with the old testament then it wouldnt be part of the bible. And it wouldnt be referenced when convenient by millions and millions of christians.
Nevertheless, what happened in the NEW Testament changed many things about the Old.
Of course it's part of the bible, how else would we know what a difference the New was from the Old?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #637
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

At least SOMEONE knows of what I speak. Others just love to play dumb.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #638
hectorberlioz

Quote:
At least SOMEONE knows of what I speak. Others just love to play dumb.
*pats Spock's back, not so much sympathetically as patronizingly*

Kirk: Spock?
Spock: Yes Captain?
Kirk: Call me Jim
Spock: Ok.
Kirk: What?
Spock: What?
Kirk: You're talking like an American!
Spock:What're you talkin' about?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #639
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
A clear and specific condemnation of racism. Definitely a neat excerpt from the Koran. It's good for us to keep in mind the good that exists in that book, for there is much of it.
Funny youd never know it from the lambasting its getting by some people here. Youd think Islam was a religion of death and evil. Good to see at least one other person who notes this isnt the case...

Old 02-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #640
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Nevertheless, what happened in the NEW Testament changed many things about the Old.
Of course it's part of the bible, how else would we know what a difference the New was from the Old?
Ok let me get your reasoning here... the old testament is only included in the bible because the new testament is different from it? WHY include the Old Testament at all then? That makes no sense.

And furthermore, you both continue to ignore the fact that MILLIONS of christians use quotes from both the old and new testament to justify killing. This can NOT be denied... For you to say the new testament is nothing like the old testament is false anyway. Theres plenty of scary stuff in there. Have you even read Revelations?

Closed Thread