Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 12:52 AM   #581
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Hmm...trying to make one of my sisters to like opera...and she does, but she wont read the libretto...
I'm not a fan of reading libretti. So many operas are ridiculous, I find it's more enjoyable to ignore the plot and focus on the singing. However, for a newcomer to the form, knowing the storyline helps.

That said, the very first opera I ever saw was Monteverdi's "Ulysses." My local PBS station was broadcasting it and I watched it with my father (think I was 8 or 9 years old). Since it was being aired with subtitles, I found I could understand what the principals were singing and was able to follow the story. I was hooked. Now as an adult I tend to ignore the subtitles (or supertitles if it's a live performance) since I'm far more interested in the staging and the music.

Maybe you could rent a video for your sister? As I recall, Zeffirelli directed a beautiful "La Traviata." link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084821/

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 06-25-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #582
Mercutio

Quote:

Mercutio-since you're pm box is full, I'll just tell you here.
Forget what I told you to do in the pm. thanks!
and God Bless!
(chrys, make sure she gets that message)
Got the message. ! Smiley crazy!

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #583
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
All too true

FM, any luck fishing for a better Missa Solemnis?
Nope In fact I've had no time for it. Too much work lately... But I got Gluck's Iphigenie in Tauride, conducted by Gardiner. I must say I'm quite reconcilied with Gardiner thanks to this recording

Opera. I agree that librettos are not usually great pieces of literature and that they usually contain very absurd things, but it is very important to truly enjoy opera to know more or less what is it about... And of course the staging is at least as important as the music IMHO. That's why I don't listen too much opera but I'm always eager to watch it

Baroque opera may be only listened without lack of pleasure, but with romantic opera (especially Wagner) I cannot say the same. Watching the staging is necesarry to understand and to enjoy the music.

I agree that Don Giovanni is a wonderful begining to understan opera (better than The Magic Flute because of the symblolic plot of this...). I've seen several performaces in video/DVD. The best for me is Karajan's in the MET, though its Don Giovanni (Samuel Ramey) is not the best. The staging meets perfectly the music, that is besides perfectly played and sung

For me the best actor-singer for Don Giovanni is Ruggero Raimondi in Abbado's version (in Viena?), though the staging here is horrible and makes the opera loose all his strength
Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 AM   #584
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Yes; that occurred to me the first time I heard it!
Hooray! I'm not the only one!
Quote:
Baroque opera may be only listened without lack of pleasure, but with romantic opera (especially Wagner) I cannot say the same. Watching the staging is necesarry to understand and to enjoy the music.
I would agree with that for the most part, although there are perhaps a few selections that could be listened to and appreciated without seeing the staging.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #585
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Cool! Now I can post in this forum. I know just about enough about classical music to be considered dull, but I know enough to hang here. My biggest problem is the fact that I don't know the names of most of the classical music I listen to. If you live in L.A., a good classical station is 91.5 KUSC FM. For opera fans, Saturday morning and Sunday night is when the operas come on.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #586
trolls' bane

Ooo! Look what I found. I could use this. This website gives synopsis's of operas. Just printed out Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen cycle.

Link:
http://www.metopera.org/synopses/
Old 07-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #587
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yay! I don't own a LOT of classical music (or any music in general), but a case of missing tapes just turned up... including my 'starter set' of about 8-10 classical tapes. Got some Vivaldi, Hayden, Bach, Beethoven, Tschaikovski, Mozart, Handel...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 07-01-2004, 03:50 PM   #588
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Anyone ever hear of Toru Takemitsu? I went to a concert of his music and it was fabulous.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Old 07-04-2004, 10:54 PM   #589
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Yay! I don't own a LOT of classical music (or any music in general), but a case of missing tapes just turned up... including my 'starter set' of about 8-10 classical tapes. Got some Vivaldi, Hayden, Bach, Beethoven, Tschaikovski, Mozart, Handel...
I don't know anything about other types of music, and little of classical. I use my radio only for classical music, news, and the KSURF radio theater (which just started now, in fact, but I won't bother).
Old 07-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #590
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

bumping!

does anyone (UK) listen to ClassicFM?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #591
Mercutio

When my dad was in the Netherlands he got me a cd of the Haarlem organ (the famous one...[I forget what church]). Wow.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #592
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
bumping!

I used to listen to it a lot, but I don't so much now. It's nice background noise for when you can't concentrate on anything
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #593
Mercutio

My other cd came today!

Its the soundtrack from "the Mission," composed, orchestrated, and conducted by Ennio Morricone (with the London Philharmonic).

I highly reccommend that movie. It has such wonderful music, too (well...since I got the cd...). Anyway. You have to watch it. Its about a Jesuit mission in South America.

sigh, so beautiful.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:22 PM   #594
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
bumping!

No, I can't anyway, but I did accidentally find their site, I think.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #595
Mercutio

Anybody know where I could put/what I could upload an audio file to? I ripped some tracks off the cd I just bought and want to stash them somewhere on the internet so y'all can listen. They are around 2000 - 3000 kb. in wma format.

any help?

Old 07-18-2004, 03:16 AM   #596
trolls' bane

I just got three new Classical CDs, my first CDs ever, in fact, that were not borrowed or burnt off of someone else's. One has Strauss (don't know which, since there were two, right?), another Tchaickovsky, and the third was 25 peices taken from operas. There's La Donne Le Mobile, The Ride of the Valkyries, Toreador, Brindisi, to name the most well known (to me), and there are several more. I listened to classical music for a good part of the afternoon. Tomorrow the Sunday Night Opera Comes on KUSC. Today, on the Saturday Morning Opera(s), they had several parts of different American operas (some of which are as hard to understand as Italian, etc., operas), including Nixon in China, and some baseball opera. I signed up for an email newsletter from that station, but I still haven't got it.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:50 PM   #597
trolls' bane

Today I just finished writing up a program for a "show" I want to do next 4th of July. If anyone even cares what i'm playing, i'll post it later.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #598
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Ahem! Haydn

Fat M, too bad!
Well, I have Carl Nielsen's opera Saul and David, not very impressive, but hey! it was only five dollars!
FM, do you know if I should risk getting this Tristan recording? The Conductor is Carlos Kleiber, and as everyone knows, he rarely ever conducts...and maybe this recording is...special? I dont know!

Troll's Bane, sounds like you're going through the extreme-enthusiast stage I was in when I started Classical Music big, what fun! I think you'll like Richard Strauss's Ein Heldenleben.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 PM   #599
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
Anybody know where I could put/what I could upload an audio file to? I ripped some tracks off the cd I just bought and want to stash them somewhere on the internet so y'all can listen. They are around 2000 - 3000 kb. in wma format.

any help?
Twiddles thumbs....looks at shoes....looks at watch...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #600
trolls' bane

Quote:
Troll's Bane, sounds like you're going through the extreme-enthusiast stage I was in when I started Classical Music big, what fun! I think you'll like Richard Strauss's Ein Heldenleben.
You're probably right. I'm listening to my favorite classical station now. Ein Heldenleben? Haven't heard of that, but I'll find it soon. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Quote:
Twiddles thumbs....looks at shoes....looks at watch...

Been like that for the past few days.
Closed Thread