Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #41
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Can I vent for a moment? I went to All-State this week to accompany my friend on piano for his solo. I am an alternate in my district for trumpet. If anyone couldn't go I would get to go. Well, I get up there with all the All-State folks and my band director tells me that one of the trumpets in the White Band didn't go. That means that I would get someone to bring my trumpet at the last minute and I would get to play, right? Wrong. The guy canceled on Monday (3 days ago) and no one called to tell me that I would get to play. The president of the Bandmasters Association said that it was too late for me get my horn. So... now I'm back at home while my friends are up at All-State. Doesn't that just stink?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:16 PM   #42
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Ahhhhh!! We have Golden Empire festival tomorrow! *smacks herself with a clarinet* And our stupid band sucks . . . the stupid freshmen don't play, they just sit there purposely squeaking and playing wrong notes and our band director can't keep time. Grrr!! Must I resort to wearing a paper bag on my head??

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 11:26 PM   #43
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Ouch, guys. Must be tough for both of you!
Khamul, my band director has been plying flute since she was in jr. high. She says that every year when she was in high school she would try out for all - state, and every year she was either first or second alternate. No one ever got sick. I feel so sorry for her (and you)!

You know you're a band geek when...
~You actually get that commercial for Domino's where the mom says "Girls, don't eat with you oboes on the table." And you can name each of the instruments in the scene before where all the kids are playing...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:35 PM   #44
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I play violin, a tiny bit of piano, and I love to sing I have always wanted to play a band instrument just because bands always got to DO stuff. oh btw, I'm in gr.5 violin rcm and am struggling in gr1 piano rcm

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:59 PM   #45
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Arrgh. Another bit of musical venting here. Tomorrow is leadership camp where the leaders of the band get together and dicuss goals and stuff for the year with the director. Next week is regular band camp and the week after that, school starts. Well, I just found out yesterday that our band director has left us. The week before band camp and she just resigns. As far as I know, we don't have a new director yet. Tomorrow we're supposed to go and meet with her and maybe things will get a bit clearer. It just kinda ticks me off that she would wait this late to leave and not give us any time to get a new director. If we can get a director in time, I will probably be the one to show him/her how we do things since I'm the band president. Right now I'm feeling betrayed. Thanks for listening. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

Old 07-22-2002, 10:08 PM   #46
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Here's an update on the situation. Not that anyone really cares, but it feels better if I write it out. It turns out that she has a good reason to leave, so I'm not too mad at her anymore. Now I'm depressed because of the 4 loudest players in the band, 2 graduated and 1 quit. That leaves me. Most people brought their instruments today, and I hate to say it, but we don't sound so good. Another thing is that I'm worried about next year. About 1/4 of the band is made up of seniors and I wonder what's going to happen when we're gone. I guess I've got to help them make it through this year first. Sorry I made you read all this, but like I said, it makes me feel better to tell someone.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:27 PM   #47
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I can play the Piano, the Violin and the Saxaphone(alto). I'm probably the best at the piano. I'm currently learning how to play the drums, but I'm not very good at it.
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.

Last edited by Rei : 07-22-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:39 PM   #48
Lossei
Hobbit

Location: A lone hill in the field of Cormallen (ok, ok, Minnesota)
piano:5years

not much but atleast I play somthing

Chip the glasses and crack the plates
Blunt the knives and bend the forks
That's what Bilbo Baggins hates-
Smash the bottles and burn the corks

Cut the cloth and trend on the fat
Pour the milk on the pantry floor
Leave the bones on the bedroom mat
Splash the wine on every door

Dump the crocks in a boiling bowl
Pound them up with a thumping pole
and when your finished if any are whole
Send them down the hall to roll

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates
So carefully carefully with the plates
Lossei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:44 PM   #49
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Lossie do you like to play on a piano?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #50
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I played the clarinet once, but soon after decided instruments are highly vexing and invidious. At least when it comes to playing them.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:54 PM   #51
Sween
im quite stupid

i once tried to learn the recorder but as the teach said to me 'my dear lad ur just tone deft its not such a bad thing' i cannot do music. I take great pleasure from a bit of singing but again im not very good but who cares bring on the karoke.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:46 PM   #52
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I've played the flute for about a year, not very good yet. I play in a band with 15 people and only 2 other flutes, both of which are younger than me, which makes it pretty difficult.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:36 PM   #53
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I remember playing the flute in second grade. I could read the notes all right, but I never got the lowest tones right. My fingers just seemed to short. Every time I had to play a low note, I damaged somebody elses ears. I never touched a musical instrument afterwards, except a didgeridoo. Thank God that that has no holes to cover. Not that I'm good at it. Far from it, I haven't even mastered circumar breathing. Need more practise.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:11 PM   #54
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Pardon my asking, but what's a didgeridoo?? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 11:49 PM   #55
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

A didgeridoo is an Australian Aborigine (sp?) instrument. It's a long, hollowed out piece of wood that makes a hard-to-describe sound. If you've watched Survivor, you've probably heard a didgeridoo.

If you succeed in learning how to circular breathe, Eärniel, please tell me how.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:07 AM   #56
Earniel

Khamûl is right. See the picture if you want to know how it looks like. I believe the correct aboriginal name is 'Yedaki', not sure on that one though. It has no holes to cover and no notes to play. The prefect instrument for some one like me with no musical talent. You use your tongue and lips to make different sounds. The basic sound is a deep vibrating rumble.

You play it too Khamûl? I don't know if I ever be able to master circular breathing. I'm told it takes a great amount of practise. It's been too long since I've tried.
Attached Images
File Type: gif didge.gif (8.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-30-2002, 01:54 PM   #57
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

No, I don't play it, but I've tried to circular breathe on my trumpet, and it's too hard. Maybe someday...

Old 07-31-2002, 02:15 PM   #58
Earniel

On your trompet?! I thought it only worked on didges, never thought about other instruments. Funny but now you mentioned it, I guess it might be possible. Very original thinking.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:43 PM   #59
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah, it's possible. Wynton Marsalis can do it. I think that Kenny G might be able to do it too. For a good example of it by Wynton Marsalis, see if you can find Moto Perpetuo Op. 11. It's about 4 minutes long and he doesn't take a single breath during the whole song!

Old 08-01-2002, 03:22 AM   #60
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Updating my instrument list, in order of how well I play them:
Voice
Alto Saxaphone
Clarinet
Guitar (very little)
Piano (very very little)