Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #581
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
Attempting to extrapolate some moral law by postulating that it's absolute truth and authority to the on everything to the letter is crass
Indeed. Almost as crass as constructing a strawman argument based on a small minority of a certain group, then generalizing until it applies to all within the group.

Oh, wait...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #582
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Administrator Warning

This looks like it's on the verge of devolving into another personal argument. Please don't let that happen.

Last edited by Tessar : 06-28-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Beard of Pants personally attacking Tessar, for which she will be flogged with Gwai's old gym socks
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #583
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Simi? Yu makin' up werds agin, simian boi?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #584
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Pffft. Wuteva.... wuman, I do wut I wont! *attempts to throw a gang sign and accidentally deletes several member accounts* Oh... frick... no one panic... I can... I can fix this....

But for your benefit I will go in and change it to real words.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #585
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Gaun yersel CBG.

Let he who is without garments of polyester-cotton blended fibres throw the first stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
And although I wouldn't disregard from the "holy" aspect myself, I think the Gaffer (unless he was being rhetorical) was fishing for more mundane and pragmatic approaches as to divorce being bad ("bad" as in non-functional rather than decadent).
Yes. It was a genuine question and I am disappointed in the offhand response, to be honest. Some people have been harmed by divorce, though, and it's possibly not a subject that's easy to discuss. However, my theory is that more people are harmed by family situations in which the parents should have got divorced but didn't.

Where I have a real problem is with the suggestion that there should be absolutely no way out, e.g. for the very common situation of domestic violence and abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Personally I don't consider it that important whether gay marriages last longer or shorter than some hypothetical national average. At least not for the sake of the argument of gay marriage's right to be.
Agreed, though of course, if the statistics end up showing that homosexual marriages can be just as lasting as heterosexual ones, I will be at the front of the queue to use em as an argument
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #586
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Agreed, though of course, if the statistics end up showing that homosexual marriages can be just as lasting as heterosexual ones, I will be at the front of the queue to use em as an argument
And herein lies a problem, I think.
But indeed, such statistic figures would make a perfectly good argument if someone claimed the contrary, i.e. that gay marriages don't last. However I dare say that anyone who actively supports or discourages homosexual marriages (and anything else, for that matter), do so because of some deeply rooted personal idea - perhaps founded on liberalism, religion etc. A liberal fanatic wouldn't change his view on gay marriage no matter the statistics. A Christian fundamentalist wouldn't either. Which makes such arguments quite meaningless.

I think discussing ideological grounds (rather than the smaller details) is more important, since it at least facilitates understanding between in essence irreconcilable fractions (like pro and anti gay marriage folks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
However, my theory is that more people are harmed by family situations in which the parents should have got divorced but didn't.
Heh, more statistics?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #587
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Indeed. Almost as crass as constructing a strawman argument based on a small minority of a certain group, then generalizing until it applies to all within the group.

Oh, wait...
What?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 AM   #588
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Gaffer, I certainly agree that there are many times when divorce is the best solution to a bad situation- or just when people amicably agree that they've made a mistake.

But still, nobody goes into a marriage thinking "well, this will be over later anyway" or "we can always get divorced if it doesn't work out".

In that sense I think every divorce is at least an acknowledgement that something went wrong; that things didn't turn out as hoped.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #589
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Of course.

I reckon there are people who go into marriage thinking "we can always get divorced" by the way. Many people just do it because it's expected of them.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #590
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Then there's the two-hour specials they have in Iran... and a certain number of Vegas matches where she's thinking "How long before the old fogey kicks off from a heart attack?"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #591
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Where I have a real problem is with the suggestion that there should be absolutely no way out, e.g. for the very common situation of domestic violence and abuse.
I'm not saying that women should be stupid and stay in a terrible situation. Say, in a few years, my husband began beating me or my children (if we had any then). There is nothing in the Bible that says, "Never get a restraining order". As a matter of fact, in Matthew 18, Jesus Himself says that if a brother will not be reconciled over a wrong, you are to break fellowship with him and treat him as an unbeliever. If my husband became completely unrepentant and relentless in his violence and refused to listen to my reproofs, or the reproofs of his family or friends, or even of our pastor or church discipline, of course I would separate from him. In that case, one of two things would probably happen - he would realize what was happening and actually repent (which is what is hoped), or he would turn farther from his family and find some other woman. In the second case, according to the Bible, I would be justified in divorcing him. I wouldn't have to, but it would be allowable.

The key is to have a goal of reconciliation in mind, not to have a goal of driving the husband to cheat so you can divorce him.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #592
Gwaimir Windgem

Or the wife, so you can divorce her Italian Style. Marcello Mastroianni, anyone?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #593
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
... or he would turn farther from his family and find some other woman. In the second case, according to the Bible, I would be justified in divorcing him. I wouldn't have to, but it would be allowable.

The key is to have a goal of reconciliation in mind, not to have a goal of driving the husband to cheat so you can divorce him.
But if he simply remains a beater not a cheater, you're not allowed to divorce, no?

Last edited by GrayMouser : 07-01-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #594
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Congratulations to Iceland's Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdadottir:

Quote:
Iceland Prime Minister Johanna Sigurdardottir married her long-time partner on Sunday as a new law legalizing homosexual marriages came into force.
Sigurdardottir, in her late 60s, formally married writer Jonina Leosdottir after the couple submitted a demand for their civil union to be transformed into a marriage, the RUV broadcaster said.

Iceland's parliament on June 12 unamimously adopted legislation allowing gay marriage, in a law that came into force on Sunday.

Homosexual couples could previously enter into a civil partnership, but this had not been considered a formal marriage.

She is the country's first openly gay head of government.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #595
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Or the wife, so you can divorce her Italian Style. Marcello Mastroianni, anyone?
Ah yes, the good old days before this modern breakdown of morality brought about by feminism and divorce, where murdering a woman was considered a minor crime- after all, she is your property, isn't she?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #596
Gwaimir Windgem

Oh, yes, the ethical framework of old comedies is quite unabashedly atrocious!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #597
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Ah yes, the good old days before this modern breakdown of morality brought about by feminism and divorce, where murdering a woman was considered a minor crime- after all, she is your property, isn't she?
Quite correct. Indeed its the basis of the "wedding breakfast". All quite true, so i am realiably informed.

If you were not happy with your new wife you had the right to sell her at market... that very noon, as was.... apparently.

Eh.. the good ol' days heh? *starts singing the Dukes of hazard theme tune, and wantonly negleting to bang on any suncream to my neck*

Bet Inked wished he had a time machine...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 07-01-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #598
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
The Bible says in Genesis: "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Genesis 2:24.

For those of you who do not take the Bible seriously, this won't change your mind. It won't make you believe me, either. However, in marriage, the husband and wife are literally bonded together to be "one flesh" in the sight of God. If you believe this, then divorce is never good. The Bible gives only two provisions for divorce: in the case of infidelity, and only the faithful partner can make this choice, or in the case of an "unequally yoked" marriage, if the non-Christian wants a divorce. The Bible never makes any references to "irreconcilable differences" for Christians. Marriage is a holy ordinance and few people actually believe that.

That's why divorce is a bad thing.
You are reading a bit too much into the good book. Marriage, as a social construct, did not even exist at the time that the Genesis was developed. "Wife" in the above context is simply our best modern conception of the relationships that existed at that point in time.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #599
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Oh, yes, the ethical framework of old comedies is quite unabashedly atrocious!
Yes, it sometimes is- not that it's not a great flick- but they do provide insight into the mores of the time and place. Not nearly as good, but along the same lines, is "How to Murder Your Wife", an incredibly misogynistic movie that I enjoyed very much. Jack Lemmon as Stanley and Terry-Thomas as Charles the Valet:

Stanley Ford: Listen, Charles. She's in love so she's never going to agree to a divorce. So we're left with only one choice...murder.
Charles: Murder?
Stanley Ford: Murder.
Charles: ...I say, good show, sir! Absolutely bang on!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #600
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
You are reading a bit too much into the good book. Marriage, as a social construct, did not even exist at the time that the Genesis was developed. "Wife" in the above context is simply our best modern conception of the relationships that existed at that point in time.
How so? I think the idea of "marriage"and "husband/wife" are among the oldest and most universal customs humanity has- with cultural variations, of course.

The idea of a man and a woman (or more than one woman, or very very occasionally a woman with more than one man) forming a socially sanctioned bond- in which the relationship is different from that of a concubine, handmaiden or other woman to which the man has sexual access- is found in just about every society.

Commonly, of course, it took the form of an arrangement between two families- and still does in many societies- with (usually) the wishes of the woman and (sometimes) those of the man not being taken into consideration.

Or is that actually the point you are making?

Last edited by GrayMouser : 07-02-2010 at 05:16 AM.