Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I'll have a go...

IMO, these are the criteria for personhood:

1. Have human DNA
2. Be born
3. Possess a mind

(Because of 3, Siamese twins are two people, because they both have minds.)

Hmmmm....um, no.

It's pretty obvious that human "interaction" is for the purpose of making people, and we can know -these days- how they develop within the mother.
Not to get too sentimental, but there are some theories that classical music while a woman is pregnant helps calm the child...and added on to that, ask any mother whose child was a "kicker" whether they have a "mind" or personality.

"Darn that clump of cells, it keeps kicking for more food!"

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 09-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #602
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Is it my dirty mind, or is 'human "interaction"' a euphemism?

*selfsmack*

ANYWAY, personhood...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 09-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #603
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'll have a go...

IMO, these are the criteria for personhood:

1. Have human DNA
2. Be born
3. Possess a mind

(Because of 3, Siamese twins are two people, because they both have minds.)
Number 2 I really, really don't get. It's just somebody in a different location, who's on life support. How does being in a different location and on life support mean that you're not a person?
Quote:
As for my own personal views? True, I don't see a third trimester abortion as killing a person, but I don't agree with them either. It is, like I said, in the grey area that I can't defend.
Well please think about it, for it is significant. And I'm interested in hearing what you come up with and why.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #604
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Lief, how bout you provide us with your account of what it means to be a person?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 AM   #605
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

My view is that being "made in God's image" is what gives us personhood. So every human is a person, but no animal is. For God is the ultimate Person. The essence of personhood is the essence of being "made in God's image." So for me, the question could be rephrased as, "what is it to be made in God's image?"

For me, that would require a lot of very worthwhile Bible study that I haven't done yet. I don't know what it means to be made in God's image.

But let us beware in our present conversation . . . this thread must not diverge into a religious detour .

If one takes a non-religious definition of personhood, I think it is best to just define it as "any human." Because otherwise you judge some humans less persons than others, judging people based on their biology rather than their actions, and that gets very, very dangerous. It's treading in the same waters that have been treaded already by all racists, by many men who abuse and demand servitude from their wives, believing women to be less than them because of their biology, and by many murderers who have killed homosexuals and mentally disabled. That path leads straight into hell's gullet, to put it simply.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-28-2006 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #606
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think the third trimester is problematic because the offspring can potentially survive outside of the mother's womb. I guess I think 'personhood' manifests itself gradually AFTER the baby is born, but by the third trimester, it becomes a lot harder to consider the unborn as merely a mass of cells.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #607
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I think the third trimester is problematic because the offspring can potentially survive outside of the mother's womb. I guess I think 'personhood' manifests itself gradually AFTER the baby is born, but by the third trimester, it becomes a lot harder to consider the unborn as merely a mass of cells.
The foetus has all the major organs by the end of the first trimester.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #608
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

A woman has a two-year-old child. The father has deserted her; she is young, poverty-stricken, with no prospects for a steady job, no health care or ability to provide for her child properly. She decides to hire a hit man and have her child killed.

A woman is pregnant in her first trimester.The father has deserted her; she is young, poverty-stricken, with no prospects for a steady job, no health care or ability to provide for her child properly. She goes to a clinic and has an abortion.

In the first case, I think we'd all agree that the woman (found clinically sane) should spend a long time in prison. Those who support the death penalty might say that she should be executed for such a crime.

So, for those who say a fetus is a child, a woman who has an abortion should also be imprisoned for years, or perhaps executed.

If not, why not?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #609
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Because a two year old isnt a three week old fetus?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #610
Janny
The Blobbit

Nor are you a two year old.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #611
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Some would disagree with that at times

Old 09-28-2006, 02:47 PM   #612
Janny
The Blobbit

Well fine then.

But you appreciate that saying a foetus in not a child because they're not the same, is equivalent to saying that an adult is not a child, because they are also not the same. The point about the significant, morality determining rites of passage which lie between those points still has to be argued.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #613
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser
A woman has a two-year-old child. The father has deserted her; she is young, poverty-stricken, with no prospects for a steady job, no health care or ability to provide for her child properly. She decides to hire a hit man and have her child killed.

A woman is pregnant in her first trimester.The father has deserted her; she is young, poverty-stricken, with no prospects for a steady job, no health care or ability to provide for her child properly. She goes to a clinic and has an abortion.

In the first case, I think we'd all agree that the woman (found clinically sane) should spend a long time in prison. Those who support the death penalty might say that she should be executed for such a crime.

So, for those who say a fetus is a child, a woman who has an abortion should also be imprisoned for years, or perhaps executed.

If not, why not?
The only mediating factor in my mind is that some of the women who commit abortions are fully convinced that their children are not children. Thus they aren't aware fully of what they are doing. This same argument is a defense for the Nazis and racists and others. Sometimes they just don't know how hideous what they are doing really is. That doesn't make it not hideous, but it does absolve them from some of the guilt of the crime.

A first trimester child is developing all its major organs. It doesn't have them all yet, but it's developing them. Who are we to say when a human being is primitive enough to be ethically killed?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-28-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #614
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Well fine then.

But you appreciate that saying a foetus in not a child because they're not the same, is equivalent to saying that an adult is not a child, because they are also not the same. The point about the significant, morality determining rites of passage which lie between those points still has to be argued.
you are right they are not the same, but you can't really say that one is more or less of a person than the other so that would really make them equal as persons.

obviously the two year old is bigger, more developed and in a different enviroment, and less dependant a month old fetus but so am I more developed than that two year old.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #615
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Well fine then.

And in the end you have to draw a line based on certain criteria (development, physical connection to mother, etc.). But the problem is that the criteria is different depending on your moral/religious outlook. For me knowing the science of the matter is enough. For others the science is quite irrelevant.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #616
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
The only mediating factor in my mind is that some of the women who commit abortions are fully convinced that their children are not children. Thus they aren't aware fully of what they are doing. This same argument is a defense for the Nazis and racists and others. Sometimes they just don't know how hideous what they are doing really is. That doesn't make it not hideous, but it does absolve them from some of the guilt of the crime.
It's a crime in your eyes. For some it is not.

Quote:
A first trimester child is developing all its major organs. It doesn't have them all yet, but it's developing them. Who are we to say when a human being is primitive enough to be ethically killed?
We are who we are. All of us make choices all the time about life and death. I've discussed this somewhat offtopic, yet relavant, point before:

During wartime we take actions that we know will kill innocents (sometimes even babies) in the name of a greater good. None of us think it is okay, and we certainly try to avoid it, but we accept it as necessary in certain situations. Many will argue as to whether there are other choices, but very few dismiss the option entirely.

It is the same with abortion. Some people weigh the pros and cons of abortion vs. bringing a child into a situation where they will be unwelcome and maybe even hated by their parent. They judge that the life the child would be subjected to is worse than not living at all. Much like how, during war, the attacker decides that the loss of some innocent lives is acceptable to protect the lives and well-being of others.

You can argue about where the line is drawn, but all of us, even yourself, draws that line in one situation or another that involves innocent life, whether you admit it or not.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #617
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
And in the end you have to draw a line based on certain criteria (development, physical connection to mother, etc.). But the problem is that the criteria is different depending on your moral/religious outlook. For me knowing the science of the matter is enough. For others the science is quite irrelevant.
Then you are saying that we have the right to kill humans who we perceive to be less developed than ourselves, and we have the right to decide where to draw that line.

Then the racists are justified. They judge people of other ethnic groups to be less developed than they are, and you say they have the right to do that. You also say that they have the right to draw that line, killing people who we think are inferior.

The Nazis even used scientific data, though in hindsight, we can see that it was certainly played with and biased (as I think much of our scientific data on abortion is, for the sake of political correctness).

You say that all kinds of the sickest people in humanity are justified when you say that we can judge people based on their biological development rather than by their actions.

Your statement about connection with the mother is just absurd. I can't understand why this biological life support mechanism means the mother has the right to kill her child. It doesn't make the slightest bit of logical sense.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #618
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
It's a crime in your eyes. For some it is not.
Yep. And for some in Germany during WW2, the treatment of the Jews was a crime. For others it was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
You can argue about where the line is drawn, but all of us, even yourself, draws that line in one situation or another that involves innocent life, whether you admit it or not.
Agreed, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Let me explain why.

With war, we do everything we can to avoid innocent deaths.

With our justice system, we do everything we can to avoid the innocent being condemned.

With our medical practices, we do all we can to prevent death. We know that sometimes accidents on the doctors' parts will happen that will result in death. We do everything we can to minimize the amount that this happens. Until abortion.

With abortion, the situation is could not be more different. We do not do everything we can to prevent the loss of innocent life, like we do with the other three forementioned. Rather, we legalize a mass slaughter of the innocents. "Everything that can be done to prevent innocent death" is not being done, like it is in the other three cases. Rather, we purposely kill off the innocents even though they are not threatening life- only lifestyle.

Here's the bottom line. With war, we do all we can to avoid killing innocents. We know that innocents will die, but we do all we can to avoid innocent deaths. With abortion, we purposely kill the innocents. Thus the two are completely different.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-28-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #619
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Number 2 I really, really don't get. It's just somebody in a different location, who's on life support. How does being in a different location and on life support mean that you're not a person?
Because you're part of another person's body, and thus not a person. The life support system is extremely significant.

Having an abortion, in my mind, is comparable (to a point anyway) to having your spleen removed. It's a big deal, and a serious operation, where you remove part of your body. After that the comparison falls apart.

Quote:
Well please think about it, for it is significant. And I'm interested in hearing what you come up with and why.
Oh I'm thinking about it alright.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #620
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Because you're part of another person's body, and thus not a person. The life support system is extremely significant.
It's just like a mechanical construct, except made out of biological material instead of plastic material, or rubber rubber or metal. Either way, it's just a mechanism. If I'm on a mechanical life-support mechanism, I'm still my own person. Being on a machine doesn't make me a non-person. The same is true with a child in the womb. Being on a biological machine doesn't make me a non-person. It's two people attached to one another, not one person with an odd growth .

I argue that you can be part of someone else's body and still your own person. Most mothers would tell you so as well, from their experiences with their children in the womb.
Quote:
Having an abortion, in my mind, is comparable (to a point anyway) to having your spleen removed. It's a big deal, and a serious operation, where you remove part of your body. After that the comparison falls apart.
Except that a spleen doesn't have thoughts and feelings of its own, and thus no personality. No soul there. No person there. Just a part of the body removed. When a baby is eliminated, on the other hand, it may be a part of the body that's being removed but it's not "just" a part of the body that's being removed. There's far more to an infant than there is to a spleen.

By removing your spleen, you're also not killing anyone. The baby is alive, though.

I agree that "it's a big deal, and a serious operation, where you remove part of your body." But you're right also that after that the comparison falls apart, and the places where the two are different are very, very significant .

Closed Thread