Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2003, 08:39 PM   #41
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

So true. I had a french teacher last year I absolutely hated and the year before an english teacher.

This year my teachers arent that great, but no one I hate.

Many teachers do deserve criticism.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #42
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Yeah - we had those for my teachers in college (but not all). We never had them for high school though.
I never had such extensive polls (if any!) in highschool either. (I'm in college now but I still tend to call it just 'school'. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.)

Of course I think it's fair to mention that my college is in the middle of some significant changes to fit the last European laws on higher education. In such a situation, asking the students for feedback on the changed coursepacket is logical and wise approach. I don't know whether they would do the same when the courses would remain stable for a couple of years. I think they would, that is, I hope they would for their own sake also.

Quote:
Sorry - but a lot of teachers deserve criticism.
True, but I think a lot of them deserve some credit as well.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:36 AM   #43
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Classic case of students not understanding that teachers are, in fact, on their side:

We introduced anonymous marking of exam scripts, largely as a result of pressure from students, who seemed to be under the impression that the lecturers were just out to fail them as much as possible.

As a result, people got worse marks. Because you didn't know whose script you were marking, you couldn't give them "the benefit of the doubt" where it wasn't clear what they were getting at. This was particularly hard on students for whom English wasn't their first language.

Most teachers want their students to do well. Yes, there are probably some who are just drifting along, and even a few who are personal and vindictive. But sometimes students just don't know what's best for them.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:43 PM   #44
Ruinel
Banned

Well said Gaffer.

I seriously doubt that a high school student would understand how difficult it is to plan lessons that cover all the skills and knowledge that is mandated by the state and local school district, as well as prepare them for the once a year state standardized tests, and still keep the students, the parents, the administration, and the school board satisfied. I know when I was that age, I had no idea how much work ro stress went into being a teacher. A good teacher makes all that work seem effortless. When I was in high school, I thought teachers were unreasonable in their requests and I thought most of my teachers hated me or didn't really give a crap if I was there or not. And really, it isn't their job to care. But it is their job to present materials to the students that your state requires them to teach. That's all. Your job is to read the materials provided (books, etc), practice what the teacher presents in class, and study for your test. If you are doing that, you will learn. If not, then you will fail. period.

If you have teachers that suck, well that's the way it is. Like I said, no one wants to be a teacher. And no one has answered the question I've posed twice already. I'd especially like JD and Hobbit to answer. Given the current job description, crap they put up with and pay, would you want to be a teacher? I've already answered that question honestly: I don't.

JD, yes, my programming teacher sucks. Why does she suck? Because although she can program (from what I've seen), she has no idea how to teach. She presents someone else's materials to the class in a powerpoint and then sends us off to create our own projects with no guidance or explaination. Then she gets furious that we don't know what we're doing. (Ok, the rest of the class and not me, because I seem to be catching on despite her lack of teaching skill, but still....) And I've already given my feedback to the school on her teaching abilities in the form of an annonymous survey supplied by the campus administration. The questions were focused on teaching and not personality. That is what these high school students should be turning in. Not going to some lame ass website and bitching to their heart's content. That's not constructive. A survey would be more constructive for these students, it would focus on ONLY teaching and not just unconstructive venting.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #45
zinnite
Elven Warrior

The university I attended required all instructors to be evaluated by their students in every course they taught each semester. Two of my instructors were eventually "released" as a direct result of student evaluations. One was a horrible teacher who knew nothing of his field (biology); the other taught the African geography course in my major and was actually quite brilliant, but his teaching skills were non-existant (85% of the students in that particular class made grades below a C).

I'm a believer in student evaluations of that sort, because they do work (and not just for bad instructors--it goes both ways, since tenure was affected in part by the evaluations). In that setting the instructors have to pay attention to them, but with the website teachers who get negative criticism will likely see it simply as students bitching, and it won't probably won't change their performance in the classroom.

And Ruinel, no, I would not want to be a teacher right now, even though that is what I think I would be best at doing. I've seen too many fantastic teachers leave the academic world because of all the BS they had to go through.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot

Last edited by zinnite : 12-01-2003 at 04:00 PM.
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #46
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I never had such extensive polls (if any!) in highschool either. (I'm in college now but I still tend to call it just 'school'. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.)
I thought you were in college. Just wasn't sure if they did that in high school too or not.

I'm taking french and italian in community education. The classes aren't formalized - they're just at the high school - once a week - but we have appraisal forms we fill out for them. MY french teacher is really good - but my italian teacher sucks. He might be much better in a formalized classroom though.

Ruinel - As for the website, teacher can ignore it if they want. Don't you think that this it the stuff students say all the time? I'm sorry if you feel offended by the website - but teachers don't always talk to nicely about their students in the teachers lounge either. Also - just because there may be some students who just gripe about something - doesn't mean that some students don't bring up good points.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:21 PM   #47
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Ruinel - As for the website, teacher can ignore it if they want. Don't you think that this it the stuff students say all the time? I'm sorry if you feel offended by the website - but teachers don't always talk to nicely about their students in the teachers lounge either. Also - just because there may be some students who just gripe about something - doesn't mean that some students don't bring up good points.
The problem is, that if there is any constructive criticism posted at the site, it will be dismissed with the rest of the bitching that isn't constructive. That's where an official survey is more helpful to a teacher than this website.

In whatever school I substituted at, I ate in the teacher's lounge. Some are frustrated and bitch about particular students. And some of them brag about how great they think some students they have are. They'll comment about some remarkable thing a student said in class or something. But mostly, when they bitch, it's about the lack of support and the frustrations of the job. They have to vent someplace, because the rest of the world thinks it's a breeze job with 2 months in the summer off.

EDIT: and I noticed, you still haven't answered my question.

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-01-2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #48
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
The problem is, that if there is any constructive criticism posted at the site, it will be dismissed with the rest of the bitching that isn't constructive. That's where an official survey is more helpful to a teacher than this website.
Don't you think that when students fill out appraisal forms in high school there is a lot of just plain bitching? You have to look the criticisms.
Quote:

In whatever school I substituted at, I ate in the teacher's lounge. Some are frustrated and bitch about particular students. And some of them brag about how great they think some students they have are. They'll comment about some remarkable thing a student said in class or something. But mostly, when they bitch, it's about the lack of support and the frustrations of the job. They have to vent someplace, because the rest of the world thinks it's a breeze job with 2 months in the summer off.
I don't think anyone thinks it's a breeze job. But they seem to think they are the only ones who have a hard job. They don't have a monopoly on being underappreciated or having a hard day. My father owned his own company and the employees had NO idea how hard he worked. But they had a lot of opions on how easy it all was.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-01-2003, 04:27 PM   #49
Ruinel
Banned

You're still not answering my question.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 PM   #50
jerseydevil

Quote:
You're still not answering my question.
I didn't see the question. Yes - I would be a teacher. But I would prefer to just mentor and donate my time to teacher a high school class - like I did before. My cousin is studying to be a teacher.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #51
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I didn't see the question. Yes - I would be a teacher. But I would prefer to just mentor and donate my time to teacher a high school class - like I did before. My cousin is studying to be a teacher.
Don't take offense, I certainly don't mean it as such. I think volunteering at a school is great, but there's a big difference in stress levels between volunteering and actually being accountable to the job of teaching.

I suppose now I only need to hear from Hobbit.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:17 PM   #52
jerseydevil

Quote:
Don't take offense, I certainly don't mean it as such. I think volunteering at a school is great, but there's a big difference in stress levels between volunteering and actually being accountable to the job of teaching.
It may not be the same - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be a teacher. All jobs have their own stress and all jobs include being underappreciated.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-01-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #53
HOBBIT

Of course not, its not that great a job

Maybe a history teacher.

Or then again, maybe not. Not everyone is cut out to be teachers.

Why do you say HS students can't understand how hard it is to make lesson plans? Yeah hard, it still doesn't excuse the bad ones. So what? A lot of jobs require hard work. Does that make it ok to have bad teachers?

Maybe the first few years it is really hard - but after you are teaching the same class 5 times a day for like 5 + years, I'd think that it would become easier!

The teachers would at that point be well familiar with the books and curriculum, and it wouldn't be too hard to adjust to minor changes. Basically do similiar, if not same thing, every year.

What point are you trying to make? This topic is about ratemyteacher.com - and i think it is right in being there.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 PM   #54
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

Why do you say HS students can't understand how hard it is to make lesson plans? Yeah hard, it still doesn't excuse the bad ones. So what? A lot of jobs require hard work. Does that make it ok to have bad teachers?
I agree with the fact that there are good teachers - but that doesn't excuse the bad the ones. I don't think students know how hard it is to make lesson plans and grading. But it is true that a lot of times it's just the same thing year after year.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-02-2003, 03:39 PM   #55
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I agree with the fact that there are good teachers - but that doesn't excuse the bad the ones. I don't think students know how hard it is to make lesson plans and grading. But it is true that a lot of times it's just the same thing year after year.
Teachers don't always teach the same thing year after year. They sign a contract that says they'll teach any subject that the administration tells them to teach (at least in Texas). So, they don't always teach the same class, but they might teach the same subject. For example, they might teach World History one year, and then American History the next, or Government. Or if they are in the science department, Biology one year, and Anatomy the next. That means they need to make all new tests, new lessons, etc.

And unfortunately, because a teacher is popular doesn't mean that the students are learning. I knew a chemistry teacher when I was in college that was damn easy, everyone wanted him because his tests were easy and his assignments few. Your grade was pretty much if he liked you so everyone was nice to him. I ended up taking him, but I learned the following semester that I didn't learn anything that would help me in the next class. It was quite a struggle for me that following semester. I had to learn everything I didn't learn from the popular teacher.

I am not by any means saying that the bad teachers shouldn't be kicked out. Unfortunately, teachers, good or bad, are pretty much lumped into the same dirt pile.

I've substituted for some of the teachers that I know here and their students do learn. I know they are good teachers, everything they do is for their students and it's not just lip service, they really are devoted. But they are all talking about finding other work.

They're tired of getting it from all sides and the lack of support from parents, administration, and the general public. They're tired of doing their job (presenting the materials the state requires them to) and getting $h!t from the students AND THE PARENTS for it. (Teachers don't just pull that stuff out of their @$$ you know. )

I think the general public, students and parents are pretty in the dark about what goes on behind the scenes. If they knew what goes into teaching, they wouldn't be so quick to critisize. And I don't think the general public knows the seriousness of the teacher crisis. It's going to get much worse in the years to come, because I don't see any changes coming up that will make good teachers want to stay in the profession.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:47 PM   #56
jerseydevil

Well that doesn't there aren't bad teachers - or that teachers don't deserve criticism.

As for teachers teaching the same thing - mine all taught the same subjects year after year. But I went to a smaller high school. Tristan would have to say whether he thinks it's the norm for NJ for teachers to keep their schedule year after year. I know in Seymour high school they did.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #57
HOBBIT

A majority of teachers suck, period

No bullshit about what they have to go through.

Its rare to have a semi-decent teacher let along a good one.

After what, about a decade in school and 12 grades practically under my belt, I'd have to say ive had MAYBE 3 good teachers, and only a handful of decent ones. What about the other 20-30 teachers I've had over the years? ALL SUCKED.

Like I said, teachers now are morons - got average grades in high school (some straight Cs) etc. My history teacher is a moron - he went to the county community college.

You don't learn anything from these idiots.

Besides the idiots, all teachers go on power trips, usually most will NEVER ADMIT to being wrong, hold grudges, play favorites, TRY TO EXACT REVENGE ON STUDENTS, etc.

Obviously those defending teachers (runiel et all) have a teacher or two as a parent or personal friend.

Like I said, a few are good - but a majority suck.

There should be a place where you can go and say the truth.
------
Oh and to answer JDs q - in NJ teachers pretty much teach the same exact subject year after year, with maybe minor curriculum changes every 10 years and maybe a new edition of a book every 7-10 years.

On occasions, teachers will be switched between grades but this is not the norm. Like my english teacher teaches sophomores and seniors (honors and ap - so bmilder and I have same english teacher for this year) this year and last year she taught freshmen.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:15 PM   #58
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

Obviously those defending teachers (runiel et all) have a teacher or two as a parent or personal friend.

..or are one themselves. But really, I had the same experience -- I had only a few GOOD teachers my whole 1st through 12th grade experience. A few more were decent. But most were ineffective or just bad.
(BTW, I guess the language filter doesn't apply to admins? )
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:17 PM   #59
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i dont know alot fo my teachers have been pretty good but then again i go to smaller schools so teachers get to know you better. i know some teachers who are assholes and cant be morons but in my experience i havent had to many bad teachers
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:45 PM   #60
HOBBIT

well if the filter doesn't pick it up then its not filter blocking now is it?

asshole and bullshit apparently arent recognized by it