Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 AM   #581
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Scars grabbed the ring again and putting it on his right "ring"-claw he disappeared again. Then they heard his voice, but it had attained an eerie sound.

"Lo! I'm all powerful! Nobody can defeat me! Ha Ha!"
Old 11-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #582
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Valandil's face lit up as he began, "Aiwen..." and then he regained his composure.

"Good afternoon Lady Aiwendis," he resumed, bowing ever so slightly. "Master Raendil and I were just headed for a riverfront place we frequent, called The Red Herring. Would you care to accompany us there?"

Wow... how uncanny. He had JUST been thinking about her, and then she appeared before his eyes. Valandil wondered briefly, with amusement, if his growing mental powers had summoned her before himself. Still, he had to watch what he said - he had begun to address her quite informally - and had nearly admitted that he had just been thinking of her. Such candor might put a fine young lady as herself off. And was it too forward to invite her along? After all, she was not just any other coed student.

Aiwendis curtseyed again and replied, "Forgive me, Your Highness, but my father expects me and I am late even as we speak."

After a cordial exchange of farewells, Aiwendis turned and departed, rather hurriedly. Valandil watched her go, admiring her graceful form, until she had passed from view. Then he and Ray continued walking toward their destination, more slowly this time.

"Nice young lady, that Aiwendis," said Valandil.

"Yeah... I guess so," replied Ray, after a pause, his own thoughts turning to Viv.

"Say - isn't there to be a bonfire Friday night? As a rally for this Saturday's rochdol game?" asked Valandil.

"Er... yeah, I guess so."

Valandil kept the rest of that line of thinking to himself. He always liked bonfires. He wondered if Aiwendis... LADY Aiwendis, he reminded himself, liked bonfires...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 11-28-2005 at 10:26 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #583
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Monday afternoon, outside of Itazel and Danor's house

"Wait a moment, you misunderstand my silence," Alagos said to Eärniel, laying a hand on her shoulder as she started to move away. She turned and faced him, but not with her eyes - she felt that she had perhaps spoken too frankly to him, and from sad experience knew that many people did not appreciate this quality in her.

He waited a moment in silence until she finally looked up and met his eyes. "I appreciate your frankness," he said, "it's something I admire and appreciate, and all too often find sadly lacking in others." Eärniel's eyebrow raised slightly - she was not used to this type of reaction when she spoke frankly. Most people just got mad, or avoided her.

He continued. "There is a proverb among my father's people - 'speak the truth in love' - some people, who are rude, or worse, do the first but not the second, while others think love means only speaking soft, pretty things, and don't realize that real love requires more than that. You spoke well, and I know you love my sister, and I think I would like to tell you a few things, if you would consent to listen."

Eärniel nodded, although she knew she had not spoken entirely in love; the (what she had considered) arrogance and insensitivity of the men in their dealings with RÃ*an had definitely irritated her. But she was true-hearted and fair, and wanted to hear what he had to say.

Alagos continued. "I was silent not from anger, but from..." he paused, searching for a word, then gave up and started over. "I didn't quite know how much to tell you," he began again. "But as to the first part, giving permission for Tyaron to court her is not the same as telling her to marry him, which I would never do."

He looked away for a moment, then back at her upturned face. "You see," he said softly, "from an early age, I knew that I would soon take the place of her father, for he was not of the Eldar, and would leave us all too soon. Perhaps this made me err in some of my decisions, perhaps not, for I am only her brother and not her father. I don't know. I only know that my motives were right, for I love her dearly."

A half-smile crossed his face. "Looking back, I can see that you were right; we were indeed hasty! But a passionate heart like Tyaron's is not always wise or patient where love is concerned, and he has been patient for many years." He grinned, then leaned in and said in a conspiratorial whisper, "And remember, he's a swordsman - they're not exactly known for their finesse!" (Actually, Tyaron had great finesse in his swordsmanship, and Alagos knew and admired this, but it was of a different type than the finesse of the archers, and he loved to tease.)

Eärniel smiled, and wondered what those mysterious sayings were about swordsmen and archers, but then returned her attention to Alagos, who had started speaking again.

"And Eärniel, I don't think you know something that I do know, for Tyaron has told me everything that happened between them, thinking that I should know, as her brother, for he is going to stop letting her have her way uncontested." He paused again, then said quietly, "I don't think you know everything she said to him, for I don't think she knows everything she said to him. While he was holding her and singing to her, she said some things that came from deep places in her heart, for they came with tears, yet he doesn't think she even knew she was saying them, for she was in great distress. Or if she did know and remember, she doesn't want to remember now, and this is not right - I agree with Tyaron that these things should not be ignored any longer - they must be dealt with, for her own good, for it is not healthy to keep things in the dark. I won't tell you the words she spoke, but I will tell you that he did not act as he did completely without reason."

Eärniel nodded, a thoughtful look on her face.

"And even if we did err, you can fault us for lack of intelligence or tact, but not for lack of love."

Eärniel thought for a moment, then answered frankly, "I see. I understand a little more now, although I still don't think you two chose the best course."

"I don't think there's always a "best" course - many streams feed a river - although I think there is always a "best" motive," Alagos replied.

Eärniel pondered this a moment, but had to stop, for Alagos was speaking again.

"As to your second subject - I will be frank with you, too, and know that I am speaking with love, although it may sound harsh. Frankly, I don't think apprehension over marriage with a Pereldar comes from the motive that you say. I think it comes from a lack of courage - a lack of courage to face the unknown. I love the Eldar, and consider them to be my people, if I have a people - but like the Secondborn, they have weaknesses, too, and one of them is a longing for things to stay the same. And in that respect, marriage with a Pereldar is risky business, for it is not comfortable, known territory. But love is a poor thing, in my opinion, if its greatest goal is comfort. My parents certainly considered their love more important than their comfort. Their marriage was a beautiful, strong, wondrous thing - but it was not always comfortable! Often, it was very complex. But it was worth it, in their opinion and in mine, and in RÃ*an's, although she doesn't often speak of it, except to me, because it pains her tender heart."

"And RÃ*an is a true child of that marriage. Unfortunately for her - or perhaps fortunately, for things are not always as they seem, and there is great strength in weakness - most of the complexities of the marriage seem to have come out in her. I haven't had much trouble integrating my heritage into my life, except when it comes to my own marriage, but after all these years, she is still trying to deal with it. Of course," he added with a twinkle in his eyes, "men are such simple creatures that perhaps it's from sheer stupidity, but I just don't seem to have the issues with it that she does." He looked at Eärniel with a laugh and a challenge in his eyes, having overheard what some women (who have such little imagination that they can only see things from their own perspective) say about men, but her face didn't give anything away, although he thought he detected a slight smile.

"You see, I found out early that I didn't have the physical stamina of the children of the Eldar, but I didn't fight against it. I embraced it as a part of who I was, and found strength in it, for when I had to stop as they ran on, I learned to look and listen in ways that they didn't. And that "weakness" has given me the skill that has enabled me to win many an archery competition, to the chagrin of some of those who mocked me!" he added with an ironic laugh. "But RÃ*an fights what she thinks are her weaknesses from her human side, instead of embracing it as who she is and looking for the strengths in it."

He paused, but Eärniel didn't seem inclined to respond, although she seemed to be thinking about what he had said.

"And speaking of being Pereldar, frankly, your idea that I would even consider to choose to be of a people different from my spouse mystifies me," he added, a frown now furrowing his brow. "To me, and to RÃ*an - and I thought to the Eldar, marriage is the making of one out of two - not the losing of the individuals into the one, but the making of a new creation where they are both one and yet also themselves. And it would be inconceiveable to me to make my choice in any way that would separate me from my wife. My choice as a Pereldar would be made along with my marriage vows, and they are both irrevocable."

"No, Eärniel, I think you are wrong, for they never even asked about my choice of people - they just quietly withdrew in a thousand subtle but definite ways - they never had the frankness that you had with me. And for that reason, I'm glad that I didn't marry them now, although my heart longs to love and be loved in a marriage." He paused for a moment, and then said firmly, "But not all women lack courage - my mother certainly didn't - and I have not yet despaired of all hope in that regard."

He looked at her - she was looking thoughtfully at the children, but he didn't think she was seeing them - then he looked away. "And I think what you say is right - that if one truly loves someone, even a short period of time together is better than nothing..."

He paused, then said with a slight smile, "And you are right in another thing, too - we are VERY late! But I don't think RÃ*an will mind." He sighed heavily. "She's probably picking out some things to braid into my hair."

Eärniel laughed, and they set out together to meet RÃ*an.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 11-28-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #584
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Monday - 1:30pm

Mahtaliel watched the man leave, feeling rather exasperated. She had a feeling that the Chancellor had sent this scholar her way entirely out of spite, it was well within his power to have granted the man's request and there was really no reason for him not to have done so. There were plenty of other students who were admitted with scholarships, or who had found jobs in the city and were working in between classes.

As for the man's story about why he had been following her... and it had been following, she was sure she had felt him search for her mentally, the whole thing gave her a sense of unease.

She would help him, yes, but she would also keep an eye on him.

When she was sure he had gone she left the ally and continued on her way. It didn't take her long to reach the school building. She knocked on the door and waited, sometimes it took a bit for anyone to answer, young children could be most distracting...

"Coming!" Fionne's voice floated through the wood. Seconds later, the door opened, revealing a pleasent faced women of about thirty, practically dressed and holding a small boy by the hand, "There you are, Professor! We were beginning to think you'd got waylaid."

"Not too far off, dear." Mahtaliel said, smiling, "I tell you about it later. Has the morning gone all right?"

"Peachy," Fionne answered, "This year's little ones are an energetic lot. Ignatius has them out in the courtyard running around, I think he's hoping to get them tired enough for a nap later. The older kids are being helpful though. Setting a good example, not causing extra trouble an' all that- I expect they're saving it up."

"They usually are, here, I brought lunch for us."

"Thanks. Mind if Arto joins us?" Fionne asked, pulling out chairs for the three of them and sitting down, "He's a little small to be playing with the others, doesn't take well to playing rough."

"Not at all," Mahtaliel nodded to the boy as she began setting out their meal, "Has he eaten yet? There's plenty."
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #585
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Disentangling his thoughts of Viv, the race, the impending dance, Manwe willing we are not all that loaded down tonight Raendil's mind brought his schedule to attention.

"Oh crap!"

"What? What's the matter?" Valandil was used to swearing by now, but was startled none the less at his friend's outburst.

"Crimmany, sorry Val, but I gotta dash! My swordsmithing is about to start! I'll meet you later today!"

"Well go, lead legs! And try to beat the Remaking!" Valandil laughed as Ray flat out ran, no dignity whatsoever, to his other class, fortunatly not having to change cloths.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 11-30-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #586
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Monday Afternoon - Just before 3:00pm

Back at the University Mahtaliel began heating the forge in preparation for her next class. Sword-Smithing was one of her favorite classes to teach. It was a very practical class and with a good, long block of time and just two students this year they would be able to take their time. Depending on how much the students came into the class knowing, they might be able to tackle a larger project than just practice swords.

She was just pulling out the metal samples when someone knocked on the door. "Come in!" She called.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 11-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #587
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

At the Singing Swan with Buzukhumarz and Lilaenwen, and Professor Bumbledore

Monday early evening, around 5:30 - 6:00

As Udu took his leave of the Swan, Buz kissed the top of Lilly's head and gave her a gentle little side-hug where they sat, and took a casual swig of his brandy. Lilly was pleased to be cuddled next to her Buz.

"If you'll excuse me for a moment," said Bumble, slightly bowing to the seated Pengolod and Lilaewen, and holding onto the side of the table to prevent himself from stumbling, "but I must repair for a moment to the gentlemen's room."

Leaning his head in close to Lilly's soft face, Buz spoke very low, and did his best gentle-but-firm voice as he spoke with his Lilaenwen.

"Lil, however mean Udu might have been to you, my sweetie, I know you well enough to know that you may have provoked him to nastiness."

"But - I didn't do ANYthing wrong! I was only playing! It's not fair; how come I always get in trouble and everyone else comes out smelling like a rose!" Obligatory tiny tears began to tremble on her blonde eyelashes, and her little lips were pursed in a perfectly bow-shaped pout.

"O.K., O.K., there, there," said Buz, smoothing her hair, and comforting her. "Well, what say we finish up here and head on home for a bit, yes? Wouldn't you like a nice supper and wine, just the two of us, for a little while?"

Lil sniffed, and looked up at him with the cutest childlike expression, and nodded.

Buz motioned to the server, paid up the tab, and graciously thanked the establishment's owner. When Bumble came back to the table, he insisted on helping with the bill, but Pengolod would hear nothing of it.

"You've entertained and cared for my little sister, and shown her a pleasant time. The least I can do is return the favour a bit by taking care of the cost of your afternoon!" Professor Bumbledore didn't argue; after all, it HAD been a fairly hefty tab.
"It's been great to see you!" Buz continued. "And I hope soon we can all have a chance to spend more time together, eating and drinking at greater length, and when my sister isn't feeling so delicate."

"To be sure, to be sure," said the jovial Professor, as the two men shook hands.

"Goodbye, Mr. Bumbledore!" cried Lilly at the retreating figure.

Buz retrieved Lilly's gorgeous new coat and put it on her, and guided his "sister" out of the Swan. Together they walked casually back to Orrodel House, his arm over her shoulders so as to not appear too incestuously friendly in public. All things considerd, it was a successful conclusion to an interesting day. Any day in which Lilly did not cause monumental irreversible problems was a successful day! And finally, they were looking forward to a little private time together, in the safety of Orrodel House, sans Khamul and sans elves.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-29-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #588
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Mind reading

University, after 3 PM, Monday.

Aiwendis entered the Engineering building almost at a run, and slammed the door behind her. Her heart was pounding and her cheeks aflame. To face the Morgul Lord, disturbed in this way, was foolish. She would have returned to the Palace, but Valandil had followed her with his eyes all the way to the door. And now it was too late for escape: she knew that the Captain was already aware of her presence.

She rested for some minutes, her back to the door, trying to put her disturbed mind in order. She whispered a strong calming spell and a mind-shielding spell. She supposed it were futile: there was no way she could hide her trouble from her Lord. But some thoughts she wanted to keep secret at all costs.

It was time to go. Aiwendis drifted unerringly towards the powerful presence she sensed in the building. The Captain stood in the middle of the long gallery near his own old ship Azrîyakhôr "The Lord of the Seas". But he was not looking at the proud black and silver ship; he was looking at her. Aiwendis approached and bowed "My Lord…"

"Here you are at last, Aiwendis," the Morgul Lord said evenly. ""What kept you so long at the entrance?"

"I … tried to think what I was going to tell you". It sounded lame.

The Chancellor arched his brows. "So, what have you finally come up with?"
Aiwendis’s heart was pounding again. "I have met Valandil some minutes ago, my Lord. He was talking with his friend. He asked me to come to Red Herring with him, but I declined. Have I done well?"

"You know the answer yourself. Continue".

Indeed she did. It was not seemly for a young lady to go around with two men whom she had met a day before.

"The King…he was glad to meet me. He almost called me "Aiwendis", but then thought better of it and added "Lady". It seems that the potion works." Aiwendis hung her head at a loss for words, blushing.

"Why was the King feeling so unwell after your potion?"

"I.. I don’t know. I haven’t noticed," she muttered, her eyes firmly on the floor-tiles.

She heard his footsteps on the stone floor. A cold hand lifted her chin, forcing her to look up into the Morgul Lord’s cold silver eyes, piercing her very soul like the eyes of a dragon. She stood there entranced, feeling the impact of a powerful will on her mind-shield. She knew resistance was futile, but still she held on. Suddenly pain shot through her brain, and she let go, her defences melting and breaking into tiny fragments, sharp as icicles. Aiwendis moaned softly, her wide-open eyes filling with tears. Disoriented, she clutched the Morgul lord’s forearms to keep her balance.

Unresisting now, she felt her mind being searched thoroughly. Her brain operated without her own volition, remembering and exposing things now forgotten. She saw again, how she prepared the potion in the Library vaults, recalled her dance in a moonlit garden, moved to the Reception, to the Dance with the King, felt again the warmth of his hands and gaze, recalled her feverish dreams thereafter…

Bright pictures flashed before her unseeing eyes: the fairy night, Orrodel, her bitterness at the fellow nazgul, the morning, her thoughts of poisoning Mahtaliel, the jewelry-making lesson, and, finally, her meeting with the King. To her surprise, the lesson and the meeting she recalled in great detail, hearing again every word uttered by Mahtaliel or Valandil. She saw briefly her recent trouble near the entrance door, then, suddenly, she resurfaced from the sea of memories. She blinked, and found herself standing in the Gallery looking into the Captain’s eyes.

Her head spun, and she would have fallen, if he hadn’t taken her in his arms. He placed his hand on her forehead and chanted a spell in Adunaic. The humming in her ears subsided, and her eyes cleared. She looked up again and found him smiling not unkindly.

"You are such a fool, Gordie. You get worried for so little and forget to report important things, like Valandil’s words about the fleet."

He wiped the tears from her cheeks with his finger and continued softly "It is understandable that you are troubled. Don’t you know that every spell affects the spell-caster in some way, as well as the victim? That is the price we pay for magick. Don’t feel so guilty, Aiwendis, your feelings will help you to ensnare the King and make your marriage bearable."
He smiled at her again "And never try to hide your thoughts from me, little one. I don’t want to hurt you…"

She buried her face in the soft tissue of his tunic and rested in the circle of his arms, cosy and warm now. She wished she could stay there forever…

Last edited by Gordis : 11-29-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM   #589
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Monday Afternoon
Somewhere in Tharbad

Alagos and Eärniel didn't speak anymore of the Pereldar topic as they walked back to the place where they would meet back up with RÃ*an. Yet the topic was not far out of their thoughts.

Eärniel had not interrupted Alagos earlier to give him the opportunity to explain his thoughts on the matter without interruption, just as he had moments before courtiously given her. She had not interrupted him when he had told her -quite frankly- that she had been wrong, even if she was still of another opinion in the matter!

Eärniel smiled faintly at the thought. She respected Alagos opinion but decided she would not bring the matter up again. Alagos had spoken like a true warrior about courage and weaknesses, but not all Elves had the minds of warriors, Eärniel knew.

She did not assume she knew what the real causes had been for his misadventure with women. But she guessed she knew more about the Pereldar than Alagos assumed, for Alagos and RÃ*an had hardly been the only ones of mixed marriages whom Eärniel had counted among her acquintances in her youth.

Perhaps she could never know or understand fully how the Pereldar thought or felt, but she was sure she knew enough in which ways the full-blooded Elder responded to them, having been in that same position.

But ah, who can tell which one of us hits closest to the thruth? She thought somewhat amused. And does it really matters now? Time will tell, as it always will. And for the moment time is something we have enough of.

She only hoped that Alagos and Tyaron would show more patience in the matters relating to RÃ*an, which had been her main concern into this discussion.

Turning another corner, the two Elve caught sight of RÃ*an who had, astonishingly, arrived first at the rendez-vous point.

"Found what you were looking for, RÃ*an?" Eärniel asked.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #590
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an smiled shyly. "Yes, I found some things I ... thought might look nice in my brother's hair, if he'll let me ..."

Alagos wrapped his arms around his sister, lifted her up off her feet and swung her around in a circle. Setting her down again, he asked her, "Whatcha got there?" and feigned interest in her purchases.

"Well, this is for Gondolin, and this is for our house, and this is for the Nirnaeth, and this is for Fingon, and this is for archery," she said as she indicated the various pieces she had picked out. "We don't have to do all of them..." she hastened to add.

"I like those - thank you for thinking of me," he told her. "Is after dinner OK with you?"

RÃ*an looked over at Eärniel in amazement. Eärniel shrugged her shoulders with a "I have NO idea!" look on her face. But she was pleased that Alagos had apparently taken at least some of what she had said to heart.

"Yes, that would be fine - I'll be as quick as I can," RÃ*an told her brother.

"Ah well, my blades need sharpening anyway," he lied, and offering his arms to the ladies, he escorted them to the University.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #591
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viv and Ray's After School Picnic - 1-2 PMish, Monday

After jewelry-making class, Raendil and Viniglaen decided to enjoy a long, leisurely picnic lunch out on the grassy knoll of the Art Museum park grounds. They ate smoked eels, roasted quail legs and fresh loaves of bread, seeded crackers, three bottles of Linhir Red '34 that they'd picked up at the Tharbad Wine & Spirits shop, a little basket of blueberries, and some pomegranates which they had tons of fun making a mess with and spitting little seeds at each other, plus four small blocklettes of cheese, and an apricot tart - needless to say, they were very sated after this lunch!

They talked about all kinds of things. They talked about where they wished they could visit someday, what they would make if they had the freedom and money to be able to create anything, what their mothers were like - but this topic got Viniglaen a little quiet, and very sad, so they didn't go there for long. Vivvie's own mom had died of unnatural causes when Viv was only eleven years old; her father died of what Viv liked to believe a broken heart a short two years afterward, leaving her having to raise herself early in Andunie, a place she could not yet speak of to Ray about. The subject of her mortal parents and her true origins was one she never let herself think of, never mind talk about. For now, Viv stuck to her cover story of having grown up in Osgiliath, and pretty much left it at that. The mere fact that she could even open up to Ray at all in that vein spoke volumes of her deep, instinctive trust of him. Oh, how she wished she could tell him who she really was!

Raendil suddenly remembered he had to see Valandil about something, and he also had the funny feeling that he was forgetting something else he had to do. They packed up their leftovers, and since the horses were still in stable resting up and drying off from their post-race baths, they walked. When they both reached Orrodel, they stood there in front of the house for a good five minutes, hugging, and nuzzling. It was extremely difficult for the both of them to keep holding off on a kiss; they were going nuts from the tension of waiting.

Finally Ray took off, running to make time, and Viv went inside the house and gave Zimra the picnic stuff.

"Help yourself to any of these things, if you like," said Viv to Zimra. "And also, do you think you could take my riding clothes to the launderers today, so that my outfits are dry and ready by tomorrow?"

"Of course, my lady," said Zimra as she lugged the big bundle of picnic stuff into the kitchen.

"Thanks, Zimra," Viv called after her.

Viv sprinted upstairs to quickly change out of her baby blue riding togs and into a sporty daytime riding dress, aquamarine blue, trimmed at the neckline with miniature topaz stones and embroidered all over with tiny irridescent black figures of flying owls and eagles.

She brushed her dark, bouncy hair, and clipped in a topaz and black-jet mithril barrette, and slung her black leather riding bag across her shoulders, with her little pocket watch and money bag inside. She was already running a little late to meet up with Gordis, so she wore her riding boots and grabbed her aquamarine cashmere riding cloak, and ran downstairs and out to the stables to re-saddle up Laslech and head for the University, whisling for Lomi as she went.

By the time she finally got to Aiwendis' quarters, it was a little after 2 in the afternoon.

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-29-2005 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #592
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viv Stops By to Visit Aiwendis

Aiwendis was in her exquisitely furnished and decorated boudoir, in her and the Chancellor's wing of the University. Viv could feel her crying inside.

"Oh! I'm glad you could make it," greeted Aiwendis, opening the door wide, and giving Viv a ladylike double-kiss on the cheek.

"Yes, sorry I'm so late. What a busy day it's been today!" Viv said, as she took off her cloak, and draped it across one of the chairs in the sweeping boudoir.

Viniglaen went over to one of the cushy chairs next to the window, and sat down, streching her legs out in front of her and slumping down into the downy recesses of the chair.

"Care for a drink?" offered Aiwendis.

"Whew! Not unless you have sparking Angmar springs water handy," said Viv. "I've been drinking and eating for like two hours with Ray, just now. We had a picnic after class."

"How's it going, then, your project, or assignment, with the Kingsman, this Ray," said Aiwendis. She wasn't entirely convinced it was all business with Viv, but then she couldn't say too much, her own heart itself having suffering from a confusion of interest.

Viv looked at her sister-in-arms for a moment, sideways. How should she answer?

"Fine, just perfect," she answered evenly, then deftly turned the conversation to Aiwendis. "But it's you I'm wondering about, Gor, because I'm picking up an awful lot of sorrow from you lately; sorrow and alienation. Is everything all right over here? How are things with our Lord?"

Aiwendis' face clouded over, and she looked down at her hands, and tried to put in some words what she was feeling inside.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 AM   #593
Valandil

"Come in!" called the voice through the door.

Oreturion opened the door cautiously. There she stood, drawn to her full height with her whole attention turned on him as he stepped across the threshold. He saw that they were alone.

"Lady Mahtaliel." he said, with a slight dip of his head toward her.

"Why... Lord Oreturion!" she said, her eyebrows arching high. "To what do I owe the honor of this visit?"

Oreturion cleared his throat, a bit uncomfortable at how this might seem - him and a lady alone indoors. Still - he had come for a purpose. He must know...

"My lady, allow me to explain. You may not remember me, but I met you at Imladris some years back, when we all gathered for the Great Alliance of Elves and Men. I was much younger then... as we Men account age."

"I remember you."

"Yes - I was with Elendil very much of the time. In any regard, I recall that you lived long ago in the ancient land of Eregion."

"Yes... I did indeed." replied Mahtaliel, wondering where this was headed, and thinking how the land of Eregion did not seem so ancient to her. What... it had only been little more than 12 yen.

"I have done what research I may, but now I must ask you directly..."

"Yes..."

"I understand that it was customary in Eregion to place a gem of some kind into the cup of an honored guest. And that each type of gem had its own significance - and there appears to be much more to it than that..."

"Lady Mahtaliel," he continued, and his expression grew serious and his gaze pierced into her eyes, "did you place a gem into my King's cup at yestereve's reception? And if so, what was your purpose?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 11-30-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #594
Valandil

Monday evening:

Valandil wasn't sure what time it was, but he had been at The Red Herring for several hours. Once the sun had set, he had even come indoors and taken a small table in a quiet secluded corner, for the year was getting along and the air turned quite brisk after sundown. Soon would come the Eruhantale, and then the days would quickly shorten. For now, the sun had probably set at about 7 or 8 - and it was at least 8 or 9 o'clock now.

He sat alone, as he seemed to be so much of the time lately. Just as well, he sighed - and preferable at times to simply being surrounded by servants... or having his mother hover over him. So he sat and nursed a drink, nibbled on dainties now and again, and put off returning home for the night.

He split his time between reviewing his schedule and doodling. His class time would be very light on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but quite heavy on Tuesdays and Thursdays - with way too much time between classes. That would make it hard enough to operate efficiently, and he could tell he was already inclined toward distraction.

He did his doodling on his writing pad. A bad habit, he had been advised, but he had become quite compulsive about it. He drew ships and bridges, and fortresses and towers, and... rather elegant young ladies and elf-maidens.

"Can I get you anything, Your Highness?" came the voice of the serving girl - as he attempted to subtly conceal the contents of his pad. "You seem to have a load on your mind, as most students do - and I expect especially a King."

She was new... they sure seemed to have a high turn-over rate around this place. "No, no... I'm fine, thank you." It would hardly do to tell her that his sword was no longer speaking to him. Either she would take it the wrong way, or consider him totally mad.

As she moved along to the next table, he wondered if he WAS going mad. Had the drink been so strong that he had IMAGINED hearing his sword, and speaking with it? He tried to piece the events of the last 24 hours together in his mind, but they just danced before him in a disorderly array. Danced... well, he HAD danced... and with Elves even... and Aiwendis.

He wondered where those Elf maids were now - and if a mortal Man might not be beneath their notice, were he a great King. And... he wondered where Aiwendis was and what she was about, as he returned to his sketching.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 11-30-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #595
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

"Yes, as a gift," Mahtaliel replied, honestly surprised. Oreturion sounded as if he suspected her... "Is this a question of curiosity or has something happened?"

"Ah... both at the moment." He answered vaguely.

Mahtaliel thought about this, his answer confirmed her suspicion that something had indeed happened. Which could only mean that Oreturion was here to find out if she was responsible, which she was quite sure she wasn't. Best to be honest, "Whatever it is," she began carefully, "I can't think of any way that the gem could have caused it. I made sure to choose one whose properties were entirely beneficial."

- The Crucible

Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #596
Valandil

"Beneficial?" replied Oreturion. "How so?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 11-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #597
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

"The gem in question is Topaz, yes?" She asked, rhetorically, "That particular gem is strongly associated with the sun, and is believed to protect the faithful from harm."

"What sort of harm?"

"Anything ranging from envy, disease, or dark magic to sudden or untimely death, it's quite useful in that respect. It can also increase confidance, strength and charisma."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?" Oreturion asked.

Mahtaliel sighed, "Look it up, any book about the properties of gems will tell you the same. There may be some variations depending on the culture of the writer but the ones I've named appear quite consistently," she paused, "I must admit to wishing that you would tell me what's wrong that makes you suspect me."

- The Crucible

Old 11-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #598
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

nazgul confidences

University Palace, after 2 AM Monday.

Aiwendis looked at Viv sideways. She noticed that Vivvie had avoided telling her about her commitment with a mortal, instead, Viv desired some confidences from herself.

"But it's you I'm wondering about, Gor, because I'm picking up an awful lot of sorrow from you lately; sorrow and alienation. Is everything all right over here? How are things with our Lord?"

Aiwendis' face clouded over, and she looked down at her hands, and tried to put in some words what she was feeling inside. But she was never one to confide in others, especially now, when she felt like she was walking on thin ice over a bottomless pool.

"Oh there is nothing new, Vivvie, she whispered finally. The Captain is never easy to fathom and to deal with..."

Viv smiled. It was somewhat of an understatement.

"I must have been nervous lately", admitted Aiwendis. "I hate Mahtaliel and her boring classes. And I am afraid of the fire in the forge. You would be also, Viv, you just haven't thought of it, it seems."

Aiwendis sighed and continued. "And now this ... assignment. I don't want to marry a mortal! I can't imagine myself married to this baby-King. And I am having those dreams. And then... No, it is insane!"

Aiwendis stood and went to the window. "If only we could go back to Osgiliath, or to Umbar...", she said wistfully, "we could have lived happily for a long time. But there is always ... you know WHAT, Vivvie. I hope IT will never be found!"
Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #599
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Viniglaen & Aiwendis' Afternoon Chat - mon. 2:30pm

"Don't let it get you too down, Gor; after all, it's not going to be forever that we'll be here, and plus almost the whole family's here!"

"I know, but still..." Aiwendis' voice trailed off, and she gazed wistfully and absentmindedly out the window.

The room was quiet for a moment, as both women wandered into a little reverie of rememberence and private wishes.

"But you're right about the forges," said Viv suddenly. "I totally forgot about that. I guess I just assumed we'd be wireworking and bending pre-forged materials to create pieces, but what do I know. When do you think we'll actually have to start learning forging?"

"Hmm. Probably not for at least another two weeks, but then again I am not the professor. Any time is too soon, if you ask me; what difference does it make what time we start forging if eventually we have to do it?"

"You think there'd be any way around it, like... like maybe we can hire interns to do the dirty work FOR us, after we've already drawn up our designs?"

Aiwendis clearly enjoyed this new idea.

"But," conjectured Aiwendis, "do you think we'd still recieve proper grading from Professor Mahtaliel if we did do that?"

Viv rolled her eyes. "Please, Gor, it's not like we have to graduate with honours! This University experience, all told, is merely a means to a different end. Anyway, couldn't our Lord step in since he's the Chancellor and O.K. this with her for us?"

"I'll mention it to him, at some point," said Aiwendis, "but not right away. He's got an awful lot going on lately; a lot more important stuff on his agenda than something like this. But I don't see why he wouldn't."

Viv took her little pocketwatch out of her bag, noticed the time, and got up to go.

"I'm just a short walk away, at Orrodel House, Gor; please come by whenever you feel like it. i miss you, you know," said Viv, giving her sister a gentle little hug, and donning her cloak to go.

"I love this outfit, Viv," said Aiwendis, as she walked her baby "sister" to the door.

"You do? It's nice, huh! I stole a bunch of beautiful frocks ages ago from some half-elven home. That lady had great taste, and the money to back it up!"

At this remark, Aiwendis actually rolled HER eyes.

"Just try and stay out of trouble while you're here, Vivvie, O.K.?" Aiwendis said. Sometimes the wild one's little penchant for casual theft worried her not a little. Yes, she'd always gotten away with every caper scot-free and perfectly, but anything could happen, and the last thing any one of the Nine needed was unnecessary heat coming down on them. Still and all, it had never happened in all of the ages they'd been wraithed, so she supposed she musn't worry now.

Outside, Vivvie whistled again for her Lomi, who was waiting perched atop the University dividing wall. Owl upon shoulder, Viv mounted Laslech, who'd been waiting patiently just outside, and the three of them decided to cut through the University grounds, heading to the southwest exit. It gave Viv an opportunity to become familiar with the lay of the school grounds, and besides, she wanted to come out on Menetar boulevard and take a walk through town.

Last edited by Lotesse : 11-30-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:42 PM   #600
Rían

Monday, shortly before 3 p.m.
The University grounds and surrounding area

Alagos watched his sister and her friend walk off. He stood there awhile, lost in thought. The things he had said to Eärniel seemed so clear, yet she didn't seem to agree with him for some reason, although she didn't come right out and say so. I mean, who could even conceive that a man would choose to be of a different people than his wife, when the time came to make the choice of the Pereldar! Women! He shook his head in irritation, yet his face had a smile on it. Eru certainly showed his sense of humor when he decided to invent two sexes!

He finally turned away and started walking, not caring where he went, just wanting to move. He thought of the remaining arrows that needed to be fletched, but knew he wouldn't have the patience to do that now. He thought of Tyaron - he was a bit worried about him. He saw his point about leaving, hopefully making RÃ*an miss him (and he smiled again when he remembered Tyaron's eeeeevil plan for him to sing some of Tyaron's songs poorly!) but he still wished he hadn't left by himself. Ever since Tyaron had found out that RÃ*an was alive, he had been strung up to a fever pitch - hardly sleeping at all, restless and on edge, although he tried to hide it. When Alagos had needed rest, which he needed more than the full-blooded Eldar (although not much more, for physically he ran more true to the Eldar, while RÃ*an ran more true mentally - she could listen to singing for hours on end, while Alagos loved it for a few hours then had to take a walk), Tyaron would seldom rest. Whenever Alagos would wake up, he would see his friend restlessly pacing, looking into the distance, or sitting with his arms wrapped around his legs and his eyes far away. Tyaron had an abundance of self-control, which was why he was so deadly a swordsman, but a man can only take so much, and Alagos wished he was with his friend. He had seen Tyaron completely lose his temper only once before, and he was fervently glad that he had been with his friend and had averted a potential disaster. He thought briefly of following after him, but thought that that would be hardly fair to RÃ*an.

He wished he had a horse - he felt like a wild gallop across the countryside. He needed to get one soon, since it looked like they'd be here awhile. Perhaps that's what Tyaron was going to get - he remembered Tyaron admiring some horses that they had seen a few days ago. That would be nice! As he walked, he finally realized he was wringing his hands, with their long, strong, sensitive archer's fingers, and made himself stop. He just had to keep moving. His hands were quiet for awhile, but soon he started unconsciously wringing them again.

As RÃ*an and Eärniel walked to Professor Mahtaliel's sword-smithing class, they saw a distinguished-looking man come out of the door and walk away. "He was at the Reception, wasn't he?" asked RÃ*an, and Eärniel nodded. "An advisor to the King, if I recall correctly," she said.

The King! RÃ*an couldn't help blushing just a bit as she remembered their dances together. Luckily her friend wasn't looking at her right then. She wished she could see him in the light of day; things in a ballroom are sometimes quite different than things in the sober light of day. And RÃ*an couldn't help but feel that seeing him again would help her to figure out some of the things that had been puzzling her for quite some time now.

They came up to the door and peered in unobtrusively before quietly walked in, seeing that the Professor was alone except for what appeared to be an assistant. The Professor looked up and greeted them with a courteous but cautious smile. Eärniel's greeting was colder than was her wont, and RÃ*an looked at her friend for a moment before addressing the Professor.

"Professor, you had mentioned the library in your class this morning, and the Lady Eärniel and I wanted to know if you could let us in - we both would love to see it!"

Mahtaliel said brusquely, "Certainly, if you'd just give me a moment to get my things together. I'm always glad to see students take an interest in further learning. When you are done, be sure to contact one of my aides, please, so they can see to locking it up again, as I'll be busy teaching my sword-smithing class."

"Professor, why is the library kept locked?" Eärniel asked in an even voice. "I don't understand that ..."

The Professor looked up at her, scrutinizing her face closely but rapidly. "I don't really know, you'll have to ask the Chancellor, I suppose." She looked down again at her papers as the blood rose into her cheeks. "What am I thinking? She couldn't possibly know! You're just imagining things!" she admonished herself.

RÃ*an had been looking around the room, and had a thought. "Professor, speaking of your next class, I thought you might want to see something that I have," she said as she pulled out her dagger and placed it on the table in front of the Professor.

Mahtaliel picked it up gently and examined it with the eye of an expert, turning it around in the light. "Lovely, just lovely! I imagine it was made in Gondolin, right?" she asked. RÃ*an nodded, and the Professor moved from examining the blade to examining the decorations. "This is really exquisite engraving, also - very imaginative and expertly executed."

"A friend of mine did it for me," RÃ*an said. "He's here in town - or he'll be back in a few days, that is - would you like to meet him? He's also done work on my brother's blades, as well as his own, if you'd like to see some more of his work."

"I would like that, yes," said the Professor. "When he gets back, bring him by sometime, and have him bring the blades. Perhaps I might even have him give a brief talk to the class. A weapon must be practical, but it should also be a work of art, in my opinion. And this dagger is a perfect example of both."

Giving her papers a final arrangement, she called out to her assistant, "Keep an eye on the forge, will you, I'll be right back." She walked RÃ*an and Eärniel to the library, opened the door, and let them in. "Be sure to contact one of my assistants to lock up the library again when you leave, or I will not allow you this privilege again," she admonished them. She needed to be careful - she was already on the borders of trouble with some of her generous activities.

They stepped in and looked around with big eyes. They sighed in unison, then laughed at each other. They both loved books, and this place was ... wonderful. "I think I know where I'll be spending some time!" Eärniel said to RÃ*an, who nodded in agreement.

Last edited by Rían : 12-01-2005 at 04:47 PM.