Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #601
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*snerk* Oh my, Mahtaliel Crow dancing, this ought to be a sight. Gah, mental block due to calculus! *mind bleach*
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #602
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Udu you are so sweet!
I love it how you always explain things nicely for me! Pity, I didn't notice your post earlier... now I've posted my post, entirely with some funny phrases gleaned from Wikipedia! Still if Jas might have to take wine-appreciation classes in future so your Commentary will come in handy, so thanks!

Willow, its first best name actually. And as for asking you to dance... Jas would love to, but he'll only end up saying 'Gah!' again. If Bumbledore helped a little, maybe, but I can't imagine him doing it himself. And shah, I can imagine her quite well actually, cos you know, she's an elf, and even old elves never quite lose youth, do they?

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 10-18-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #603
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

She can likely dance better than I can at any rate.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #604
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

^ thats what i was refering to, I am sure even an old farty elf can dance.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM   #605
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Great posts, Val! Nice how you had the differing customs of how much to drink. And the sword thing - (but no one apparently noticed my Earendil's jewels joke...)
Plus - we should remind everyone that Rian was the first to use the 'mind of its own' in this game - in reference to Khamul's dagger at their first meeting. So I was partly thinking of that when I did my little posts.

What actually inspired me to give the sword some life was Gordis' post about the battle on Orodruin. Just got me to thinking... More on the sword's story later.

Oh - and BB, it's not Narsil. Narsil was Elendil's sword, and was of course broken in combat with Sauron and returned to Valandil by Ohtar. This is Isildur's sword and I'm still working up a name. According to UT, he lay it aside on the east bank of Anduin (along with his armor and some other effects) as he prepared to swim the river. These items were later recovered and served as circumstantial evidence to Isildur's fate. So I think it's very safe to assume that Valandil would have Isildur's sword at this disposal... also that it is still whole, and unbroken.

Double entendre??? Who... ME???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-18-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #606
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Udu you are so sweet!
I love it how you always explain things nicely for me! Pity, I didn't notice your post earlier... now I've posted my post, entirely with some funny phrases gleaned from Wikipedia! Still if Jas might have to take wine-appreciation classes in future so your Commentary will come in handy, so thanks!
Seregoli,

Thank you! I am always glad to be of help if I can be. Here is a good page where you can read about various Anglo-saxon foods: http://www.regia.org/food.htm

Wikipedia is a great source for all kinds of information. Here is what they have on the history of brandy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandy

Brandy was known since Babylonian times. However, brandy as we know it dates from the 12th century, which I consider well within the time frame of LOTR. Of course, though, there is always my own wine cabinet, which is sadly understocked. I intend to remedy that soon, and I might report on some more vintages. Strictly to be of help, of course.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #607
Valandil

Udukhaturz - nice link on the Anglo-Saxon food (along with the other associated pages there).

I tend to think of Tharbad and the rest of southern Arnor having more like French food though - northern Arnor and Vales of Anduin sort of British / German fare, Scandinavian in Dale and Esgaroth areas, Italian in Gondor - with Umbar's food being very like Eastern Mediterranean - while equivalents of Indian and Chinese food might be found in Rhun or Khand - and African-type food in Far Harad.

Of course - that's my own imaginings - and just laying a rough map of Europe over that of Middle Earth.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #608
Valandil

In the Formal Info thread, I have added notations about Estelmo and Oreturion, indicating what is from Tolkien and what is not. I take what Tolkien gives us and rather freely add to it in order to 'flesh it out' - but don't wish to confuse anyone about what was actually set by Tolkien - so I hope that this will help.

I also try not to add anything that contradicts Tolkien... that gets hard at times, partly because he said so much, and partly because he changed his mind on some things himself.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-19-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #609
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OK, I have a few minutes, so .....

Willow - I really like how you've developed the subtle aspects of Mahtaliel's character! It will be interesting to interact with her!

Gordis - The Chancellor and Aiwendis continue to be creepy (Chancellor) and tragic (Aiwendis) - good characters! And thanks for your groundwork with table places, etc. - that's very helpful.

TD - Khamul continues to be a great villain - wonderful posts! I'd hate to meet him in a dark alley

Lotesse - I"m so glad to see Viv join the reception - she's always very lively and interesting! And I love your use of "sotto voce" in the post title - I've always liked that term for some reason. I like how you use those post titles.

Udu - I like your interaction between Maethor and Khamul - lots of sparks flying! He's an interesting character, kind of alternates between laid-back and intense.

BB - I adore Bumble, and all the color you've added to the university - it's really fleshed it out for me. I think my favorite post of the whole RPG was the tortoise/Bumble race!! Great concept

Shah - I really like how you've developed Ray and am so glad to see him at the reception! That will be interesting to see how Ray/Viv develops ...

Earniel - ahh, my favorite fellow-elf I love her humor and how she protects her people. Come on, can't you make it TWO posts a day, just for us? Pretty please?!?!?!

Val - I always enjoy your posts - they're so detailed and thought-out ... and fun! Your character is central to the RPG, and your posts are really giving us good things to work with

CS - More Lilly and Penny! What a pair! Very interesting interactions with Khamul, too - I hope to see more

Gray Wolf - I hope your hand continues to heal well and I love the animals you bring in - keep it up! Rian's horse might have to have a run-in with them ...

and ... our newest player,

Serenoli - Great new character! I love how he forgot the wine and is hoping to keep Bumble going until he remembers! And I like his reaction to Mahtaliel - fun!

*counts up players*

no WONDER I'm having trouble keeping up! I have to keep notes by the computer

Looking forward to tomorrow - I'll have some time, and hope to get a few posts up.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 AM   #610
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Oh yes, I did, Rian . It was a good joke. The problem is that the game moves so fast, there is no time to congratulate the authors on their excellent posts.
thanks I always thought that was a funny figure of speech ...

Yeah, you're right about it moving so fast - I just did a post and there were TWELVE major players!!

Udu - thank you

BB - The jewel post is 263. Is that phrase used on your side of the pond, too? And Rian would love a dance with Bumble!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-19-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 AM   #611
Valandil

Quote:
... That will be interesting to see how Ray/Viv develops ...
I just have a funny feeling that things may not work out too well long-term, between Marty or Ray and their Nazgulettes!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 AM   #612
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Oh, Val, I am laughing so hard it will be the end of me...
A sword of Isildur, indeed!
(EDIT: so we've gone from a form of "You show me yours and I'll show you mine" to "Is that your sword or are you happy to see me?" )

Serves ye right for puttin' me in a position where I HAD to drink the potion!

Oooo... just had a flash-back. Anyone ever see "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye? I just remembered that whole 'chalice from the palace or the pestle with the vessel' or whatever it was!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-19-2005 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:33 AM   #613
Valandil

Quote:
Yeah, you're right about it moving so fast - I just did a post and there were TWELVE major players!!
THIRTEEN! You forgot to say what you like about your own posts!

(and now do we, like Thorin's Dwarves, need a fourteenth to keep our company from being plagued with bad luck?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 10-19-2005, 02:03 AM   #614
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Udu - I like your interaction between Maethor and Khamul - lots of sparks flying! He's an interesting character, kind of alternates between laid-back and intense.
Rian,

Thank you. Udu is both intense and laid-back. He really wants to return to the east, where he has made a home for himself and enjoys a degree of peace. He feels a kinship to the other Nazgûl, but he is very wary of the Black Easterling. An invitation to Orrodel might be viewed by him as some sort of trap set up by Khamul. Wonder what will happen there.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:16 AM   #615
Valandil

TD - just being my picky self as usual... but I saw your post in the Formal Info thread. Only problem was that the Great Plague was 1636 of the Third Age, not the Second Age. You could just leave the year you show (1640 SA) and delete reference to the Plague.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-19-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #616
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Serenoli , a cracker!

firstly i absolutely love the fact that the player playing our Wine appreciation guru has never even tasted a wine!

secondly: SO funny! Jas has forgotten which wine it is! HAH!
nicely in character and an imaginative way round ... you could pretty much be mysterious with the wines all the way through ..YOU are the expert, so cannot be gainsayed.

I also like that when tasting it himself ... he still ain't sure!

So, he is madly in love with Mahtaliel ..? Good stuff ...

let's hope Jas and Bumble are not left with the important task of remembering to lock up!

Willow: good idea ref the numenorean wine ... of course you do not know that jas does not know, nor know to what extent Bumble knows ... as far as you know, jas knows,who knows what bumble knows, and you know Mahtaliel knows ... it may be a numenorean ... but she will still join the guessing game assuming jas knows!

Val ..yeah i am sure you said somewhere twa's your father's sword ... but not Narsil right?

Course, others such as aiwendis and others there may have assumed it was (as i beleive she did??)

UDU come over and join the great wine tasting ...

Rian .. i look forward to the dance later ...will be a slow one though i supsect!

MMM ... Val, a fourteenth player? A veritable Bilbo to our party? Tis a thought ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-19-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #617
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Wait... what was it I knew again?

Glad you like it!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #618
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Thanks, BB and Rian, I'm glad you like my Jas... I was going to start out with a very serious wine-appreciation guru... but somehow, he became funny! And the whole thing where he forgets the name of the wine; was a pure act of desperation on my part, to hide Jas' ignorance of anything wine-related
Good thing we've finally got onto the dancing.. the pie-throwing is next, isn't it? I'm looking forward to it as much as Bumble. Although I do feel rather sorry for the chef

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here

Last edited by Serenoli : 10-19-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #619
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Okay, thanks Val. I'll do required editing.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #620
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:

Gray Wolf - I hope your hand continues to heal well and I love the animals you bring in - keep it up! Rian's horse might have to have a run-in with them ...
Thanks, it does. Doing my exercises and yesterday I went to the hospital and met a Physiopherapist which gave a pair of finger-tensers (to help straighten out the Index and pinkie) which I unfortunately can't wear more than a couple of minutes because the fingers hurt like hell rather soon after put them on.

Well, I'll try and do my best when it comes to the animals.
Closed Thread