Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2003, 03:17 PM   #41
azalea
Long lost mooter

I suppose if I had done it myself, I would have had the Flight to the Ford stay the same as the book (generally, although I don't mind nearly as much as most people the way PJ did it), and would have included the feast scene where Frodo first sees Arwen. I would have had the same feeling as when PJ intros Arwen (ethereal music, come hither look, glow, whatever), and would have kept the love scene on the bridge the same, including their exchange in the shrine. I would have included a flashback scene in Lothlorien, perhaps w/ Galadriel and Aragorn talking or something, to dramatize when they first met.
In TTT, I would have skipped their whole spat, but I would have included her scene w/ Elrond, although I would have changed it so that it was a different tone and changed the dialogue. I would have kept in the part where he thinks of their conversation (the first flashback scene), but again I would have done things a little differently (ie, camera angles -- ooh, I could see a nice shot from above, and a breeze blows through and mingles her hair w/ his. Or from the side, a profile of the two of them, as they look down, and then look up into each other's eyes.)
Just my quick thoughts.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:40 PM   #42
high
Sapling

Have any of you got a heart?

Of course its important, it can't all be battle,battle,battle otherwise it would be boring- it shows tenderness in aragorns heart, and also the choice of going with her people who staying with her love.
Heroic self-sacrificing death scene ruined by arrival of Gandalf and still-insufferable Eomer. Why did Gandalf wait until dawn to arrive? Suspect is so he would be most attractively backlit while riding down hill. Drama Queen. Have gotten revenge on him by telling all my men Gandalf is wearing fishnets under white robe. First one who snaps his garter gets to snog Legolas.

Who wields the flame of Arnor now, you poncy tosser?

Finally some decent fighting: Orcs killed: hundreds. Humans killed: 1- go Uruk-Hai!

V. bored in Barad-Dur. Nothing to do but play Scrabble with Orcs. Is v. annoying as Orcs only know Black Speech of Mordor. You try spelling Azg Nazg Gimbatul for a triple word score. Yeah, I didn't think so.
high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 05:29 PM   #43
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

I don't think that the Arwen-Aragorn kissing is really that important. I haven't seen anywhere in the book where that happens.....hmmmmm
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #44
azalea
Long lost mooter

I wouldn't define what is important based on whether or not it is dramatized in the book, though. There are things that are implied in the text that are important, and would or did work well acted out. Althought the kissing isn't important per se, it fits in that it shows just how deeply they feel for each other. I wouldn't have cared if it hadn't been included, but it added a nice touch of realism.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:28 PM   #45
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, I like the kissing, (heh heh) I always get a little frustrated in FoTR that they don't embrace more in the pretty shot with the Enya song. I would have been all over my man at the ford, not putting a sword to his throat and making a joke! I don't get that.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 AM   #46
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by high
Have any of you got a heart?

Of course its important, it can't all be battle,battle,battle otherwise it would be boring- it shows tenderness in aragorns heart, and also the choice of going with her people who staying with her love.
The book has very little of their romance in the LOTR proper, but it is hardly all battle, battle, battle.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:03 AM   #47
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Maybe the extra love scenes were added to break up what would otherwise be "battle battle battle" in the movie.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:41 AM   #48
Gwaimir Windgem

In a very 'battlo-centric' movie.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-08-2003, 06:35 AM   #49
high
Sapling

exactly. All Peter Jackson is doing is spiltting up the appendix into each of the three books- to make it more intresting.
Heroic self-sacrificing death scene ruined by arrival of Gandalf and still-insufferable Eomer. Why did Gandalf wait until dawn to arrive? Suspect is so he would be most attractively backlit while riding down hill. Drama Queen. Have gotten revenge on him by telling all my men Gandalf is wearing fishnets under white robe. First one who snaps his garter gets to snog Legolas.

Who wields the flame of Arnor now, you poncy tosser?

Finally some decent fighting: Orcs killed: hundreds. Humans killed: 1- go Uruk-Hai!

V. bored in Barad-Dur. Nothing to do but play Scrabble with Orcs. Is v. annoying as Orcs only know Black Speech of Mordor. You try spelling Azg Nazg Gimbatul for a triple word score. Yeah, I didn't think so.
high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #50
Gwaimir Windgem

I don't remember her hijacking Asfaloth in the Appendix, or taking the Shards of Narsil to Aragorn.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-08-2003, 04:59 PM   #51
aragorn_is_mine
Sapling

Strider

I think what many of you said is very true, The scenes help define Aragorn as a person. They help you understand why he is so secretive especially when Eowyn asks him who gave him the evenstar pendant. He remains silent. If the scenes arent there people who have not read the books will wonder why they maryy, i cant remember who but someone said it is strange that Arwen puts a knife to his throat instead of saying "Hello, I have not seen you for so long". That is exactly why she does not say that. She actually says "Whats this, a ranger caught of his guard?" She is pleased with the fact she caught him. Anywho, you dont want to listen to me all day. Peace out
Old 03-08-2003, 07:15 PM   #52
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

She holds her sword to his throat, and makes joke, "What's this, a ranger caught off his guard." I said......if I hadn't seen the love of my life in such a long time, I would not be joking around like that. Reread my posts!
Old 03-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #53
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome aragorn_is_mine, I love yer signature!

It's doesn't really matter how Arwen acts in the movie. The love story isn't super important, Arwen is a plot device to make Aragorn seem more human.

It's relevant, and somewhat important, but there are several plots that are more important. Along those lines, Arwen doesn't get more screen time than the main characters, as it should be.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:19 AM   #54
Gwaimir Windgem

One of which I at least would consider to be the Scouring of the Shire.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-09-2003, 06:22 AM   #55
aragorn_is_mine
Sapling

Strider

Hiya again, I agree, it isnt super important but it makes Aragorn who he is. If it didnt take place then he wouldnt do what he sometimes does and it shows that he isnt just a great warrior, it shows he cares about someone. Especially in Middle Earth during those times, you need something to hold onto, Peace out
Old 03-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #56
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I think it is very important to building up Aragorn's character. I could do without Arwen in the Flight to the Ford, but the scenes in Fellowship between Aragorn and Arwen was a nice touch. It showed their love, Arwen's choosing to be mortal, and Arwen's faith in Aragorn.
But after that it was not needed. All the stuff in TT was a waste of time that could have been used else where.

Elrond's treatment to their love in the movie really gets to me. Elrond raised Aragorn in Rivendell, taught him of the past and his heritage, and not to mention that Aragorn was his brothers ancestor.

I think Elrond was happy for their love and that is why he said that Arwen could not marry Aragorn unless he was both King of Anor and Gondor. It helped Aragorn to face his destiny.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote