Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 12:52 PM   #41
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I'm imagining what you're saying now bropous.

If Shelob's gonna be bumped up to ROTK, then Frodo's wariness of Sam holding his precious all the way up to his claim on the ring in Samath Naur is gonna be concentrated EW acting. It's real scary just thinking about it.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 08:12 PM   #42
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

two towers will have to take a best makeup award..i dunno bout special effects becuz star wars episode 2 out soon ..i hate george lucas
Old 04-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #43
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Bingo, Arathorn, and like Sir Ian indicated, as far as the next two films go, we "ain't seen nothing yet".

The pics now out reveal a film which will win Oscars like no other. This is gonna be a HUGE hit. Return of the King will win even more.

IF there is a modicum of justice left in the world.

But we will see Elijah Wood revealed as an incredible actor in his own right.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:20 PM   #44
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gandalf

Dragging this up, do you think Two Towers will win more awards the Fellowship of the Ring? Now that FoTR has been released on video and more people have seen it, I think there will be more people interested in seeing TT.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 PM   #45
Entlover
Elven Warrior

I think TT will kind of coast at the Oscars, as people await the final part of the Trilogy. It is, after all, like the book, all one movie.
If the Oscar people have any brains, RotK will win all, but it's really not the end of the world if they miss their cue.

How many other movies have moots going on where they're being discussed a year after coming out (except Star Wars, which is really a juvenile movie).(ducks in case of flying objects.)

Who's talking about A Beautiful Mind now? Seen and gone.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:42 PM   #46
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I agree with Entlover, on all points (especially the Star Wars point. I am NOT a fan).

I do think that TTT should win best special effects, if Gollum in the trailer is any indication. A lot of people are supposing that they are still doing work on the character to make him the 'most life like CG character in history". A heck of a lot better than that darn Jar Jar.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:40 PM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I do agree on A Beautiful Mind - okay film (well, not as schmalzy as Ron Howard normally is...) but not particularly eye opening, or groundbreaking. At least you can say that LOTR is/will be! (Did I just say that?! )

But you know how these academy awards work. They don't give them to the people of outstanding merit, they give them to those which "deserve" the awards: this usually works by awarding the actor/director/etc a year AFTER their big "work". Russell Crowe SHOULD have gotten his oscar for The Insider, not Gladiator (as much as I loved that movie.) Following this trend, I think that TTT will sweep a few more awards this time around... maybe a couple more than FOTR, if that, but it won't a cleanout... not until ROTK comes out: it will be at that time that they will deem PJ et al "deserving" of the awards.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:45 PM   #48
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

what?

Some one said:
It seems that the Academy give awards to people who should have won the previous year (for example Russel Crowe who didn't get the Oscar for The Insider but got one for The Gladiator), so maybe the TT wil win. Guess we will just have to wait. Doh.

What The insider was nothing compared to Gladiator...*sheesh weird aussies*

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Gladiator, and Ridley Scott is one of my favourite directors, but Gladiotor really is nothing more than one of those box office hit type thing. Personally, I really do think that Crowe did a better job in The Insider as a fat, aging, scared whatever he was, than he did as the angst ridden Maximus.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-17-2002 at 08:54 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:57 PM   #50
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Re: what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeryn
Some one said:
It seems that the Academy give awards to people who should have won the previous year (for example Russel Crowe who didn't get the Oscar for The Insider but got one for The Gladiator), so maybe the TT wil win. Guess we will just have to wait. Doh.

What The insider was nothing compared to Gladiator...*sheesh weird aussies*
I might of said that. I havn't seen The Insider or Gladiator, but the critics seems to think The Insider is a better movie. I'm just going on what the critics have said (and BoP).
Old 09-19-2002, 06:55 AM   #51
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Oo! I hope Sean Astin wins Best Supporting Actor for Rotk! Even *if* TTT doesn't get anything - *shudders* - I am willing to forgive all - really! - if that happens... *thinks of what will happen in the next two movies* Eeek! Hurry up and get them out already!!! *runs off to heckle PJ* Sorry, I really am nasty to him aren't I? Sorry PJ!
Sean Astin for Best Supporting Actor!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:52 PM   #52
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

BoP

Didn't you yourself say that your opinion was..*snicker* I won't go there but I think you are nuts. or not I sort of am into war movies...*sigh* blood guts gore...it's marvellous (SP)

Old 09-20-2002, 06:53 PM   #53
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, we wouldn't want to credit his acting at all.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:38 PM   #54
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

BoP

NAH, me either

Old 10-28-2002, 02:32 PM   #55
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I think TT will win tons of Oscars! It's perfect in almost everything!
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #56
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Linarryl
I think TT will win tons of Oscars! It's perfect in almost everything!
Have you seen it already?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:45 PM   #57
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Oh, I wish I had.

I'm really thinking TTT will probably not get many Oscars this season, which is sad, but I agree with BoP, they aren't necessarily..er...what's the word I'm looking for? Correct? Blah.

If Elijah and Sean can pull it off (and I'm sure they can), I can most definitely see them getting Best Actor/Supporting Actor (though according to what Jackson has been saying, in the later movies they could probably both be considered the 'leading actors' of their part of the story).
Old 11-02-2002, 10:44 PM   #58
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I would LIKE to see TTT win something like best film or best director but I don't know if it will. (I thought FOTR should've won them too but I don't get everything I want!) TTT should win best special effects and but make-up. Well, how many days until the premiere, those Academy people better be watching it...
Old 11-12-2002, 08:15 PM   #59
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I think it's pointless to comment until we actually see the film, but still...

The problem with TTT and Best Picture or Director is that if Scorsese's Gangs of New York is any good, it'll take one or both of those, simply because the guy has never won an Oscar, and also, he's been working on this dream project for twenty years.

You see, Oscars can't be judged by the strength of a film alone - you need to look at the strengths of competitors. Thus far, this year, I already see a few major players.

Nomination-wise, Road to Perdition is already headed straight for Art Design, Cinematography, Costumes and Adapted Screenplay, and probably Director and Picture.

I love Minority Report and hope it isn't forgotten for Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay... but Art Design, Cinematography and Visual FX are practically locked for it already.

If Chicago meets expectations (and right now, it's my most anticipated film of the year behind TTT) it will be headed for many, many, MANY nominations from every department.

Gangs of New York is of course the anticipated Oscar titan, and whether or not it delivers will sway the whole course of next year's awards. Art Design, Cinematography and Costumes are almost a given at this point, from what footage has been seen so far.

And there are always, always end-of-year surprises.

Last year, FOTR could normally have won way more categorial awards, but you know, it's not every year that something as spectacular-spectacular as Moulin Rouge! comes out... this year, FOTR will definitely snag reams and reams of technical nominations - cinematography, visual FX, sound FX, makeup and art design are a given, and maybe costumes as well - but whether or not it will win is debatable.

I just hope something as pretty-good-but-not-wonderful as A Beautiful Mind doesn't steal it this year.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 04:07 PM   #60
Asfaloth
Sapling

I don't really mind what it wins.

It's like FotR, we know it was amazing, we don't need some Academy to tell us!
Asfaloth is offline   Reply With Quote