Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #601
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Sis, her skirts tucked into her belt, was going wading. She left the torch by the horses and carried only her flint and tinder, as she felt her way around the curving cave wall in the mysteriously warm water. She trusted touch and smell to tell her when she'd reached her goal. So far, she was only knee deep, her toes reflexively digging into the sand. Soon the curve hid even her little torch, and she was alone in the dark. Who knew what Nautipus was doing, but Sis inched forward, trying not to think about eels and other toothy waterdwellers, or the risk that the ledge would suddenly drop off. When the wall receded before her, she struck a brief light. The lichen she looked for MIGHT be that patch, a few bodylengths ahead.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #602
Nautipus
Kraken King

Nautipus kept the thing busy, but as he did so, he began to discern its dimensions. He new it could feel his questing, but it did nothing. Nautipus ventured along its nervous network, all the while talking to the thing. It spoke back. He could sense its arrogance.

It told a story,

"When I was younger, a Giant ventured down to me", it began, "We were mutually starved, we held to each other, and began our search for prey together, using each other's strengths."

Nautipus listened raptly, even as he travelled down the thing. It was ancient, even at its story's beggining, it had been deep-rooted into the world.

"We became strong. We outran and out-fought starvation. We grew fat, and mean." The creature's spirit was stirring in this memory, it was enjoying the story. Nautipus could feel its movements become more deliberate, but it drew no closer. "One day, while i was sleepin in the shallows, the giant came to me, and tried to crush my head with a stone. A stalagtite, ripped from the ceiling of our home." It continued, now Nautipus felt it hefting something. "But I have a hard head." It said. Nautipus ducked instinctively. He had heard the water shift. Something huge flew over his head and crashed against the far wall behind him. Missing Sas, Nicro and Eilonwy by a wide margin. He looked back.

It was a massive skull. Larger than two of the horses, but hominid in character, and petrified. It had sat with the thing for a long time, mute witness to an atrocity. Nautipus could feel its mirth, rising to him from the lake. It showed him what it had done to the Giant. It had skinned the giant alive, skewering him on a stalagmite, carving him even as he roared.

Nautipus shivered. It was only now that he noticed Sis missing from the group, but he pushed the thought down quickly. He couldnt let the thing know where she was, or might be. He continued listening to it share its murders with him, and he continued plumbing its physical dimensions, and was afraid.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #603
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Sis felt the movement of the water, first, a sudden current that had her clutching the cave shelf as the sand disappeared from under her feet. She didn't quite fall, although she was scraped against the live rock. The earth rumbled, and a colony of bats exploded above her like a sudden thunderstorm. She looked back, but couldn't see the others on the beach, or the horses. The night was still absolute, but its hush had been broken, broken by violence. She held onto the ledge and prayed, and waited while the waves diminished. Then she wiped her eyes and began again, inching along toward the patch she had seen before.

Between one step and the next, everything changed. Her left foot, sliding forward, was surrounded by a swirling nimbus of light. She stopped, fascinated, and leaned to see...it was some small plant or creature in the water, that her step had disturbed. Her pleasure in the simple and beautiful phenomenon diminished, however, when she looked behind herself and saw the effect riplling away from her, through the water. Suddenly she felt that a neon sign identified her, here.

Surrounded by light, anyway, she struck her flint and saw the lichen she'd been hunting. She scraped some rapidly off the rock and started stuffing it into her pouch.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #604
Eilonwy
Hobbit

Eilonwy falls over when the giant skull hits the wall . Then she sees the bats and screams before going to calm the horses. The horses were in a panic so Eilonwy beckoned Sas and Nicro for help.
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #605
Nicro
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Sis felt the movement of the water, first, a sudden current that had her clutching the cave shelf as the sand disappeared from under her feet. She didn't quite fall, although she was scraped against the live rock. The earth rumbled, and a colony of bats exploded above her like a sudden thunderstorm. She looked back, but couldn't see the others on the beach, or the horses. The night was still absolute, but its hush had been broken, broken by violence. She held onto the ledge and prayed, and waited while the waves diminished. Then she wiped her eyes and began again, inching along toward the patch she had seen before.

Between one step and the next, everything changed. Her left foot, sliding forward, was surrounded by a swirling nimbus of light. She stopped, fascinated, and leaned to see...it was some small plant or creature in the water, that her step had disturbed. Her pleasure in the simple and beautiful phenomenon diminished, however, when she looked behind herself and saw the effect riplling away from her, through the water. Suddenly she felt that a neon sign identified her, here.

Surrounded by light, anyway, she struck her flint and saw the lichen she'd been hunting. She scraped some rapidly off the rock and started stuffing it into her pouch.
sis what happened!
Nicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #606
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

"What is it, Eilonwy?" asked Sas running over to where he heard the shout.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
The Sasquatch of Fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #607
The Sasquatch of Fangorn

"Nauty. What's going on?" asked Sas as he drew his spear.

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #608
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Whereever he was at this moment, Hector knew not. Once again he was turned to stone. His location was dark and cold.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #609
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

In the luminescent swirl of the water, were a few darker flakes, lichen, stained and trailing blood from Sis's scraped hands.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #610
The Sasquatch of Fangorn

Sas looked up as he was gathering up his things. "Hey, where's Sis?"

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Last edited by The Sasquatch of Fangorn : 04-14-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #611
Mari
Elf Lady

While all these things were taking place below ground, Mari was sitting quietly at the entrance to the cave ticking off in her head the things on her list that she had finished. The patients were all more or less stable and a base camp had been set up. This gave her time to think of things she had pushed away before.

What exactly had happened? They had been attacked by orcs, but according to Acally there were other beings attacking them at the same time. Sane had disappeared and Mari wasn't certain everyone was accounted for. She did not know for sure who had gone down deeper into the cave and who had remained to fight. Was the group who went into the cave okay? Did they need help? There was not a lot she could do right now for the people below with the situation being as it was, so she pushed the worries she felt for them aside for the moment.

Then she remembered the thing GW had brought back to her earlier. Mari took out the package and after checking if everyone was still resting, she unwrapped it. With a frown she looked down on a golden Kris with jewels in the heft. She wasn't sure if it was real gold or if the jewels were real. Perhaps Sas would be able to tell her as he was part dwarf, but she wanted to talk to Acally about it in private first. It was unlikely this dagger was from Acally herself. What warrior would have a golden dagger to go to combat with? And of such an unusual design too! No, she would have to talk Acally about it soon. Mari had a few theories concerning the Kris and its origin, but she would need more information to be sure.

Carefully she lifted it and smelled the blade. It didn't smell like poison, but that didn't mean it wasn't poisoned. Mari put the Kris down again and looked for a leaf or plant that was still alive. There was a small sapling growing near her. She dug it up and pierced the stem with the Kris. After a while still nothing had happened and Mari was about to put it back into the earth when she noticed some sap coming from the stem... but it wasn't a normal colour. Now the hole itself started to turn blue-brownish. It quickly spread and the sapling was dead within a matter of minutes. But it didn't stop there! The now blue-brownish sapling became slimey very quickly and was completely unrecognizable after a few more seconds. Mari shuddered. This was the poison that had infected Acally. When the full realization of what could have happened hit her, Mari shuddered again, looking in horror at the plant she had just killed.

Forcing her thoughts away from this line of thought, Mari wrapped the Kris again and put it away. She had heard something from the back of the cave.
Mari got up, grabbed her mace and walked towards the back. She relaxed when she saw Tfan emerging from the crack leading deeper into the cave.

Tfan looked around and then came up to Mar and saidi: "Sas joined those in the cave, they are in no trouble, but will be delayed. In this bag is some sand from deep in the cave. You would know more about it than I would."
"Thank you Tfan. Phew, you got me a bit worried for a moment when you came out of the cave. But you bring good news, I was getting worried about all of you." Mari replied with a relieved smile. "Could you please tell me who all is down there?"
Mari listened to Tfan's answer while her face became more and more worried.
"Hector is missing... Oh dear lord!" Quickly she turned around scanning the surroundings for Bunicula. She spotted him munching on something undefined at the other end of the clearing and yelled his name, not caring that that would wake up Acally and Aeran. "Bunicula! Did you see Hector anywhere? You seem to be able to find him everywhere, is it possible he was among the dead?" Mari asked the rabbit when he came over. Bunicula did not seem to know the answer to her first question, but when she asked her second question he stated very clearly that Hector was not among the dead they had buried a few days ago.

Mari's alarm had indeed woken the patients and called GW and Katt back to the cave. They were looking in askance at her.
"Everyone, Hector is missing! I was hoping he was down with the others, but according to Tfan here, he isn't. We need to search the area again, but by now we will have to look for a statue instead of a person. However there aren't enough of us here to split up and search." Aeran made a movement and Acally was about to speak up as well. "And you two are NOT getting up till at least tomorrow afternoon!" Mari said with a stern voice. She did not intend to endanger their healing process by letting them up and there was still the poisoning Acally was recovering from.
By now several people where talking at the same time, suggesting things, asking questions. Mari didn't hear them, she was thinking...

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #612
Nautipus
Kraken King

Nautipus continued with the beast, but it seemed to grow bored with him. It turned its attention elsewhere, for now. Nautipus could hear Sas behind him.
"Sas, I thought she was with you." Nautipus looked around worriedly, and could see a faint shimmer in the distance. He walked to where the smaller group was huddled. "Sas" he began, "Get yourselves and the hoses out of here, quietly. I'm going to get Sis, and we'll be right behind you."
Sas started to say something, but Nautipus interupted him, "Sas, just go. The more of us there are down here, the reater the danger, now go on." Nautipus prepared a torch, and began walking toward where he had seen the halo shimmering of phosphoresence.

Nautipus wasnt the only one who had noticed it, however. The macabre titan in the depths payed it little mind, but smaller predators were drawn to it. Small, quick and lithe, they played beneath it, hidden behind the light. Sis didnt seem to notice until they were close. Seeing the faint ripples made by their passing, she jerked her hand from the water. The phosphoresence had faded, which made it easier to see the creatures beneath it. They had large eyes, long teeth. Abyssal in appearence they glided beneath the water. They seemed to have a mark on the sides of their heads that she could see, but only as they became more brazen and lifted their heads clear of the water. They looked very similar to a tympanic membrane. Sis' wit struck again. She hefted a rock and heaved it out into the water, and the sound of its landing drew off the smaller predators, but not larger ones. Sis's small tender only allowed for breif flashes of light, and not with any range. She was reaching out again when she heard the onrush of water, and could see the phosphoresence being chased up by something large moving through the water towards her. She crambled away from the edge, but the effort was unnecassary. The creatures girth meant that it could not make it all the way up into the extreme shallows by beaching itself. Sis hurriedly grabbed what she needed and scrambled back as the thing began heaving itself up towards her, crawling through the rippling shadow.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #613
The Sasquatch of Fangorn

"Do as Nauty says." said Sas a little scared because he didn't know what was going on. "Let's go! Nicro! You take the front with your stone-bomb thingys, Eilowny, You are more than welcome to come with us above. I'll take the rear."

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #614
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Sis edged along the little rock cavern, clutching her supplies. It was too shallow to crawl in, and too low to stand up, so she traveled in a sort of crabwise motion, even her tucked skirts rather hampering. It sloped, too, and a constant rain of sand and small pebbles sifted into the water below her. She knew that she'd probably have an easier time of it if she turned and faced the wall, to look for handholds, but she couldn't bring herself to turn her back on the dread dark expanse of water, and the enemy in it. She continued to creep along.

To her left, she saw a glimmer of light, a torch, coming around the curve of rock. From its height, Nautipus. She almost wept with relief that he hadn't been swallowed by the dark water. Her foot slipped, and a few larger rocks slid out from other her, but she retained her precarious perch. "Advice?" she called hopefully, surprised that she almost managed the light tone.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #615
Nautipus
Kraken King

Nautipus still was concerned with the larger beast, and wasnt really paying much heed to what was right in fron of him until he heard Sis' voice float to him on air, rather than the ether. His heart surged, to much greif today, and no need for more.
"Sis", he said in a low voice, "Just keep doin what your doin." Nautipus grabbed a rock and hurled it back where he assumed sis had come from, heard it rattle down to the shore, along with the rataplan of smaller pebbles, and watched the phosphoresence form there. Something larged surged towards the phosphoresence, kicking up more of it's own. Nautipus then held out his hand, palm down and said, "Careful as you can."

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #616
The Sasquatch of Fangorn

Sas and the others had been walking for hours now. Just as he wondered when the would get to the surfice he saw a light ahead. "Mari? GW? Katt?" he said as he looked around. There he could see Mari and the others making camp. "What did we miss?" he aske, reminicent of the time that he was inlisted in the quest.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,

Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #617
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Gw decided to stay with Mari and safeguard the wounded while the others went off chasing he Orcs who'd taken HB.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 04-15-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #618
Mari
Elf Lady

Worried, Mari saw the group they had decided upon to look for Hector, leave. They were making enough noise to alert everything and everyone of their presence.
"Bunicula! You do the tracking and keep the group together, okay? Everyone, please stay TOGETHER!" Mari yelled after them. She had appointed Bunicula as leader of the tracking and Tfan as leader of the group. She hoped those two could keep the others in check and out of wild goose chases for a while.

Mari shook her head. This was going to be a disaster, but what else could she do? At least the group would be safe for a while until they got deeper into the forest and away from camp.

She turned around and looked at the camp. Her glance went towards Acally and she saw that Acally was looking at her.
Right. Let's get this over with. Mari thought to herself. She didn't see Katt, but GW was looking at her expectantly. "Right. Sir GW, how are your hunting skills?" Mari said with an outward smile but a feeling of guilt inside. "Do you think you can catch us something nice for dinner? I think Aeran will have quite the appetite when he wakes up again tonight. And he won't like the fact that I sedated him, so I need something to pacify him with."

She hated this secrecy and the fact that she had just send away a good man with a lame excuse, just so she could talk with Acally. How many more secrets would she have to keep after this talk? She did not know, but it couldn't be delayed any longer.

With a sigh and a slight grimace, she walked over to Acally and sat down. Before Acally could say something, Mari took out the Kris. "Please tell me everything. I need to know. Leave nothing out."

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #619
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Sir GW smiled and nodded and said."Of course I can hunt, dear lady, Im not for nothing a Knight and Knights have to be able to find food wherever they are."

With this he went off out through cave-entrance, got up on his sturdy warhorse and rode off swiftly into the forest.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 04-15-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #620
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

As they traveled into the forest, tf tried to come up with a plan. "I'm thinking, with our numbers, it would be best if we didn't go charging into anything. Perhaps we can manage to sneak up and establish our relative strength and our position so we can go about the rescue in the safest and most efficient manner." she said.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote