Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #581
inked
Elf Lord

At the risk of being accused of high-jacking the thread to heterosexual stuff, I would like to point out that it's not just the RCC which has problems like abuse and not just homosexuals. This is a serious problem for any religious outfit that experiences this sort of miscreant (and yes, sinful) behaviour.

See http://mcj.bloghorn.com/2402#Comments

I have not yet taken the link to the video because I'm not sure I can stand it.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #582
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I was going to watch the video for you to spare your tender eyes, but it was taking too long to load on this ancient computer.

So it would have been handy if you had provided your own thoughts on the site as well as the link.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #583
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
GM,

I must protest that I do not resemble that remark!

I was merely pointing out that the issue has world-wide import and I must confess that I was frankly astonished at this.

I was amused by the odd political bed-fellows (is that a sexist term, by the way, implying as it does the maleness of parties? but I meant no pun) as well as you.

On the other hand, one can get a clear picture of the attitudes culturally engendered, can one not? And we know that since each society determines its own norms which are morally true (per BJ), how can you suggest that there is any difference between choices? Rather, you should select prenatally (best of all pre-fertilization!) where you shoul be born. That would solve the problem, eh?
You're right, I was being unfair, and I apologise.

It's easy to make groups of us and them (why doesn't somebody start a thread on this? ); I'm sure you could find a topic- say, Iraq attack- that would put you on the side of the angels, so to speak, and group me with the scummiest countries on the planet.

OTOH, on this issue, there is a common ground here, and it is tolerance- Senegal, Sudan, Pakistan,and Iran go without saying; China- commie dictators; Zimbabwe, Ivory Coast, Cameroon; Russia- check the latest news about the gay march?

I'm actually impressed that the US supported the good guys- it's depressing to see all those votes:

In favour- almost everybody; Against- US, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Iran....
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #584
inked
Elf Lord

Being gay is out of this world, and even if it isn't, we'll make it that way!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7901483.story
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #585
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Re: Inked's link

Man, you find the worst articles! Seriously!

Quote:
STUDIOS love magazine stories that breathlessly hype their summer popcorn movies, so you would think that Warner Bros. might have been happy with Alonso Duralde's cover story about "Superman Returns," which gushed, "Superheroes — let's face it — are totally hot."
<sarcasm>Wow, the insight, the incredible writing! I'm floored.</sarcasm>

Quote:
There was a twist: Duralde's "Superman Returns" story was not in Entertainment Weekly or Newsweek or Premiere. It ran in the May 23 issue of the Advocate, the prominent national gay magazine, next to the headline: "How Gay Is Superman?"
Superman obviously isn't gay, because there's only one person for him and that's a woman called Lois Lane. He could be bi, but Superman's sexuality doesn't matter because he loves Lois Lane, and no-one else.

Dear Everybody:

CANON

Yours sincerely,
The Management
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #586
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

Canon? CAnon? CANon? CANOn? CANON? from you?

There is no canon, Nurv. You have said that and upheld it so many times I had to fall on the floor in a dead faint when I saw your post.

And, you might have a streak of homophobe in you if can't come to grips with the reality of Supie's gayness. Really! You of all people! The "yea for gay" poster child. And you insist on Lois Lane as the object of Supie's interest? Poor Lana Lang. ?What about Lex Luthor?

Really, Nurv, you have nerve to suggest that only you can interpret the "canon" according to your pet theories and hypotheses. You are clearly a culturally brainwashed individual who cannot appreciate the gayness of Superman. It it's good enough for Jesus, why not Supie?

I suspect you hold this opinion from a literalist interpretation of the comic books. You need to move into the pluriform truth of the field of consciousness and beyond the "canon" as interpreted by fundamentalists. Years of academic study have shown that the corpus of the Supie series is actually highly edited and many-artisted and so probably does not contain any relevant reality but the mere injection into an older mysthos of the editors and redactors. So out of touch with current societal mores, you are!

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. That Nurv would dare to have any opinion that could possibly conflict with the Charter guaranteed rights to change any and everything to suit any constituency in Canada. And here you are opposing the gaying of Superman from a highly respected gay publication!

Who do you think you are coming around with that old mishmash of imposed views that limit the rights of homosexuals to see Supie as one of their own!

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. You are a fundamentalist and literalist, Nurv.

and you won't be allowed to opt out yourself or your children from mandatory homosexualization so as not to perpetuate this fundamentalistic literalistic interpretation of yours, either...http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2006/jun/06060101.html

Last edited by inked : 06-04-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #587
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

*Cocks head, looks at Inked, mildly amused look on face* Er, something's wrong with Inked. Inked, are you O.K. there little fella? Hil-freakin' - larious.

Ciao, Nurvi! How are ya, bella? Long timeno see! And YES, YEA for GAY!!!! Down with cruel spirited homophobes, and yea for gay.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #588
inked
Elf Lord

Lotesse, so happy to see you haven't returned to your constituent particles.
I've been waiting for your responses in the Dante thread since I made it above Hell on the first take.

If you wish to pose postmodernist constructions on society, there is no reason Supie should be spared.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #589
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hasn't there been a recent Gnostic gospel discovered that shed some light on Superman's sexuality?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #590
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't need a Gnostic Gospel to tell me about it...

But anyway, gay or nay, Superman is in fact Jewish.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #591
inked
Elf Lord

Rather, the canonical writers were Jewish!

I don't think Supie was circ'd! (Maybe a kryptonite blade?)
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #592
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Really, Nurv, you have nerve to suggest that only you can interpret the "canon" according to your pet theories and hypotheses. You are clearly a culturally brainwashed individual who cannot appreciate the gayness of Superman. It it's good enough for Jesus, why not Supie?
Superman, and this may come as a surprise to you, but he is a made up character. Lois Lane is also a ficticious character. Amazing developments here. These two characters love each other in the comic books.

Superman could be gay, but it doesn't matter what his sexuality is because no matter which was he swings, he loves Lois Lane.

There is no homophobia here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Hasn't there been a recent Gnostic gospel discovered that shed some light on Superman's sexuality?
Whaaa?

Quote:
Gnosticism

The doctrines of certain pre-Christian pagan, Jewish, and early Christian sects that valued the revealed knowledge of God and of the origin and end of the human race as a means to attain redemption for the spiritual element in humans and that distinguished the Demiurge from the unknowable Divine Being.
Quote:
Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #593
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(oh, it was just a joke referring to all the ruckus over the Da Vinci code and the Gospel of Judas - both Gnostic-type stuff)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #594
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
I don't think Supie was circ'd! (Maybe a kryptonite blade?)
I'd imagine (though not having read the comics meself, I can't say for sure) that they leave THAT particular tidbit (or lack thereof ) up to your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvi
because no matter which way he swings
I remember a friend of mine once accidentally said of Cary Grant, instead of "he swings both ways", "he liked to slam both doors". Talk about butchering!!!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #595
TreebeardQuickbeam
Sapling

Warning: This topic is potentially explosive since people who have an opinion tend to resort to namecalling and other abusive behavior if you disagree them. If you're not politically correct, you can expect to be treated like your opinion doesn't count and called names because of it by people advocating Tolerance, which is a double standard because their attitude shows their own intolerance.
TreebeardQuickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #596
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Tolerance is about being accepting of people regardless race, gender, sexual orientation, one's name, religion, age, the country you're from, etc.

Tolerance is not about smiling and nodding every time someone spews a homophobic, racist, sexist, or etc. opinion.

I accept that not everybody is cool with homosexuality. I am tolerant of people who feel that way, if they are thoughtful about their opinion and not homophobic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I remember a friend of mine once accidentally said of Cary Grant, instead of "he swings both ways", "he liked to slam both doors". Talk about butchering!!!
Slam both doors... well, that's not the worst pun I've ever heard, but it's in the top ten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
(oh, it was just a joke referring to all the ruckus over the Da Vinci code and the Gospel of Judas - both Gnostic-type stuff)
*mutters* Stupid Da Vinci code.
Quote:
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #597
frodosampippinmerry
Hobbit

homo=same Phobia= Fear

Saying you Know someone who overcame samew-sex orientation, or that you think same sex cohabitation is wrong is often the kind of coment that gets lableled homophobic. A priest said he was invited to a party and nearly raped by other men. When he complained he was branded homophobic. Complaining that you were nearly raped is not homophobia, and neither is saying same sex cohabitation is wrong. Neither springs from irrational fear of homosexuals
frodosampippinmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #598
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Tolerance is about being accepting of people regardless race, gender, sexual orientation, one's name, religion, age, the country you're from, etc.

Tolerance is not about smiling and nodding every time someone spews a homophobic, racist, sexist, or etc. opinion.

I accept that not everybody is cool with homosexuality. I am tolerant of people who feel that way, if they are thoughtful about their opinion and not homophobic.
Same here, and also backwards-like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodosampippinmerry
Saying you Know someone who overcame samew-sex orientation, or that you think same sex cohabitation is wrong is often the kind of coment that gets lableled homophobic. A priest said he was invited to a party and nearly raped by other men. When he complained he was branded homophobic. Complaining that you were nearly raped is not homophobia, and neither is saying same sex cohabitation is wrong. Neither springs from irrational fear of homosexuals
You're right there, fspm, but there ARE a lot of people out there who's opposition to homosexuality is NOT based upon careful consideration and thought, and maintained with charity (as I believe mine to be), but who simply are motivated by a kind of disgust or even hatred for homosexuals, and that is wrong.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #599
Mercutio

(Side note)

Tolerance is an interesting word.....It stems from tolerate, meaning to put up with something bad. Tolerate comes from the latin tolerre, or tolert, which is to bear.

Only recently has tolerance become a positive thing.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #600
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodosampippinmerry
homo=same Phobia= Fear

I wasn't saying any of what you said was homophobic, I was talking about the irrational fear of homosexual people in general.

However, a priest goes to a party and was almost raped by some men and then called homophobic for reporting the incident? That sounds like something you just made up.

If you didn't make that up, provide a link to a newspaper article.

Mercutio, I think tolerance has come to mean tolerating (ie. putting up with something bad) something you don't agree with or is different from yourself.

That's why I said I won't tolerate racism, but I will tolerate people who, after having given it serious thought, are not cool with gay marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreebeardQuickbeam
Warning: This topic is potentially explosive since people who have an opinion tend to resort to namecalling and other abusive behavior if you disagree them. If you're not politically correct, you can expect to be treated like your opinion doesn't count and called names because of it by people advocating Tolerance, which is a double standard because their attitude shows their own intolerance.
Erm, you've posted here eight times. What makes you think we call names?

Also, welcome to the Moot!
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 06-08-2006 at 03:50 PM.