Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #601
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, they are :-)

There were some other family members that brought some food, but she was the one organizing the whole thing. There's no way it would have happened without her. And what's really frustrating is her grandparents on my husband's side - they're always praising the other grandkids, and not my kids, especially not my daughter. I think it's because my kids have it pretty together and the other grandkids really struggle in a lot of areas, and they're trying to make them feel better. My husband usually doesn't notice very much, but my son and I stand up for her. But this time, my husband noticed and praised her, and the grandparents didn't respond, so he doubled his volume (and he has a loud voice!) and praised her again, and finally got some praise out of them. Then he brought it up again later on, and the same thing happened, and again, he pressed the point and made sure that my daughter heard how proud he was of her, and the grandparents had to say some nice things too. It's really stupid how they think it's helpful to not praise a grandchild who is really capable to make the less capable ones feel better or some weird reason like that.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-16-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #602
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

BTW, heading into ANOTHER surgery But this one is arthroscopic (knee) so it shouldn't be as bad, although my body doesn't do well with surgeries and takes quite a while to heal. But maybe I'll finally get that back-to-back LOTR movie viewing done? ... I could just fall asleep at the bad parts

Has anyone here done that, btw?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #603
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I've done two LOTR marathons, but that was before the Hobbit movies came out. Highly recommend. Never fallen asleep, usually get food/eat during the bad parts

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #604
Rían

I think I might give it a try!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #605
Mari
Elf Lady

I did it several times, once with my sister: she wanted to go to bed literally 10 minutes before the end of the last film...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #606
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

I see the Moot operates in floods nowadays ~~~~~~~

Lots of snow and biting cold here, but also the snow blanket is finally as it should be in February: pure, gleaming, shimmering white. The Finnish name for this month translates as "Pearlmonth"

The internship is a damn dream job; laid-back bosses, no strict work times, and as much graphic design and stuff as I can do.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #607
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
BTW, heading into ANOTHER surgery But this one is arthroscopic (knee) so it shouldn't be as bad, although my body doesn't do well with surgeries and takes quite a while to heal.
Best of luck with the surgery.

Quote:
Once and only with the non-extended edition. Be sure to plan for enough pee-brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Lots of snow and biting cold here, but also the snow blanket is finally as it should be in February: pure, gleaming, shimmering white. The Finnish name for this month translates as "Pearlmonth"
Very poetic.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #608
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I've never heard of coconut tea before! Does it hold its flavour well? Then it might be something my sister might like.
It is very good. The first time I had it, I sweetened it with honey and that combination really knocked me off my feet with that first swig.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #609
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
BTW, heading into ANOTHER surgery But this one is arthroscopic (knee) so it shouldn't be as bad, although my body doesn't do well with surgeries and takes quite a while to heal... Has anyone here done that, btw?
My wife has had two, and my older daughter one, all with the same excellent surgeon. They had a knee-exercising machine afterwards that moved the knee slowly and smoothly so that it would heal properly: it was literally a pain at first, but both of them rather liked it once the initial discomfort subsided after a few days. Their first experience with the machine for both of them, though, was eye-opening.

Hope your surgery went well and you heal quickly and completely.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #610
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
But maybe I'll finally get that back-to-back LOTR movie viewing done? ... I could just fall asleep at the bad parts

I've done it once, a couple of years ago. A few friends together, it took us a whole Saturday complete with dinner break and other meals and necessary breaks (at least every time it was time to change DVD).

What I missed most about it, was time to discuss what we thought of it. There wasn't time for that, and still we didn't finish until after midnight.

If I do it again, I would prefer - if at all possible - to rather do the three parts over three nights running, to have time for discussion along the way. I don't know how easy it would be to schedule three nights running for such a project, though - or SIX nights now, if you want to include The Hobbit as well

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #611
Mari
Elf Lady

I got my new glasses today. I had to get new ones, because I was allergic to the old one. Yes, apparently that is possible *rolls eyes*

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #612
Earniel

Allergic to glasses? Never guessed that would be possible. I hope the new ones are better then.

We're approaching spring here, I am so glad.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #613
Mari
Elf Lady

Yeah, apparently I'm allergic to the (kunststof) in the lenses and the rim. If I took my glasses off, you could see red rashes on my face in the shape of my glasses. It was a bit of a give away

Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #614
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Yeah, apparently I'm allergic to the (kunststof) in the lenses and the rim.
kunststof is Dutch for the English plastic.

I’m not a doctor, but it sounds like contact dermatitis. Common plastics that cause contact dermatitis include: latex – lots of people are allergic to latex gloves, for instance; para-tertiary-butylphenol formaldehyde (PTBP) resin, which is used to manufacture plastics; and epoxy resin.

If you speak Dutch, this might be a good site on it.

Last edited by Alcuin : 03-03-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: plastics that cause ... are: > plastics that cause ... include:
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #615
Rían

We did the back-to-back LOTR movie viewing! We did it the weekend after my knee surgery. The surgery went well and there wasn't a lot of pain, but I needed to rest and keep it elevated, so my middle son came home from college (it's only 40 min away) and stayed home for the weekend and watched it with me My daughter popped in here and there and watched off and on. We watched FOTR and half of TTT on Friday night, then second half TTT and first half ROTK Saturday, then final part of ROTK Sunday. It worked out well that way - there were breaks and times to discuss the movie/book, yet there was still enough continuity in the movies. It was really fun, and a nice time with my son

Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #616
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
my middle son came home from college (it's only 40 min away) and stayed home for the weekend and watched it with me
How is this possible???? I thought your son was a little kid! Wow has time passed...

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #617
Rían

amazing, isn't it?! He's 19 now!

Earniel's 12, did you know?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #618
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Yeah, apparently I'm allergic to the (kunststof) in the lenses and the rim. If I took my glasses off, you could see red rashes on my face in the shape of my glasses. It was a bit of a give away
That makes more sense. I was still thinking of glasses with actual glass lenses and didn't think anyone could be allergic to something as inert as glass. But plastic's another thing. Bummer allergy to have.

Quote:
Earniel's 12, did you know?
Oh yes, precocious child, that's me. I've been Entmootin' before I was born! (Good thing I remembered my password before being reincarnated in Aman. Hate to have losts all my posts inbetween. )
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #619
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

What up people? (And Elves and all others )

I see we're not being hasty here...
Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #620
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Oh yes - even late!

Yesterday I meant to mention that it was the Anniversary Date for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Closed Thread