Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #601
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

*sends soothing thoughts towards Nerdanel and everybody with difficult parents*

minor vent: i wish this crazy time of grade-signing, meaning desperate search for teachers whose signing hours i've missed, were over.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #602
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

I said UPDATE!

Hrr.

*sorry*
Old 01-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #603
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Vent: France.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4627862.stm
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 01-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #604
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I HATE HATE HATE looking for jobs! I am NEVER gonna get out of the hole I've dug my self into
Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #605
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I can empathise with that.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #606
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I can empathise with that.
at least I know that someone else out there is in the same boat the best of luck to both of us eh?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #607
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Indeed!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #608
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4627862.stm

Seriously, this is mad. It is also heinous. It smudges the face of all the West and lends justification to those who call us terrorists. It would be an atrocity beyond belief if France followed through on these words. Such comments belong more in the mouth of an extremist Islamic fundamentalist than in the mouth of a president of a civilized Western country.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-19-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #609
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

the U.S. has said that they would not be afraid to use nuclear weapons in certain situtations... as has israel... it is unfortunate, but nothing new
Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #610
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Someone just stole my bike. <insert many words I'm not supposed to say on Entmoot> Before I left for the holidays someone stole the front wheel off of it. In the middle of finals. I could have dealt with that, fortunately I hadn't yet gotten around to buying a new one. Then, my boyfriend's bike was stolen while we were gone. That was really bad. He just got that replaced yesterday. And today, I walk home from class, and someone has stolen what was left of my bike. Grrrr! Now I have to spend money on a new bike, and it seems like some chronic bike thief has picked our apartment complex (another bike here is missing wheels as of today, too) to stock up from, so there's a pretty good chance that the bike I buy will have to be replaced again in another six months. GRRRRR!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #611
Mercutio

scheduling

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #612
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
the U.S. has said that they would not be afraid to use nuclear weapons in certain situtations... as has israel... it is unfortunate, but nothing new
In certain situations. This is not yet World War 3. If France dropped nuclear bombs on Iranian or Syrian cities, it would be wiping out tens of thousands of innocents. We're not talking about a situation where millions of lives on both sides might be saved by dropping the bombs, like we were in World War 2. Neither would France be doing this as a last resort or because it is necessary. This French declaration is doubtless intended to serve as a deterrent.

We probably would deter a lot of people in the US from murder if we tortured to death everyone who commits a murder, along with every member of that murderer's family. But we would be fiends to use this as a deterrent punishment. Deterrents can go way too far, and this French one goes way, way, way too far. I find it horrifying that France dares to voice threats of unspeakably barbaric butchery in this international community.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #613
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

ugh - time to hop in the car again and pick up son #1 at soccer and son #2 at a friend's house.

At least I have my nice iPod with the wonderful car adapter now but I'm tired - I better play something lively!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #614
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Bleh, workshifts suck. And I had to quit to keep up with school, but that is alright, I dont mind much, more time to myself. Docs say (hate going to the doctors. Or at least mine) I gotta leave off the stress factors a bit. Its really been messing with me.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #615
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Deterrents can go way too far, and this French one goes way, way, way too far. I find it horrifying that France dares to voice threats of unspeakably barbaric butchery in this international community.
maybe you are reading too much into his comments because of general feelings you have about the french
Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #616
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

nah, the French are........................French, they make great food but little else.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #617
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Oh my. Earlier this day I was floating happily, but now I'm sad and confused. My best friend at uni wrote a very upsetting message to me - I felt I had to call her. And I was right, she was crying - what I could get out of her was that her dad had their dog shot (!! ), and when I asked why - was the dog ill? was he attacking people? but then why not just have a vet put him to sleep? - she said no all to that. Seems the dog has escaped. And that's all; no attacks. But then why? NO other alternatives AT ALL?

My friend is really very depressed and frustrated now; something I can understand. She is at home (she doesn't live in my town, we're together only at uni) and we have an exam due on Monday; I persuaded her to come here on Sunday to share a talk in the afternoon. Maybe I can help her get out of this.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #618
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

that's so sad... best wishes to you with your friend littleadanel
Old 01-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #619
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
maybe you are reading too much into his comments because of general feelings you have about the french
I would be just as shocked if the Bush Administration said it would respond to terrorist conventional bombs with US nuclear bombs. Or if it said it might respond to them with nuclear bombs.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-20-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #620
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I would be just as shocked if the Bush Administration said it would respond to terrorist conventional bombs with US nuclear bombs. Or if it said it might respond to them with nuclear bombs.
starts humming

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when
But I'm sure we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through, just the way you used to do
Till the blue skies chase the dark clouds far away
Closed Thread