Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #41
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
yeh i didnt like german listening too much either. the middle was ok some bits were jsut pointless and the english bit was way hard. ah well. i got citizenship tomorow which is a completely pointless gcse!! but hey no revision for an exam suits me! and english lit on friday. you got hat too janny?

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #42
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Hey, well done Janny. There was a good report back from one of the people I know taking it also today. And yes, Eng Lit on Friday too.

When do everyone's GCSEs finish? Because I gather some people seem to have a last exam or two waaayyyy after everyone else
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:44 AM   #43
Janny
The Blobbit

Enjoy citizenship! Our school refused to make us take it! I dunno, it could be made into a political stand, failing it would be quite an honour for an anarchist!

I've got Islam Thursday (tomoz) and English Lit this Friday... I'm doing 'Catcher in the Rye'. What are you doing?

Hemel, that's happened with some of us too. My last exam is statistics on the 25th June. But it slows down quite a bit before that. Some people in maths set one wh don't take triple science or history have a to week break or something before statistics.

I pretty confident now, appart from... erm... any exams which are written... little nervous over English, but I should be okay. history is my big concern though... transpires I know nothing about anything... Musso-who?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #44
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

for english lit were doing lord of the flies, romeo and juliet and best words(poetry).

citizenship was actually hard!!! iw as writing right up til the last minute. my last exam is physics 23rd of june i think

Old 05-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #45
Janny
The Blobbit

Ah, triple scientist...
Yeah, had Islam today.. twas okay... not brilliant, but okay. Fascinating question:
'Islam values and encourages peace'. Do you agree?
Oh, the thought of what other people wrote! I personally elected to lay it on thick about how sad it was that they could even question that.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #46
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

not quite triple im doing double. english lit tomroo kinda worried but cant really be arsed. lord of the flies really is a shite book!!

Old 05-28-2004, 02:40 PM   #47
Janny
The Blobbit

Eng Lit was okay... yeah, little different from what I expected but okay... anyone else?

Old 05-29-2004, 06:06 AM   #48
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

wasnt too bad i guess. could have een alot worse. got stuck on wat to write for our lord of the flies question. which board u with? (AQA or OCR?) rom and jul was ok and poetry was not too bad. think ive got a B which is wat i got in mocks. so thats cool.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #49
BelegS
Enting

Wow! Never thought I'd see a GCSE thread. We folks in Pakistan give GCE which basically is equilant to your GCSE.
I have some pretty difficult papers coming up, specially Additional Maths. [never can get the hang of logrithms]

As for 'Islam Values and Encourages peace', well IMO it does.
Janny do you folks give Islam or 'Islamiyat'?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:31 PM   #50
Janny
The Blobbit

The Islamiat is only taught in the Madrasah in the mosques. Lessons are in the evening and in addition to normal school work. It's one of the numerous reasons why it is difficult for a Muslim to live in Britain.
I don't question for a moment that Islam encourages peace, as I said, I think it's really sad that the point is reached that the question uses a quote like that (only 'controversial' statements are used). The religion and the vast majority of its follows do, but I don't expect that many people in my year will be able distinguish between firstly the doctrine and its followers and secondly the peaceful majority and the militant minority.

I'm on AQA, but I think the format of the Lord of the Flies questions is different to the format of the other novels. What sort of grades do you want Hanza?

Old 05-29-2004, 01:42 PM   #51
BelegS
Enting

The Islamiat is only taught in the Madrasah in the mosques. Lessons are in the evening and in addition to normal school work. It's one of the numerous reasons why it is difficult for a Muslim to live in Britain.

Is Islamiyat or attending the evening madrassas compulsory?
Can you please explain why you feel that way?

I agree with you completely on your point concerning peace.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #52
Janny
The Blobbit

Sorry the first part was a bit of wry humour. We tend to learn phrases such as that. The Madrasah is not compulsory, but I think it is seen as a duty for Muslims inside there own comunity. There is a lot of emphasis on how hard it is to be a Muslim in the UK, the course wants to promote that kind of understanding.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #53
BelegS
Enting

Somehow I don't think that the wry humor on your part is far from the truth. I sometimes get this feeling that Muslims in Non-Islamic countries sustain added pressure to live accordingly to the rigours and try more to enforce a religious then their native country counterparts.

I know it for a fact that several people in Pakistan who were know to be very liberal [In context to Pakistan rural socity] virtually shut their female progeny up inside their houses upon going overcease.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #54
Janny
The Blobbit

Well it was only wry humour in terms of the fact it was learnt word for word, not because I was unsure if it was true.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #55
BelegS
Enting

Erm, are you allowed to give subjects in split parts? I mean like 3 in one sitting and the rest in another?
Old 05-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #56
Janny
The Blobbit

I'm sorry, I'm really not an expert on the Madrasah, I merely need to know it exists so I can mention it in an exam... actually now I've done the exam, I don't even need to know it exists...

Old 05-29-2004, 02:52 PM   #57
BelegS
Enting

No no, you mistook me, I was talking about the GCSE's.

Can you give 3 GCSE exams One June and the rest the next June?

Is it allowed?
Old 05-29-2004, 02:57 PM   #58
Janny
The Blobbit

Yes, normally you would take roughly 8 to 10 GCSEs at the age of 16, but you can take them at any age.

Old 05-29-2004, 03:19 PM   #59
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
I'm on AQA, but I think the format of the Lord of the Flies questions is different to the format of the other novels. What sort of grades do you want Hanza?
im hoping for all B's and a few A's. being in a grammer school we are expected to get B's and higher. thoguh i think Latin might end up as a C. How bout you Janny?

thats weird bout the english lit. what novel did you do?

Old 05-29-2004, 05:15 PM   #60
Janny
The Blobbit

I did The Catcher in the Rye. Maybe it was different because it was post 1914 literature.
I'm supposed to get, erm, many A*s. Except I have no faith in my teacher's judgement... especially the history teacher.