FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Very true

The above post's do (loosely) show one of the downsides of Political Correctness tho'.

Even the word LOVE used in certain situations can be classed as Politically Incorrect.

I use to use the word love as a term of greeting/endearment when I met someone I knew (e.g. When shopping if I met a woman I knew whilst shopping I would say "hello love, how are you?").....this was a pretty common colloquialism.

Nowadays some women take real offense at this ..... even though it was said in a manner not meant to cause offence at all.
True - I worked with someone who was always offended if I referred to woman as "girls" - even though I meant nothing diragatory by it. I still says "girls" - if it offends people - they just need to get over it. As I said - it's not deragatory. Although the term "kid" always offended me. But that's because most adults have a superior attitude toward anyone who is younger than them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:57 PM   #42
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
True - I worked with someone who was always offended if I referred to woman as "girls" - even though I meant nothing diragatory by it. I still says "girls" - if it offends people - they just need to get over it. As I said - it's not deragatory. Although the term "kid" always offended me. But that's because most adults have a superior attitude toward anyone who is younger than them.
whats wrong with calling women girls? i hate peoplethat are over sensative. I like to speak my mind does that render me not politcally correct?
Old 05-16-2003, 11:51 PM   #43
gimli-son-of-gloin13
Elven Warrior

Political correctness annoys me! You can say one thing and it my inncorrect but then you can say the opposite and it will still be inncorrect. *snort* People confuse my head.

Do you have any personality disorders, click here and see!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://public.findlaw.com/states_new.html

Find your rights as a student!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:57 PM   #44
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Did you know "the Hunchback of Notre Dame" is offensive to people so they are changing it to "The Bell Ringer Of Notre Dame"?

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Old 11-28-2003, 02:33 AM   #45
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Time to revive this thread...

Quote:
Los Angeles County officials have gone PC (politically correct) on PCs (personal computers) -- banning as potentially "offensive or defamatory" the words master and slave from computer hard drives and video equipment where they are used to describe primary and secondary circuits.

Under orders from the affirmative action office, county departments have surveyed about 1,000 pieces of equipment and taped over "master/slave" and put "primary/secondary" on the equipment, officials said.

Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services in the Internal Services Department, started the flap with a memo to electronic equipment vendors saying the county wants master and slave labeling removed from computer equipment it buys.

"The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived," he wrote in the Nov. 18 memo.

"One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words 'Master/Slave' appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label."
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...791069,00.html

And what about the matriarchilist term "motherboard"? As a father, I find this denigrating to my skills as a caregiver , and demand it be replaced with "parentboard"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-28-2003 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:47 AM   #46
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

ah yes, political corecctness. nasty stuff.

some loser teen walking to school salutes a college proffesor...
teen-"hey dude"
college proffesser-"do i look like a dude to you young man? huh?! you politiccally incorrect idiot!"

ok, i dont really have much too say on this subject....

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 11-28-2003 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:57 AM   #47
jerseydevil

Graymouser - perfect example of political correctness out of control. That article is the most ridiculous thing in the world. A person being offended because COMPUTER equipment is labeled master/slave. The reason it is labeled master/slave is because the one device is relient on the other one working. It's not really a "primary/secondary" situation.

I find the world is just getting more and more screwed up by this kind of crap. How was the person affected by this? Get a grip and be a frigging ass adult already. That's what the company should have said.

Going along with your cvomment Graymouser - next they'll want to be changing the name for female and male connectors.

I'll add another thing - Only in Los Angeles.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-28-2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:02 AM   #48
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Los Angeles County officials have gone PC (politically correct) on PCs (personal computers) -- banning as potentially "offensive or defamatory" the words master and slave from computer hard drives and video equipment where they are used to describe primary and secondary circuits. Under orders from the affirmative action office, county departments have surveyed about 1,000 pieces of equipment and taped over "master/slave" and put "primary/secondary" on the equipment, officials said. Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services in the Internal Services Department, started the flap with a memo to electronic equipment vendors saying the county wants master and slave labeling removed from computer equipment it buys. "The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived," he wrote in the Nov. 18 memo. "One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words 'Master/Slave' appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label."
yikes. whoever wanted it off must've been some far out weird computer geek/peace loving hippie.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-28-2003, 03:08 AM   #49
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
yikes. whoever wanted it off must've been some far out weird computer geek/peace loving hippie.
LA is just weird. The west coast isn't called the left coast for nothing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-28-2003, 03:10 AM   #50
hectorberlioz

oregon is weird too.
almost just as weird as CA.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-28-2003, 03:14 AM   #51
jerseydevil

Quote:
oregon is weird too.
almost just as weird as CA.
Yeah - I lived in Oregon (Portland) for a year and half. It was the same as LA. You don't have to tell me it's weird there.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-28-2003, 03:18 AM   #52
hectorberlioz

lol. it would be a really entertaining subject to discuss.
you know, all these peace loving and open minded hippies have one thing in common: they're not peace loving hippies.
if you swat a fly; they'll get reall offended, and might even star yelling at you.
if you start twidling sticks; they'll really really get mad....
I guess this connects with Political Correctness somehow....

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #53
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
"The issue was the employee had to operate this equipment and look at the term 'slave and master,' and given their background as an African-American person, I imagine they had different feelings about it," Tafoya said.

"We found the terms were antiquated and offensive to individuals and that a more reasonable term could be used. I think that's what we should do. If it means culture change, then we have to begin someplace.

"This has got some people's hair up on the back of their neck. They believe it's a question of being politically correct. It's not that at all. It's an issue of valuing diversity, respect and dignity for the individual who comes to work here every day. The issue that resonates in different people's minds is a very negative connotation."
How about valuing the language?

With the exception of (maybe) a few Inuit or aborigines, I doubt that there's a person on the planet who doesn't have both slaves and masters among their ancestors.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 11-30-2003, 10:51 PM   #54
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

George Carlin said something like" I guess we have to call David Letterman, David Letterperson."

Why is that Black people can get away with this utter bullshit.

A white person can't say anything for fear of some extreme left wing "socially conscious" white person or some thin skin black person ( yes I said black and not afro american) taking offense.

I movie you can not even have an ethnic criminal without some kind a group taking action.

Soon we will have group of people who will say the Lord of the Rings mispresent the follows of darkness.

An anti-orc defamation league.

As they used to say in the 70's "Negro Please"

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 PM   #55
jerseydevil

A-E - I was telling Jonathan the other day how we have "Black History Month". How I consider it rather condescending. It's as if black people haven't contributed enough to the general good of America to just be celebrated as being honored Americans- they need their own month to be honored based solely on their ethnicity.

I'm white - you're black. There isn't anything racist about that. As Whoopie Goldberg said the one time - "I've been to Africa and I'm NOT African-American, I'm American".

If people would stop trying to find offence in everything - they may find that most people are NOT offensive nor racist. If a person searches for it around every corner - they are bound to perceive it where none actually exists.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-30-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #56
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
As Whoopie Godberg said the one time - "I've been to Africa and I'm NOT African-American, I'm American".
One of my favorite lines.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-01-2003, 12:34 AM   #57
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

definately not PC

here's something from ages ago that goes with your mental image:

Even though afro here means one of African descent as opposed to hair style

But that is a hilarious image an elf with a big 1970’s super bush

I can see legolas with a mega-fro, bell bottoms and platform shoes
Running gently across the snow at Cadehoros (SP?)

What follows may be offensive to those who are, post-modernist, deconstructionist, super liberal, politically correct types or basically anyone who suffered from the post 60’s educational system and doesn’t know it

The history of the first age by afro-elf

See we was chillin’ in da mudda land when this giant valar ( Englishman/American imperialist) comes and says “we are gonna take you to the promised land”

But this evil valar melkor was the leader of a group of people called nazis and they had had captured many of our youths and made them orcs. Now orcs were like our own people but they were corrupted and called themselves niggas instead of the avari word Negro. Basically they were loud and rude and gave all the rest of us a really bad name

Anyway because of melkor the german nazi valar, we did trust this orome dude And we send 3 of our homeys to check it out. They came back and said cool. Except for elwe who was now called thingol. Thingol did trust the valar who he called “whitey” but he did manage to throw down some afro-elf love on one of their woman: melian who he brought back to the motherland. She was down with us and thingol and her made the funkiest land in middle earth. Doraith. We just chilled. Playing smooth jazz, cards and basket ball.

our orc cousins though busied themselves with gangster rap and drive bys and learning black speech (aka) ebonics

now the sell out noldar come back messin’ up our stuff. They’ve been corrupted by whitey and are full greed and venegence over some jewelry

thingol said let whitey’s lackey’s make their own war an the nazis

but whitey’s disease affected us all. Thingol had a fine mulatto daughter who wanted to marry an edain (aka latino, short lived but fast breeding)
we were like at least he aint no sell noldar. Besides he’ll be dead in a few years and we’ll live forever

but NO, he had to go ask for a silmaril. So what happens? He gets killed by dwarves( the forefathers of jews and arabs, they WERE one group at one time) they have long beards will go to war over slights, sequester their women so none can see them and like gold and have a rep for being greedy and stubborn)

then the valar and all their sell out lackey’s wage war in the motherland and mess it up so bad that they destroy it. (talk about exploiting a people)
so after the first age we kinda all went back east to closer to the original home to get back to our roots with our moriquendi( dark-elf) leaders to lorien and greenwood the great.

Hey even galadriel fell for some of the afro-elf love. Celeborn is moriquendi and when they say dark speakers dey jus be jealous of dee afro elf love talk we be don put on some of dere finest women

Speaking of my homey why is everyone down on my man celeborn
He got the finest white woman on the planet, she was tutored my melian i guess she learned well, then some runt dwarf comes to his kingdom and makes a pass at his wife and you expect him to chill?

Come on the dwarves killed his uncle and sacked his home
Then greedy bastards awaken a balrog that leads to the death of amroth another
Kinsman and great lord

peace out

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-01-2003, 02:40 PM   #58
hectorberlioz

wow, afro-elf, that was very entertaining....
lol, i especcially love that quote of jd's above
Quote:
If people would stop trying to find offence in everything - they may find that most people are NOT offensive nor racist. If a person searches for it around every corner - they are bound to perceive it where none actually exists.
is it ok if i put that in my sig jd?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 12-01-2003, 02:59 PM   #59
hectorberlioz

whoa, wow. it i posted twice? i got kicked off my computer just a i posted waht i said above....i guess the reply went through after all....

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 12-01-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:39 PM   #60
jerseydevil

Quote:
wow, afro-elf, that was very entertaining....
lol, i especcially love that quote of jd's above

is it ok if i put that in my sig jd?
Yeah - I feel honored. Of course you can put it in your sig.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread