Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #581
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

that's ok I have the Tengwar font on my computer at home, I just need to learn how to write that message in Tengwar so I can type it in and print it out...I'm thinking about getting a tatoo!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #582
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
that's ok I have the Tengwar font on my computer at home, I just need to learn how to write that message in Tengwar so I can type it in and print it out...I'm thinking about getting a tatoo!
There are some really nice Tengwar fonts out- Wayfarer had one, methinks. Some of them are a load of bull, however- no vowels and completely off the mark for the consonants. I'm not sure if any font is able to be accurate, tho. Anyone know?

A tattoo? In Tengwar? Gorgeous! Yes, 'I love Feanaro' would look beautiful - I mean, all Tengwar looks great, but some combinations of letters are gorgeous. Like, I wrote my friend's name- and in the WHOLE name, there were just /s/ and /m/ and /n/'s everywhere, with only /e/'s. Boring!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #583
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
There are some really nice Tengwar fonts out- Wayfarer had one, methinks. Some of them are a load of bull, however- no vowels and completely off the mark for the consonants. I'm not sure if any font is able to be accurate, tho. Anyone know?

A tattoo? In Tengwar? Gorgeous! Yes, 'I love Feanaro' would look beautiful - I mean, all Tengwar looks great, but some combinations of letters are gorgeous. Like, I wrote my friend's name- and in the WHOLE name, there were just /s/ and /m/ and /n/'s everywhere, with only /e/'s. Boring!
yeah I know what you mean....I think the most awesome combo is on Sauron's ring!...of course it doesn't say very nice things! My fiance and I are buying our wedding rings off of a tolkien site, and they have a tengwar inscription on the outside of them but the message is in English and it's beautiful.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #584
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
yeah I know what you mean....I think the most awesome combo is on Sauron's ring!...of course it doesn't say very nice things! My fiance and I are buying our wedding rings off of a tolkien site, and they have a tengwar inscription on the outside of them but the message is in English and it's beautiful.
Wow! Be sure to somehow scan the inside of it, so we Mooters can have a crack at translating it!

Congratulations on your engagement! (A bit late- sorry!)
Old 05-30-2003, 10:46 AM   #585
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Wow! Be sure to somehow scan the inside of it, so we Mooters can have a crack at translating it!

Congratulations on your engagement! (A bit late- sorry!)
thank you! actually, it's the outside that had the inscription
here's a picture of it from the website, I'm not sure if you could really translate it or not....it's kinda hard to see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring.jpg (6.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-30-2003, 10:54 AM   #586
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Argh! Wish I could read it! Any other Mooters have any luck? RÃ*an's on now, but I think her eyes are as bad as mine.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:01 PM   #587
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

No, I can't read the ring writing there's too much glare in the picture. If you can copy it out and scan it in and attach it, I could read it, but you prob. know the translation anyway (I mean, it's a wedding ring! I hope you know what's written there! )

Arien, I'll write "I love Feanaro" for you and have it later today, if possible, and if you post what it is in Quenya, I can take a crack at the Quenya mode...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-30-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:08 PM   #588
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
No, I can't read the ring writing there's too much glare in the picture. If you can copy it out and scan it in and attach it, I could read it, but you prob. know the translation anyway (I mean, it's a wedding ring! I hope you know what's written there! )

Arien, I'll write "I love Feanaro" for you and have it later today, if possible, and if you post what it is in Quenya, I can take a crack at the Quenya mode...
thanks! I'll try to translate it to Quenya, but my book is at home, so I will try to do that this weekend.

the ring's inscription is

"One ring to show our love One ring to bind us One ring to seal our love And forever to entwine us."
Old 05-31-2003, 06:59 AM   #589
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:

"One ring to show our love One ring to bind us One ring to seal our love And forever to entwine us."
Wow, that's beautiful! I take it he's a Tolkien fan too? Or have you forced him to endure your Tolkien obsession?
Old 05-31-2003, 01:40 PM   #590
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Wow, that's beautiful! I take it he's a Tolkien fan too? Or have you forced him to endure your Tolkien obsession?
yeah...I drug him into our world! He isn't quite as obsessed as I am but he does like Tolkien's works alot...thaat's always a good thing! I've even managed to persuade him to let me name one of our kids Arien! But he just roles his eyes at me when I say I want to learn how to write in Quenya and English ussing Tengwar
Old 05-31-2003, 01:53 PM   #591
Elf Girl
Lurker

I have compiled some pretty Tengwar learning sheets with the info from Amanye Tenceli. A lot of my friends have them and are learning Tengwar very nicely with them.

If anyone wants them I will email them to the wanters as an attached word document.

(English mode only.)
Old 06-02-2003, 06:05 PM   #592
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

can someone tell me if I wrote this right? it's supposed to say Feanaro, however, I was using the font on my computer, I wasn't actually writing it out....I'll practice that tonight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (9.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-02-2003, 06:17 PM   #593
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*blushes 10 shades of red*

I'm SOOOO sorry, Arien - I really meant to do the Tengwar Saturday night, because my in-laws were SUPPOSED to leave Saturday morning ... but car troubles, illness, etc. has delayed their departure to Tuesday .... I have a sticky note on my computer, but just haven't done it yet. Sorry!

Yes, that says "Feanaro" in the Quenya mode (vowel marks over the preceding consonant).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-02-2003, 07:06 PM   #594
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
*blushes 10 shades of red*

I'm SOOOO sorry, Arien - I really meant to do the Tengwar Saturday night, because my in-laws were SUPPOSED to leave Saturday morning ... but car troubles, illness, etc. has delayed their departure to Tuesday .... I have a sticky note on my computer, but just haven't done it yet. Sorry!

Yes, that says "Feanaro" in the Quenya mode (vowel marks over the preceding consonant).
that's ok! I totally understand! I did this at work todday when I was bored, so see I didn't do what I said I would do this weekend either (which was to look up how to say I love Feanaro in Quenya)
no worries!
Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 AM   #595
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Does anyone, know what the rules are for writing silent "e's" in English using the tengwar? I'm trying to write I love you...also how would you wound out the "o" in love? I was trying to find a correct way of doing it

I think this says "I love" in English using Tengwar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (6.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #596
Rían

JRRT made a few special concessions to some of the oddities of the English language, one of them being the silent 'e' at the end of a word (which usually is just an indicator that the preceding vowel is long - compare "cap" and "cape", for example). A dot UNDER the last consonant indicates a silent 'e'. So take off the last 'e' mark over the carrier, and replace it with a dot under the 'v'.

You're doing great! I would put a space between the "I" and the "L", too.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:13 PM   #597
Ruinel
Banned

Argh! I must get back in here and post some lovely Tengwar with you RÃ*an. I'll make it a point this weekend.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #598
Rían

Good

Old 06-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #599
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
JRRT made a few special concessions to some of the oddities of the English language, one of them being the silent 'e' at the end of a word (which usually is just an indicator that the preceding vowel is long - compare "cap" and "cape", for example). A dot UNDER the last consonant indicates a silent 'e'. So take off the last 'e' mark over the carrier, and replace it with a dot under the 'v'.

You're doing great! I would put a space between the "I" and the "L", too.
thanks! I am embarking on a project to write the Lord's Prayer in Tengwar..when I learn Quenya I would like to translate it and then write it in Quenya using Tengwar
Old 06-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #600
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

ok I have yet another question (don't you guys just love me? ) anywho, what is the proper way to write in English using the Tengwar...is it to sounds out the owrds or is it to spell out the words....for example: as (do you spell it out "az" or "as"?)
also...what would be the correct way to write "us"? again after I get the problem of whether or not to sound out the words or not solved then I can go on my merry way! thanks to all
Closed Thread