Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2002, 10:42 PM   #41
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I read a tiny bit of the "interactive script" it sucked.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:10 PM   #42
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
I read a tiny bit of the "interactive script" it sucked.
There isn't much to go by, just from that. And you didn't give a reason! Why did it suck? I thought it was fine, if a bit cheesey, but it's only what, the first part of the movie and it's not in context!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:36 PM   #43
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Well yah, the writing was not good, i mean even compared to the dialogue in FOTR, and i think they used the word wan incorrectly. But you are right, it isn't a lot to go by. I wish it said somewhere what the plot was! or did it and i'm just blind?

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:55 PM   #44
Eruviel Greenleaf

I'm going to have to read it again, but really, there wasn't much in the way of dialogue anyway--mostly descriptive and that was good. In my opinion

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #45
Eruviel Greenleaf

The trailer for Ancanar will be released on the internet on Friday! Personally, I'm excited. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this project. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-08-2003, 12:49 AM   #46
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Weeird. It all sounds fishy, just adding my two cents. But I dont like the idea, I dont think its rude to Tolkien or whatever, it just sounds unoriginal. Like someone said before...fan fiction sorta. I like some but making a movie?eh..... But hey, I like fantasy, it could be good....we'll see.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:55 AM   #47
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I've never heard of the books that they are based on, are they really Tolkien works?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:01 AM   #48
Eruviel Greenleaf

It's not really based on a specific book--it's simply set in a world that's very much 'inspired' by Tolkien, with their own characters and basic plotline. It may be very derivitave of various works of Tolkien's, but it's not based on one or two books in particular.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #49
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

ok...i read on a website that Tolkien's friends and family who have seen LOTR weren't pleased with it, so i wonder what they'll think of this...
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #50
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

I've been on Ancanar before. It's a gang of people creating their own world of Tolkien. They get people to Dress up act and they take pics of them. Then do do some Animating and VWOLA!! They've got themselves there own Interactive Gamesite!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #51
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I don't like the idea at all. I think that it is almost insulting to Tolkien because these people basically took his ideas of creatures and languages and geographical areas and twisted them into their own things! And there are also just some annoying similarities to names and stuff I noticed from scanning the site; I'm basically thinking, are these people trying to honour Tolkien by using his ideas or are they just jealous that they can't think up their own stuff for themselves? I mean if I wrote books and then people came and took my basic ideas (even if they said it was based on my story) I wouldn't exactly want them to make up a whole new batch of character and places, you know?

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:12 PM   #52
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I don't like the idea at all. I think that it is almost insulting to Tolkien because these people basically took his ideas of creatures and languages and geographical areas and twisted them into their own things! And there are also just some annoying similarities to names and stuff I noticed from scanning the site; I'm basically thinking, are these people trying to honour Tolkien by using his ideas or are they just jealous that they can't think up their own stuff for themselves? I mean if I wrote books and then people came and took my basic ideas (even if they said it was based on my story) I wouldn't exactly want them to make up a whole new batch of character and places, you know?
Well you can technically say the same thing for any other work that has included Elves, Dwarfs or Orcs and even down the line to all of the number of different Video Games of a similar genre. I mean there are a bunch of things out there that have used things Tolkien has created in numerous forms, but through these things that is how it lives on in other forms, or course on a lesser plain
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 09:27 PM   #53
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by zavron
I've been on Ancanar before. It's a gang of people creating their own world of Tolkien. They get people to Dress up act and they take pics of them. Then do do some Animating and VWOLA!! They've got themselves there own Interactive Gamesite!
Well, it IS a story different from that of LotR. While I am not fluent in Elvish, I know enough to tell that some of the names are from Tolkien's Elvish; this I think is a tribute to him. If they were just stealing his ideas, would they have bothered to research enough for that? I noticed they didn't portray the Elves with pointed ears...interesting...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:06 PM   #54
Eruviel Greenleaf

I noticed the lack of pointy ears as well.

I see it as a tribute to Tolkien, and although they may not be the best writers, etc, I respect what they are trying to do, and I look forward to seeing the movie when it comes out.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-09-2003, 12:11 AM   #55
Earendil Overboard
Sapling

Looks like Cheese to me

I just checked out the site and saw a film on production. The main actor says, "The script itself is poetry. It's so beautiful!"

Then it shows a short scene with what looks to me like pretty BAD acting:

Curugon: I know not how we are to meet the yearly standards set before us. Already we are severely taxed. They are...good people.
Other guy: Don't worry. Good people will be spared.

Poetry?

Judging from the pictures at the site, it looks like this film was made by a small group of people. I think they just had the idea of capitalizing on the interest in fantasy generated by the LOTR movies and the thirst of fans for more; so they came up with a mediocre story set in an invented area of Middle-earth (maybe in the uncharted east?) and hired 2nd rate actors. Some of the pictures look nice, but I'm expecting all show, no substance. And it won't be showy on anything like the scale of PJ's movies anyway--just on a much smaller scale that appeals only to fantasy fans or those whose curiosity is aroused by LOTR. It's probably relatively low budget. So, if they can ride the wave created by LOTR, they'll probably make a nice profit. But what will this do for the fantasy genre and chances for really good productions based on Middle-earth? If it's as cheesy as I expect, it could really turn people off and set back people's expectations of fantasy to what they were before PJ's efforts perhaps raised the standard. And that could mean that producers won't see any money in further projects.

Cheap knockoff is right. Tolkien spent decades writing his novels, enriching them. These people tell a crap story of a noble who is the last heir to a valley? Sounds like a knockoff of Aragorn on much smaller scale. And this story will have none of the depth in meaning of Tolkien. It's really completely meaningless and just takes advantage of the rich story background that Tolkien created. Pathetic. :-(
Earendil Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:37 AM   #56
Eruviel Greenleaf

I have to agree, after looking at the site again, that it is pretty cheesy. The writing is not that great. But I appreciate what they are doing, and I doubt they are trying to capatilize on people's interest in fantasy, and on what PJ is doing. Rather, I think this is a genuine attempt at honoring Tolkien's work in a way that they can. Even if the script is cheesy and the actors are second rate, it does not mean they are simply trying to make money. I know, some, what it is like to try to make a decent film on a low budget, so I can appreciate what they're trying to do. They probably cannot afford really good actors, or great special effects. So what if they can't come up with a good, original story? It's near impossible to come up with something even close to original anyway! I know I've tried! Rather than seeing it as a cheap knock-off and an attempt to capitalize, I see it as a way to honor Tolkien. It may not be the way you or I would do so, but it seems to be an honest effort. Even if the movie turns out to be terrible, I will appreciate the effort they put in to attempting to make a movie that reflects what they see in Tolkien's works.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 01-09-2003, 06:59 AM   #57
Earendil Overboard
Sapling

Ok, I'll give them half a chance

Quote:
it seems to be an honest effort. Even if the movie turns out to be terrible, I will appreciate the effort they put in to attempting to make a movie that reflects what they see in Tolkien's works.O
Well, if you put it that way,...okay. I'll also admit you have a better attitude than I do. :-)
Earendil Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #58
Eruviel Greenleaf

Re: Ok, I'll give them half a chance

Quote:
Originally posted by Earendil Overboard
Well, if you put it that way,...okay. I'll also admit you have a better attitude than I do. :-)

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #59
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*bump*

Is this film released yet or what? Aside from being set in Middle-earth, it seems to have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Tolkien's works. This begs the question... why didn't they just make an original movie?

Maybe I read too much fanfiction, but it seems suspiciously like an "alternate universe" fanfic, but without abusing canonical Tolkien characters.

Though I have my doubts, it does look interesting and cool. From the website, I couldn't determine where or when in Middle-earth it was set. If it takes place in the east, I think that would pretty interesting.

But still... why not an original movie? How did they get the rights then?

The heck...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #60
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Maybe I read too much fanfiction, but it seems suspiciously like an "alternate universe" fanfic, but without abusing canonical Tolkien characters.
I think it goes farther than just being AU... There hardly seems to be anything to tie it to Tolkien except for some quasi-Elvish names. I honestly don't see the point.

I'm not too impressed by the cinematography shown by the trailers.

I think doing an original story (maybe 4th Age Gondor... something set in the East during the 3rd Age, like you said, Nurvs) could have been interesting, but I have my doubts about this...

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 02-11-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote