Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #581
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It’s interesting to see how much the debate on abortion differs between the US and say Europe.

Since 1973 when abortion became legal in USA, about 70 countries have liberalised or legalised abortion. In most cases, after all the pros and cons had been ventilated and both sides had had their says, there was a parliamentary voting or referendum on the matter and afterwards the question of abortion was settled, basically for good. This is how things are normally handled in democracies - a decision is made and the case is then dismissed. Why this isn’t the case in the US, I think is because of the Constitution.

Despite its age, the Constitution plays such an important role in American politics in ways that are hardly seen in any other country. The Constitution is almost sacred. As a result, the legal status of abortion is not up to the public to decide. In western Europe, abortion has gained legitimacy after parliamentary majority decisions but in America, the right to abortion in America is a decision based on an interpretation of the Constitution – an interpretation that can be drawn differently, by other judges in the Supreme Court in the future. So the abortion debate never dies.

In a deeply religious America, moral questions never gets technical as they tend to in Europe. Americans debate fundamental things in life much more extensively than in Europe, which is why abortion can never become a health issue in the US. Abortion becomes a question of “the right to life” or “the right to choose” and the life & death aspect is maybe the most fundamental question of all. This could be one explanation why a majority of the Americans are against abortion.

By the way, I am NOT badmouthing the Constitution if anyone thought so
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #582
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

An interesting post, Jonathon. I agree completely, and I'm very glad that our response to the issue differs from Europe's in the ways you mention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
It's curious but I can't help but wonder whether, supposing men were able to get pregnant too, I would have less men telling me what is right or wrong to do with one cell (and whatever develops from it) in my own body.
Probably true. People tend to do what's best for them or makes them feel the most comfortable a lot, and people like the easy route. So I bet that if the issue actually involved their bodies, many men would react selfishly, just as many women do.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 09-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #583
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Not so much because of the Bible, as because of the tradition of the Church. Certain texts do support the ban on contraception, but not enough to extrapolate it from them. It is a matter of the continuous teaching of the Church.

There is logic behind it, but I don't have time to go into it now. Remind me later.
Do you feel like going into that now? I'm interested in what you have to say.

Also, what you and Lief said earlier in the thread got me thinking a lot about my own beliefs.

I realise that I do not think a foetus is a person. I see them as part of the woman's body that has a functioning brain and human DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
An interesting post, Jonathon.
One letter away from Jonathong.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #584
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I realise that I do not think a foetus is a person. I see them as part of the woman's body that has a functioning brain and human DNA.
All because of the umbilical cord? Why in the world do you place so much significance on that cord? It just provides life support- that's all. If the foetus is thinking and feeling, it is automatically its own person. Even if it has a biological construct attaching it to the mother and providing automatic life support.
Quote:
One letter away from Jonathong.
Oops . . . I'll have to watch me spellin' .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #585
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
All because of the umbilical cord? Why in the world do you place so much significance on that cord? It just provides life support- that's all. If the foetus is thinking and feeling, it is automatically its own person. Even if it has a biological construct attaching it to the mother and providing automatic life support.
The umbilical cord and the womb are very, very important, thus the significance I place on it.

The way I see it, personhood is granted upon birth.

I'm not attacking your own view, just defending mine here.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 09-25-2006, 10:21 AM   #586
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:

Excuse me but there I think there may be a small problem with that. You see if personhood begins at birth then the defining characteristic of personhood is location. Inside the womb it a nothing outside it's a person; but the human fetus can live outside the womb up to five months premature is the baby human then? Location is not the variable that determines personhood if it were, our rights would change when we went from the living room to the kitchen.

There are other variables; Size, level of development, and degree of dependence; none of those factors are defining characteristics of humans thus are not reasons to kill a human fetus.

"Human Fetus" it is in the very semantics of the debate; what can we call this fetus? it can only be called a "human fetus" not because thats what it will become but because thats what it is.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #587
Jonathan

Let's also reflect on the semantics of the word "personhood", for the sake of further discussion. Can a fetus develop a personhood at all without seeing, smelling or in any way directly experiencing the outside world? If one doesn't think so, location would be much less of a defining characteristic.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #588
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
The umbilical cord and the womb are very, very important, thus the significance I place on it.

[. . .]

I'm not attacking your own view, just defending mine here.
I know, I'm on the offensive. I don't see anything wrong with attacking anyone else's view, myself . It challenges both myself and the other person, which might cause one of us to learn something.

Why do you say that umbilical cord and the womb are so critically important? To the foetus, the umbilical cord is just life support and the womb is just a location.
Quote:
Then abortion at any point up to birth is valid, since you're not killing a person, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Let's also reflect on the semantics of the word "personhood", for the sake of further discussion. Can a fetus develop a personhood at all without seeing, smelling or in any way directly experiencing the outside world? If one doesn't think so, location would be much less of a defining characteristic.
Why does the foetus' capability of experiencing the "outside world" make such a difference? It can experience life inside the womb. That's just another location in the world.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #589
Jonathan

Quote:
Why do you say that umbilical cord ... [is] so critically important? To the foetus, the umbilical cord is just life support...
Lol

Quote:
Why does the foetus' capability of experiencing the "outside world" make such a difference? It can experience life inside the womb. That's just another location in the world.
I simply stated that one's personal idea of "personhood" can play a role in the debate.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #590
rohirrim TR

Quote:
That would make the sinlgle defining characteristic 'level of awareness'; I don't see how that would determine humanity or non-humanity after all some people know very little outside of their primitive existence (like an african tribe for instance) they haven't experienced the modern technology and what not that we in Wester civ have but they are just as human.
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #591
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Darth Rohirrous! You're back!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #592
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Oops . . . I'll have to watch me spellin' .
Indeed... You missed a letter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Now, THIS is an interesting discussion, and one that could actually make some headway. What does it mean to be a person, and why do you say that?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #593
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Darth Rohirrous! You're back!
for a while at least
how are ya hectorous?
Quote:
Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #594
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
for a while at least
how are ya hectorous?
Doing what we line of Great Darths do best...calling up political revolutions

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #595
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Doing what we line of Great Darths do best...calling up political revolutions
Revolutins yes *snaps fingers and watches force lightning sizzle* wait you're already the president
Quote:
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #596
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Lol
Lol!

Quote:
I simply stated that one's personal idea of "personhood" can play a role in the debate.
Ah, well in that case I agree.
Quote:
Indeed... You missed a letter!
Darn, my bad . . . or maybe you[']r[e] bad?

Quote:
Now, THIS is an interesting discussion, and one that could actually make some headway. What does it mean to be a person, and why do you say that?
Yes, definitely is an important issue. Though I have my doubts that anything will ever make any headway with anyone . It still can be fun to argue it, though, and useful for gaining new insight and knowledge.

My time on Entmoot has gotten me cynical .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-26-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #597
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree that it's okay to be on the offensive. I just didn't want to take on two roles of attacking and defending. Anyways.

Quote:
Then abortion at any point up to birth is valid, since you're not killing a person, right?
Ah, now you've entered the grey area.

It's the grey area... I got nothin'. There are some areas of this debate where I have not made up my mind.

I feel by the third trimester it's too late to have an abortion, but why? I don't know. Maybe third trimester abortions would be too unacceptable to society, and not having them is a good comprimise. (Or at least, the closest thing to a comprimise that pro-life and pro-choice will ever see, I imagine.)

As for my own personal views? True, I don't see a third trimester abortion as killing a person, but I don't agree with them either. It is, like I said, in the grey area that I can't defend.
Quote:
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #598
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Darn, my bad . . . or maybe you[']r[e] bad?
Can't they both be right?

Anyway, I'm really interested in this personhood question. Anyone want to throw out something?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #599
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'll have a go...

IMO, these are the criteria for personhood:

1. Have human DNA
2. Be born
3. Possess a mind

(Because of 3, Siamese twins are two people, because they both have minds.)
Quote:
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #600
Gwaimir Windgem

1) Define "mind".
2) What is your reason for defining personhood thus? It seems to be more of a nominal definiton; what I'm looking for is, "What is the very essence, the form, the 'what it is to be this thing', of personhood? What actually makes it so? And let us not only look into the quia, that it is, but also ask after the propter quid, on account of what it is so; for it seems that we cannot give with anything approaching certainty an answer without a cause.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Closed Thread