Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #581
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Well there it is! My first LLL-post since the 12th of May it seems Good to be back
Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #582
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Welcome back, Coffeehouse!

I see that Quickleaf will be off on another adventure of his own before joining the rest of us. With the precautions Radagast has been taking for the company, I assume that Quickleaf is very wise in not trying to travel on his own, unarmed and without his gear.

Barufiniel has found his cloak - but he won't get it back for a long time yet.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #583
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nice to have you back Quickleaf! I wonder how long he will stay in Dorwinion and what adventures he will have there. Imagine if he only manages to catch up when the rest is on our way back after having found (or given up on) the Entwives.

I can't help it, but I find Aladji's pronunciation of Quickleaf very cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I see that Quickleaf will be off on another adventure of his own before joining the rest of us. With the precautions Radagast has been taking for the company, I assume that Quickleaf is very wise in not trying to travel on his own, unarmed and without his gear.
A lonely traveller would not be regarded as dangerous as our whole troup, but he would no doubt be captured and be brought before the Khan or even the Khagan himself. Let's hope that, if it comes to that, we are far far away north, before he (unwittingly) goes exposing us as adventurers and not entertainers!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #584
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I can't help it, but I find Aladji's pronunciation of Quickleaf very cute.
So do I!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #585
Varnafindë

I've seen what Barufiniel describes in my latest post. It was done in the theatre - and the narrative was Mark's gospel. In full.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #586
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

That sounds...difficult. And very impressive, if it worked well.

I don't quite think we want Branwyn dancing in imitation of Lúthien, though.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #587
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
I don't think Branwyn quite wants to go that far either.

It must have been indeed rather impressive to see someone take on several roles on his own in this manner. Must have been a pain, studying all that text from one single monologue too. I've never seen something similar done myself, except for once, but that involved only short children's stories for a small audience. As for Branwyn, I've just been improvising.

It might be a while before my next reply, I'm leaving tomorrow on a trip and will only return on Monday.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #588
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikanáro View Post
That sounds...difficult. And very impressive, if it worked well.

I fear that Barufiniel would suddenly remember something else that she needed to do immediately, somewhere far away, if Branwyn began to do that

Earniel, are they finished for tonight so Baru can be approached by someone else (in case she is)? They will do their act the next day when you're back.

And the recitation with playing of Mark's gospel worked very well and really was impressive. The actor wanted to try it, and the manager of the theatre allowed him to, and they expected that he might play it for two or three matinees. Instead it was a massive success and was running as ordinary evening performances for months.

It was very minimalistic. The actor was wearing black trousers and a black jumper, and the only props he used was a chair and a candle - which he blew out when he told about the death of Jesus, and lit again when he told about the resurrection. And after all his antics - when he reached the Passion story, he played it completely down, and read it all just standing straight up and down, not even making gestures with his hands. The contrast made it very powerful.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #589
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Earniel, are they finished for tonight so Baru can be approached by someone else (in case she is)? They will do their act the next day when you're back.
Sure, you can wrap up the conversation for now if you like. I don't think Branwyn has any other relevant information to impart, and maybe it's time for him to go off and practise his lines any way.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #590
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

sorry ive not been around for a while when i said i wouls post was in disseration hell! but i see the light now so its all good until i reach the mext part of it! all post today! welcome back coffeehouse!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #591
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Hi, Feawen! Don't worry, just post when you can, there's plenty of time for Nami's act. I hope you're having a good summer, apart from the - ness of dissertation-writing.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #592
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

thanks! im trying to to chatch up with the story at the moment just got to the end of the game! it sounds like it should be a film about some serdicical mad game where people fight to the death! will post hopefully by the end of the day. back to disseration -ness! lol as for having a good summer its rained every day ive been off work and its sunny when im at work. summer sucks! lol
Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #593
Varnafindë

Great fun, feawen!

"faking a near fall" indeed

Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #594
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Geez, people! I can't get caught up anywhere! It's really difficult to read both of these because they're intertwined. And it seems like a lot of the LLL thread I don't necessarily NEED to read (not to impugn the content of some of the posts) because some of it is, as was said earlier in this thread, "small talk".
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #595
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
And it seems like a lot of the LLL thread I don't necessarily NEED to read (not to impugn the content of some of the posts) because some of it is, as was said earlier in this thread, "small talk".
A lot of it is only for characters getting to know each other, not to move the plot forwards (which we didn't want to do over the holidays).

So if you're reading to see what you should do next, there's a lot you can skip for now - and come back to reading later at some point when you want to read some good literature

Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #596
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feawen View Post
sorry ive not been around for a while when i said i wouls post was in disseration hell! but i see the light now so its all good until i reach the mext part of it! all post today! welcome back coffeehouse!
Don't worry about not being able to be around all the time. I'm sure disseration hell is very time-consuming so we're happy to have you around when you've got a bit of spare time! I liked Nami's act, boy, those Ultai are really getting spoilt. I wonder if this Celebration will be as memorable as Bilbo's last birthday party was for the hobbits!

Quote:
Geez, people! I can't get caught up anywhere! It's really difficult to read both of these because they're intertwined. And it seems like a lot of the LLL thread I don't necessarily NEED to read (not to impugn the content of some of the posts) because some of it is, as was said earlier in this thread, "small talk".
The discussion thread is not really necessary to read in full either, I think. But we did do a great deal of talking in the RPG since your last visit. (As Varna said, currently we've put the plot on hold until september so that everyone has time to see to their holidays and dissertations without missing important events.) If you like, I could give you a short resume of events if you can tell me up to where you left off.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #597
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Well. I'm not sure I want to be as "full-time" as I was. Feel free to use Aerin and Magor wherever you wish. Perhaps Magor and Aelfwine can do a bit of a horse-show, seeing as how they're both horse-people. Incidentally, how long are you going to be at the Celebration of the Ultai?

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #598
Earniel

Quote:
Well. I'm not sure I want to be as "full-time" as I was.
The time you spend on line is after all entirely up to you. We're all aware that internet fora and school/work is not always easy to juggle. If 'full-time' is too demanding we'll be happy to have you part-time, or quarter-time or sometime.

Quote:
Incidentally, how long are you going to be at the Celebration of the Ultai?
In game, about a week. In RL, we'll keep at it until the end of the month, and then we'll start moving plot-wise again.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #599
Midge
Faithful Gardener

What kind of entertainment might the Ents do? Surely they'll be good-natured enough to help out and they would more than likely be a big hit. As an idea, if they put in an appearance, who's to say they might not spark memories of old legends of other walking trees in the Ultai? After all, as far as we know, the Entwives did pass this way. I just can't think of anything they might do... maybe they could juggle elves. =D Goodness knows we've got plenty hanging around us.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #600
Earniel

The idea that I originally had in mind for the Ents was mostly a show of strength. Maybe lift/throw a couple of huge boulders like they did during the river-raid, pulverise rock (maybe more a trick for Earthshaker), carry a dozen or so kids around the camp (would be something Blossom might enjoy doing), that sort of thing.

They're pretty hard to miss, so if the Ultai have any ancient stories about them, the tongues should already be wagging, regardless of the act they'll put on later. Personally I don't think the Ultai would remember the Ent-wives, they passed almost an entire age ago and it's hard to say whether the Ultai already existed as a people in these territories back then.