Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #601
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think Mercutio is thinking of the way that tolerance has come to mean, in common parlance, not the tolerating of something, but rather the embracing of it. Those who consider homosexuality to be wrong are often called intolerant, even if they do absolutely nothing about it, even though that is the definition of tolerance.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #602
inked
Elf Lord

See my post in the homosexual marriage thread for a collected and calm discussion of the use of demogoguery in this issue. I think it applicable here but won't repeat it. It's the the one from Jewish World Review. To oppose a specific behaviour for specific reasons is not intolerance. To be classed a homophobe for opposing a specific behaviour is intolerance because it redefines the debate as to exclude opposition.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #603
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

I never meant to imply that you had said I was homophobic, it was an illustration of a point that was being made. If you think I made it up, I can refer you to the article I read it in a few weeks back, but but it would be nice if you'd just take my word for it since I'd rather not slander the people involved. It isn't a pleasant story to read. If you want the link, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I wasn't saying any of what you said was homophobic, I was talking about the irrational fear of homosexual people in general.

However, a priest goes to a party and was almost raped by some men and then called homophobic for reporting the incident? That sounds like something you just made up.

If you didn't make that up, provide a link to a newspaper article.

frodosampippinmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #604
inked
Elf Lord

This is homophobia....http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...-album-to.html......I had not heard of this before this blog reported it. Shari'a is not as friendly as you might wish to think.

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #605
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreebeardQuickbeam
Warning: This topic is potentially explosive since people who have an opinion tend to resort to namecalling and other abusive behavior if you disagree them. If you're not politically correct, you can expect to be treated like your opinion doesn't count and called names because of it by people advocating Tolerance, which is a double standard because their attitude shows their own intolerance.

Warning:

TreebeardQuickbeam
is apt to issue warnings!

be warned!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 AM   #606
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I consider myself warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodosampippinmerry
I never meant to imply that you had said I was homophobic, it was an illustration of a point that was being made. If you think I made it up, I can refer you to the article I read it in a few weeks back, but but it would be nice if you'd just take my word for it since I'd rather not slander the people involved. It isn't a pleasant story to read. If you want the link, let me know.
I don't really want to read the article, it sounds very sad and violent. I believe you that you didn't make that up.

However. If you want to use an analogy (like the one about the priest), consider: is it appropriate for this thread/board? Is it relevant to this discussion? Does it help my arguments?

If it does add to the thread in some way, then by all means, make the analogy. But then there is no reason not to provide a link. If you feel the story is too graphic or upsetting, then maybe the analogy was inappropriate for htis thread in the first place.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:57 AM   #607
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
This is homophobia....http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/20...-album-to.html......I had not heard of this before this blog reported it. Shari'a is not as friendly as you might wish to think.

Terrible. It's so wrong that people should be killed for their sexuality. Just awful. We've all certainly come a long way, haven't we?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #608
inked
Elf Lord

But, it could be that gays have an agenda after all.......

"A film-and-video lab owner has filed suit against a county Human Rights Commission for ordering him to duplicate two pro-homosexual videos produced by a lesbian activist.

Tim Bono and Bono Film and Video, Inc. of Arlington, Va., is challenging the authority of the Arlington County Human Rights Commission, the Arlington County Board and Arlington County.

The controversy began when Tim Bono was contacted by lesbian activist Lilli Vincenz via e-mail to reproduce documentaries entitled "Gay and Proud" and "Second Largest Minority." "

read it all: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=50554

So, once again, the argument that what Tom and Harry and Leslie and Leesa do in the bedroom doesn't affect anyon else bites the dust.

Agenda? What agenda? We ain't got no agenda!

(Pssssst: wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?)
Old 06-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #609
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Dear Inkie, all gay people have not banded together and formed a single, unified agenda when you weren't looking.

There is no gay agenda.

Gay people can have agendas, but there is no "gay" agenda.

Also, I agree with you about Shari'a law.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #610
Gwaimir Windgem

Depends on how you define a gay agenda. If you think it's an agenda which is common to all gay people qua gay people, then no, there certainly isn't. But the phrase "gay agenda" generally means things the accomplishment of which are desired by people who are in general leaning towards the acceptance and whatnot of homosexuality. Using such a meaning, I think that there certainly is a gay agenda, and there is an agenda for pretty well everything. If you don't think that things are at the best they could be, then you should have an agenda in regards to that; it is proper and right.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #611
inked
Elf Lord

Hey,let's out 'em all.......

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...marriage_foes/

Where do I sign up? Do I get a yellow star or a brownshirt or what? Or just the friendly local gay rights squad coming to my home to "discuss" my attitude adjuctment?

Maybe that if this were conservatives getting the list of gay marriage supporters somebody would be claiming victimization, huh?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #612
ElrondAragornGandalf
Sapling

Ex gay petitions congress

The following article is a testimony from an ex-gay who doesn't think he's locked into his lifestyle

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...ers_in_prayer/
ElrondAragornGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #613
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Ex-gay... Funny word.

It's like saying:"Ex-righthanded: I used to be righthanded but *adopts monty python voice* I got better!"
Old 06-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #614
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Ex-gay... Funny word.

It's like saying:"Ex-righthanded: I used to be righthanded but *adopts monty python voice* I got better!"
you're left-handed, aren't you?

i believe that people can change over time, as they live and experience new things. it might also be that the awareness of ourselves grows with experience, and that's why we seem to change..
i think you can realize that you're gay/bi/trans etc after having lead a great deal of your life. if something changes, perhaps it's opinions and prejudices.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #615
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

why not?

or indeed the opposite of ...er... why not?

point is ..that's something you gotta work out for yourself ...

..or not ...

crystal clear.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #616
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
But, it could be that gays have an agenda after all.......

"A film-and-video lab owner has filed suit against a county Human Rights Commission for ordering him to duplicate two pro-homosexual videos produced by a lesbian activist.

Tim Bono and Bono Film and Video, Inc. of Arlington, Va., is challenging the authority of the Arlington County Human Rights Commission, the Arlington County Board and Arlington County.

The controversy began when Tim Bono was contacted by lesbian activist Lilli Vincenz via e-mail to reproduce documentaries entitled "Gay and Proud" and "Second Largest Minority." "

read it all: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=50554

So, once again, the argument that what Tom and Harry and Leslie and Leesa do in the bedroom doesn't affect anyon else bites the dust.

Agenda? What agenda? We ain't got no agenda!

(Pssssst: wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn?)
So, here's what happened next:
Lawsuit by owner against Commission, then, Commission decides it wasn't correct since there was NO conversation about lezzie's sexual orientation - after notifying 5000 media outlets of its first decision. Lawyer still employed.
State Attorney says action would have been illegal under VA law since sexual orientation is not a discriminatory category in law.

Read it all... http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/jun/06061306.html

Nurv, your blindness to the existence and success of the gay agenda doesn't make it less real. I know that every commission in the country routinely notifies 5000 news outlets of its decisions just like in Canada every township has its links to 5000 outlets, right?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #617
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

[Flamebaiting removed]

[EDIT by Eärniel]Lotesse, if you have issues with people, deal with them in PM, not in open forum.[/EDIT]

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Earniel : 06-14-2006 at 03:32 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 AM   #618
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

[EDIT by Eärniel] contents removed. Same as above.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Earniel : 06-14-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 AM   #619
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
you're left-handed, aren't you?
Actually, no. My sister is, despite all the efforts of teachers to make her otherwise.

Quote:
i believe that people can change over time, as they live and experience new things. it might also be that the awareness of ourselves grows with experience, and that's why we seem to change..
i think you can realize that you're gay/bi/trans etc after having lead a great deal of your life. if something changes, perhaps it's opinions and prejudices.
I agree. But since sexuality is such a complex thing I don't think there is something as 'ex-gay'. It strikes me as either you were never actually homosexual to start with or you're just repressing it to be happy and accepted. I doubt homosexuality is curable.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #620
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
[EDIT by Eärniel- contence removed. Same as above

"contence" ???

short for ... prisoner sentence??

... or, er ... contiunued 'encing??

mornin' Earniel!