Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #601
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa got a bit frustrated.Why didn't she understand?!?

"I am cursed for I can see things that haven't happened yet! And sometimes they never will happen. I have seen so much pain and everytime I tried to heal it, it resulted in even more pain and even death. I will end up hurting you all too. You will die and it's all my fault!"

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #602
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Approaching Ellysa and Nami, Quickleaf opened his flask and reached out to Ellysa. "Here, drink this, and do not blame yourself for the visions you have."

Quickleaf sat down on the mossy rock with Ellysa, took out his blade and held it so that the light streaming onto the forest floor reflected on it, and shone onto Ellysa's face. "Look at your face mellonamin, my friend" The tears in your face bring shadow to what should be a bright face.
"You are a visionary, an Elear." Quickleaf gave pause.
"But what you see is not for you to control, but to observe, to read, but not to be held responsible for.
Our destiny lies in our own actions, and inactions, and you have the gift of seeing what might become, what could happen. Yet just as this blade reflects you, here and now, in sadness, it can not show the face of you in an hour, a day, a week."

"What you see in your visions is not engraved on rings, nor rooted in the depths of the earth. But a sudden breeze, an instant in the shadow of a cloud, which can change alltogether a moment later, when the breeze falls still and the sun breaks out through the cloud."

"You're a visionary, and that makes you very valuable. Which all I can say to is, diola lle, thank you."

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #603
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis had risen long enough to eat the food that Nami had brought her, but had not moved much otherwise, though it frustrated her to be this devoid of energy.
Well, she could remedy that a little, now she was aware again. Sinking into deep meditation once more Haldis allowed her mind to rejoin the Forest's once more. This gentle merging, far calmer than that morning's, brought a sense of peace more precious than even the most restful sleep...
Dreamless sleep, that is. A minute frown crossed her face. Surely the Forest had said all it needed to already! It wasn't trying to meddle again so soon after Radagast's rebuke, was it?
The words, for they were words, became more insistent, echoing loudly within her mind and then fading, their purpose an image in her mind.

Haldis broke her meditation, repeating the message, the strange words, furiously and, bracing herself to move, stood up. This was too important to wait.
Locating Tabrîl, Haldis was relieved to see that she was sitting with Abasi and looking less disturbed, Haldis crossed to them quickly and sank once more to the ground beside them.

"Tabrîl," she said, voice strained, "I think you are supposed to hear this, and then we must talk, but first there is a message," Haldis concentrated fiercely, twisting her tongue around the relayed words, "Lan in'kasha elêva, Tabrîl. Da'av ishel lanâri, tê safra'il. Da h'drev uwindi. The forest was very emphatic, perhaps it will mean something to you."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #604
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin looked tword Abasi's direction. "Morning, elf.....and other elf." he said, a bit confused. "What is it exactically that you two are doing agian?"

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #605
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

"Do you think anyone can really tell the future, A'mael?" Ingwionis asked his wife a question no one as young as her should be able to answer.

"It depends." A cryptic response, but true.

"Interesting if cryptic response. What do you mean? Depends on what?"

"I was in Lothlorien for years. The Lady Galadriel could see the future, but only to a limit. I was there when the Fellowship camped there. Frodo received a prophecy from Galadriel of what the world would be like if he failed, that him and his friends would be slaves of Sauron's will. Though that vision did not come to pass, the vision of destruction Frodo observed in his vision through Galadriel's mirror did come to pass." As A'mael spoke, Ingwionis looked over at Elyssa while she was speaking to some in the company.

"So some of the things in these visions will happen, and some of them won't?" Ingwionis asked.

"All of them are possible outcomes, but usually a vision isn't altogether accurate. It's like painting a picture of a place you've not been before, having only words to describe it." A'mael took Ingwionis' hand and kissed it. "We're not going to die, and you won't lose me. Don't worry about it. Even the most vivid of visions can be overcome, if a company remains true, as the fellowship did when all was said and done."

A'mael was obviously wise for her age. She had resided in many places in Middle Earth, but obviously not as many as Ingwionis had. Ingwionis had seen the land across the Great Sea, where A'mael had not. A'mael was quite younger than her husband, but in the life of Elves, several thousand years and several hundred years makes little difference, except for the fact that Ingwionis endured the First Age's problems.

"A'mael the Beloved, more like A'mael the Wise and Beloved. Let's go over to the rest of the company and speak with them. I know you're a little shy, but you don't have anything to be bashful of." Ingwionis encouraged his wife to come with him to talk with the rest of the company.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #606
orithil
Captain Jack

Hedrim, quite surprised that everyone had gone walk-about in the forest decided to follow. When he got there he saw Nami, Quickleaf crowded around Ellysa, feeling confused Hedrim walked up and said "What seems to be the problem?"

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #607
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl's eyes widened as Haldis spoke these words to her. The woman could not have learnt the tongue of the Kindi people, not well enough that her errors in inflection were so few, and this message - it was a very distinctive one. Tabrîl knew its origin, and it were as if a great burden had been lifted from her when she heard it.

'Yes, I know its meaning,' she said quietly to Haldis. 'It is direction, from my people.'

And that they sent her this was proof that they knew she lived, and had not forgotten her, and that there was something yet she might do for them.

At that moment, Borin approached them, and Tabrîl tilted her head to the side and said to him quizzically, 'We are not doing anything.' It seemed that she was about to laugh as she said it, such was her relief.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 AM   #608
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"Merely speaking to each other," added Haldis, glad to see that the message had apparantly given Tabrîl some comfort, "With better results than earlier. Now," she said, turning her full attention to Tabrîl, "I must ask, how often have you dealt with mortals? And have you felt tired this afternoon?"

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #609
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I am not tired.' There was no hesitation in that reply, Tabrîl was adamant. She would not show weakness. 'As for mortals, they have not often been my concern. I knew some in the East, when first they arrived there.' She shrugged. It had been long ago, and Tabrîl had paid them very little attention. 'Why do you ask me these things?'

Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #610
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis gave her a strange look, "You are certain that you are not in the least bit weary?"
The elf had to be feeling something, Haldis thought; she was having trouble holding herself upright without something to lean against. Still, it would only offend Tabrîl to say that outright and Haldis felt she had offended her quite enough for one day.
"About those mortals whom you did meet," she continued carefully, "Did you find them to be as hardy as your own people?"

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #611
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa looked up, first at Nami, then at Quickleaf, surprised to hear his words.
"Then... you don't hate me? You won't hurt me or send me away? But I am dangerous! You will get hurt at some point. And I... I don't want you to get hurt."
Ellysa was still sniffing, but she had stopped crying and she dared hope that this time things might be different.
Maybe these people were different after all

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #612
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl gave Haldis a look of warning, eyes narrowed. 'I am certain,' she said firmly. 'I am fine.' But she swayed as she said it, for the weariness she had felt earlier had only increased. This was not right, she thought, she had not exerted herself too much. Tabrîl knew her limits, and she had not even come close to them that day, and so the feeling of exhaustion puzzled her. This, however, she would not tell Haldis, or anyone else for that matter.

If she fell, however, there would be no doubt, and so Tabrîl leant heavily against the nearest tree, supporting herself.

Did Haldis think to compare her to the mortals? Tabrîl frowned slightly. 'They were not,' she said. 'Many of them were brave, but they were weak by comparison. We did not understand it.' She meant not to offend Haldis with this comment, it was simple truth.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #613
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"But you did see that they tired more easily than you?" Haldis asked pointedly, joining Tabrîl against the tree, "And you do recall when I told you earlier that the state of health for one of us will effect the other?" She paused, letting her meaning sink in, then, "Please be more careful next time you feel the need to run in the forest."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #614
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

As Tabrîl began to comprehend what was being said to her, her first instinct was to fight it. 'I am m'haid. A warrior,' she told Haldis. 'To run in the forest is nothing to me. I might run for many hours if I wished.'

She shook her head. 'I have been bidden by my people to follow after you, and so I will. But I will not curtail my activity because you might feel drained by it. It is your own doing.' It was nothing Tabrîl could not endure, exhaustion or light-headedness, that too she could fight back, and so should Haldis, if she needed to.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #615
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"Very well," Haldis' answer was unexpectedly mellow, "You may indeed run as much as you like." She closed her eyes, smiling slightly. Tabrîl would realize soon enough just how such a course of action would pan out.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 03:40 AM   #616
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I would not think of doing otherwise,' Tabrîl snapped, something in Haldis' tone irritating her. Not that she was going to get up and go for a run now, not even to prove a point, but perhaps in the morning, when sleep had refreshed her, she would.

'And since we must stay in each other's sight, if you will not run with me, perhaps I shall run circles round you,' she added cuttingly. Haldis was trying to cause Tabrîl to doubt her own ability, and this she would not accept.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #617
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis grinned at the image of the frustrated elf running in circles around her for hours on end. It would be inconvinient, but made for an acceptable compromise, "I do not think that would hurt either of us overmuch," she said, "Thank you."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #618
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl blinked. She had been trying to insult the woman, not reach a compromise with her. Was this another example of the strange sense of humor uwindi displayed? She did not know, and so she was silent, and simply glared at Haldis. That at least she could not misinterpret.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 AM   #619
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis, however, had her eyes quite definitely closed, and had, in fact, drifted back into a light sleep now that she was satisfied Tabrîl had been warned of the danger of assuming the same hardiness between them.
The glare went unnoticed and as the Beorning woman's sleep deepened she slumped a little to the side, head coming to rest on Tabrîl's shoulder.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #620
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi watched the exchange between the two with interest and a strange grin on his face - but a grin that the mortal woman would likely not recognize. It was not a particularly humourous grin, but an annoyed one, one that understood the exhasperation that Tabrîl must be feeling.

He said nothing, but sat back and watched the two of them with an unreadable expression.

~The Lay of Leithian
Closed Thread