Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #621
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I'm glad you managed to do that. I remember I had a friend who had two turtles that were fighting all the time. Her answer was just to return one to the pet place .
Well, I'm not sure the pet place would have taken one back... They started bickering only recently, and they are quite big now, about the size of my palm. And who would want to buy a big turtle when they can have tiny turtle-babies?

Last edited by littleadanel : 11-18-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #622
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Home for Turkey-Break = Much happiness.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #623
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

And much tryptophan! Oy, you are gonna be a slug come tuesday!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #624
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Happy: today *I* cooked for the family Most of the food turned out as I wanted, and they loved it! *blushes* I'm proud of myself

Oh, and another happy thing: I snatched Tree and Leaf ant The Atlas of Middle-earth from the library No more Tolkien-/ME-related books, though... loads of Hobbit/LOTR/Sil, but apart from that, only these two. Anyway, these are mine for a month now.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM   #625
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The new picture of Icholta arrived today! She's still the cutest little tusker! Woohoo!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #626
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

awwww, give her pic a hug for us

Happy - am reworking a piece I developed back when I first started playing the harp, working in some new bits, and I'm really liking it ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #627
Janny
The Blobbit

Woo! I got me an interview at Brasenose College, Oxford, for maths. Also, I'm guarenteed an interview at either Corpus Christi or University College.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #628
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Janny, you make me jealous. Most of the colleges I'm applying to don't even want to interview their applicants, so I'm not able to make the good impression that I really need to make.

I found something out this Thanksgiving. Both of my grandfathers were in the Navy during the Korean War, but the one on my dad's side was also in WWII. I knew that, but I didn't know his job because neither grandpa ever talked about their navy experience, except with each other, and I've hardly ever seen them together. My uncle told me Thursday that my grabdpa was an "underwater demolitions expert," but back then he didn't even have a title. He was part of the division that was the prototype of the modern Navy SEALS, and that, back then, had a 45% mortality rate. He used to swim out on his own, underwater, before the introduction of any type of scuba gear, from the battleship where he was stationed to enemy ships hundreds of yards away, and then blow them up with demolition charges. That's why he has practically no hearing left now. Just think about that. That's awesome. My uncle knows this because he would always listen in on their conversationstogether. He heard them discover that my one grandpa, a helicopter mechanic and gunner on an aircraft carrier, once watched a ship explode that was the work of my other grandpa. THat's awesome. And on top of that, he'd been awarded nearly every medal that the Navy could give save one--the Good Conduct pin. THat's because he got in a fight with a sailor, who somehow managed to push him overboard, then swam underneath the ship and came up on the other side to surprise the guy, and beat him into excuse from duty.

Yo.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #629
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The Shadowraider DVD's I ordered came in! Wheeeeee! Total hapiness! Including the first season I never managed to see on TV! Woohooo!

So if you miss me in the next couple of days, I'll be watching the other small screen...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 PM   #630
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Had a great afternoon with a friend I met on the net. We went to the Finnish national museum of arts, and had a great time. The image you get of a person when talking over the net is never exactly the same as the way you see that person after meeting them in real life. This time the latter image was even better than the first impression.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #631
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

That's so cool Nerdanel! I've met alot of people I've talked to over the net, and they weren't quite as I imagined.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #632
Nerdanel

I've met three, and I've never had any regrets. I'm glad your experiences have been good too!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #633
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Thats good One of the people I've met is Falagar, and he's the only one that I have any regrets about. No, I'm just kidding. But I've met him. And I say he's nicer in real life than on the internet.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #634
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
Thats good One of the people I've met is Falagar, and he's the only one that I have any regrets about. No, I'm just kidding. But I've met him. And I say he's nicer in real life than on the internet.
And I think he seems like a nice guy on here too..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #635
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I like Falagar

Happy - my harp playing is doing better now! After hearing that wonderful Irish harpist in concert, I just couldn't seem to play anything right. I've worked that out now and am quite happy with an arrangement I'm developing on a Petit Berceuse piece (a Berceuse is kind of an evening song/lullaby thing). I"m usually never happy with the way a piece is written and I fiddle around with it until I like it.

And my son gave me such a cute compliment the other day - we were driving back from the Thanksgiving hols, and I put in the harpist's CD and played a piece that I liked, and said sadly, "I wish I could play as good as she does!", and he said, "But Mom, you play BETTER than she does!" We kind of chuckled and I said, "Thanks, that's sweet!", and he said, "I'm SERIOUS, Mom - you DO!" He was totally serious and sincere. It was really sweet

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #636
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...music, like beauty, is often in the eyes and ears of the beholder. Keep on with your practice, it's a beautiful intstrument.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #637
Rían

Love covers a multitude of sins, harp-playing sins included And my little chicken nugget loves me

Yes, I think the harp is lovely - I never really liked it until I heard Irish music played on it, then I fell in love with it. I'm so fortunate to be able to even have a harp, altho now I wish I had one with one more octave on the bottom. I love the low tones on a harp. But the good thing about a smaller harp is that it's more transportable. If I had another octave, I definitely would have trouble getting it in the back of our car. My current harp is 26 strings (3 octaves plus 4 notes on the top) and is up to my shoulder. I think you can see it in the pic thread - the pic of me and hubby with his .22.

Last edited by Rían : 11-30-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #638
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Indeed. It is very ethereal, IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #639
Rían

*checks the pic thread*

Yes, you can see it behind my head *waves to her harp*

Each harp has its own personality, too, depending upon the wood used and how it's made, etc. I like that

Old 11-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #640
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Sort of like "The Red Violin", a movie I think you'd enjoy. I skunched my eyes (yep thats what I did) and I can't see any harp.
Closed Thread