Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #41
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
It is how people are, but that is real life, not Entmoot. Entmoot is a MB with rules, and the rules are neccessary. That seems to be one of the major problems that folks don't understand.
I know that. But I meant that's why people spam. (or i do sometimes) Its hard to see Entmoot as a different place than real life.

I don't mind if people put the right answer or corrects a mistake I've made I just dont want them to make me feel like Im the dumbest person on earth while they do it.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:30 AM   #42
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Threads I would close, would be the Most Wanted Mooters.........Jonathon Calendar Thread (I can't believe this was allowed to stay open, there are eleven yr old kids on here) and the Entmoot Mudwrestling Thread (sorry Jon) .........by their nature they are exclusive to the folks featured in the Websites the threads are concerning :/ (and I'm in two of them )
Can't believe you'd close the Jonathan Calendar because of that. The joke came about because of the stuff which was said in the Swimsuit Calendar thread - which YOU participated in. If you're concerned about 11 year olds reading that - then I think you, baby-k and Ruinel should try to keep the constant sexual innuendo out of your posts. Sorry - but for a while there you and Baby-K had a sex talk going on in almost every thread. Even the Anything thread was full of you and baby-k carrying on sexual related questions. At least you admitted - now you just have to stop or bring it down a couple a hunderd notches.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #43
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Back to Kahmul's point about Mods not being able to curb rule breakers in a timely fashion....Even if a person who is rude, crude and breaks the rules, is told three days later to get his/her act together or leave, it helps curb the "decline", and spares the quality posters and innocent lurkers from having to wade through more and more negative posts. Mod's shouldn't have to feel "overworked" I would think Moderating a forum should be a good experience. (usually! )
Well last year when i would start a thread - I would mod my own thread I created. I wanted to make sure that what I had created and wanted to discuss stayed on topic. People could moderate their own threads. It doesn't help though if the creater then participates in the spamming session - but as long as it goes back on topic within 4 -5 posts, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think when you have to wade through page after page of spam it gets to be a bit much.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #44
Ruinel
Banned

Ah, SGH, letting the foxes govern the hen house. Interesting.

I've spent some time this morning reading the posts in this thread. Wow.

I'm about to say something that is going to piss most, if not all of you, off. So, be it.

First, what a bunch of hypocrites! In this thread, I see people trashing threads that are risque who themselves post spam after spam of sexual inuendo, and encourage it in others. I see people trashing spammers, who I have observed to be 'consistent spammers.' People who post snide remarks in their posts toward other members under the guise of being 'sweet', sticking their holier than thou noses into the air, and now condemn those that do the same.

Second, about the 'cliquish' threads: I must be in the 'out crowd' because I would never allow myself to be in any 'in crowd'. And I don't see any of that going on. If you want to be a part of the discussion, then jump in.

I rarely see any posts where someone is actually called a name, and sometimes I think, 'yeah, they deserved it'. But I know the rules and I've fought with myself to edit what I say (admitting that I'm not always successful).

From what I'm reading here, some of you want to turn this MB into a dead semi-psuedo-intellectual discussion board where you can post a mild opinion here and there, but don't back it up with any real quotes from the books, which have been called 'obscure' here, b/c that would just scare people away. My message to you: stop being intimidated by that. Learn from it instead. I have. I owe my Tengwar to RĂ*an, I owe my Quenya to OrnelĂ*rĂ« MistĂ« and Falagar and others who post in the Tolkien Languages thread. I owe much more from these "'Loremaster' gas bags".

For those of you who have posted here, I say let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone. And if, by some chance, you can see in your hearts that you have sinned then think back upon what you have posted here against others. Instead of condemning and judging, be a model of good behavior yourselves and perhaps others will follow your lead.

I have sinned, and I know it. Therefore, the stone at my feet is kicked away. But I will not stand idly by and let you stone others.

And now that I have pissed off all the hypocrites here... bite me.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-17-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #45
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

*Mumbles something about the pot calling the kettle black.*

You know, contrary to belief, I don't think people here believe that the world revolves around you, and I hardly think they're gonna be concerned at being called hypocrites by a hypocrite. My two cents.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #46
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana

You know, contrary to belief, I don't think people here believe that the world revolves around you, and I hardly think they're gonna be concerned at being called hypocrites by a hypocrite. My two cents.
Yeah - I think everyone has been a spammer at one point or another. It's impossible not have spammed during the course of 1+ years. I think there is occasional spamming and then constant spamming where a discussion between two people goes on for pages. There is PM, IM, ICQ - if people want to have a conversation like that.

SGH sometimes even spams once in a while or participates in an off topic discussion - but it's just knowing when enough is enough and putting an end to it and getting the thread back on topic.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #47
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:

Reread it. I said I was guilty as well at doing these things. But I'm not going to condemn, as has been done here in this thread by others. And there isn't anything at all about the world revolving around me (I have no idea where you get that impression). I'm only a cog in the wheel. I'm sorry that this upsets you, but people need some reflection upon what they do and say before everyone jumps in on the stoning.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Here's the thing Ruinel, this thread isn't about finger pointing, or accusing others of doing things that most all have done. Hypocrits or not, It is about changing our ways for the good of the board and the pleasure of its members. That's all it's about.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #49
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Actually, I was referring to your very own holier than thou attitude taken up in some of the other threads. And I really have no wish to re-read your posts any more than necessary, thank-you-very-much. I've already had to scroll through several pages of them.

