Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2003, 12:32 AM   #41
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I have a very large space next to my television covered by glass doors. There are three shelves in the space, and they are all covered with books. The books are not stacked neatly, or at least not practically, they are packed so that they will fit. I think every book is a Tolkien book, some of the same, only different editions, but everyone is a Tolkien book. Outside the space around the house I think I have two or three more. You know what the sad part is? I don't read any of them anymore. Time was when I could pick up any one of those books and start reading from any point, and enjoy myself. But I can't do it anymore! I cannot read the Lord of the Rings! Not at all! I open the book up to any page, and I know exactly what is happening. I can quote the characters, I know they are going to say. I've read it that many times. So now sadly, I've finally reached the edge. I can't go any further, at least not with the Lord of the Rings, but the other books a bit too familiar now a days too, and the Lord of the Rings always fueled the energy. So I don't read Tolkien anymore. Sad, isn't it? I'll have to wait a long time before I get at it again.

Of course, there are two Tolkien books I don't have, one of them is one of the History of the Lord of the Rings books, but I'm not interested in that. The other is Tolkien's essay, I think it's called On Gods and Monsters. Maybe I'll pick that up.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 06-20-2003 at 12:33 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:38 AM   #42
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I know what you mean. I've experienced similar sentiments when I try to read LotR lately, as well. It's quite sad.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #43
azalea
Long lost mooter

Rian -- Good idea, that's a good point about not having a storyline to follow. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, adn although sadly I can't read in the car (I get car sick very easily ), I WILL bring Letters on the trip, so I can read it while I'm vacationing!! Yay!! I'm so excited now!

RE: Reading LotR too many times -- That's part of the reason I've only read it twice (and the one time I had it read to me as a child). I know it very well from those three times, and yet I want it to remain fresh and exciting each time I read it. I do plan to read it again soon because my husband has never read it, and I want to read it with him so we can discuss it together, but after that I won't again for a long time (aside from using it for reference).
On the other hand, there are all those other books that I haven't read, as well as The Silmarillion to reread, so I still have a lot of uncharted ME/ Tolkien to explore.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I enjoyed WoTJ during our vacation, and found the spot where it says female dwarves have beards! I think MR is still my favorite HoME book, tho. I love the Athrabeth! (Hi SGH and Artanis!)

Re reading too many times - I haven't read LoTR for a few years now, but I'm having fun in HoME!

Ñólendil - did you ever get to "Smith of Wootten Major"? I always wanted to hear your opinion on that.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-01-2003 at 05:44 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #45
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Yay - RÃ*an is back and she's having fun in home!

I don't understand how anyone can be tired of LotR. I've read it 7 times, and I love it more each time. How many times do I have to read before I'll think it's dull? I want to know so I can stop before that.

I don't have any favourite among Tolkiens books, that is, my favourite tend to be the one I last read, or am reading. Which now is BoLT.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Yay - RÃ*an is back and she's having fun in home!

That's HoME, not home - right now, my home is a mess after a week of camping in the high desert in Arizona near the Grand Canyon - dirt in everything, and bills a-waitin' for me .... drat! We were camping in a very remote place and had to pack in our own water - I felt like Sam stinting himself in Mordor - what a luxury to get to a faucet with running water again and take long, wonderful showers! I felt like singing Bilbo's bath song - "O! Water Hot is a noble thing!"

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 07-01-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:39 PM   #47
azalea
Long lost mooter

I've finally started Letters, and it's great! It's almost a real page-turner! (I'm actually finding it an easier read than The Silm, and I'm normally not big on non-fiction!)
Old 07-06-2003, 11:12 PM   #48
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I've finally started Letters, and it's great! It's almost a real page-turner! (I'm actually finding it an easier read than The Silm, and I'm normally not big on non-fiction!)
Ah, Letters! I know what you mean about being easier than the Silmarillion. I started it about a week ago and I am reeeaally enjoying it!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:07 AM   #49
Rían

Good - more Letter- readers! I think I would rather have "Letters" than any of the HoME books.

Anyone else read "Smith of Wootton Major" yet?

Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 AM   #50
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

This is really frustrating- I can't buy either Letters or MR (which I want to read the most) because Borders doesn't have either. Letters is out of print in Australia, and the only way I know how to get it is to obtain a place in Monash Uni, Melbourne, and borrow it from their library. No other library in my area has it, nor any bookstore. MR, I want to buy, but I suppose I could borrow it from the library. Lucky Americans/Europeans- your Letters is in print, right? Argh!

I have't read Smith of Wootton Major yet, but I read some of Roverandom. It's really cute.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #51
azalea
Long lost mooter

Could you get it online? Or would the shipping charges be too much?
Rian, I read Smith quite a while back (I posted briefly about it in one of the threads). I found it to be quite a strange story, but enjoyable nonetheless. It SEEMED to have some symbolism (is symbolism necessarily allegory?), and I kept trying to determine if I was understanding what was meant by certain things. But at this point I can't think of any examples, because it's been a while.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:06 AM   #52
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

It would probably be too expensive. It's not only the shipping, but also the cost of the book itself- remembering how much more the US dollar or the pound are larger than the Aussie Dollar.
At Borders they said I could get it for about $57 AUD. (I think). $50 for the book, and $7 for the shipping. I don't know if I want to buy double the usual price for it, but everyone keeps reccommending it here. I'm looking for a cheaper option.

What's Smith about briefly?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:27 PM   #53
azalea
Long lost mooter

Very briefly, it's about a man who discovers the land of Faerie.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:30 PM   #54
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I love the "Handbook of the wise of middle-earth" (translated title), but it is a german book and I don't think that it has been translated.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:55 AM   #55
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
This is really frustrating- I can't buy either Letters or MR (which I want to read the most) because Borders doesn't have either. Letters is out of print in Australia, and the only way I know how to get it is to obtain a place in Monash Uni, Melbourne, and borrow it from their library. No other library in my area has it, nor any bookstore. MR, I want to buy, but I suppose I could borrow it from the library. Lucky Americans/Europeans- your Letters is in print, right? Argh!
ummmm is this Borders a bookstore in Chadstone (sorry melb always confuses me and i only know how to get to the Candy Kitchen, Minotaur and the MCG ) anyway if it is i thought i saw a copy of MR earlier this year or late last year... have you tried Readers Feast, i like that bookstore and it usually has the books i want... hehehe mam works at Latrobe so i make her look for books i want but cant find
btw the aussie dollars heaps better at the moment, a friend just bought an Illustrated Watership Down off Ebay and it cost him $180 AU and it is would have cost him $250 normally...
Old 07-12-2003, 01:25 PM   #56
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Rian, I read Smith quite a while back (I posted briefly about it in one of the threads). I found it to be quite a strange story, but enjoyable nonetheless. It SEEMED to have some symbolism (is symbolism necessarily allegory?), and I kept trying to determine if I was understanding what was meant by certain things. But at this point I can't think of any examples, because it's been a while.
Just saw this....

I found it rather strange, too, which was why I wanted other people's opinions, esp. Ñólendil's. I found a bit in Letters that cleared it up a bit:
Quote:
letter 299 -
An old man's book, already weighted with the presage of 'bereavement'.
There's just a heavy sense of sadness running thru that story, and of time running out, and that letter explained it a bit. But there's elements in it that I don't understand at all, either.

Old 07-12-2003, 10:42 PM   #57
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oh, I haven't gottenthat far in Letters yet... that's interesting and kind of sad. I'll have to check it out from the library this week and reread it so we can discuss further.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #58
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ummmm is this Borders a bookstore in Chadstone (sorry melb always confuses me and i only know how to get to the Candy Kitchen, Minotaur and the MCG ) anyway if it is i thought i saw a copy of MR earlier this year or late last year...
Yes, I'm talking about that Borders. Right now, the only MR they have is in one of those special 6-in-1 HoMes. (I can't remember exactly how many there were). I really like those HoMe editions with gorgeous front covers- I think they're blue or something, with lovely pictures. I want all my HoMes like that. My Hobbit, Silm & UT are all black-covered, my LotR all have John Howe illustrations. I like categorisation.

Soon I'm buying a near-new edition of Letters from a bookstore that sells out-of-print books, for $50. My most expensive book yet. Mum rolled her eyes when I said I'd get another Tolkien book. (No, 6 books is not enough. )

Quote:
btw the aussie dollars heaps better at the moment
Yes, that's true. It's about 65 US cents I think. But it's still expensive importing books. This Indonesian dictionary I wanted to get imported via Borders would have cost me over $100, if I got it imported. Fortunately, I looked around and found it in Latrobe Uni Bookstore, where I got it for $50. Woohoo!