Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #621
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Does RPG-Eärniel know that the King is taking Commerce? I'm not even sure what my own character knows! Brilliant little role player I am. She'd know Annawen took it, though. I reckon the poor girl is probably going to be somewhat miffed if she sees Eärniel turn up in class when she said earlier she did not follow it. Unless of course Annawen has completely given up on Valandil now that she's got her sights on a hunky stable-boy.

I wonder, would Eärniel have figured out already what it is about the Commerce-class that makes everybody act so strangely?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #622
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nice posts CS and Rian. So I see the on-lookers are finally explained. They were not watching the quarrel.. it was Lilly in another one of her transparent peignoires.... Strange that Alagos and Tyaron failed to notice... Elves!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #623
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm figuring that Eärniel heard it "through the grapevine", and of course she had no idea why her friend was asking her who was in her classes ... ):-)

Please don't keep my guys waiting on the doorstep any longer! I love your Itazel/Danor posts.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #624
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh has CS posted? excellent ... *runs off to look*

Tharbad thumpers or just "the thumpers'' sounds great!

mmmm.... crazy old world commerce y'know

i have an idea Des might put out a rumour about the professor as a fiery, strict, not to be crossed, ( even by kings) intensley sharp, hard task master of a professor about old bumble .... not true of course ... but as a way of helping bumble with his usual load of young arrogant rowdy thain's sons that he normally gets each year .... kind of another tradition (one that bumble knows nothing of) ... what do you reckon?

might add some spice to the spicy mix of commerce class??

kinda bumble acts so far off the scale the other way the students have this odd (comical) sense that he must be a genius! ... not to be crossed ...

misinterpreting his wandering mind, odd comments and unusual teaching methods completely the wrong way!

just an idea ... feedback always welcome
Old 11-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #625
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

BB, I think it is a funny idea. You are just the one to carry it through splendidly

OOC:I just noticed one Drake has stolen my avvie.

http://www.entmoot.com/member.php?find=lastposter&f=9

I am kind of pissed, I did it myself and it took a lot of work. Can you, dear Mods, Earniel or Val tell me, is it LEGAL? Perhaps I have no right to complain?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #626
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Over the years, she had grown rather fond of her ears.

CS
excellent!

liked the link up with barli - he ain't a cop! ...he's the watch! ...entirely different kettle of fish!

could you edit the 'small man'?

i see him as reasonably tall and certainly rather portly!

glad you are back - so, how many bad french spellings did you notice here while you were away?

best BB

lilly's bussom ....no wonder they stopped and gauped!

and the elven lads!

elves and their libidos!

very odd!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #627
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
BB, I think it is a funny idea. You are just the one to carry it through splendidly

I am kind of pissed, I did it myself and it took a lot of work. Can you, dear Mods, Earniel or Val tell me, is it LEGAL? Perhaps I have no right to complain?

oh yeah been meaning to ask you about that - he/she has had it for a while now ... maybe its an innocent compliment??

tis a bit off if you didn't know about it and esp if you made it yourself ...

btw ... i was wondering about the nazgul drawing in the birthday thread .... who people imagined each one was .... started posting some ideas over there but decided i should bring it here, but never did ....

loved the eye of sauron archery target!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM   #628
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The picture I used to make the postcard for Lotesse is one of the four awesome cartoons by The_Black_Panther
http://www.deviantart.com/view/21020949/
http://www.deviantart.com/view/21198801/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22847602/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/24714062/

Please have a look, they are worth it. Actually, it was Udu, who found them.

As for my avvie, yes, I did it myself, and no one has asked for permission to use it. I was using it since April, since my first day here...I am VERY pissed.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-15-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 PM   #629
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
well udu, we meet at last ..i'll try and post a wine drinking fest ... with bumble and Jas you'll need no cover to drink copious amounts ...
Never get in a drinking bout with a thirsty Nazgul.

Lotesse and TD, I hope you are both feeling better from the flu soon.

CS, good to see you back.

Gordis, you have good reason to be pissed. Some newbie has ripped off your av. It does not seem fair that he should be able to do this since you created it.

Nice posts, everyone.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-14-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #630
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

a challenge heh?

well sadly will have to wait till tommorow for me, sorry - gotta get some sleep.

Gor - great links - yeah i had gor sitting down in the chair!

great Avvie- glad you made it yourself: impressive!

well, see what this drake has to say for him/herself ....

night all,

best BB
Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #631
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis, you have good reason to be pissed. Some newbie has ripped off your av. It does not seem fair that he should be able to do this since you created it.
Thank you for your understanding. That is what I feel myself. Original artwork should be protected, I think. At least it is bad manners to use it on the same forum.

I am looking forward very much to your drinking contest with Bumble and Jas
Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 PM   #632
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Nice posts CS and Rian. So I see the on-lookers are finally explained. They were not watching the quarrel.. it was Lilly in another one of her transparent peignoires.... Strange that Alagos and Tyaron failed to notice... Elves!!!!
Oh, they noticed all right ... and were wondering a bit about her ... but they drew some conclusions about her, too (valid or not), and they thought other things were more important and more interesting ... let's just say she was not their style.

Actually I had a follow-up post to the firing scene, where Tyaron was trying to figure out how to address Lilly - somehow, "Miss" didn't seem to quite fit ... yet she didn't seem married, either, somehow ... But since the firing scene was not too popular, I canned the follow-up scene.

(note - this discussion is ONLY about rpg-characters, and how my rpg-characters perceive them. It is NOT about the Mooters behind them!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
just an idea ... feedback always welcome
I love everything you do with Bumble!

Quote:
I don't know if a mod can stop it, but I certainly think you can and should object. That is SO tacky Hopefully a polite request by PM will do it.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 11-14-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #633
Rían

Udu - great cartoons! I was hoping one of my favorite ones was there, but it wasn't, and I can't find it now ... it was something like "Nazgul practical jokes", and they were playing cards, and one of them had a note stuck on his back, but I can't remember what it said now. It was hilarious, though! Do you know it?

Old 11-15-2005, 01:37 AM   #634
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:

You wouldn't be interested in taking imitation as the highest form of flattery, would you?

Actually, we moderators (Earniel and I both) are powerless in this situation. You could contact an administrator - I would suggest either Fat Middle or Sister Golden Hair. Alternatively, you might first PM Drake and kindly explain your position to them and request that they use another avatar (and NOT a Prince Valiant one! ). That would be problematic if they don't come back around - but you could then move on to asking an admin for help. OTOH - if they don't come back around, and their posts are minimal, it may not be much trouble (although I do understand what you're saying).

Wish I could be of more help.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #635
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I'm figuring that Eärniel heard it "through the grapevine", and of course she had no idea why her friend was asking her who was in her classes ... ):-)
Yes, that could work, it might have come up somewhere on the reception...

Quote:
Please don't keep my guys waiting on the doorstep any longer! I love your Itazel/Danor posts.
Patience, patience! I'm getting to that.

Quote:
On the internet it's hard to determine legality. Because essentially you used an existing picture of the nazgul where you have no legal rights on to adapt and use as your avatar. I'd say (personal opinion) unless you completey drew the avatar yourself, you can't say you have a legal right to it.

But in internet etiquette IMO, it's not polite to take someone elses avatar as your own without even asking for premission. Then again, Drake may not even know you made it. For all we know he might think it's a generic nazgul-avatar that is floating on the internet by the hundreds.

I'd say the best course is to PM him, explain the situation and politely ask him to change it. But if he doesn't want to, I'm afraid there is not much to do about that then, like Val said.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:27 AM   #636
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Udu - great cartoons! I was hoping one of my favorite ones was there, but it wasn't, and I can't find it now ... it was something like "Nazgul practical jokes", and they were playing cards, and one of them had a note stuck on his back, but I can't remember what it said now. It was hilarious, though! Do you know it?
Rian,

That is by a different artist. It is called "Nazgul Humor" by Silverclaw.

http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/co...gul_humor2.jpg

Here is a comic that is more descriptive of what Udu might see if he looked into Galadriel's magic water.

http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/co...iel_mirror.jpg

The whole comic section is at:

http://www.barrowdowns.com/comiccontest.php

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 11-15-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #637
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

...UDU ... the only thing missing from the galadriel mirror cartoon ...was ..."for it is in my mind also!'

though of course it leads you there!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #638
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
On the internet it's hard to determine legality. Because essentially you used an existing picture of the nazgul where you have no legal rights on to adapt and use as your avatar. I'd say (personal opinion) unless you completey drew the avatar yourself, you can't say you have a legal right to it.
Earniel and Val, thanks for explanations. I thought along the same lines myself. Of course, there could be no real LEGAL issue on using other's pictures taken from the web. You see the same figures again and again in lots of artwork, and most nazgul figures could be traced back to LOTR screen-shots.

However, I saw, in searching the Entmoot forums, that it is not the first time when the similar thing happened. In all cases, the avatar owners were quite angry, even it their avatars were clearly not unique, and all they did was to find a picture, crop it and resize it.

In my case, I have taken the figure from here:
http://minas-morgul.one.pl/~witch-ki...fika_anita.php

You can see yourselves, that I have made a great deal of work on the original, turning the picture to colour mode, adding gradient background, adding "spotlight" effect, resizing hands to fit a woman, adding the left hand, playing with different light effects on the blade, and, finally, adding the flower, which was my very own photo! The result, I believe, could be considered an original artwork - as original as one can get using Photoshop and not paper and paintbrushes. There are huge sections in all the web galeries containing pictures of that kind.

I know perfectly well that the only place this avatar could be found is right here on Entmoot, in my posts.

Perhaps it is time to add a new Entmoot rule, prohibiting people to use (here on Entmoot) avatars taken from other members of Entmoot, without their knowledge and consent?

And the last thing. Of course, I have PM'd Drake right away, asking him to please, stop using my picture and explaining that I made it myself. I am still waiting for his/her answer.

Last edited by Gordis : 11-15-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #639
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Rian,

That is by a different artist. It is called "Nazgul Humor" by Silverclaw.

http://www.barrowdowns.com/images/co...gul_humor2.jpg
Thanks, Udu - I was hoping you knew that one - for some reason, I really loved it! I don't know if it was the "go fish" thing, or the sign on the back thing, but it was one of the first Nazgul humor cartoons I'd seen and it just busted me up

Old 11-15-2005, 12:00 PM   #640
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Thanks everybody for welcome back greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
CS
excellent!

liked the link up with barli - he ain't a cop! ...he's the watch! ...entirely different kettle of fish!

could you edit the 'small man'?

i see him as reasonably tall and certainly rather portly!

glad you are back - so, how many bad french spellings did you notice here while you were away?

best BB
Thanks BB. I will change "small man" to "a big portly man". As for "cop" that was Buz's feeling, and the right one in this case.

Also I wanted to put in more about Watson. Could you add to his summary what he looks like?

Was there anything in French here? Hard to notice in the middle of so heated an argument... Perhaps french parts have been automatically edited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian
(note - this discussion is ONLY about rpg-characters, and how my rpg-characters perceive them. It is NOT about the Mooters behind them!!!!)

Actually Lilly really doesn't live along the lines of "Laws and Customs of the Eldar", to put it mildly. She is not one to stay "nookieless" for an Age. So, don't hesitate with your follow-up.

Udu and Gor
Loved the pictures. Perhaps we can organise nazgul links gallery here.

Re: Av. I think it is BAD MANNERS to use someone's avatar alongside its owner (or the one who has taken it first). It shouldn't have been allowed.
Just think how would YOU feel if it happened to you!
Closed Thread