Anyway, I had better get to sleep (4.30am) before I get even more cranky.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #50
jerseydevil

Quote:
Anyway, I had better get to sleep (4.30am) before I get even more cranky.
I knew I wasn't the only crazy one to stay up until 4:30 - 5:00am.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 12:38 PM   #51
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Here's the thing Ruinel, this thread isn't about finger pointing, or accusing others of doing things that most all have done. Hypocrits or not, It is about changing our ways for the good of the board and the pleasure of its members. That's all it's about.
Sorry. I woke up, read the first page. Scrolled through the tripe people were saying and I felt compelled to stop it before it got out of hand. Some of the worst are the first to point the finger here. They all need a moment to reflect on their own deeds.

Maybe Sheeana's right, by writing the above post I too am a hypocrite. So, be it.

But to all those who have posted your accusations here, I say: take a moment, if you will, to reflect on yourself and what you do yourself. Speak for yourself with your actions and not by whom you condemn.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #52
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think the board's staff should be more careful with their posts than the other members. Their behaviour in the threads is a signal to everyone else on what's accepted and what's not accepted. If a mod goes far OT in a thread, then people will think it's OK for everyone. Not that I've seen much of such *bad behaviour* from the staff here.

I also agree with Lizra's last post. When occasions of spamming isn't commented by the mods, again other members will think it's OK.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #53
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Very nice of you to not say names I suppose Ruinel I noticed that a lot of people said they too were guilty of these things they said they had problems with.
Besides if we get past the whole, oh well you do that too thing, we can get some good advice on how to clean up the General messages which was the point of this thread in the first place.
I don't want a boring flit in flit out convo and I do want to learn all the things that I can but once bitten twice shy. I don't want the right answer or wording to be beaten into me.
And its not so easy to jump in as you put it. Cause you have no idea what everyone is spamming about! And it annoys people to ask them to explain inside jokes. (once again im guilty of this with the whole Jonathan thing)
And no one is stoning anyone. We (most of us) are stating what we find wrong with GM and how we would like to change it and we should be able to do it without being called a hypocrite

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #54
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
I don't want a boring flit in flit out convo and I do want to learn all the things that I can but once bitten twice shy. I don't want the right answer or wording to be beaten into me.
You are right, people should be more considerate if they are going to correct. I've been bitten myself, on several occasions. But don't be shy of all dogs you meet if only one or two bites.
Quote:
And its not so easy to jump in as you put it. Cause you have no idea what everyone is spamming about! And it annoys people to ask them to explain inside jokes. (once again im guilty of this with the whole Jonathan thing)
Ah, no, you misunderstand me. I don't mean 'jump into a spam' I mean 'jump into a meaningful and serious discussion'. It was said that some of the members refrain from posting in the serious discussions because they are intimidated. Don't be! Don't wear your ego out there. I've been corrected on a number of times. It doesn't stop me, and it shouldn't stop you. I would love to hear your views on any of the serious topics.
Quote:
And no one is stoning anyone. We (most of us) are stating what we find wrong with GM and how we would like to change it and we should be able to do it without being called a hypocrite
I'm referring to those posts with accusations for others while they do the same themselves. And some people didn't say they were guilty (unless they've gone back and edited those posts) who were in fact so. I was not calling everyone a hypocrite. Actually, I'm proud and touched that some of the Mooters have admitted their errors and have pledged to change. Sorry if it came off like I was calling everyone a hypocrite. I know it was a little strong, as it was intended to end the finger pointing. And I knew when I wrote it that it would make a lot of people mad at me for doing so. My intent is for people who are the worst to make a change in themselves first before pointing that finger (hence, not to cast the first stone). Hope this helps.

So, my stand is: if the Mooters here do not approve of the behavior of others (spamming, sexual innuendo, off-topic conversations, snide remarks and name calling) then make that change in yourself first. Others will follow your example.

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-17-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #55
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Can't believe you'd close the Jonathan Calendar because of that. The joke came about because of the stuff which was said in the Swimsuit Calendar thread - which YOU participated in. If you're concerned about 11 year olds reading that - then I think you, baby-k and Ruinel should try to keep the constant sexual innuendo out of your posts. Sorry - but for a while there you and Baby-K had a sex talk going on in almost every thread. Even the Anything thread was full of you and baby-k carrying on sexual related questions. At least you admitted - now you just have to stop or bring it down a couple a hunderd notches.
Yup, call me wierd but I would close a thread that was centered around pictures of grown men wearing nothing but a thong *shrugs*

I readily admit making sexual innuendo, probably will again in the future......if the admins decide it is too much, I'll be banned. SGH hair was good enough to take the time to issue a warning, and thanks to that I know what the consequences will be....a lot of 'mooters don't like that kind of post, but then there are a lot who do *shrugs again*

Quote:
Yeah - I think everyone has been a spammer at one point or another. It's impossible not have spammed during the course of 1+ years. I think there is occasional spamming and then constant spamming where a discussion between two people goes on for pages. There is PM, IM, ICQ - if people want to have a conversation like that.
This is slightly off-topic but I think it's worth mentioning.

My preffered method of communicating with 'mooters is via PM (if ya think I post a lot on the main boards, yer should see me PM correspondance) but the problem is that the PM system is pathetic I can live with the 120 second rule, no problem there, it usually takes me longer than that type a reply.......what really bugs me about PM is the pathetic limit to how long it can be, not to mention the stupid limit of 40 PMs ......I mean honestly, some PM conversations are now 4-5 posts long to single peopld .........is there any way we can get the PM length enlarged?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:19 PM   #56
jerseydevil

Quote:
Yup, call me wierd but I would close a thread that was centered around pictures of grown men wearing nothing but a thong *shrugs*
Well - most people took it as a joke which it was meant to be. I'm sure you wouldn't have had any problems if it was female mooters on that website. And if you didn't like it - you didn't have to look at the site - nor did you have to read the thread.

U agree with the PM limit size. Anyone that tries to PM me - knows that they constantly get "mailbox is full" messages. But my feeling is that PM is not a chat utility nor is it supposed to be. Ben has to pay for the disk space and the band width. I would much rather people talk to me through IM - which is more of one on one conversation or us e-mail which is basically the same thing as PM without any limits.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-17-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:35 PM   #57
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Well - most people took it as a joke which it was meant to be. I'm sure you wouldn't have had any problems if it was female mooters on that website. And if you didn't like it - you didn't have to look at the site - nor did you have to read the thread.
I don't take any personal offence by the website........nudity, either male or female doen't offend me. But I know that if I had an eleven yr old daughter I wouldn't be very comfortable with her viewing that kinda thread.

Quote:
U agree with the PM limit size. Anyone that tries to PM me - knows that they constantly get "mailbox is full" messages. But my feeling is that PM is not a chat utility nor is it supposed to be. Ben has to pay for the disk space and the band width. I would much rather people talk to me through IM - which is more of one on one conversation or us e-mail which is basically the same thing as PM without any limits.
Then I wonder what they-who-must-be-obeyed think the PM system is actually for? ............Yup, there are other forms of electronic communication, I don't give out my email to 'mooters tho' (cept on rare occasions).

Beatallica
Old 05-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #58
jerseydevil

Quote:
I don't take any personal offence by the website........nudity, either male or female doen't offend me. But I know that if I had an eleven yr old daughter I wouldn't be very comfortable with her viewing that kinda thread.
Oh - the stuff in that thread was nothing near some of the conversations you've had on various threads. You're attitude is completely off the wall there.
Quote:

Then I wonder what they-who-must-be-obeyed think the PM system is actually for? ............
it's for quickly contacting someone from entmoot - once you've established a relationship or are going to carry on a conversation - move it to some other format - such as IM or e-mail.
Quote:

Yup, there are other forms of electronic communication, I don't give out my email to 'mooters tho' (cept on rare occasions).
Then maybe it would be a good idea if you set up a hotmail account or something just for mooters who you wanted to communicate with. There are a thousand ways to get around your problem if you think about it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #59
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Oh - the stuff in that thread was nothing near some of the conversations you've had on various threads. You're attitude is completely off the wall there.
I don't think so.......I see a lot of differnce between a thread centered around semi-naked pictures and innuendo that breaks out between 'mooters in other threads. Let me ask you a question......if you had an 11 yr old daughter and you found her browsing that website.........what would you do?

Quote:
it's for quickly contacting someone from entmoot - once you've established a relationship or are going to carry on a conversation - move it to some other format - such as IM or e-mail.
But doesn't make any sense........you could just as easily establish a connection through IM or E-mail.......therefore that reason makes PM totally redundant.

Quote:
Then maybe it would be a good idea if you set up a hotmail account or something just for mooters who you wanted to communicate with. There are a thousand ways to get around your problem if you think about it.
I could, but after the hate-mail I recieved following my post's in the Iraq thread.......I prefer the annonymity the PM system affords (I know that many 'mooters don't wish to/aren't allowed by their parents give alternative contact detail either).

Like you said tho', it's up to Ben.......he's paying for this party. Mebbe we should all buy a sweater from the Tolkien Trail Shop!

Beatallica
Old 05-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #60
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Yah (about the sexual indou/PG13 thing)..... I just have to make my point. I (personally) need the PG13 thing to stay as good as it isbecause one time my mom walked in on me. One time I was reading one post that had a death-smilie in it (when people where joking around and saying what they could do to Jonathan, one person had a death smilie kinda thing). My mom walked in and saw it, and had a hairy. She said that if she saw anything unapproprite or of the sort again, that I would be banned from entmoot (for good). I know that the other people have a right to discuss what they will (so long as the mods/admins let them), but I was just stating that........ yah.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote