Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2003, 08:00 AM   #581
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
JD: it's comments like these that's gonna get your beloved thread closed. Is it even possible for you to debate someone with an opposing opinion without getting personal?
has JD ever heard the expression 'life is not black and white its shades of grey'! I think that pretty much sums up the american aproach to the world these days!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:09 AM   #582
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
JD: it's comments like these that's gonna get your beloved thread closed. Is it even possible for you to debate someone with an opposing opinion without getting personal?
You have nerve talking about bringing personal into it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #583
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
No - you would much rather live in your rose colored world.
JD you have no clue about the world I live in, but if it has to be rose coloured, yeah I'd rather have it a million times over rather than being so arrogant as to assume that I have the power to solve the world's problems by totally ignoring the opinions of others and just buggering ahead with no consideration of the consequences.

Quote:
Are you REALLY this dense? I meant we have retracted statements before when we have found out we were wrong. I was not referring to that particular statement. I guess I really have to spell things out for you to understand.
So you admit that the US government are wrong sometimes? Geez, how 'bout that? Hell, maybe one day they'll admit they were wrong about the entire damned war!

Quote:
Seemed more like a lecture. I guess maybe as you say - it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Wow, again some agreement
Old 04-02-2003, 08:11 AM   #584
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
has JD ever heard the expression 'life is not black and white its shades of grey'! I think that pretty much sums up the american aproach to the world these days!
if you look through past threads - you will see that I have always said that the world is shades of gray and not black and white. It's the people who say that there is never a need for war who live in a black and white world.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #585
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
if you look through past threads - you will see that I have always said that the world is shades of gray and not black and white. It's the people who say that there is never a need for war who live in a black and white world.
ive never said there wasnt a need for war. Second world war was needed. But what i do hold to is that war is a last resort and as stated by many people they dont think that the case as do most governments the American and also the british has been guilty of just decideding war is the only answer
Old 04-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #586
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
JD you have no clue about the world I live in, but if it has to be rose coloured, yeah I'd rather have it a million times over rather than being so arrogant as to assume that I have the power to solve the world's problems by totally ignoring the opinions of others and just buggering ahead with no consideration of the consequences.
Quote:

So you admit that the US government are wrong sometimes? Geez, how 'bout that?
I've always said the US isn't perfect. it's you guys who only want to hear the things you want to hear.
Quote:

Hell, maybe one day they'll admit they were wrong about the entire damned war!
maybe we will. Although - it'll take a lot for this war to be wrong. We'd actually have to lose it. Or the Middle East would have to become completely fall apart. But I don't see how saving millions of Iraqis from torture is going to be wrong or that preventing a regime who has demonstrated that they have NO regard for human life what so ever developing biological and chemical weapons.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:19 AM   #587
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
I've always said the US isn't perfect. it's you guys who only want to hear the things you want to hear.
Yeah - it's a conspiracy
Old 04-02-2003, 08:19 AM   #588
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
ive never said there wasnt a need for war. Second world war was needed. But what i do hold to is that war is a last resort and as stated by many people they dont think that the case as do most governments the American and also the british has been guilty of just decideding war is the only answer
After 12 years of the UN doing nothing. After 17 resolutions. We didn't just decide to go to war. First of all when it was first talked about openly - was after 9/11- then it waiteds for a year, then we went to the UN, then weapons inspectors went (after Hussein first refused). Hussein only complied as we tightened our finger on the trigger.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:28 AM   #589
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
After 12 years of the UN doing nothing. After 17 resolutions. We didn't just decide to go to war. First of all when it was first talked about openly - was after 9/11- then it waiteds for a year, then we went to the UN, then weapons inspectors went (after Hussein first refused). Hussein only complied as we tightened our finger on the trigger.
Yes, but you didn't need to actually pull the trigger

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 AM   #590
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

In my opinion, civilians have no comprehension of the bizarro world of war. I think the arm chair soldiers would behave differently if they were in the battlefield for awhile. Who knows what happened?....The people involved.

There's going to be more death and destruction. That's what it has boiled down to here. (thanks to Sadam Hussein, IMO!) Spend some time trying to imagine you are one of the young soldiers recently sent out to fight, or a person who has lived in fear of being terrorized by the leader of their own country for the past decade. Desperate times, desperate individuals, I really don't enjoy this "what's going on in the battlefield today" detailed anyalisis. If you've got guerrilla warfare tactics going down, wouldn't you be a little "suspicious". Why do the US and British have to play it squeaky clean, yet the Republican guard are fine being orcs? Go get shot at for a couple months, then see how your mind works.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #591
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
In my opinion, civilians have no comprehension of the bizarro world of war. I think the arm chair soldiers would behave differently if they were in the battlefield for awhile. Who knows what happened?....The people involved.

There's going to be more death and destruction. That's what it has boiled down to here. (thanks to Sadam Hussein, IMO!) Spend some time trying to imagine you are one of the young soldiers recently sent out to fight, or a person who has lived in fear of being terrorized by the leader of their own country for the past decade. Desperate times, desperate individuals, I really don't enjoy this "what's going on in the battlefield today" detailed anyalisis. If you've got guerrilla warfare tactics going down, wouldn't you be a little "suspicious". Why do the US and British have to play it squeaky clean, yet the Republican guard are fine being orcs? Go get shot at for a couple months, then see how your mind works.
Very true

Although hypocracy is one of my better talents........I should think twice about using it here..........Gods know I wouldn't be willing to get killed for this cause.

Beatallica
Old 04-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #592
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Yes, but you didn't need to actually pull the trigger
Yes we did - because it's the only thing Hussein understands. Now we'll remove him from power and there will be one less dictator in the world and one less brutal regime.

And yes - I am perfectly aware that we helped him in th 1980's. I am so perfectly aware that the reason we helped him was because of Russia and Iran.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #593
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Although - it'll take a lot for this war to be wrong. We'd actually have to lose it. Or the Middle East would have to become completely fall apart.
If the outcome of this war will be a stable, sound and democratic government of Iraq, within a reasonable amount of time, then I'll say the war has been justified. Though I fear it is a long way to go to get there

If the coalision don't succeed in winning the peace, I'll regret I supported the war. And the Middle-East region will be more explosive than ever.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:36 AM   #594
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Very true

Although hypocracy is one of my better talents........I should think twice about using it here..........Gods know I wouldn't be willing to get killed for this cause.
Why - protecting millions of civlians isn't your thing? I mean there are a THOUSAND reasons why Hussein should go. You can pcik anything - and it's still valid. We went after Meloshevic for much less.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:38 AM   #595
jerseydevil

Well we just took control of Karbala and has been secured.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #596
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra

Liz yer right in many ways...........but imagining it still wouldn't motivate me to believe war is the answer

Quote:
Why - protecting millions of civlians isn't your thing? I mean there are a THOUSAND reasons why Hussein should go. You can pcik anything - and it's still valid. We went after Meloshevic for much less.
Would you take a minute & listen to yourself? Sounds like yer PROUD of these wars?
Old 04-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #597
jerseydevil

Quote:
Liz yer right in many ways...........but imagining it still wouldn't motivate me to believe war is the answer
So you think war is never the answer?
Quote:

Would you take a minute & listen to yourself? Sounds like yer PROUD of these wars?
I do think they were the right thing. Meloshevic was killing 100's of thousands of people. he had concentration camps. Remember - the world declared "never again"? So yes - I think these wars ARE justified. Do I wish there was no war, no poverity - of course I do. But that's not the make believe world we live in. We live in a world where sometimes in order to protect millions - you have to kill a few people.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #598
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
No, because I'm sitting in my nice comfortable house and not risking having my bleedin' head blown off. If I felt strongly enough about it I would've enlisted in the armed forces (obviously).

Beatallica
Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #599
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
JD you have no clue about the world I live in
-pops out of lurking corner-

Not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't understand: Why do you know all about the world he lives in, but he has no clue about yours?

-returns to shadowy corner-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:17 PM   #600
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I have just wasted my entire lunch hour going through the "anti war" thread and this one. The "anti war" thread is now closed. Anymore threads created about the war, will be closed on site. Discussion will only be permitted in one thread about a topic.

I thought it was clear in the opening post of this thread, but appearently not. This is the only time it will be stated again. If you wish to participate in this discussion, then do so without the personal attacks and flames. If there are anymore violations, nomatter how small, this thread will be closed, and there will not be another. I mean it people.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote