Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #41
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Darn BB you found me out, Im a stone faced robot who laughs at nothing. Just accept not everything Pj does is genius. Okay yeah, I didnt mind most of the time, but come on...that was overdone.
And chill, its just a movie, and I was just saying my opinion, you dont need to take everything so out of context.
*whines* If you like Pj so much...why dont you marry him! ~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:14 PM   #42
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Obviously BB doesn't realize that laughter is not always about what's funny. They laughed at Gollum until Sam jerked his chain, then they stopped laughing. They were laughing because they were uncomfortable.

Do not seek to convert people via posts on the internet. People are too stupid to be converted to your genius point of view, didn't you know that? Who am I speaking to?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:25 PM   #43
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

So Elfhelm, are you saying Gimli's "toss me" line generated uncomfortable laughter?

I coulda sworn they were belly laughs. I guess I'm not very perceptive.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:28 PM   #44
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The aragorn falling over a cliff scene was [I]horrible[I]. It had no significance to the plot, and added absolutely nothing to the movie. It was a stupid hack job of what happened to gandalf in the first movie; Everything from falling off a cliff, to the 'He has fallen/he fell', to the way lies there stunned and has a vision, to the way he gets up and immediately rides to help. It was horrible.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:52 PM   #45
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I was not impressed with the falling and thought dead nonsense either. What kind of fool does he think I am? And nobody in the theatre thought he was dead. Even people who don't know the story knew darn well that he's the next king and can't die in this scene. That's like saying Kirk is dead or something.

I mean, I can forgive them not using the trees to aid Helm's Deep because that's quite hard to do in a movie. And I suppose substituting the elves in the place of the trees is OK. But I have seen it 5 times now and I still don't like Aragorn falling off a cliff.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:55 PM   #46
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
I was not impressed with the falling and thought dead nonsense either. What kind of fool does he think I am? And nobody in the theatre thought he was dead. Even people who don't know the story knew darn well that he's the next king and can't die in this scene. That's like saying Kirk is dead or something.
I agree, like in the FOTR when the Nagul stab the empty beds, and we were led to believe that the hobbits were sleeping there. It would be hard to believe that Frodo would die half an hour into the movies.
I agree with Wayfarers assesment of Aragorn's 'death'.
P.S. Didn't Kirk die in Generations?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #47
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The Aragorn "fall" was NOT about making people (at least most people anyway) believe that he died. Those of you who believe that is all that plot device was about just don't get it.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 AM   #48
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You're right, BB. We DON'T get it. We don't get why PJ put that scene in.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:33 AM   #49
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The Aragorn "fall" was NOT about making people (at least most people anyway) believe that he died.
yes it was, you idiot. (hey i like taking your approach to this better than my own, sane way!)

Quote:
Those of you who believe that is all that plot device was about just don't get it.
no, you don't get it;
We have told you time and time again, and proved ourselves in the fact that you are wrong and that 99% to 100% of your "facts" are just figments of your own imagination. In fact this whole purist thing that youve got going is a figment of your imagination! I seriously believe that you need serious help, you have to get out of this little dreamworld where you think that one) your the final no questions asked voice on all matters and two) everyone must kiss PJ's fat smelly arse!
why don't you get it? do you want to be seen as such an idiot? i have never figured out why people like you (yes, everyone, there are others) act this way.
Go ahead, post what ever you need to about me to fulfill your own fantasy game, child. Make up your little games and play god as you see fit.
i have never, ever, ever, EVER, been forced to put someone on any kind of ignore list ~
(10 american dollars says that BB hasn't even read this far down yet) ~ butyou have forced me to do so.

now, to be ontopic,
im sorry, but i had to say that before i just imploded from the boiling blood.

otherwise, i actually liked the aragorn faliing part, but i had already known and prepared myself for a great derivation form the books, sooo..
yea, anyways, i liked that part, and the parts with arwen, overall i liked this movie alot more than Fellowship, but it will all come down to RotK. That's my favourite book of all of them, and well, im just interested to see how PJ is going to orchestrate this with some of the plot changes hes taken the liberty of making.

oh, but i say ALL of this with a smile
Old 01-24-2003, 01:36 AM   #50
LuthienTinuviel

has anyone here seen my nasty side before?

haha believe it, i was holding back... but only because there's children around.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:17 AM   #51
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Such friendly people.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:57 AM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
i have never figured out why people like you (yes, everyone, there are others) act this way.
NOOOOoooooo!!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #53
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, let's all just calm down. I don't think this is worth raising our blood pressure over, what hey? If we find someone annoying, yes, let's just ignore. *strokes 'mooters' hair soothingly*
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 07:31 PM   #54
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Yes, let's calm down people. This is supposed to be a DISCUSSION board for crying out loud. While I would love to have you all agree with my incredibly enlightened points of view......it would be pretty boring around here if we all thought alike.

Regarding Aragorn's fall, Jackson used this as a vehicle to assist him in communicating many key themes:

The power of Aragorn's love for Arwen and how it spurs in on beyond physical pain and exhaustion.

The strong bonds of friendship between the Three Hunters.

The growing affection that Eowyn feels towards Aragorn.

AND

Give Aragorn a moment where the audience realizes his hero status and that he is truly the heir of kings (e.g. Numenorian blood).
Old 01-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #55
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Balderdash! The three hunters sundered by an overzealous director. Legolas and Gimli would not leave Aragorn to die like that! How can you call that strong bonds of friendship. It looks more like abandonment to me. Totally out of character. Sure when they thought there was still a chance to help the ringbearer they gave up the other two hobbits for lost. But this isn't the same.

And Gimli's pathetic "He fell ... *sniffle*" is unconvincing because even a great actor can't deliver a shoddy line like that.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:03 PM   #56
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Balderdash! The three hunters sundered by an overzealous director. Legolas and Gimli would not leave Aragorn to die like that! How can you call that strong bonds of friendship. It looks more like abandonment to me. Totally out of character.
Legolas & Gimli didn't leave Aragorn to die--they thought he was dead. The strength of their friendship could be seen on their faces when they realized they'd lost him as they looked down at the water below. It was also seen in Eowyn's face when the company made it to Helm's Deep. In fact, the look on Eowyn's face when it dawned on her that Aragorn had not returned was worth the entire plotline all by itself. What an incredible acting performance. One of the beauties of Jackson is that he doesn't bore you with exposition when he can develop scenes that allow great actors to communicate through their eyes and body language.

I'm realizing that the reason why some of you don't get it is because you want it all explained to you the same way Tolkien did in his books. But movie making requires a screenwriter to figure out ways to communicate the themes more visually. Jackson used the fall of Aragorn to do just exactly that.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:20 PM   #57
LuthienTinuviel

an elf, especially an elf like greenleaf, would not have shown off like that horse trick. (hehe i laughed again when i saw him stumble)

and about that laughter thing, yes, some people thought that the drwarf tossing jokes were funny, but most did not, prbably 98% of the people i talked to (and they haven't read the book) thought that the dwarf thing was redundantly repetitive in it's repitition.

that reminds me, these two girl were laughing at the most serious moments, so by the time arwen's tear shots came up, i was throwing m&m's at them and telling them to shut up. hehe i tacked one in the skull. hahah././ aosujeflkahg

but anyways.Aragorn's reunion with Legolas was awesome, because i would have melted into my shoes is greenleaf had looked me like that. (and i wondered where people got the slash ideas from, silly me)

overall, i liked the changes to this movie, and the little stuff doesn't bother me really. it was ten fold better than FotR, and if this trend continues, then i'll have a large cardboard Pj arse to kiss everynight as well, BB.

and, before i have to hide from the objects aimed at my head, i have to say that i liked aragorn's fall, beacuse it gave us a peek at the tumoil that was going on in the minds of both arwen and aragorn. i always cry way to hard at that scene.

well, like someone said before, what was changed was better than what COULD HAVE happened.

so, with that said, here goes:
Quote:
Legolas & Gimli didn't leave Aragorn to die--they thought he was dead.
and when they thought that boromir was dead they lost ground that they could have gained with the Uruks in order to send him off as properly as they could. Legolas and Gimli would have been more likely to throw them selves off of the clif in search of him than to just leave, EVEN WITH the looks that they gave Theoden.

Quote:
I'm realizing that the reason why some of you don't get it is because you want it all explained to you the same way Tolkien did in his books.
have you ever even read the books? you have to do alot of guessing, if tolkien would have explained everything then the books would number about 22 instead of 6.
i feel that we have to explain everything to you. and i bet you feel that you need to explain things to us, usuing satire that completely undermines anything intelligent that you may have said above.

really, i agree with you on this, BB, but you don't need to always cut everyone down like that. you have great posts, and some of them are really well thought out, but it's always in the last paragraph that you say something along the lines of " stupid fat purists, ruining pj's vision, you keep nasty books"

and if anyone wonders why i cut BB down, well here's another transformed movie line :
i show no mercy because i receive none.

so, im sorry for being a little pissant about it, but really, grow some brains, child!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #58
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Lordy, Lordy, Rev. Blackie has performed another miracle on this board!!! LuthienTinuviel has converted to Jacksonism!!! I knew it was only a matter of time before she'd open her heart and see The Light.

The rest of you Purists shouldn't feel left out. There's plenty of room inside Rev. Blackie's big kiwi tent for all of you.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:16 PM   #59
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What are you doing here?! Get out of MY country! *Kicks BB in the heiny.*

Never liked smug little smart asses.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-24-2003 at 10:18 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #60
LuthienTinuviel

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Lordy, Lordy, Rev. Blackie has performed another miracle on this board!!! LuthienTinuviel has converted to Jacksonism!!! I knew it was only a matter of time before she'd open her heart and see The Light.

The rest of you Purists shouldn't feel left out. There's plenty of room inside Rev. Blackie's big kiwi tent for all of you.

ok, now that i am here, i proclaim myself dictator, and kick you, and your ego out.

no, really, you haven't changed anything about me, and you would have found that out had you actually READ ANYTHING I POSTED.

so, it really comes down to this, i love the movies, but i still hate you. wow. big change there,

and get out of BoP's country, i wouldn't want you spoiling it.

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 01-24-2003 at 10:49 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote